Ozil

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did the news article mention this? Because they sure as hell should have to balance the decision. Ozil is anything but a greedy player.

Yes:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10505043/secret-life-ozil-arsenal/

On his wedding day to former Miss Turkey, Amine Gulse, Ozil promised to finance 1,000 operations for needy kids across the globe.

“Then, during last year’s World Cup, he told me ‘I want to do this bigger. Let’s change the lives of 1,000 kids, let’s do 1,000 operations’.

“I said ‘This will cost you millions’. But he replied ‘If I don’t share my money now, when will I? And with whom?’

Ozil earned public recognition from Germany in 2015 for his work with charity:

https://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/5407/extra-time/2015/06/03/12369642/ozil-honoured-for-charity-work

Mesut Ozil has been named as a German Football Ambassador for his charity work in football.

The Public Prize is decided by a vote from fans and awarded by the German Foreign Ministry, who also recognised United States boss Jurgen Klinsmann and former Aston Villa midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger.

On top of that, his box at Emirates always resrerves I think its 15 seats for charity.

And to top it off:

Ozil had previously donated his 2014 World Cup winnings — about £240,000 — to fund surgery for 23 sick Brazilian children in conjunction with the BigShoe charity.

Say what you will about Ozil, but the man is a saint.
Thanks for sharing - always good to put a player's personality into context.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would love someone on here to knock up some stats on the amount of away games Ozil has missed for Arsenal up North since he joined. Think I read somewhere he's never played at Burnley for instance and they've been up in the league since 2016.

Missing again tonight.

Feels a bit like Bale to me. Club are desperate to get rid (despite being happy to give bumper new contract just two years back) but player isn't budging just yet.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He seemed to be back in favour with Arteta and was doing much better under him. Would be interesting to know what happened behind the scenes to cause this.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Would love someone on here to knock up some stats on the amount of away games Ozil has missed for Arsenal up North since he joined. Think I read somewhere he's never played at Burnley for instance and they've been up in the league since 2016.

Missing again tonight.

Feels a bit like Bale to me. Club are desperate to get rid (despite being happy to give bumper new contract just two years back) but player isn't budging just yet.
He’s played against them 5 times, 3 time’s away.

It’s stupid “stats” like that, that make me happy for him to suck as much money out of Arsenal he can. He’s been treated like absolute garbage and had media campaigns against him constantly to blame everything on him. He’d regularly cover one of the most distances but without fail at the end of every match it was Ozil is lazy and it’s all his fault yet again.

Biggest shame is that a world class player who was an absolute joy to watch has wasted his career at such a shit club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s played against them 5 times, 3 time’s away.

It’s stupid “stats” like that, that make me happy for him to suck as much money out of Arsenal he can. He’s been treated like absolute garbage and had media campaigns against him constantly to blame everything on him. He’d regularly cover one of the most distances but without fail at the end of every match it was Ozil is lazy and it’s all his fault yet again.

Biggest shame is that a world class player who was an absolute joy to watch has wasted his career at such a shit club.
It’s kind of similar to the Paul Pogba stuff, really. Preformed opinions and cliches stick stronger than facts do.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Missing again tonight.

Wasn't it Di Canio who was most famous for not travelling North very often?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Looks like it's changed in the last year then, fair enough if I'm behind. It was certainly an issue not so long ago:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...-four-prem-100-mile-radius-arsenal-17-months/
It’s not so much the travel thing, I think that may be a stretch, but you are right, he misses way too many games, and managers have always been vague when explaining why.

Up to February last year, he had missed 100 of 313 possible games since moving from Madrid. There are definitely reasons to criticize and question his commitment.

I think he is a fantastic player on song, and the press love to jump on stories like this, but there is an argument to be had.

When he does play in the PL though, he still offers up a goal or assist almost every other game (184 games, 33 goals, 54 assists) and his criticism in big games could genuinely be seen as Arsenal just not being good in big games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I was excited to watch him in prem given he was very good at Real Madrid on the whole but I think he's been a disappointment particularly in the big games.

I know Arsenal have declined as club in last decade but to me someone like Sanchez gave them far more moments to remember in his time there with his goals in big games and all action displays.

Ozil won't be remembered like Bergkamp or even Pires or Ljungberg when he's no longer there. Think Arsenal fans expected he'd be capable of lifting them up a level when he joined.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He seemed to be back in favour with Arteta and was doing much better under him. Would be interesting to know what happened behind the scenes to cause this.
Maybe he watched a few replays.

freeurmind

weak willed
Aye because he would have really changed the game, especially with 10 men. Spineless Ozil, not the player you need when things get tough.
He's the most talented creative player in that team by some distance. Makes no sense to leave him out completely even if he's in poor form.

izec

He's the most talented creative player in that team by some distance. Makes no sense to leave him out completely even if he's in poor form.
Özil is done at the top level. Complete passenger and his output isn't all that anymore. Best to go to Turkey now.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The idea that Arsenal may have to pawn off Aubameyang because they can't afford both him and Ozil on such large contracts is equal parts heartbreak and hilarity.

Ozil isn't going to leave and will probably never play a big game for them agains. Despite picking up £300k(?) a week.

I genuinely think Arsenal are done being considered a top 4 prospect for the foreseeable future now.

cyberman

Yep, could have played as the link to their forward players with his slide rule passes but they were isolated instead.
United beat them 3 times by scaring them with our pace up top, it wrecked their inverted fullback nonsense but they just had free reign to do as they pleased last night.
0 shots on target and fans think Ozil would have been worse?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It feels like ages ago that Ozil was the actual assist king in the league.
It feels like he's just faded into Arsenal-ness this last few years, yet somehow still bagged the highest deal in their history by a mile.

Luke1995

If they bring in William on a three year deal like it's being reported, will they try to sell Ozil ?

If Ozil stays, what will happen to his career ?

kidbob

Weird career. Talent wise he is in the upper tier and his numbers from the 10 position are usually top notch but he never quite dominated like he should have. Always seemed to lack the stamina or bite to really apply his ability in the big games. Kind of reminds me of Fabregas, exceptional player with incredible ability but never really hit the level they should have despite having good careers. The anti Iniesta if you will, lots of output but never cementing themselves as that top tier player.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They won't get a penny for Ozil, they'll have to pay him off to take a free transfer.
Can they do with Ozil what we did with Sanchez? We had a plan, loaned him to a club that operates like it's in Football Manager game. Arsenal just left Ozil on the bench eating up wages. Maybe Robbie can recruit him for AFTV?

Luke1995

Weird career. Talent wise he is in the upper tier and his numbers from the 10 position are usually top notch but he never quite dominated like he should have. Always seemed to lack the stamina or bite to really apply his ability in the big games. Kind of reminds me of Fabregas, exceptional player with incredible ability but never really hit the level they should have despite having good careers. The anti Iniesta if you will, lots of output but never cementing themselves as that top tier player.
It's weird that he never managed to play in a CL final

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s sad. He was genuinely one of my favourite players at his peak. He saw things that no one else on the pitch was seeing.

It’s a terrible way to end your career. People seem to have forgotten just how good he was.

Pep's Suit

Ozil, Bale, James... Fair play to Alexis for actually wanting to still play football.

Pablo18th

Fabregas was a much better(and adaptable) player though world class as an 8 and a 10 and very good at false 9 but I agree with your main point.

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
It's definitely a strange one, I don't think anyone truly knows what's going on there. He's been lumped in with Guendouzi a lot over the past few months, but don't think that's fair. Guendouzi seems to have bad blood with everyone at Arsenal at the moment, whilst Ozil appears to still have some good relationships with other players. It's notable how their absences are talked about, Guendouzi is not 'on the boat' whilst Ozil has a 'bad back'.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
This clearly ends with Ozil as Gunnersaurus. Get in the suit, Mesut.

Zoo

Quite sad this especially when considering how dull their football is under Arteta.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Sad end to his Arsenal career, hopefully he can leave in January with his contract paid and move on.