Owen Hargreaves | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

umair

Hargreaves back in three weeks - Manchester United - Football - Sport - Manchester Evening News

SIR Alex Ferguson expects Owen Hargreaves to be making his first-team return in three weeks.

The Manchester United midfielder returned to Carrington last month after spending a year in the United States recovering from ground-breaking surgery on both knees to combat a long-standing tendinitis problem.

Hargreaves was initially accompanied by his personal physiotherapist before care was transferred to the United medical staff.

The 28-year-old is progressing well. And though Ferguson is bound to be planning a low-key return on reserve team duty somewhere, the Scot feels Hargreaves will be available again at the start of next month.

"Owen is doing a lot of good work now," he said.

"He is making great progress, which we are very pleased about.

"It is not a thing you have to rush because he has been out a year.

"We have to monitor it a bit more closely but he is giving us good signs.

"He should be back in the first-team level in three weeks from now, easily."

In theory that would give Hargreaves a chance of being fit for the eagerly-awaited encounter with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on November 8.

It would seem unlikely Ferguson would pitch the former Bayern Munich star into such a high-profile occasion, so an outing immediately after the international break that follows is far more likely, particularly as United should have booked their place in the Champions League knock-out stages by then.

Rahul

I know its cliche to say this, but after his long absence, it'll be like having a new signing.

But he'll have one time trying to topple Fletcher or Carrick from that position.

Ekeke

I know its cliche to say this, but after his long absence, it'll be like having a new signing.

But he'll have one time trying to topple Fletcher or Carrick from that position.
Yep. It is, every season...

032Devil

In theory that would give Hargreaves a chance of being fit for the eagerly-awaited encounter with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on November 8.

It would seem unlikely Ferguson would pitch the former Bayern Munich star into such a high-profile occasion, so an outing immediately after the international break that follows is far more likely, particularly as United should have booked their place in the Champions League knock-out stages by then.

SAF will ease him back slowly - probably as a sub for a few games first.

Hargreaves himself said that it will be about 5 weeks when he was a guest on England's midweek game.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
After a long injury like that, the chances Owen might get injured again are big
How so? I think the fact they've nurtured him back to fitness (I read somewhere that he COULD have been training during pre-season) is probably a telling tale he's 100% almost and ready to go.

Mind you, the injury is pretty intense.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
After a long injury like that, the chances Owen might get injured again are big
Yeah, he's bound to get niggly injuries for a while to come. His body will have to readjust to the rigours of the PL and there will be strains along the way.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Really can't wait to have him back and gives us options in 3 areas of the park.

How so? I think the fact they've nurtured him back to fitness (I read somewhere that he COULD have been training during pre-season) is probably a telling tale he's 100% almost and ready to go.

Mind you, the injury is pretty intense.
After such a long spell out niggly muscle injuries are likely. Just as long as it's not his knees he should be ok.

prateik

he was supposed to be back for the CL game in the first week of november ..
he is behind schedule :mad: :mad: :mad:

davisjw

I'd rather have him wait and come back fully prepared than come back and reinjure himself.

We always seem to get a player back from injury that's like a new signing, Park last year.

Ekeke

It wasn't, but that doesn't suggest that Hargreaves will re-injure himself either.
He has twice as much chance to pick up niggles though as its not just one injured knee. So the comparison to Ruud was only half accurate.

Nucks

RT History Department
He has twice as much chance to pick up niggles though as its not just one injured knee. So the comparison to Ruud was only half accurate.
I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment.

Usually when an athlete picks up injuries after a major injury, it is because their body is subconciously compensating for the injury. If you blow out a knee, you begin to use the other leg as a crutch to protect the "injured" one. This leads to groin/hamstring/hip flexor problems.

I'm not sure how the body is going to react to two equally buggered knees. It's not like he can compensate with one leg or the other, he literally doesn't have a leg to stand on in that case :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So by your logic he has twice as much chance of picking up an injury because he has two sur-gically repaired limbs. :)

Ekeke

So by your logic he has twice as much chance of picking up an injury because he has two sur-gically repaired limbs. :)
Only two? I'd be more concerned with that than the chances of him picking up another injury.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Our best set piece taker, best penalty taker, best crosser of the ball (after Rooney), one of our best tacklers, one of our best engines. Not great at short passing, can slow our attack at times. But athletic, versatile, dynamic and CAN play in the middle of the park against top opposition (Anfield 2008 I believe).

A debate will soon follow about if he is bettere on the right or in the middle. Then another debate will start about who is better Hargreaves or Carrick.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Our best set piece taker, best penalty taker, best crosser of the ball (after Rooney), one of our best tacklers, one of our best engines. Not great at short passing, can slow our attack at times. But athletic, versatile, dynamic and CAN play in the middle of the park against top opposition (Anfield 2008 I believe).

A debate will soon follow about if he is bettere on the right or in the middle. Then another debate will start about who is better Hargreaves or Carrick.
i think he can be a good RB too

RedGib

I was hoping he might make the CC game with Barnsley, as I am going!
looking forward to seeing Obertan, but would have been delighhted to see the curly hair wonder more!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's gunna have one helluva fight on his hands for a place. Fletcher's been outstanding, as has Giggs, Carrick is showing signs of getting back to form after turning in his best performance of the season so far against Bolton, Scholes is Scholes and Anderson has been very impressive recently too.

The only opening for him could be either on the wing or at right back.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He's gunna have one helluva fight on his hands for a place. Fletcher's been outstanding, as has Giggs, Carrick is showing signs of getting back to form after turning in his best performance of the season so far against Bolton, Scholes is Scholes and Anderson has been very impressive recently too.

Indeed. The right side of midfield is there for the taking if he plays well to be honest.

Nem 7

Don't be stupid he will walk back into the team as he is the only midfielder capable of doing his job.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Don't be stupid he will walk back into the team as he is the only midfielder capable of doing his job.
Exactly, Fletcher's just a bit rubbish and only gets in the team because of Sir Alex's Scottish bias, and Carrick's bound to be sold any time soon because that £18m was a big waste of money, Scholes and Giggs are past it and Anderson's clearly not progressing at all.

Get your head out of your arse and start watching our team play football mate.

Anderson's been better this season, he's more reliable and still has the ability to pick a pass to cut right through a team at any point. Scholes has been great this season, his passing has been right up there with the best this season. Giggs has been one of the best players in the league. Fletcher's been our best centre mid overall. Only Carrick's been below par this season, and even at that he's been better in the past couple of weeks.

Nem 7

Exactly, Fletcher's just a bit rubbish and only gets in the team because of Sir Alex's Scottish bias, and Carrick's bound to be sold any time soon because that £18m was a big waste of money, Scholes and Giggs are past it and Anderson's clearly not progressing at all.

Get your head out of your arse and start watching our team play football mate.

Anderson's been better this season, he's more reliable and still has the ability to pick a pass to cut right through a team at any point. Scholes has been great this season, his passing has been right up there with the best this season. Giggs has been one of the best players in the league. Fletcher's been our best centre mid overall. Only Carrick's been below par this season, and even at that he's been better in the past couple of weeks.
Hello Mr. Knee Jerk

No one said our other midfielders were shit, Hargreaves offers something different to all of them which is why we pursued him, which is why we spent 20 mil knowing he's a crock.

He will play every big game like he always has for us.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You said he'll walk back into the team, which is quite clearly rubbish. He might well play in most big games, but then most of our games aren't big games, and he won't walk into the team for those games. He'll have to fight his way in there, just like everyone else.

Fletcher can do everything he does besides take a good free kick.

johnmufc

Absolutely. This is a good situation to have.
When Hargreaves come back, he will have a tough time trying to get into the side... This can only be a good thing - it will give Hargreaves added motivation to come back stronger than ever, and it will give our current group of midfielders a bit of competition.
The same applies to the other positions he is vying for: right back and right wing.

:houllier:

Nem 7

You said he'll walk back into the team, which is quite clearly rubbish. He might well play in most big games, but then most of our games aren't big games, and he won't walk into the team for those games. He'll have to fight his way in there, just like everyone else.

Fletcher can do everything he does besides take a good free kick.
Fletcher while is the closest to him in style of play lacks the natural aggression to unsettle teams, also I find that Fletch does his best work in the oppositions half while Hargo in our half.

"walk into the team" let me help you

Every CM is playing well now - if Hargo was fit for sunday - regardless of the form of our other CM's - he'd play.

Status
Not open for further replies.