Film Overrated movies

El-Manos

The "Underrated movies" thread inspired me to start this one.

Name 3-5 movies which you find overrated or simply over-hyped by the public/critics.

1. Gravity- Al though visually and sound wise this movie is absolutely stunning, I found the story to be quite uninteresting and failed to impress me overall, did not care too much about the characters either. The ratings and hype this movie received is absurd.

2. Avatar - I quite like Avatar but having said that, I fail to see why it is rated as highly as it is, as the movie contains some very obvious flaws. I don't exactly classify Sam Worthington as a great actor either.

3. The Avengers - No, it's far from terrible but how on Earth did it make IMDB's top 50 list? It's not even the best Marvel movie ever made. Still enjoyed it though, not going to deny that.

Will update this list throughout the year.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
My 4:

Scarface - Not as good as De Palmas other film Carlitos Way IMO which deserves more credit.

Citizen Kane - Good movie but way too hyped IMO.

Iron Man 3 - Nowhere near the first two in the series for me.

Shawshank Redemption - Just not as good as it's made out to be.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think Gravity and Avatar are just rated as good entertainment films, blockbusters. Gravity a bit more so for how ground breaking it was visually and from a sound point of view.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer

It's not even that good. People just go 'OOOOH COLOURS' and think it's amazing

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I agree about American Hustle. It was decent but something was definitely missing.

The first one to come to my mind though, was The Big Lebowski. Absolute garbage in my eyes.

Edit 1: Others I can think of are Apocalypse Now, The Dark Knight Rises, Taxi Driver, Up, The Avengers, Captain America (both ones).

Edit 2: Oh, and There Will Be Blood. One great scene doesn't make it a great movie.

Last edited:

Tarrou

The Prestige
Shutter Island
Amelie
The Usual Suspects
Million Dollar Baby
Brokeback Mountain
The Matrix
12 Years A Slave
Crash
Scarface
Inception
Latest Ape movie
Anything with super heroes lately that I've seen

Went slightly over the 3-5 remit by mistake

Stringer

I agree about American Hustle. It was decent but something was definitely missing.

The first one to come to my mind though, was The Big Lebowski. Absolute garbage in my eyes.

Edit 1: Others I can think of are Apocalypse Now, The Dark Knight Rises, Taxi Driver, Up, The Avengers, Captain America (both ones).

Edit 2: Oh, and There Will Be Blood. One great scene doesn't make it a great movie.
Apocalypse Now is amazing. Coppola's best movie.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
La Vie d'Adèle (Blue is the warmest colour or whatever it's called)
Anything made by Wong Kar Wai
You dislike him just because the French love him so much.
I've only seen Blueberry Nights but I don't think that's a fair representation of his work.
It's awful, awful, awful. You have a lot of great cinema there to catch up with.

Revan

Assumptionman
Shawnshank Redemption - the great movie, but can't understand why he is regarded as (one of) the best ever.
Citizen Kane - see Shawnshank Redemption
Inception - decent enough, but nowhere near the best of the genre. It gives the impression that it is smart while being incredibly stupid. It also makes dumb people feel themself smarter.
Titanic - how on Earth this movie won 11 Oscars and 2billion of dallars from the cinema?
Avatar - the movie which has won more money than any other movie. Decent realization, embarrasingly weak plot.
300 - a pile of shit. Somehow rated by some people.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief

Nucks

RT History Department
The Prestige
Shutter Island
Amelie
The Usual Suspects
Million Dollar Baby
Brokeback Mountain
The Matrix
12 Years A Slave
Crash
Scarface
Inception
Latest Ape movie
Anything with super heroes lately that I've seen

Went slightly over the 3-5 remit by mistake
You are a liar and not a gentleman.

I went to the theater to see The Matrix, had no, and I mean NO idea what it was about. Almost walked out when Trinity vanished as the dumptruck smashed into her in the phonebooth. I kept giving my friend sidelong glances (sorry man, I heard it was good). Glad I stuck it out.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Foreign and subtitled films. 20 percent of a positive review can often be attributed to a self congratulatory pat on the back for the reviewer themselves. Par exemple:

The films of Almodovar
- What transgressive cinema looks like to the bourgeoisie.

Studio Ghibli - A twee, conservative milieu pervades much of the studio's output.

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance and other Park Chan Wook Films - Underneath the facade of exotic foreignism, it's really just a Michael Bay movie if produced by Tarantino.

Wittmann45

What are you, like a nihilist, man?

That's over the line, OVER THE LINE!

Lots of interesting choices so far that I do agree with. Saving Private Ryan is still a really good film, its just not the greatest war movie of all time, as is often cited

Revan

Assumptionman
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance and other Park Chan Wook Films - Underneath the facade of exotic foreignism, it's really just a Michael Bay movie if produced by Tarantino.

Oldboy is one of the very few movies that I have given a perfect rating. Sympathy for Lady/Mr. Vengeance are both decent. No fecking idea where does the comparison comes but is very weird. Bay has terrible plots with great effects, Park makes only drama that don't have any special effects, explosions or other shit.

The best current non-Hollywoodian director. Unless you're a hipster or something equally awful.