Overrated Players

JSArsenal

I'll start

Didier Drogba- He scored a few cup final goals and people compare him to the best premier league strikers at all times. Not a chance. He never had the technique or goal scoring record to hang up there with Aguero, Henry & Shearer, even Rooney was better.

Go.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
You realize goals aren't everything in football. Without Drogba Chelsea would never have won their first UCL.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Zaha. He's had a decent start to this season but his stats aren't anything special and if he was that good, then someone would've taken him off of Palace ages ago.

Edit: I also disagree on Drogba. Terrible shout.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Eden Hazard. Somewhat underwhelming for Belgium relative to his status, and his CL career is completely forgettable.

Mike Smalling

I'll start

Didier Drogba- He scored a few cup final goals and people compare him to the best premier league strikers at all times. Not a chance. He never had the technique or goal scoring record to hang up there with Aguero, Henry & Shearer, even Rooney was better.

Go.
Yeah, technique was pretty mediocre.

204Red

I'll start

Go.
There was a period of time (I think it was during Chelsea's 2009-10 title run in) where Drogba was utterly unplayable... a one man wrecking crew. I think he got something like 29 goals that season. He had some injuries and there was that weird period when he was 2nd choice at Chelsea under Scholari / Hiddink/ Grant... he may have not sustained it, but his top level was up there with the best.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'll throw a Liverpool one in and say that Firmino is massively overrated now. He's become fairly useless since we moved away from playing a false 9. Pundits still talk about him like he's a massive goal threat.

Kai Havertz is another one. I don't really get it with him and he's been fairly underwhelming considering the price tag.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Zaha. He's had a decent start to this season but his stats aren't anything special and if he was that good, then someone would've taken him off of Palace ages ago.

Edit: I also disagree on Drogba. Terrible shout.
Haven’t they been pricing him out of moves for years now? He’s been Rice’d, no?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I'll start

Go.
Potentially one of the worst opening posts ever on the caf. Most certainly the worst of 2022.

ThatDutchPerson

Supports
FC Groningen
Ignoring the absolute insanity of calling Didier Drogba overrated:

Dybala. Every transfer cycle he’s referred to as a top player, but in my mind he’s 28 and I’m still waiting for him to fulfill this great potential he supposedly has.

tomaldinho1

Terrible opener :lol:
Drogba could genuinely occupy two CBs, guy was unplayable in big games and remember Frank took their penos.

Might be considered a terrible shout but I’d say Foden. He’s a very good player but I saw people putting him in the list of their top 3 players in world football…that’s fully insane to me.

Also Rice, I really don’t get the hype. Again, good player but nowhere near the level some people have him pegged at i.e. best DM in the league etc. madness.

The Purley King

Terrible opener :lol:
Drogba could genuinely occupy two CBs, guy was unplayable in big games and remember Frank took their penos.

Might be considered a terrible shout but I’d say Foden. He’s a very good player but I saw people putting him in the list of their top 3 players in world football…that’s fully insane to me.

Also Rice, I really don’t get the hype. Again, good player but nowhere near the level some people have him pegged at i.e. best DM in the league etc. madness.
foden would look great in any team so I disagree with that shout but rice is incredibly limited.
If we signed him he’d be exactly the same as mctominay. Just not skilfull enough on the ball.

JSArsenal

"Scored a few cup final goals" :lol:
Maybe I'm just a bitter and twisted Arsenal fan.

I said Drogba's overrated that's all. He doesn't belong in the top echelon of premier league strikers and there's no shame in that.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Maybe I'm just a bitter and twisted Arsenal fan.

I said Drogba's overrated that's all. He doesn't belong in the top echelon of premier league strikers and there's no shame in that.
He's at least 1 tier better than Lukaku yet kaku has way more goals. What does that tell you about the goals stat?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Disagree on Drogba. He's a weird one in that fans tend to remember him as a lethal goalscorer, even though he really wasn't, and it was every other aspect of his game that made him a phenomenal player.

Frank Grimes

I'll start

Go.
Scoring all those cup final goals is what made him special. Big game player, absolutely phenomenal player.
Someone's pissed off Henry never scored a final goal for Arsenal.

BerryBerryShrew

Roy Keane... poor man's Robson and only rated so highly because he was lucky enough to be playing in a midfield with giggs Scholes and beckham
joking
Almost missed the white text! To be fair though, we already had Didier feckin Drogba as the first post so nothing would surprise me. Just waiting for someone to mention Zidane now...

Andersonson

What's with the threads recently? Drogba was unplayable for a couple of seasons and CB's was terrified of him. Perfect striker for that team

Baxquux

Rice 2 years ago was being over-rated relative to his then-ability compared with ill-defined potential. These days, its true that he's still not as consistent as he'd need to be in order to fully merit the Keane/Vieira (or even Fernandinho) comparisons, and someone like our own Casemiro has a more fully developed sense of positioning in terms of neutralising attacks and start counters, Kante is more agile across the ground and so forth. But his anticipation, consistency in driving with the ball, ability to play as a 6 and and an 8, and short-passing have all improved over the last couple of years. If we're firmly established back in top-4 by 2024 and he hasn't moved to Chelsea by then, I could see him as one of our two statement signings that Summer as a long-term Casemiro replacement.

Foden would look more impressive for an upper mid-table team, or even an Arsenal. City are so regimented that unless you're a De Bruyne breaking defensive lines with key passes several times a game, as opposed to working angles and moving the opposition around alongside your full-back and number 8, or you're the focal point getting 30 goals a season ala Aguero (and now, sadly, most likely Haaland), its hard to look outstanding. He's probably closer to top 30 than top 3 though in any case....

BerryBerryShrew

To answer off the top of my head:

Van Dijk: nowhere near as good as he's made out to be

Xavi: I'll get stick for this, but he's seen by many as a GOAT midfield contender. I think he was excellent but not to that degree.

Lahm: Again, very good player. But hyped up to ludicrous levels- there are plenty of people who put him above Dani Alves which is ridiculous imo.

KeanoMagicHat

Drogba is actually underrated because of his goal record. Doesn’t take into account how he bullied defenders (apart from Vidic), his brilliant link up play and overall presence and how he nearly always performed in big matches. Far, far better than Lukaku for example who scored more goals.

Theonas

Scout
I'll be a bit controversial here and go for Vieira. Formidable in the PL, although we have to say that was by no mean a golden age for the PL, it was not bad but he basically had one top team to compete against. And his record in the CL and internationally is mediocre. I don't understand why he gets compared to the very best midfielders who did it at a much higher stage.

Theonas

Scout
I'll start

Go.
Drogba gets mentioned among the greats and rightly so but I think when people talk about the best PL striker, no one really gets a mention bar Henry and Shearer. I think that's fair overall as I'd put him in the top 5 but the top 2 should be reserved for Henry and Shearer.

KeanoMagicHat

To answer off the top of my head:

Van Dijk: nowhere near as good as he's made out to be

Xavi: I'll get stick for this, but he's seen by many as a GOAT midfield contender. I think he was excellent but not to that degree.

Lahm: Again, very good player. But hyped up to ludicrous levels- there are plenty of people who put him above Dani Alves which is ridiculous imo.
I disagree with all of them but I'll focus on Lahm, why is it ridiculous to put Lahm ahead of Alves?

acolyte

This is on the verge of becoming an unpopular opinions thread.

Anyway, my pick is Michael Carrick.
No white text, I'm serious

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Eden Hazard. Somewhat underwhelming for Belgium relative to his status
Really? My memory of him at tournaments is that he’s generally been Belgium’s best player, better than KDB. I’d say those two players are about the same level. Neither has a great CL record, but it’s very fine margins there. Average players can have a moment in the final/semi final and become legends.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'll start

Go.
Is anyone reading this? It's a disgrace, it's a disgrace! It's a fecking disgrace!

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'll throw a Liverpool one in and say that Firmino is massively overrated now. He's become fairly useless since we moved away from playing a false 9. Pundits still talk about him like he's a massive goal threat.

Kai Havertz is another one. I don't really get it with him and he's been fairly underwhelming considering the price tag.
Agree on Firmino now, it would have been a good move to take the money this summer (and maybe tried harder to keep Mane?). Havertz: I can’t see how so much fuss was made about him 3-4 years ago, he was made out to be “generational” or whatever at the time.

People mentioning Rice: Definitely agree there. To be going well over £100 million for him would be madness. Kalvin Phillips was better than him at Euro 21, and midfield was the weakest department. Rice was a big part of that.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

Really? My memory of him at tournaments is that he’s generally been Belgium’s best player, better than KDB. I’d say those two players are about the same level. Neither has a great CL record, but it’s very fine margins there. Average players can have a moment in the final/semi final and become legends.
Yeah Hazard was silver ball at a World Cup. Maybe the best performance by a Belgian at a major tournament ever?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I'll be a bit controversial here and go for Vieira. Formidable in the PL, although we have to say that was by no mean a golden age for the PL, it was not bad but he basically had one top team to compete against. And his record in the CL and internationally is mediocre. I don't understand why he gets compared to the very best midfielders who did it at a much higher stage.
He won literally everything there is to win at international level. He’s a European and World Champion. This is even worse than the OP.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Eden Hazard. Somewhat underwhelming for Belgium relative to his status, and his CL career is completely forgettable.
My memory of Belgium vs France in that 2018 semi final is KDB ghosting while Hazard was a one-many army in attack.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'll start

Go.
Arsenal fan saying Drogba is overrated. Quite the funny one here.

Trequarista10

Tevez.

He was good, very good even, but nothing special. He wasn't on the same level as Rooney when he was with us. I think his status was lifted due to the manner in which he left, and moving to City the same summer Ronaldo left, and the fact we replaced him with Owen on a free, and Berbatov never quite fit. The narrative became "United lose Ronaldo and Tevez", but bracketing them together was nonsense. There were many forwards who could have replaced Tevez, he was probably in the top 20-25 or so forwards in the world at the time I'd say as a rough guess, whereas Ronaldo was 1st or 2nd and Rooney top 5-10.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Winner here

Notable shouts Firmino, VVD, Neville(Seeing him in some EPL all time 11 was bad enough)

Nuts to have Drogba here. Genuinely one of the greatest big game player. Maybe scrolling down I might see Ronaldo and Messi somewhere