Film Overrated movies

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I really enjoyed Memento but watched it over a decade ago so my memory is a bit blurry. What didn’t you like about the ending?
I just realized I meant the ending of the Prestige, not Memento. Mixed them up.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
A lot of his stuff is "cool", and he's good at recycling other people's stuff in a way that makes it look original
I don’t think his stuff is cool at all post Pulp Fiction. Reservoir Dogs and PF aside I think Tarantino tries way too hard to be cool and I actually find most of his stuff desperately disappointing.

The only stuff he recycles is his own.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy some stuff he does but I always feel disappointed. OUATIH was just ‘ok’ for me.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Nolan's last good movie was the Dark Knight, everything else has been circlejerked to death that I swear most people love them only because they're told others love it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I didn't like it either...but I knew what it was about.
The only reason you knew what it was about is because you toss off daily into your Murderer of the Day toilet paper. Plus you also lived through it, you insular loud mouth decrepit twat. Dwazza is better than you

Last edited:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The only reason you knew what it was about is because you toss off daily into your Murderer of the Day toilet paper. Plus you also lived through it, you insular loud mouth decrepit twat. Dwazza is better than you

are you trying to be funny here?

Yagami

Good post resistant
or try and write an original movie with interesting characters themselves and see how hard it is.
I looked back at my post in here and I listed it. I remember this being a reason as to why i couldn't get into it myself. I just didn't find the characters interesting/entertaining. Though I think I liked John Goodman in it.

Fingeredmouse

I looked back at my post in here and I listed it. I remember this being a reason as to why i couldn't get into it myself. I just didn't find the characters interesting/entertaining. Though I think I liked John Goodman in it.
No matter what harsh words you say the Dude abides.

passing-wind

I too thought Joker was complete rubbish. Film followed the basic trajectory of a "rise and fall" element surrounding the characters sanity / experiences. It offered no diversity in foretelling a story.

Lion King 2019 with a 6.9 IMDB rating was full of yawns.

IrishRick

I found Once Upon A Time in America very hard to watch. 4 hours long with a lot of drawn out scenes. No one character I could invest in and the treatment/ brutality of women and their subsequent reactions utterly bizarre. It was not related to a good film

Volumiza

Well whatever you think of him, this is just plain wrong
Not in my view. Whatever clothes the film may be wearing it is always the usual QT stuff. Forced snappy dialogue, ridiculous OTT blood and groovy overthought soundtrack.

Sorry dude, just don’t get it. I think he’s a really great filmmaker but I would love to see him direct just a straight film for once.

RD and PF aside I’ve usually found myself pretty bored.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't like Tarantino either. In fact, I avoid his movies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Godfather 2: Boooring, and it was really mean of Michael what he did to Fredo
The Shawshank Redemption: Pfff, nice guy locked up and becoming mates with his fellow prisoners, laaame.
Citizen Kane: It's not even in color, who am I supposed to enjoy a movie that's all black and white.
The Dark Knight: It's so fecking obvious Bruce Wayne is Batman. Come on. Also, why did he swallow a speech distortion device.
The Original Star Wars Trilogy: Luke Skywalker is such a whiner and the duel between Anakin in Obi Wan in Revenge of the Sith had way more backflips than the one in A New Hope.

On the other hand, all movies with Dwayne The Rock Johnson are massively underrated. Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw is the greatest movie of all time. It has lots of banter, a hot chick and like, 5 explosions per minute.
you raised my blood pressure for a few seconds

mu4c_20le

Cant believe Scarface Big lebowski and Interstellar are in this thread. Ive watched each one at least 3 times recently too, they are three of the best films ever.
Can't believe you put Interstellar in the same sentence with the other two

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
you raised my blood pressure for a few seconds
I was sure at least 1 person would bite. Guess I laid it on too thick. These threads are always silly though. Mostly because overrated is a very overrated term. My wife hated the Godfather 2, it was too long and boring for her. Doesnt mean it's overrated, just means that Im married to an uncultured barbarian.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
What did I look in this thread for? Basically every film gets mentioned. I think some people mention them for effect.

Volumiza

What did I look in this thread for? Basically every film gets mentioned. I think some people mention them for effect.
I wish I’d not got involved either. Always impossible threads because one persons classic is another’s garbage and vice versa.

All my faves are being trashed. 2001 and Interstellar, impossible not to bite :lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wish I’d not got involved either. Always impossible threads because one persons classic is another’s garbage and vice versa.

All my faves are being trashed. 2001 and Interstellar, impossible not to bite :lol:
It's called opinion, mate. Everybody's got one.

Icemav

Fight Club.

I think it's horrific.
And I think we have reached peak contrarian.

We've had the box office smashes.

The big budget oscar winners.

The historically pioneering films.

The great director's materpiece.

The best films to not be oscar nominated.

...... Going to chuck in One flew over the cuckoo's nest and call it a day.

OleBoiii

I think a lot of people mix "overrated" with "dislike", which causes a few people in here to scratch their heads. It's possible to like a movie a lot and still find it overrated.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
And I think we have reached peak contrarian.

We've had the box office smashes.

The big budget oscar winners.

The historically pioneering films.

The great director's materpiece.

The best films to not be oscar nominated.

...... Going to chuck in One flew over the cuckoo's nest and call it a day.
All I can say in responses is that its a genuine opinion. I was fecking flabbergasted when I first watched it, which was fairly recently.

When the ending came and we see clips of him like beating himself up in the car park, people somehow thinking that's enticing and getting involved and ultimately an entire fight club exists as a result of his schizophrenia.. It's so daft!

Maybe I've interpreted the whole movie wrong. It's possible.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I know but it’s a hopeless subject because ultimately no one is right or wrong.
Um, that's kinda the point. You're not supposed to be right or wrong. It's more interesting finding out what makes people tick and why they like/dislike something rather than fretting over their opinion.

mu4c_20le

Why not? I mentioned 3 films that I find hard to be in this thread. Dont you rate Christopher Nolan?
I'm a big fan of Nolan, but like OleBoiii said, just because I find it overrated doesn't mean I think it's a bad movie. I just don't understand or agree with the many people that rate it as one of the best ever. I don't even think it's Nolan's best. I found the writing to be a bit contrived, and dragged on for too long. I also did not feel much of a connection between Cooper and his kids, which was supposed to be integral to the story.

Last edited:

Icemav

All I can say in responses is that its a genuine opinion. I was fecking flabbergasted when I first watched it, which was fairly recently.

When the ending came and we see clips of him like beating himself up in the car park, people somehow thinking that's enticing and getting involved and ultimately an entire fight club exists as a result of his schizophrenia.. It's so daft!

Maybe I've interpreted the whole movie wrong. It's possible.
Don't worry it wasn't specifically aimed at you, just a bit of fun because we have torpedoed a shed load of excellent (for different reasons) movies. Of course we are each entitled to an opinion and we are all wired slightly different. Saying that I think some of these suggestions are absurd especially when a list is compiled.

Fight Club is an intetesting one because it was a cult classic at the time and didn't get the big praise some felt it deserved. Though of course it is an homage to nihilism, anti-consumerism and 'toxic-masculinity'. These subjects tickle some people and the subject matter was somewhat zeitgeist.... sure its premise can be considered stupid i.e. that the decontruction of maternalistic modern society is set in motion by a schizophrenic emasculated man punching himself in the face in a car park. You are right, it is daft. This is me being diplomatic btw, as I feel somewhat forced to empathize why someone wouldn't like it, as I myself also dislike several 'popular' films not least Nolan's suicidally depressing take on Batman. However what I can say in defense of Fight Club is at least it is visceral and would go well with a beer.

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Any Marvel movie. I just find them all to be, at best, either decent or good. I feel like I'm dead inside for not giving a shit about endgame or whatever, but I just don't.

On twitter, I saw clips of people going nuts when Captain America grabbed Thor's hammer, and up to that moment, I didn't even know that was supposed to be a big deal.