Oxfam sexual misconduct scandal involving aid workers in Haiti

Silva

Internal to Oxfam. Who was asking from outside?
this is a cop out

how many people get asked "yo, is your organisation rapey?"

helen also went to the charity commission and home office

burn them down too if we have to, start over

this is only an issue because she blew the whistle to the media

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
no you don't, if you know of a crime you are responsible for reporting it, there's a reason why the police doesn't knock on your door every day asking "you seen anything dodgy" what the actual feck are you taking about this is insane
They have heard alegations of crimes

Burning the whole charity to the ground is insane

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
zero, their funds and works would be taken over by another charity
As these charities ramp up their capacity, and hire many of the staff you've just fired from Oxfam, what happens to the peoples who are being helped at the moment?

Nuts

they all got golden handshakes

the current oxfam employee who was chosen as a sacrifice resigned

it's not enough

there needs to be consequences for organisations as a whole
What kind of consequences do you suggest?

Silva

Its actual aid workers who were engaging in prostitution
it was an executive who ran the ring, and the executives who covered it up

you can't stop individuals from engaging in abusive behaviour, but you can stop organisations who don't care

there was also more than prostitution, that's just a salacious detail people have latched on to

Nuts

total defunding, a ban on executives working in the sector, jail sentences for people who engaged in sexual abuse, sex tourism and those who covered up for them
Total defunding? That's an unjustifiable overreaction. They have the same right as any other organisation to restructure and carry on in better shape than before.

Silva

Total defunding? That's an unjustifiable overreaction. They have the same right as any other organisation to restructure and carry on in better shape than before.
there is a serious problem in the charity sector with sex tourism and sexual abuse, with pedophiles seeking positions of power in children's charities, the only way to seed them out is an existential threat to charities who do not take it seriously enough, and personal and career consequences for their executives

reforming one charity or another when a whistleblower comes forward is not enough

Nuts

there is a serious problem in the charity sector with sex tourism and sexual abuse, with pedophiles seeking positions of power in children's charities, the only way to seed them out is an existential threat to charities who do not take it seriously enough, and personal and career consequences for their executives

reforming one charity or another when a whistleblower comes forward is not enough
Human beings are acting like cnuts in every profession - look at parliament, the highest offices in the land. You have to balance it with the good Oxfam have done and help them recover - I seriously doubt they'd leave themselves open to similar accusations in the future so I imagine they will be doing their utmost to restructure and prevent.

Silva

Human beings are acting like cnuts in every profession - look at parliament, the highest offices in the land. You have to balance it with the good Oxfam have done and help them recover - I seriously doubt they'd leave themselves open to similar accusations in the future so I imagine they will be doing their utmost to restructure and prevent.
that's not enough, it gives the entire sector a green light to continue as is until their own whistleblowers come forward, an example needs to be made of them to let the sector know this is not okay

Nuts

that's not enough, it gives the entire sector a green light to continue as is until their own whistleblowers come forward, an example needs to be made of them to let the sector know this is not okay
Not sure where you're getting the green light from or the idea it's letting the sector know it's OK if we don't shut down Oxfam... Bizarre.

Silva

Not sure where you're getting the green light from or the idea it's letting the sector know it's OK if we don't shut down Oxfam... Bizarre.
there have been zero consequences for the executive branch of the charity, it lets everyone else know they can get away with covering up abusive behaviour

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Defunding may sound - and may be - extreme, but I can see where Silva's coming from insofar as any consequences will probably be quite light, with the indicator being the main problem wasn't what was actually done, but the fact they got caught. Which is a major problem.

Silva

Defunding may sound - and may be - extreme, but I can see where Silva's coming from insofar as any consequences will probably be quite light, with the indicator being the main problem wasn't what was actually done, but the fact they got caught. Which is a major problem.
defunding does not mean a lowering of aid budgets either, but a redirection to others

it's only extreme from the oxfam POV, but they made their bed

Denis79

Agree with this, anything, everything they can in a criminal sense prosecute they should, Any civil actions they can take by the countrys own laws they should. They should make this in to a witch hunt.

InfiniteBoredom

It would be the hight of stupidity to shut down Oxfam
It’s not.

None of the well-known NGOs are ranked as among the best charities. Red Cross, Oxfam, MsB etc... shutting them down and allocate the funds to the actual charities that do a whole lot of good with a fraction of the budget and none of the abuse isn’t ‘the hight of stupidity’.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
It’s not.

None of the well-known NGOs are ranked as among the best charities. Red Cross, Oxfam, MsB etc... shutting them down and allocate the funds to the actual charities that do a whole lot of good with a fraction of the budget and none of the abuse isn’t ‘the hight of stupidity’.
Ranked by whom?

Denis79

It's a sex tourists' charter!
Can not understand the line of thought behind this... They can demand anything they want in a moral sense of their workers. If it isn't to your liking don't join. I coach my sons football team, before I agreed to coach them they made me sign a paper on how I should behave, what language I should use, that I wasn't allowed to consume any alcohol while on trips etc. Nothing strange or wrong with it.

Edit: And I'm from fecking Serbia where almost nothing works as it should.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Can not understand the line of thought behind this... They can demand anything they want in a moral sense of their workers. If it isn't to your liking don't join. I coach my sons football team, before I agreed to coach them they made me sign a paper on how I should behave, what language I should use, that I wasn't allowed to consume any alcohol while on trips etc. Nothing strange or wrong with it.

Edit: And I'm from fecking Serbia where almost nothing works as it should.
You'd think they would be able to include morality clauses in their contracts, but they are still subject to employment law.

I said before though, as ambassadors of the charity, they should be sackable under a broadbrush bringing the charity into disrepute clause if they engage in illegal activity.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
CHARITY ROW Oxfam training guide tells staff it’s ‘ok for them to use prostitutes’ as ban would ‘infringe on civil liberties’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5582376/oxfam-training-manual-prostitution/
That's a weird one. Loads of employers have a complete ban on recreational drug use. Testing and all.

EDIT: Always worth reading the whole article, mind you.
Oxfam said its training manual had been updated and staff are now banned from paying for sex.