Owen vs Shearer

Josh 76

How can any Man Utd fan hate Mark Hughes? Mark Robins is credited with saving Ferguson from the sack early (relatively) in his reign, but that credit surely belongs to Hughes.
A bit hard to explain it to an Arsenal fan. I'm sure there are ex Gooners players that you hate which Utd fans won't get.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He was terrible at Newcastle and didn't help himself at the time or now. Comes across as a little weasel. Will act big billy bollocks behind closed doors and then in the public eye will come out and be all "he hit me sir".

redshaw

I can't dislike Mark Hughes in the slightest, he's a United hero to me.

Is this based of some managerial comments? He's been a manager for some time now and is competing against us. I'm not expecting him to talk glowingly after game and when he's been a guest somewhere you can see he's still a United man. Fans of other clubs he manages won't appreciate him if he goes soft when it's United and if I recall he was a bit soft early on but has hardened into a lower league manager scrapping for anything.

RochaRoja

Nail on head.
Would Shearer really be willing to have his legacy at Newcastle dragged through the mud and even be seen to have been partly responsible for the sacking of one of the most beloved figures in English football just for a few quid?

Seems far more likely that they really do just hate each other. Especially after the 2009 fiasco.

iHicksy

Both unlikeable human beings. Owen perhaps more so. I've had an intense dislike for him for so many reasons. Which i'll now list for your reading pleasure:

• The video of him doing 1v1's against a kid of about 12 (who's in goal) and Owen clearly trying his hardest, mocking the child and celebrating wildly when he scored. Includes his own running commentary on his finishes and he sounds genuinely pleased with himself.
  • Has said in interviews, and i'm maybe paraphrasing but he's only read a few books in his life and doesn't like movies. (like what?)
  • Speaks in interviews as if he's some kind of United insider but attempts to switch allegiance to liverpool when it suits him
  • Only player to united liverpool and united supporters alike in their contempt for him and his attitude
  • Comes across as having the mentality of a 12 year old boy
  • That infamous brochure.

RochaRoja

Both unlikeable human beings. Owen perhaps more so. I've had an intense dislike for him for so many reasons. Which i'll now list for your reading pleasure:

• The video of him doing 1v1's against a kid of about 12 (who's in goal) and Owen clearly trying his hardest, mocking the child and celebrating wildly when he scored. Includes his own running commentary on his finishes and he sounds genuinely pleased with himself.
This doesn’t make me dislike Owen, just reinforce my opinion that he’s kind of a pathetic, laughable guy. He’s always seemed weird and socially stunted (perhaps his spell at Lilleshaw had something to do with it). The stories about how he and his wife never left their apartment in Madrid and he had no idea how to make a cup of tea when he was left alone say a lot about his mentality.

He was pretty much still a kid himself at that time and him acting like such a wanker just seems like total obliviousness rather than him deliberately trying to humiliate the lad to me.

Don’t really think he can be blamed for the brochure either. I doubt he had any input on it other than approving the concept when someone told him it was a good idea.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Shearer getting precious was inevitable with
A Journalist wrote those quotes. If He wrote those by himself, it'd be something like these :

"My mov to new castle was 1 i really regretted,, from careerr perspective,, there was no doubt that move to north east was a down ward step"

"This kind of blind delusin is speciaaly tru of new castle united,, its only big club in sense that it has fans and big stadium,, they believ they club is ten per centage biger and their team is ten per centage better than its for its acually"

GazTheLegend

Would Shearer really be willing to have his legacy at Newcastle dragged through the mud and even be seen to have been partly responsible for the sacking of one of the most beloved figures in English football just for a few quid?
No but Owen is 100% both selfish, stupid and malleable enough to do it.

Agents inform ex players etc to spice up their books -all the time-, sometimes with outright bullshit too. Gough on talksport said it happened to him and had to phone up someone who wrote something about him in a book and ask them why they lied and they said they were asked to spice things up by their agent.

It’s all about money with Owen, Shearer might just be the unwilling participant in his bs

Guarantee there was a spike in book sales though, people fall for that shit. I won’t give Owen a penny, personally.

RochaRoja

Life is way too short to read footballers’ autobiographies. Especially when the only vaguely interesting parts are on Twitter before they’re even released.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This doesn’t make me dislike Owen, just reinforce my opinion that he’s kind of a pathetic, laughable guy. He’s always seemed weird and socially stunted (perhaps his spell at Lilleshaw had something to do with it). The stories about how he and his wife never left their apartment in Madrid and he had no idea how to make a cup of tea when he was left alone say a lot about his mentality.

He was pretty much still a kid himself at that time and him acting like such a wanker just seems like total obliviousness rather than him deliberately trying to humiliate the lad to me.

Don’t really think he can be blamed for the brochure either. I doubt he had any input on it other than approving the concept when someone told him it was a good idea.
He feels like one of those sports stars that coaches recognized had great potential early on and they spend the rest of their childhood focusing on it. That's why they don't have great social skills. I know this is a football thread but if you listen to Dominick Cruz interview on this week's Ariel Helwani show, you'll get a better idea of this when he talks about Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I do love a good serialisation of an autobiography. Its guaranteed to pull out the only interesting bits and saves everyone from reading the other 400 pages

RayParlourIsMyGod

Supports
Arsenal
A bit hard to explain it to an Arsenal fan. I'm sure there are ex Gooners players that you hate which Utd fans won't get.
I don't hate any ex Gooners, some I don't rate, sure... but Hughes certainly doesn't fall into the "I just didn't rate him" category? He, more than any other player, is responsible for the first two trophies of the Ferguson dynasty. I can only assume you aren't old enough to have watched Mark Hughes play for Man Utd? Terrific 100% committed footballer than scored lots of goals, many of them important. Think FA Cup semi final v Oldham, FA cup final v Palace, CWC final v Barcelona....respect the man, feck the hate.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Would you ever bring yourself to buy a book by Michael Owen, about himself no less? No? That's exactly why he's trying to stir up controversy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't hate any ex Gooners, some I don't rate, sure... but Hughes certainly doesn't fall into the "I just didn't rate him" category? He, more than any other player, is responsible for the first two trophies of the Ferguson dynasty. I can only assume you aren't old enough to have watched Mark Hughes play for Man Utd? Terrific 100% committed footballer than scored lots of goals, many of them important. Think FA Cup semi final v Oldham, FA cup final v Palace, CWC final v Barcelona....respect the man, feck the hate.
Hughes since becoming a manager never gives even the slighest hint that he was an ex united player, or enjoyed even a second of his time here.
Plenty of pro Chelsea stuff though.

Throw in managing city and being bitter and it adds up.
Compare why Bruce gets zero similar dislike for example.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
Owen was on BBC news today. I think overall his appearance and explanation somewhat improved his profile...and his book sales.

Josh 76

If you read my original post properly i wrote
1. Owen
2. Ince
3. Hughes (Boy hood hero turned villain as a manager).
So yes I was old enough to watch Hughes in the mid 80s.

So you were not one off the Arsenal fans who were abusing RVP and Sanchez when they played at the Emirates in a Utd shirt?

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Yes gents drag Newcastle through the mud a club that truly deserves it :D.

Dan

Is the book still being serialised in the papers? Not heard much the last couple of days.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
funny thing is though, Owen saying NUFC isn't a big club etc etc, yet he's using them to sell his book, slightly ironic in my eyes

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Owen has always been an arrogant and unlikeable character since his playing days.

big rons sovereign

How can any Man Utd fan hate Mark Hughes? Mark Robins is credited with saving Ferguson from the sack early (relatively) in his reign, but that credit surely belongs to Hughes.
No hate from me, absolutely brilliant player. As for the Robins thing, it was Mark Hughes ridiculous pass that set him up. Great player.

Revaulx

I don’t think I’m alone in saying I was chuffed to bits when we re-signed Hughes in 1988, but it didn’t take long to realise that it probably wasn’t a good idea. Despite the moments of individual brilliance (which as you’ve noted paid big dividends in cup games further down the line) we went backwards as a team, McClair became a lot less effective and the massive improvement Ferguson had brought about since his arrival stuttered to a halt. I’m not sure what the Great Man thinks about it in retrospect, but he has admitted that he shouldn’t have sold Davenport.

Revaulx

Indeed. If he was diagnosed with Asperger’s maybe people wouldn’t be able to hate him so much.

Ban

Owen is trying to be controversial with his book but always was and still is a boring twat.

Chairman Steve

I despise Shearer so I’m automatically #TeamOwen on this one. I’ve always felt that Shearer wasn’t completely sincere with his choice of joining Newcastle (John Halls money might have been a redeeming quality) and doesn’t surprise me if he wanted to jump ship if Sir Bobby Robson dumped him.