Owen Hargreaves - The Pundit

Andy_Cole

I've read in a few places how bitter he was last night towards us. To be honest I haven't heard too much from him since he left United. I remember he blamed our staff and such, but has he been that bitter as he was yesterday for the past few years?

I'd like to see some of his anti-United quotes over the past few years if anyone can find some of the shocking ones of his.

Varun

Staff
I though he was stupid in saying Mitrovic shouldn't have been sent off because it's early in the game but he goes on to say this about coutinho's red.

If anything, it was Payet that goes into coutinho, stupid red card.

fecking hell :lol:

drdoityourself

I though he was stupid in saying Mitrovic shouldn't have been sent off because it's early in the game but he goes on to say this about coutinho's red.

If anything, it was Payet that goes into coutinho, stupid red card.

fecking hell :lol:

Didn't listen to his commentary, what did he say about the Coutinho red? For me it was as obvious a yellow card as you're ever going to see. Payet fooled him and Coutinho's sliding tackle ended up taking the player not the ball, always a sending off.

Varun

Staff
Didn't listen to his commentary, what did he say about the Coutinho red? For me it was as obvious a yellow card as you're ever going to see. Payet fooled him and Coutinho's sliding tackle ended up taking the player not the ball, always a sending off.
His words were to the effect of:

If anything, it was Payet that went into Coutinho. Not a red.

As daft as it gets. It was a clear 2nd yellow.

drdoityourself

His words were to the effect of:

If anything, it was Payet that went into Coutinho. Not a red.

As daft as it gets. It was a clear 2nd yellow.

It seems given the nature of most Liverpool fans and their large fan base, the media has to tiptoe around them. Listening to the evening news in my country both sending offs were called bizarre, and that is in itself bizarre.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't really know much of his supposed bitterness as a pundit, but at the time when he told the media that he was treated like a "guinea pig", the tabloids did their best to take the quotes out of context and create the illusion of tension between Hargreaves and United. The complete interview (which the tabloids twisted quotes from) from the Guardian had nothing of the sort. He came across as very sad that it didn't work out at United, but quite clearly frustrated at the injury. By his own admission, he seems to take a share of the blame, because his eagerness to overcome the injury and to play occasionally set him back. He did state that the treatment he received from City's medical staff was much better than at United, but I would very much doubt he's saying that out of spite. I remember him still being very complimentary to the staff at United.

The tabloids seemed to have done a good job of giving Hargreaves the reputation of being bitter towards United, because whenever Hargreaves says anything realistic about United now, such as not really having much of a chance of winning the league or the Champions League, it's usually because he's bitter, and not because there are other teams who are much better than us.

Fans probably need to stop being so precious, and accept that not all ex-United players are going to blindly defend the club when they are doing a job which requires them to be impartial.

Varun

Staff
It seems given the nature of most Liverpool fans and their large fan base, the media has to tiptoe around them. Listening to the evening news in my country both sending offs were called bizarre, and that is in itself bizarre.
Naah, let's not get into weird conspiracy theories. He's just a bit stupid at times.

Akshay

Staff
The tabloids seemed to have done a good job of giving Hargreaves the reputation of being bitter towards United, because whenever Hargreaves says anything realistic about United now, such as not really having much of a chance of winning the league or the Champions League, it's usually because he's bitter, and not because there are other teams who are much better than us.

Fans probably need to stop being so precious, and accept that not all ex-United players are going to blindly defend the club when they are doing a job which requires them to be impartial.
He also predicted Liverpool to easily smash United 3-0 at the game at Anfield last season. Generally, whenever I've heard him he's come across as very critical of the club just like the ex-Liverpool pundits. I don't know if that's bitterness or him trying to grab some headlines by being 'controversial'.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He also predicted Liverpool to easily smash United 3-0 at the game at Anfield last season. Generally, whenever I've heard him he's come across as very critical of the club just like the ex-Liverpool pundits. I don't know if that's bitterness or him trying to grab some headlines by being 'controversial'.
A lot had tipped Liverpool to win that game, they were in great form at that point, and were unbeaten in the league since we beat them at Old Trafford. Wasn't it 13 games or something? They were unbeaten at home for even longer. Our away form was terrible for most of last season, and we really hadn't been playing well bar that Spurs game.

Plenty are critical of United and have been for some time. As a neutral, we must be pretty godawful to watch, so I don't see either bitterness or controversy in what he's been saying recently.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have never heard this guy say something positive about the club. I don't normally care about pundits but I have a special dislike for this guy.

JuanMata

God he annoys me so much. I almost turned the channel over when we played Wolfsburg, I can't stand him - he's boring as feck

pascell

Football is a team game and you rely on all 11 of yours players, plus substitutes when they come on. I understand what he's saying but Mata, Schweinsteiger, Smalling are in fantastic form atm, also Shaw before his injury and Darmian has been great in most games. It's also not a bad thing to have reliance on young players such as Memphis and Martial, as it's showing we have a great amount of trust in them to deliver.

It's part of the United way to play youth and it's healthy for the team to have a blend of youth and experience.

Djemba-Djemba

If Robbie Savage is pointing out you're making no sense then you're in big trouble.

Hargreaves is such a cnut.

Sam

He's such a dickhead. I hate him.

Was a shit player too.

Djemba-Djemba

And what does he even mean? Oh its worrying Utd are relying on good young players?

Yeah its dreadful that. We've never done that before.

Tompo

He's very poor, and annoying to listen to.

In saying that he has a long long way to go before he even gets close to the levels of annoyance Niall Quinn can generate in me.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's very poor, and annoying to listen to.

In saying that he has a long long way to go before he even gets close to the levels of annoyance Niall Quinn can generate in me.
Steve Claridge is 100 times worse than Quinn. At least he doesn't commentate on games though

bucky

We are relying on players we have spent £50 million + on? What about Smalling, Darmian, Shaw, Bastian, De Gea etc. It's a shit point.
What have their fees got to do with it? It's fairly obvious that he's talking about us being reliant on them offensively. What's wrong with that? Do you disagree that we need more depth for our attacking options? I'm not even saying it's the best point a pundit has ever made, but it doesn't warrant the reaction he's getting here either. It's just an opinion and he's said things before, which were far more annoying.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
What have their fees got to do with it? It's fairly obvious that he's talking about us being reliant on them offensively. What's wrong with that? Do you disagree that we need more depth for our attacking options? I'm not even saying it's the best point a pundit has ever made, but it doesn't warrant the reaction he's getting here either. It's just an opinion and he's said things before, which were far more annoying.
They are first team players, we should be relying on them to score goals and create. That's what we bought them for. Not to mention he brushed over the fact that Mata is producing as well.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I thought he was utter cack in midfield. Quite good at right back/right mid.
So he was a terrible player who played quite well out of position whilst half injured. Makes sense to me.

Sam

So he was a terrible player who played quite well out of position whilst half injured. Makes sense to me.
Well he was signed as a midfielder, where he was terrible. To the point where he was moved out of midfield.

Being a crock just compounded what an awful signing he was.

devil in me

Class player when fit, awful pundit with an obvious grudge against a club that paid him over 100k a week to be injured for three years.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Great player when fit for us, utter bell end whilst commentating though, he wrote us off against Wolfburg both before and after their opening goal.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Relying on a striker and a winger to create stuff is of course utter nonsense.

Tyrion

When we had Scholes, Giggs, VDS, Vidic and Ferdinand we were accused of being over reliant on old players.
Now we have Martial, Shaw and Memphis and are being criticised for having young players that are really good.

You can't win really. Unless we're winning every game and playing brilliantly with a squad that has two 26-28 year old brilliant players in every position and several world class 18 year olds just waiting around for their shot we'll get criticised by some pundit. Even then I'd imagine we'd be accused of losing our traditional 'British core' or something.

Devil may care

It only took him 85 minutes tonight to realize what Arsenal's gameplan was and why they weren't pressing like he wanted them too. I guess in fairness it was hard for him to see the game with his head jammed halfway up Muller's arse.