The Matrix
12 Years A Slave
Crash
Scarface
Inception
Latest Ape movie
Anything with super heroes lately that I've seen

Went slightly over the 3-5 remit by mistake
I would say the prestige is actually underrated, considering how good it actually is. The Matrix is quality in my opinion, certainly not overrated.

El-Manos

I think Gravity and Avatar are just rated as good entertainment films, blockbusters. Gravity a bit more so for how ground breaking it was visually and from a sound point of view.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gravity_2013/ 97% is as high as it gets.. A movie should not just be rated on those points. Yes, visually and sound wise it was amazing but the story was bang average if not poor.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Oslo, 31 August
Before Sunrise
Pulp Fiction
The Shining
Blade Runner
Fargo

And many others I can't think of right now.

Tarrou

You are a liar and not a gentleman.

I went to the theater to see The Matrix, had no, and I mean NO idea what it was about. Almost walked out when Trinity vanished as the dumptruck smashed into her in the phonebooth. I kept giving my friend sidelong glances (sorry man, I heard it was good). Glad I stuck it out.
I didn't say it wasn't a good film. I just don't think it's one of the best ever made as some believe it to be.

Revan

Assumptionman
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Oslo, 31 August
Before Sunrise
Pulp Fiction
The Shining
Blade Runner
Fargo

And many others I can't think of right now.
Need to watch this again. When I watched it (more than 2 years ago), I didn't like it at all and was crucified here for it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Agree. It was an amazing watch the first time at the cinema, the world was incredible, but the story was crap and I haven't enjoyed re watching it much.
That's the thing, it was amazing in cinema. Still the only movie that has made good use of the 3D. Haven't seen a single other film that needed it. Seeing it for the first time in the cinema was incredible. Much like when I tried Occulus Rift for the first time. That being said, it's the only way to watch it. Take the visual awesomeness of it away and there's not much left. One of those movies that give you a lot of bang for your buck but it's a waste if you buy it/rent it on BluRay/DVD.

Momochiru

I second Gravity!

Astronomy is a hobby of mine and I love all movies about space, but I have to say that Gravity was terrible... The acting was painful to watch, the dialogues/monologues were ridiculous and the plot was so predictable - the only good thing were the visual effects. This is a common complaint of mine: many movies nowadays have mediocre acting and shallow plots and rely only on the visuals to make them entertaining.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Inception
12 Years A Slave
The Departed
The Raid 2
Dark Knight Rises

All of these were either shit or complete letdowns.

Jev

1. Gravity- Al though visually and sound wise this movie is absolutely stunning, I found the story to be quite uninteresting and failed to impress me overall, did not care too much about the characters either. The ratings and hype this movie received is absurd.
Did you watch it in the theathre or at home? I imagine I won't think much of it when watching it on dvd/bluray eventually but in the cinema, I found it to be a completey unique and immersive experience. Really felt like being in space.

Also don't agree with Avatar. It isn't rated that highly and I actually think it's a pretty decent story, even when watching it outside cinemas.

The Shawshank Redemption: It's a good movie but nowhere near what it's being made out to be.

Godfather 2: I know I could get crucified for saying this but while I love the first one, the sequel is a complete bore. So, so long and the side story with De Niro as the young Vito is unneccessary.

Inception: It's a good blockbuster movie, just not as good as it's been made out.

Chinatown: I was extremely surprised and disappointed to find this rather boring. I had been looking forward to watching it for years.

Forrest Gump: Very sweet and feel-goody but how it came to be the classic it is, I don't know.

Oh, and Crash is downright terrible. Probably the worst Oscar winner for best movie ever.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Is stuff like Inception and Avatar really overrated when just about everyone here seems to think it's overrated? They're obviously more popular generally, but Avatar being overrated is one of the most common opinions out there.

Tarrou

Is stuff like Inception and Avatar really overrated when just about everyone here seems to think it's overrated? They're obviously more popular generally, but Avatar being overrated is one of the most common opinions out there.
When Inception came out a lot of my friends were raving about it, and claiming it was the 'best film of the year' and such. Also it's in the top 20 on imdb, which I know is not the the best barometer for judging films, but shows it's very highly rated by some.

Avatar was hyped up like crazy when it first came out as well. Perhaps this is because people slightly overrate visually impressive films they see at the cinema (Gravity, although I haven't seen it, could be another example).

'Inception' and 'Avatar' were films we were told we had to see in the Cinema, and the movie experience is so much better there, it may play a part in us overrating films slightly when we first see them.

Mali_Zeus

Inception
12 Years A Slave
The Departed

The Raid 2
Dark Knight Rises

All of these were either shit or complete letdowns.

Don't agree, bolded ones were excellent movies imo.

on topic - from top of my head - Silver linings playbook and American hustle. I dont know which was more boring of the two. Still havent got the clue what the fuss was all about, esp. American hustle.

Also - Argo. Boring, booooring movie.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
When Inception came out a lot of my friends were raving about it, and claiming it was the 'best film of the year' and such. Also it's in the top 20 on imdb, which I know is not the the best barometer for judging films, but shows it's very highly rated by some.

Avatar was hyped up like crazy when it first came out as well. Perhaps this is because people slightly overrate visually impressive films they see at the cinema (Gravity, although I haven't seen it, could be another example).

'Inception' and 'Avatar' were films we were told we had to see in the Cinema, and the movie experience is so much better there, it may play a part in us overrating films slightly when we first see them.
the hype about a movie when its released says little about how its rated. Avatar is fairly well rated nowadays. Nobody is claiming that this is a particular special movie besides its 3d visuals. Its clearly nonsense to name it under the category "overrated". Its the same with Gravity. There were a shitload of negative critics and most people who saw it arent necessarily raving about it. If you start to talk about this movies, you could easily come up with 100-500 without any problem.

Inception is a slightly more reasonable shout.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shawshank Redemption
This times a million.

Its an "Ok" film, its main thing that spoiled it for me being the complete and total suspension of disbelief that is required at all the key plot points.

Fargo- Again, its ok. I only saw it recently and was shocked at just how utterly lightweight it was as a film.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Star Wars is the big one, in terms of how hugely fetted it is for such a blah children's adventure yarn. Avatar & Inception never win "Greatest Film of All Time" polls or get treated to endless documentaries and commentaries on the cultural importance of what is essentially nothing more than Jurassic Park for people who were born 15 years earlier. A Zeitgiest film with groundbreaking effects that covers for the fact Lucas is a terrible writer and a poor director, who's lived off the man-child obsession of one generation his entire life. If they came out today they'd be laughed at.

I can't think of any other film who's cultural reputation stands as far from it's objective quality.

Definitely agree with Scarface too, and to an extent Godfather 2. In terms of being 'overrated' it often gets put above the first, which it doesn't deserve.

Last edited:

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
fecking hell, reading through this you lot just seem plain weird.
If you don't like Team America, Fargo, the Shining or Pulp Fiction, what DO you like?

Revan

Assumptionman
Star Wars is the big one, in terms of how hugely fetted it is for such a blah children's adventure yarn. Avatar & Inception never win "Greatest Film of All Time" polls or get treated to endless documentaries and commentaries on the cultural importance of what is essentially nothing more than Jurassic Park for people who were born 15 years earlier. A Zeitgiest film with groundbreaking effects that covers for the fact Lucas is a terrible writer and a poor director, who's lived off the man-child obsession of one generation his entire life.

Definitely agree with Scarface too.
And now I have to think for another poster to give my vote for poster of the year :(

Actually, only the first from the three original Star Wars movie was directed from him. The pinaccle of the series (The Empire Strikes Back) was directed by Keshner. Also, while it inspired more than three hundred of novels, more than dozen of video games, completely revolutionized movies, maybe, just maybe it isn't as overrated as you say.

Jev

Star Wars is the big one, in terms of how hugely fetted it is for such a blah children's adventure yarn. Avatar & Inception never win "Greatest Film of All Time" polls or get treated to endless documentaries and commentaries on the cultural importance of what is essentially nothing more than Jurassic Park for people who were born 15 years earlier. A Zeitgiest film with groundbreaking effects that covers for the fact Lucas is a terrible writer and a poor director, who's lived off the man-child obsession of one generation his entire life.
Star Wars' cultural importance is undeniable.

Maybe 'A New Hope' and 'Return of the Jedi' are slightly overrated (although still good movies) but 'The Empire Strikes Back' is an amazing movie in every way. 'Revenge of the Sith', if anything, is underrated in spite of Hayden Christensen's terrible acting, which is thankfully a bit better than in the god-awful 'Attack of the Clones'.

Ducklegs

fecking hell, reading through this you lot just seem plain weird.
If you don't like Team America, Fargo, the Shining or Pulp Fiction, what DO you like?
Whoah there, its not a case of you dont rate one so dont rate any of them.
The Shining and and Pulp Fiction are very good films, The Shawshank Redemption and Fargo, are OK.

Team America is a laugh.

Revan

Assumptionman
Star Wars' cultural importance is undeniable.

Maybe 'A New Hope' and 'Return of the Jedi' are slightly overrated (although still good movies) but 'The Empire Strikes Back' is an amazing movie in every way. 'Revenge of the Sith', if anything, is underrated in spite of Hayden Christensen's terrible acting, which is thankfully a bit better than in the god-awful 'Attack of the Clones'.
Revenge of the Sith is better than The Return of the Jedi IMO. Also, Christensen was alright there, but his acting on Attack of the Clones (which may be the worst acting ever) is indefensable.

Ducklegs

Revenge of the Sith is better than The Return of the Jedi IMO. Also, Christensen was alright there, but his acting on Attack of the Clones (which may be the worst acting ever) is indefensable.
Attack of the clones is a hopeless movie.

Its completely dreadful in all respects.