Ozil

Skills

Snitch
I respect his stance and he is fully entitled to it when most players will just be being led like sheep with some likely having little clue or in some cases even care about the purpose for which their money is intended.

I'm not sure i'd handle it in the same way as him though.
It's one of those things that show why footballers have agents and advisors. The agents really earn their money when the leaches at the club are trying to con the players.

Skills

Snitch
For the same reason Kroenke has to pay. It's a bad situation and everyone should make a contribution, not like Ozil would go hungry the poor sod.
And it's not as if Kroenke would still not be worth billions.

Fosu-Mens

One of the media’s favourite whipping boys back in the eye of the storm again.

Personally, I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, but media and ex-pros are not entitled to come out and publicly condemn or attack the player in the way they have over a decision that he is well entitled to make. You could feel you would have done things differently if you wish, but there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to your own money, everyone will base it on their own convictions.

The usual suspect serial condemners Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher OG course leading the assault today. They can feck off. Perhaps offer him an interview and ask for his views in a bit of detail. He’s not stealing anyone’s money, it’s his own salary, and as a result they should have some more fecking respect about it.
Regardless, he should have taken it, if only for appearance sake. He will get rollercoasted in the media for the next 2-3 weeks.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
For the same reason Kroenke has to pay. It's a bad situation and everyone should make a contribution, not like Ozil would go hungry the poor sod.
Ozil is an employee, presumably willing to work but unable to through no fault of his own. It would be nice if he voluntarily chose to do some good with his wealth, which I believe he does regularly anyway, but he isn't obliged to do anything different than Joe the waiter who is at home in the same circumstances.

It's one of those things that show why footballers have agents and advisors. The agents really earn their money when the leaches at the club are trying to con the players.
Con might be strong but yeah I agree there is nothing wrong with an individual wanting to decide for himself what to do with his own earnings.

Kostov

Ozil is an employee, presumably willing to work but unable to through no fault of his own. It would be nice if he voluntarily chose to do some good with his wealth, which I believe he does regularly anyway, but he isn't obliged to do anything different than Joe the waiter who is at home in the same circumstances.

Con might be strong but yeah I agree there is nothing wrong with an individual wanting to decide for himself what to do with his own earnings.
And Kroenke is willing to operate his business as usual but he is unable, through no fault of his own as well. I am sure Kroenke does his fair share of charity as well, Ozil is no better. And no, Joe the waiter does not belong to this group, Ozil is a millionaire and in the same boat as Kroenke, not the regular type of citizen who has to meet ends every month. Ultimately Ozil can do and choose what he wants with the money he is entitled due to the contract but that separates different type of people, and the media will call him out for that.

10s of millions I would guess. When Kroenke's wealth is down in the same order of magnitude, I guess he can ask the players to contribute.
He can and he has asked them to contribute, most of them agreed, the one with the highest wage does not. It tells you the whole picture, Ozil is no better than Kroenke and is rightfully being called out by the media.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
And Kroenke is willing to operate his business as usual but he is unable, through no fault of his own as well. I am sure Kroenke does his fair share of charity as well, Ozil is no better. And no, Joe the waiter does not belong to this group, Ozil is a millionaire and in the same boat as Kroenke, not the regular type of citizen who has to meet ends every month. Ultimately Ozil can do and choose what he wants with the money he is entitled due to the contract but that separates different type of people, and the media will call him out for that.
Kroenke is a business owner who like every other business owner whose industry is impacted is going to have to eat the cost on the pandemic and has several options available to him to alleviate some running costs be it laying people off (not popular but a legitimate move) or furloughing staff if he chooses to do so. What he is not entitled to is for employees with a binding contract to hand him back some money they are contractually entitled to.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The biggest shame here is how a class player like Ozil wasted his career at such a shit club.

Ozil is probably one of the biggest charitable players in the league. He can give his own money to charities himself why would he need Arsenal to do it for him? Is there any proof all these pay cuts are even going to charity? Clearly there isn’t as they haven’t been able to provide it. I’d rather Ozil contribute to his own charitable endeavours than prop up Arsenal’s finances.

cyberman

There was a report that a top club was losing 9m per week in lockdown and had to take a 100m loan out to cover it, so they asked players to take a paycut.
Its clearly Arsenal and if theyre in that much difficulty the players need to help out imo

Skills

Snitch
There was a report that a top club was losing 9m per week in lockdown and had to take a 100m loan out to cover it, so they asked players to take a paycut.
Its clearly Arsenal and if theyre in that much difficulty the players need to help out imo
That is more understandable. But even then, there are other options. They can defer payments or Kroenke can sell an equivalent stake in the club back to the playing staff, with an option to buy it back.

What doesn't make sense to me is that the players will take a paycut, and then once football does get up and running the players will get none of it back but Kroenke's £1.8bn investment is protected.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I find that figure hard to believe.
Whoever leaked Ozil's name is a cnut.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
That is more understandable. But even then, there are other options. They can defer payments or Kroenke can sell an equivalent stake in the club back to the playing staff, with an option to buy it back.

What doesn't make sense to me is that the players will take a paycut, and then once football does get up and running the players will get none of it back but Kroenke's £1.8bn investment is protected.
Or players take a paycut to help out a club and then when football is back said club goes and spends millions buying new players to replace some of them.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
You'd find it hard to find a player that gives more to charity than him and again, he has not said "feck you it's my monies" he wants to know the how and why. We're not talking 50£, it could go into the hundreds of thousands. I'd want to know where this kind of amount goes, regardless of how much i make.
Also, i would not be surprised that the other players who "refused" are either Xhaka/Mustafi/Kolasinac who are close to him and on the way out or even Aubameyang who also earns quite a lot.

Last edited:

Giggsyking

Ozil is one of the highest contributors to charity of all the football players, you can not just vilify him for not giving cuts of his salary to the billionaire owner.

Kostov

Kroenke is a business owner who like every other business owner whose industry is impacted is going to have to eat the cost on the pandemic and has several options available to him to alleviate some running costs be it laying people off (not popular but a legitimate move) or furloughing staff if he chooses to do so. What he is not entitled to is for employees with a binding contract to hand him back some money they are contractually entitled to.
Kroenke is a business owner and if he wishes he can run the club into the ground, fire employees and then maybe it would be a whole better would it? After all it's a free economy and he can do whatever he likes. Instead he asked the ones with the most leeway to contribute just like he will during this crisis. Much better than furloughing imo, in the end Ozil can do what he wishes, but some of you crying out loud because he was exposed as the greedy bastard he is, are laughable. You reap what you sow, he is no better than Kroenke imo.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Regardless, he should have taken it, if only for appearance sake. He will get rollercoasted in the media for the next 2-3 weeks.
Why though?

As much as I think he has underperformed since he signed that contract, why should he take a paycut?

He doesn't deserve an improved contract - he hasn't performed. But the current contract has already been signed and in effect.

If you don't like it, don't buy a season ticket and/or don't pay for Sky Sports.

To be fair, I'd rather the money go to Özil and the tax man (and therefore in part to NHS) rather than Kroenke's pocket.

Stacks

One of the media’s favourite whipping boys back in the eye of the storm again.

Personally, I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, but media and ex-pros are not entitled to come out and publicly condemn or attack the player in the way they have over a decision that he is well entitled to make. You could feel you would have done things differently if you wish, but there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to your own money, everyone will base it on their own convictions.

The usual suspect serial condemners Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher OG course leading the assault today. They can feck off. Perhaps offer him an interview and ask for his views in a bit of detail. He’s not stealing anyone’s money, it’s his own salary, and as a result they should have some more fecking respect about it.
agreed. To attack Ozil of all people who is philanthropic.

Sylar

I find that figure hard to believe.
Whoever leaked Ozil's name is a cnut.
This is a bigger thing as well. For his name to have been leaked, it has to be one of the players or an owner leaking it to somebody to leak to the press. Thats snake like behaviour to put pressure on him to do something he really doesnt need to or shouldnt need to.

I dont understand the need for players to take pay cuts. The players using their money after they are paid to then donate would be more sensible for this country (as the higher tax goes towards stuff like NHS). Taking a paycut would reduce that taxed amount.
And the one that really benefits are those who get paid through dividends.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I pay little attention to all of this stuff anyway. I suspect that the majority of these things are done for optics, and Ozil is a sensible person asking the very simple and reasonable question of ‘why am I required to take a pay cut?’. From what I gather, there is no sensible answer for that beyond ‘appearances’. If the board suggested that the club were about to go bust if the players didn’t agree, then fair enough. If the club suggested that the reduced wages will be used for community outreach, fair enough. To just reduce my salary because it will be good PR - nah, they can feck off. I’d rather maintain my salary so that I can continue using it to support the good causes that I have been doing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Fully support him.

Footballers should do more, but it needs to be in a wholly transparent vehicle if demanded of them.

I wouldn’t accept a pay cut without a ‘Why’ behind it, if I had the power to demand it.

Fosu-Mens

Why though?

As much as I think he has underperformed since he signed that contract, why should he take a paycut?

He doesn't deserve an improved contract - he hasn't performed. But the current contract has already been signed and in effect.

If you don't like it, don't buy a season ticket and/or don't pay for Sky Sports.

To be fair, I'd rather the money go to Özil and the tax man (and therefore in part to NHS) rather than Kroenke's pocket.
While I agree with the Kroenke sentiment, I was regarding this from a public relations point of view. It just looks bad to the public, irrespective of whether it is right or wrong. Talking a short term 12,5 % pay cut (or whatever the deal is) to not get scapegoated in the media during a crisis is a good decision long term... So easy to make him look like the bad guy, which he is currently portrayed to be. Why put a target on your neck? Especially during these trying times?

Blackwidow

Ozil is one of the highest contributors to charity of all the football players, you can not just vilify him for not giving cuts of his salary to the billionaire owner.
How do you know? Because he is one that publishes when he does?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
While I agree with the Kroenke sentiment, I was regarding this from a public relations point of view. It just looks bad to the public, irrespective of whether it is right or wrong. Talking a short term 12,5 % pay cut (or whatever the deal is) to not get scapegoated in the media during a crisis is a good decision long term... So easy to make him look like the bad guy, which he is currently portrayed to be. Why put a target on your neck? Especially during these trying times?
I don't think he gives a feck about that honestly. If he thinks he's doing the right thing, and for the little we know it looks that way, then good for him. It doesn't diminish the move from the rest of the squad.
How do you know? Because he is one that publishes when he does?
So if he's only in the top 50 charitable player, he can be abused ? What's the treshold ?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This deal from Kronke just looks shady, so they will give up 12.5% of their salary but that also depends on what position they get at the end of the season? Why in the world are Arsenal adding an extra condition of results when apparently the reason behind this cut is the ability to pay workers and charity?

Ozil himself said he would accept a higher wage deferral if they agree to pay back when the season is complete, that's pretty simple. Accept a wage deferral and then the amount will be paid back if the season is complete (and therefore Arsenal will receive income through broadcast revenue), what is this nonsense extra loophole of also needing to get results to get your money back?

fps

Ridiculous that ire is being aimed at footballers for not taking paycuts. But it shows the general ignorance of any other industries or sectors that exist in the country, as well as people's confusion over the simple concept that a paycut is only going to benefit the clubs' owners.

Pep's Suit

Not sure why players are allowed to make it obvious football's only a job for them but in any moment fans would scream something about 'our billionaire owner'. Logically... Football is bussiness, an investment for these guys and if they're worth £5b then taking £30m from the club each season doesn't seem so ridiculous. In the end any time there's increase in tv money and so it always ends up in players / agents' pockets aka people who are ridiculously overpaid while they have zero responsibility.

Luke1995

Is love for the shirt a good reason to take a pay cut ? Maybe Giggs or Scholes would have done it here, who knows.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This deal from Kronke just looks shady, so they will give up 12.5% of their salary but that also depends on what position they get at the end of the season? Why in the world are Arsenal adding an extra condition of results when apparently the reason behind this cut is the ability to pay workers and charity?

Ozil himself said he would accept a higher wage deferral if they agree to pay back when the season is complete, that's pretty simple. Accept a wage deferral and then the amount will be paid back if the season is complete (and therefore Arsenal will receive income through broadcast revenue), what is this nonsense extra loophole of also needing to get results to get your money back?
Because obviously ucl qualification means higher revenues

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Because obviously ucl qualification means higher revenues
Yes but then what does that have to do with the coronavirus? This condition just adds the notion that they also want to punish the players for not qualifying for the UCL, rather than only doing this for their non playing staff.

Cassidy

Yes but then what does that have to do with the coronavirus? This condition just adds the notion that they also want to punish the players for not qualifying for the UCL, rather than only doing this for their non playing staff.
No it means they will have more revenue so need to make less cuts. Its basic finance

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Waiting for a United first team squad at one club to cut this shit off at the knees.

Agree to take a permanent 2.5% pay cut and designate that the money goes to everyone in the club earning less than £50k. Quote the value. Tell the club that’s your lot.

- The number will be big and headline worthy
- Future contracts will absorb the ‘cut’ anyway
- The executives at the club wholly wears future criticism.

I’ve used arbitrary numbers to illustrate. I’m sure there’s a very light touch percentage that sees a high level of impact and still tells Mail readers to shut the Fcuk up.

MattofManchester

Tbh, I can understand footballers wanting to decide what they want to do with their own money. It should have been made a voluntary decision, not an involuntary one for many.

The thing is, I can't see a reason why I would say no myself, if put in such a situation. If you earn thousands per week, some millions, there's no doubt you'd have a bit to spare.

For me, it wouldn't be about what the owner or someone else is doing. I, myself, would want to contribute in these troubling times.

Many people have lost their employment, or no longer receive a salary, and now suddenly see their lifestyle falling apart for something outside of their control. Laws and restrictions tend not to protect many employees in situations, so people are falling foul to various scenarios all over the world.

From THAT point of view, I would want to do everything in my power to be a positive force, and if donating my salary to those who need it helps, then so be it.

To make a long story short, I think the process should be voluntary, but I also don't see why any one of these footballers should be saying no, without regard for the future and what happens next.

Reactions: Sultan

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No it means they will have more revenue so need to make less cuts. Its basic finance
Why didn't they do that for their regular contracts then? Why aren't other doing it if it's called 'basic finance'?

Also, why should Ozil accept it then because that 'basic finance' deal has nothing to do with the coronavirus.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Did the news article mention this? Because they sure as hell should have to balance the decision. Ozil is anything but a greedy player.

Yes:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10505043/secret-life-ozil-arsenal/

On his wedding day to former Miss Turkey, Amine Gulse, Ozil promised to finance 1,000 operations for needy kids across the globe.

“Then, during last year’s World Cup, he told me ‘I want to do this bigger. Let’s change the lives of 1,000 kids, let’s do 1,000 operations’.

“I said ‘This will cost you millions’. But he replied ‘If I don’t share my money now, when will I? And with whom?’

Ozil earned public recognition from Germany in 2015 for his work with charity:

https://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/5407/extra-time/2015/06/03/12369642/ozil-honoured-for-charity-work

Mesut Ozil has been named as a German Football Ambassador for his charity work in football.

The Public Prize is decided by a vote from fans and awarded by the German Foreign Ministry, who also recognised United States boss Jurgen Klinsmann and former Aston Villa midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger.

On top of that, his box at Emirates always resrerves I think its 15 seats for charity.

And to top it off:

Ozil had previously donated his 2014 World Cup winnings — about £240,000 — to fund surgery for 23 sick Brazilian children in conjunction with the BigShoe charity.

Say what you will about Ozil, but the man is a saint.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Why didn't they do that for their regular contracts then? Why aren't other doing it if it's called 'basic finance'?

Also, why should Ozil accept it then because that 'basic finance' deal has nothing to do with the coronavirus.
You’re not undertanding. They are taking a revenue hit with corona. That revenue hit is going to be a lot less if they get UCL

Regular contracts would involve players getting bonuses for UCL and also most players would renegotiate contracts if their teams became ucl regulars when they were not before

However in this unique scenario they are asking players to take a pay cut due to huge unforeseen revenue hit. Which will be less with UCL its not rocket science.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Ozil the player is so talented but I think his attitude has got worse and worse ever since Wenger was so lenient on him.

He was fantastic, but his attitude and poor application has led to him being a forgotten man.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
When was it when loads on here were saying we should sign him?