Film Overrated movies

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think a lot of people mix "overrated" with "dislike", which causes a few people in here to scratch their heads. It's possible to like a movie a lot and still find it overrated.
That's not the issue - it still remains highly subjective, and therefore a pretty pointless thread. If F&F4 had gathered a massive critical acclaim and won 14 oscars including best acting for Vin Diesel, I believe there might be a case to talk about objective overrating - beyond that, it's just people quoting popular and/or acclaimed films/classics because they didn't personally enjoy them. That's literally 95% of this thread. What exactly is it achieving? If I want to know about other posters' tastes, the movie review thread is the place to go.

OleBoiii

it's just people quoting popular and/or acclaimed films/classics because they didn't personally enjoy them. That's literally 95% of this thread
Most of the posts don't contain lengthy elaborations, but I've always given them the benefit of the doubt and assumed that they could elaborate why they think the movie is overrated if asked to. Then again, articulating these things isn't easy for everyone, so I don't think these posts are pointless either.

Skåre Willoch

I think both The Revenant and Interstellar are overrated. They are very well made, with great cinematography, visual effects, and even the acting is absolutely top notch. But they're also very boring.

Withnail

That's not the issue - it still remains highly subjective, and therefore a pretty pointless thread. If F&F4 had gathered a massive critical acclaim and won 14 oscars including best acting for Vin Diesel, I believe there might be a case to talk about objective overrating - beyond that, it's just people quoting popular and/or acclaimed films/classics because they didn't personally enjoy them. That's literally 95% of this thread. What exactly is it achieving? If I want to know about other posters' tastes, the movie review thread is the place to go.
Well if we're going to go down that road what is anything achieving?

Are we all just screaming into the abyss?

RoyH1

I see a general tendency in this thread to call long films "boring" Some stories cannot be told in under 2 hours.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I'm a big fan of Nolan, but like OleBoiii said, just because I find it overrated doesn't mean I think it's a bad movie. I just don't understand or agree with the many people that rate it as one of the best ever. I don't even think it's Nolan's best. I found the writing to be a bit contrived, and dragged on for too long. I also did not feel much of a connection between Cooper and his kids, which was supposed to be integral to the story.
Ok fair enough, I am also a big fan of Nolan but I think interstellar is one of his best films but opinions will obviously differ.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think both The Revenant and Interstellar are overrated. They are very well made, with great cinematography, visual effects, and even the acting is absolutely top notch. But they're also very boring.
What do you need? An explosion every ten seconds or something? There is so much going on in Interstellar and Revenant is an amazing accomplishment.

Withnail

Also Interstellar, one of the worst supposed-to-be-good films I've sat through in a long time.

I'll happily watch tripe on Syfy knowing it's tripe.

I was shocked at a the time, everyone I asked in real life thought it was good.
Goddamn it I meant The Martian not Interstellar.

Total brainfart there.

I enjoyed the first half or so but it was fairly contrived and I was enjoying it less and less as Matt Damon kept pulling rabbits out of hats and then the ending... Jesus Christ.

Skåre Willoch

What do you need? An explosion every ten seconds or something? There is so much going on in Interstellar and Revenant is an amazing accomplishment.
No. They were both just boring.
I don’t know if it makes sense, but more explosions is the last thing both films needed.

Two beautiful films without any proper “tension”.
Sure, they were both intense in a way, but they were kind of predictable and... boring. I did enjoy them both to a certain extent, but I simply think they’re overrated. They’re good big budget movies, but not great stories. A lot of nice wrapping without good enough content.

How is the revenant an amazing accomplishment? Not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious. Other than the cinematography and acting, it wasn’t really all that great movie wise.

Volumiza

No. They were both just boring.
No. They weren't :lol:

I don’t know if it makes sense, but more explosions is the last thing both films needed.
It makes sense, neither film needs anything extra.

Two beautiful films
Yes they are, visually both are amazing accomplishments

without any proper “tension”.
So, no tension? I have to disagree. So many bits in Interstellar were tense, some really well judged scenes. Opening sequence, chasing the drone, the 'ghost', the duststorm, I could go on all the way through the film. Coupled with Hans Zimmers amazing soundtrack it's almost a perfect film ... in my eyes obviously.

but they were kind of predictable and... boring. I did enjoy them both to a certain extent, but I simply think they’re overrated. They’re good big budget movies, but not great stories. A lot of nice wrapping without good enough content.
Dude, saying Interstellar was predictable had no content is just wrong. Sorry. Just wrong. Interstellar is a long film but almost had TOO much content. The Sci Fi awesomeness was underpinned amazingly by the Father / Daughter relationship and the agony of being apart for both Cooper and Murph is one of my favourite things about the movie. Blight ruining the earth is a great and very credible scenario and the ending in the 4th D was awesome. Proper bonkers sci fi. It's an ambituos and brave movie. A fantastical and massive story.

How is the revenant an amazing accomplishment? Not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious. Other than the cinematography and acting, it wasn’t really all that great movie wise.
I guess film is divisive like anything else. I think a film can be an amazing accomplishment just because of acting and cinematography. I love a good 'Journey' film and The Revenant is a journey and had me riveted throughout from first scene to last. I thought it was almost a perfect film.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hurt Locker - a film full of nothing.
That first big film directed by Ben Affleck - No idea why it was critically acclaimed
In(co)herent Vice - absolutely nonsensical film
Joker - this is actually a good film. It's just not as good as made out to be
Nearly every Marvel film

amolbhatia50k

I wouldn't call Interstellar boring, but it's extremely overrated which, to be fair, is a theme with Nolan post Dark Knight acclaim (deserved too given how good that was). Same with inception.

I couldn't deal with more than 30 minutes of The Revenant. I do intend to go back to it but it made a poor impression on me

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
sorry, poor WUM attempt

it's one of my favourites films of all time!
Very glad you clarified this as I've offered to fight anybody who dares suggest that film in this thread.

I went to a theatre performance of Withnail & I a few years ago in Belfast and everybody was encouraged to bring tons of booze. Before they started the theatre staff told us that we had to take a drink everytime the words 'chin chin' were used within the play. I was an absolute mess by the end of it and enjoyed myself enormously.

FORK IT!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That first big film directed by Ben Affleck - No idea why it was critically acclaimed
I liked that film (assuming you mean Gone Baby Gone) but, looking back, it was a pretty cliched story saved by an excellent performance from Amy Ryan.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Has anyone mentioned Pulp Fiction? I mean I sat through it because of the hype. I even enjoyed it in large parts. But haven't been able to watch it more than once and don't understand the cult status with it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Most recently Uncut Gems. It's just noise.

Skåre Willoch

No. They weren't :lol:

It makes sense, neither film needs anything extra.

Yes they are, visually both are amazing accomplishments

So, no tension? I have to disagree. So many bits in Interstellar were tense, some really well judged scenes. Opening sequence, chasing the drone, the 'ghost', the duststorm, I could go on all the way through the film. Coupled with Hans Zimmers amazing soundtrack it's almost a perfect film ... in my eyes obviously.

Dude, saying Interstellar was predictable had no content is just wrong. Sorry. Just wrong. Interstellar is a long film but almost had TOO much content. The Sci Fi awesomeness was underpinned amazingly by the Father / Daughter relationship and the agony of being apart for both Cooper and Murph is one of my favourite things about the movie. Blight ruining the earth is a great and very credible scenario and the ending in the 4th D was awesome. Proper bonkers sci fi. It's an ambituos and brave movie. A fantastical and massive story.

I guess film is divisive like anything else. I think a film can be an amazing accomplishment just because of acting and cinematography. I love a good 'Journey' film and The Revenant is a journey and had me riveted throughout from first scene to last. I thought it was almost a perfect film.
You love both films, and that is fair. But the fact that you think both are almost perfect films really underlines my point about them both being massively overrated.

Maybe boring was the wrong phrase to use, but I struggle to find a better word for it. They just didn't click right with me, especially with all the hype they both got. I was looking forward to both films, and were very disappointed after watching them. They left me with an "empty" feeling. Not "almost perfect movies". Not even close.

I think @amolbhatia50k sums it up in a nice way.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Most of the later Tarantino films.

Withnail

They just didn't click right with me, especially with all the hype they both got. I was looking forward to both films, and were very disappointed after watching them. They left me with an "empty" feeling.
I think this is the essential problem.

Often due hype in the media or those in our social circle telling us how amazing a film is we go in with an expectation which is rarely lived up to.

This is why I won't read reviews or watch trailers whenever possible. Modern trailers are a massive bug-bear of mine.
Oh well I know all the major plot-lines and punchlines now so what's the point of watching the film.

Also, if someone starts gushing about a film I'll cut them off as nicely as I can. All I need to know is whether it's worth watching.

That way I can try to keep an objective mind and judge the film on it's own merits.

amolbhatia50k

I liked that film (assuming you mean Gone Baby Gone) but, looking back, it was a pretty cliched story saved by an excellent performance from Amy Ryan.
Just checked - it was as Argo

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Doh. Sorry, mate.

mu4c_20le

I think this is the essential problem.

Often due hype in the media or those in our social circle telling us how amazing a film is we go in with an expectation which is rarely lived up to.
I agree, I usually avoid trailers previews and summaries because I don't want any jokes or important scenes ruined for me. I watched Interstellar with zero expectations though. Still underwhelmed. I did like The Revenant however , in the same way I enjoyed Cast Away. It was well acted.

Not sure how Skare feels but I was not convinced at all by their relationship. In fact, I felt Randy Quaid had a stronger emotional connection with his kids in ID4 than Cooper. I actually liked the sci fi stuff, particularly the wormhole theory, I found it thought provoking. Still can't understand how some of you see it as a masterpiece though:p

evil_geko

This, a film can be amazing without some complicated, masterful story plot, there can be beauty in simplicity. You can make an amazing film without one word spoken. The Revenant is an amazing movie.

Volumiza

Not sure how Skare feels but I was not convinced at all by their relationship. In fact, I felt Randy Quaid had a stronger emotional connection with his kids in ID4 than Cooper.
As a father who has a daughter of similar age to Murph in the movie I couldn’t help but imagine myself in the same boat, having to say goodbye to my daughter and disappear with her not speaking to me.

That whole scene culminating in Cooper driving off with Murph eventually running after a cloud of dust with that music swirling about I found really powerful and that carried through the film for me.

My love of Interstellar comes from me growing up in love with 2001. Always loved the fantastical massiveness of space and great sci fi. Interstellar is just a continuation of that for me. In my eyes it is a masterpiece :lol:

RoyH1

Half of Clint Eastwood's films as a director are overrated in my book. They're solid yes, good some of them even, but other than Million Dollar Baby none of them are really memorable

OleBoiii

Half of Clint Eastwood's films as a director are overrated in my book. They're solid yes, good some of them even, but other than Million Dollar Baby none of them are really memorable
You made me curious so I checked his IMDB profile. Holy shit! He's directed 41 films in less than 50 years. He must be a workaholic. I've only seen 3 movies of his: Letters From Iwo Jima, Gran Torino and American Sniper. Good, decent, meh.

Million Dollar Baby is on my to-watch list.