Owen Hargreaves | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimo

Gareth Barry injury hands Owen Hargreaves England chance - ESPN Soccernet

Hargreaves to get shock chance?

England's medical staff have questioned the chances of Gareth Barry being fit within four weeks - and it means Manchester United's Owen Hargreaves could get a shock call-up into the World Cup squad.

Last weekend Hargreaves made his first appearance in just over 20 months, coming on for the final 20 seconds of a 1-0 win at Sunderland. It could be one of the most remarkable comebacks if he is called up for the provisional World Cup squad of 30 to be named on Tuesday.

The news comes after Barry was ruled out with ankle ligament damage, with his club stating he would be out of action for four weeks.

But Soccernet can reveal that it is believed Barry will not be able to play for seven weeks, and he will link up with the England backroom staff on Monday for an assessment ahead of the squad announcement.

Fabio Capello hasn't given up hope on Barry, but Hargreaves is "under consideration" for a sensational comeback. Soccernet has been told by FA insiders that Hargreaves is most definitely a frontrunner for a shock return to the national team.

My source tells me: "One week ago I would have said that it is a little too late for Owen Hargreaves - not now. With Gareth Barry's situation, Owen Hargreaves has a chance - for certain. It is possible that he will be invited to attend the England training camp as a member of the provisional squad of 30.

"Hargreaves has had just 20 seconds football, maybe he will get a little longer on Sunday, but it is now possible that he will get the chance to make the 23.

"There will be no decision on Gareth Barry, though, until Monday, when the England medical staff have the opportunity to assess his injury.

"Initially we were told that it was five or six weeks, but it might even be six or even seven weeks, which would have ruled him out. However, the club have made a statement that it could be four weeks, and if that is true, that will give him some chance.

"We are dealing with a ligament injury though, and the medical staff will need to take a careful look at him, to check precisely how deep the injury is. If it is confirmed that it will be 100% four weeks, then probably he will have time to recover and will be in the 30."

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
but he has only played 20 seconds in the past 2 seasons!

Shimo

Oh come Hargreaves hasn't put a foot wrong in all his time on the field this season. He's won every ball that has been there to be won. You can't discount that kind of statistic.

Shocking would be an understatement but, if the guy really is fit - England don't have better player for the role.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Oh come Hargreaves hasn't put a foot wrong in all his time on the field this season. He's won every ball that has been there to be won. You can't discount that kind of statistic.
Terrible passing percentage though

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Im sorry...what?

Dont get me wrong, I love Hargreaves, hes my favourite player, but come on, he hasnt played a propper game for nearly two years and has only just made his first first team appearence in the same amount of time for a matter of seconds and yet, with one game of the season left which he wont start in and would be lucky to get half hour game time you think hes ready to compeat in the biggest tournament in football?

As much as I love Hargreaves, the WC is out of his reach
Sorry mate, the comment was more of a pisstake, along the lines of the " best performance all season" and the grey area that is the English midfield. Although despite the comments put out today I never thought he would have a chance for south africa :D

Nucks

RT History Department
If Hargreaves IS selected, I highly doubt he will play. That is unless England's entire midfield is struck down whilst in SA.

I have doubts about his fitness and match sharpness. You cannot miss competitive football for such a long time and simply turn up at the World Cup. If Hargreaves isn't sharp enough then he shoudnt go. Besides he does owe his club some action rather than his country.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have doubts about his fitness and match sharpness. You cannot miss competitive football for such a long time and simply turn up at the World Cup. If Hargreaves isn't sharp enough then he shoudnt go. Besides he does owe his club some action rather than his country.
If he's called up it will probably be as a back up, in which case the added training will be good for him.

Ekeke

Let him go, hope he plays and maybe someone else will be conned into buying him after 1 and a half good matches in an international tournament.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think we should hope he gets to SA.

At least you know he is ready to go when next season comes around or you know that his knees cant take more than 2 matches a week.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Owen in the WC and United to win the PL
Worth a £1 on that double but only on 1000-1

Longsden_7

Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves stormed out of Old Trafford after being left out of the side to face Stoke on Sunday. Hargreaves had hoped to force his way into Capello's squad.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves stormed out of Old Trafford after being left out of the side to face Stoke on Sunday. Hargreaves had hoped to force his way into Capello's squad.
If its true then Hargreaves is an idiot. He should have a bit of trust towards the club who sticked to him in the past 18 months.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
It's from The Sun I assume.

Well that's that settled then.

Hans Moleman

The Sun!

I love how the entire basis of the story is that he left looking unhappy, even though the club has already said he was feeling unwell. Don't most people look unhappy when they're unwell? I'm sure he was unhappy due to that, and also that he couldn't make the team because somebody (or himself) had decided he wasn't well enough to take part.

Just pure ridiculous speculation designed to get eyes on their bog roll of a newspaper.

SecondFig

Plus last time he came back from injury he admitted later that the comeback had been too soon and too intense - causing his injury to flare up again. I'd have thought he'd want a full pre-season under his belt to get back to full fitness, rather than risking everything to go to the World Cup and maybe play 3 or 4 games.

Besides, I doubt he seriously thought playing 25 minutes against Stoke in a dead rubber was going to win him a place in the world cup squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.