Ozil

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Quite sad this especially when considering how dull their football is under Arteta.
Didn't they extend his contract a couple of seasons ago?

It seems silly they didn't cash in on him when they had the chance. He's sitting on big wages, doing nothing which must have prevented Arsenal from doing more business in the transfer market.

Mercurial

He went against Arsenal and condemned China then doubled down. Seem he is ruffling feathers at his club.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

It seems silly they didn't cash in on him when they had the chance. He's sitting on big wages, doing nothing which must have prevented Arsenal from doing more business in the transfer market.
We never had the chance to cash in on him. While he was playing well he was worth much more than anyone would've offered for him, and when he's declined his wages are too high for anyone else to take him on.

tenpoless

He's like Ryan from the office. You think he's a nice person and he used to look like one but then he managed to get himself into all sort of controversies which changed your view on him forever.

stepic

He's like Ryan from the office. You think he's a nice person and he used to look like one but then he managed to get himself into all sort of controversies which changed your view on him forever.
condemning China's treatment of the Uighurs is something more people should be doing frankly. you seem to be suggesting being critical of it isn't something a nice person would do, which is weird.

tenpoless

condemning China's treatment of the Uighurs is something more people should be doing frankly. you seem to be suggesting being critical of it isn't something a nice person would do, which is weird.
It has nothing to do with that, it's a comparison between two characters. They even look alike.

KwokSF

whats the story there with Ozil?
Why is he frozen out?
Ignore the China bashing, it's rubbish. Chinese government dun give a flying crap about a PL footballer. Even if they did they wouldn't have the power to tell arteta to not play him.

Ozil has had issues before anyway, from real Madrid to Germany NT and now to his current huge wages and inconsistency, arsenal probably thinking they are better off not playing him and save having to pay that huge bonus if they did.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Arteta says he has 'failed with Ozil'.

"My conscience is very calm because I have been really fair," said Arteta.

"What I can say from my side is that it is just a football decision. My level of communication with him has been really high and we know what to expect with each other.

"Obviously a player of that dimension, with the career he has had, everything that happens around him has a big impact. It has been the case for the last eight years, it is nothing new that is just happening now. A lot of things have happened over these eight years.

"My job is to get the best out of every player, to contribute to the team performance.

"Here I feel at the moment, today, that I have failed. I want the best possible Mesut for the team. And in some moments I was able to get close to that, and at the moment I have not been able to do it because I have to make the decision to leave him out of the squad."

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Ignore the China bashing, it's rubbish. Chinese government dun give a flying crap about a PL footballer. Even if they did they wouldn't have the power to tell arteta to not play him.

Ozil has had issues before anyway, from real Madrid to Germany NT and now to his current huge wages and inconsistency, arsenal probably thinking they are better off not playing him and save having to pay that huge bonus if they did.
The Chinese absolutely give a flying feck about a Turkish Muslim superstar with:

22.3 million instagram followers
25 million twitter followers

That's not including Facebook or other outlets. This is a man who uses his social media platforms to Criticise the CCP and send out other political messages. Whilst I'm not saying it's bad, the effects trickle down quite substantially to parent club Arsenal. China is too huge of a market to upset.

Not sure if Ozil's termination is down to this, but I' reckon its many factors combined into one. The lack of transparency at the club is annoying to say the least.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
whats the story there with Ozil?
Why is he frozen out?
It's more likely because he refused to take a pay cut during the lockdown, when every other player on Arsenal did.

It's less to do with what he said about China, but more likely about how he pissed off the entire Arsenal squad by refusing to go along with the pay cut when he's the best paid player on the team.

Arteta is right to be pissed with him.

ShoePolish

I remember when he signed for them. Felt too big of a name to go to Arsenal, and seemed as a luxury rather than neccessity, as they had abundance of silky, soft forwards.

But don't know why he's playing the victim card here, he's gone against the club numerous times, and refused to leave them so he can collect his paycheck

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Quite sad this especially when considering how dull their football is under Arteta.
Probably go on loan in January then im guessing.
Cheeky bid?!

He'll get snapped up by a CL club who has sustained a long term injury to a forward player. Plenty of clubs will need his skill set in 2nd half of season.

Glad he is bleeding Arsenal; their treatment of him has been disgraceful.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Cheeky bid?!

He'll get snapped up by a CL club who has sustained a long term injury to a forward player. Plenty of clubs will need his skill set in 2nd half of season.

Glad he is bleeding Arsenal; their treatment of him has been disgraceful.

Yeah they've not dealt with it well at all. Most arsenal fans still like him so its obviously the club issue.

I honestly wouldn't be against it if he took a big pay cut his wages are far too high, isnt he on 250k a week?

The last thing we need is a luxury player on high wages he's got plenty to contribute to a team though wherever it may be.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah they've not dealt with it well at all. Most arsenal fans still like him so its obviously the club issue.

I honestly wouldn't be against it if he took a big pay cut his wages are far too high, isnt he on 250k a week?

The last thing we need is a luxury player on high wages he's got plenty to contribute to a team though wherever it may be.
Yeah, If we had long term injury to Bruno and Van Beek, Ozil would be a good short term punt as a six month loan.

Am sure a top club will be in such a predicament by January.

Luke1995

His prime was actually in Madrid. At Arsenal, although he had good seasons, I don't think he reached his 2011-2012 or 2012-2013 footballing level.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's absolutely mad though that they paid him so much 2 years back and now don't think that he is good enough to even make the squad

trims

Supports
Arsenal

His contract was around the time that Sanchez was leaving for Utd. So I think the board jumped the gun thinking how bad it would be for our image to lose our 2 biggest players and they ended up offering him inflated wages. It looks a bad decision but you could argue that it might have cost the club more had he left around the same time as Sanchez.

The Chinese absolutely give a flying feck about a Turkish Muslim superstar with:

22.3 million instagram followers
25 million twitter followers

That's not including Facebook or other outlets. This is a man who uses his social media platforms to Criticise the CCP and send out other political messages. Whilst I'm not saying it's bad, the effects trickle down quite substantially to parent club Arsenal. China is too huge of a market to upset.

Not sure if Ozil's termination is down to this, but I' reckon its many factors combined into one. The lack of transparency at the club is annoying to say the least.
I think it down to him not taking a wage cut like the rest of players. That combined with his antics, offering to pay Gunnersaurus's salary which is a PR stunt pretty much nailed him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is the whole Ozil thing down to his work rate not fitting in with the rest of the squad?

I've not really kept up with all of this.

Sylar

It's more likely because he refused to take a pay cut during the lockdown, when every other player on Arsenal did.

It's less to do with what he said about China, but more likely about how he pissed off the entire Arsenal squad by refusing to go along with the pay cut when he's the best paid player on the team.

Arteta is right to be pissed with him.
Where did the pay cut go by the way given the number of Staff arsenal sacked?

Given it was said he refused until he knew where the money was going, I thought that was sensible by him. I mean by not taking a pay cut his taxes were higher anyway. By taking a pay cut his tax was decrease, and if anything wouldn't the owner benefit more?

If anything the other players are silly for not asking the same questions

90 + 5min

Arteta says he has 'failed with Ozil'.

"My conscience is very calm because I have been really fair," said Arteta.

"What I can say from my side is that it is just a football decision. My level of communication with him has been really high and we know what to expect with each other.

"Obviously a player of that dimension, with the career he has had, everything that happens around him has a big impact. It has been the case for the last eight years, it is nothing new that is just happening now. A lot of things have happened over these eight years.

"My job is to get the best out of every player, to contribute to the team performance.

"Here I feel at the moment, today, that I have failed. I want the best possible Mesut for the team. And in some moments I was able to get close to that, and at the moment I have not been able to do it because I have to make the decision to leave him out of the squad."
That is wierd. I understand if a manager says that a player isn’t suited to a certain way of playing but Artetas answer is very wierd.

Something fishy is going on. I don’t know if it is his big wage, his political statements or if he got into some big disagreement with manager/staff but I don’t believe or understand what Arteta is trying to say.

Ozil, love him or not, is best gifted player they have.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
His prime was actually in Madrid. At Arsenal, although he had good seasons, I don't think he reached his 2011-2012 or 2012-2013 footballing level.
The supporting cast is pretty different to be fair. He's an amazing player to have when everyone else on the side is world class, will finish what he creates and/or bust their ass to defend.
Arteta's failure is also Wenger, Emery and Ljungberg failures. If 4 differents managers start dropping you because you don't do enough, maybe you're the issue.
Money and politics and repeated digs at the board didn't help of course.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It's absolutely mad though that they paid him so much 2 years back and now don't think that he is good enough to even make the squad
What’s so surprising about that? United did worse with Sanchez the difference is someone was willing to take Sanchez while we can’t give Ozil away.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
If it's indeed a Arteta decision alone because he is not good enough then Özil must be really bad to not even be the 25th best player at Arsenal. Or Arsenal must have some really good players. Yet one glance at their squad and all I see is good players, but nothing that screams world class.

He is a problem because of the wages. And to be fair it becomes a big burden on the club if you are the best played player and do not contribute at that level. I guess Arteta want to free the wages to be used on other players.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
There's something not quite right about this story. The China thing is a red herring, nobody gives a monkeys about what a footballer says about the Chinese regime.

Part of it is surely a footballing thing. Arteta has admitted failing to get something out of Ozil. He just doesn't wan't him around the team. Ozil's body language is terrible and he doesn't chase opponents down. Arteta wants to play the Pep way and Ozil just can't do that. Wenger has said as much. This isn't a recent thing and Ozil was out of the team for long periods last season. Any decently managed club would have mitigated his wage costs by sending him out on loan and supplementing his wages.

What doesn't sit right with me is that Arsenal have allowed a player reputedly on £350k a week to sit on the payroll for so long without off loading him. Why have they done this but at the same time laid off 55 members of staff. It paints a picture of a board that would rather pay many millions through the nose to make an example of a player than provide support for their staff. Apparently the saving generated by the redundancies was equal to one month of Willians wages. It stinks.

Is Ozil refusing to leave the club full stop? Is he saying to them I don't want to play football anywhere in the world and will not leave under any circumstances? Not even Schalke or Bremen to see out his career? This seems such a mercenary and vindictive stance that I find it hard to believe that a modern sportsman would choose to end his career in the shadows like this. What ever happened to the love of the game? Or are Arsenal just so bitter and twisted about cocking up his contract that they want to punish him?

So what is it? Arsenal being bitter and twisted or Ozil milking the situation and biting off his nose to spite his face. The whole thing has very strange wiff about it.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
There's something not quite right about this story. The China thing is a red herring, nobody gives a monkeys about what a footballer says about the Chinese regime.
You're seriously under-estimating the leverage the CCPA has on the western brands. They've successful censured other sports like basketball when their players have taken a political stance against the Chinese regime.
Mesut Özil China row: western brands be warned, self-censorship won't protect you

Part of it is surely a footballing thing. Arteta has admitted failing to get something out of Ozil. He just doesn't wan't him around the team. Ozil's body language is terrible and he doesn't chase opponents down. Arteta wants to play the Pep way and Ozil just can't do that. Wenger has said as much. This isn't a recent thing and Ozil was out of the team for long periods last season. Any decently managed club would have mitigated his wage costs by sending him out on loan and supplementing his wages.
Arsenal gave Ozil a bumper contract once they lost Sanchez to United and were desperate to hold on to their only star player at that time. Once Wenger left, neither Emery nor Arteta have fancied Ozil and seem to believe that they'd be better off with younger, cheaper players rather than an excellent, albeit mature player. Arsenal are crying out for a creative midfielder and the only reason why they aren't playing Ozil is because they want him off the wage books.

What doesn't sit right with me is that Arsenal have allowed a player reputedly on £350k a week to sit on the payroll for so long without off loading him. Why have they done this but at the same time laid off 55 members of staff. It paints a picture of a board that would rather pay many millions through the nose to make an example of a player than provide support for their staff. Apparently the saving generated by the redundancies was equal to one month of Willians wages. It stinks.
Moving players off on such massive wages is always non-trivial. I'd blame Arsenal for being desperate to tie down a star and then completely move that star out of favour within a year after. But not sure Arsenal can do much if Ozil is happy to warm the bench and there are no takers for him.

Is Ozil refusing to leave the club full stop? Is he saying to them I don't want to play football anywhere in the world and will not leave under any circumstances? Not even Schalke or Bremen to see out his career? This seems such a mercenary and vindictive stance that I find it hard to believe that a modern sportsman would choose to end his career in the shadows like this. What ever happened to the love of the game? Or are Arsenal just so bitter and twisted about cocking up his contract that they want to punish him?

So what is it? Arsenal being bitter and twisted or Ozil milking the situation and biting off his nose to spite his face. The whole thing has very strange wiff about it.
Bale has done the same for the better part of the last two years and he was roundly celebrated here. The only reason he is playing any club football this season is because Madrid were desperate and they accepted the first offer which pays only about a third of his wages. No rational person would terminate their 250-350k / week contract and take a pay cut at this stage of their career. Particularly, when he has had a fruitful career so far and most likely his best days are behind him.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
The China comments were last year, and he then played almost every game after Arteta came in until the restart. I think that proves it's not a political issue, or a football issue.

The obvious answer is therefore his wages, and his refusal to agree to a wage cut. Since the 'leak' (surely from the club) that he was one of three players (the other two weren't announced) to refuse to agree to a wage cut, he hasn't played a minute. I assume that there must be some kind of game-bonus in his contract, so they're saving money by not playing him. I don't think it's the worst idea ever, given how much we're losing currently, and that he's been mostly ineffective for some time now. Though obviously it would have been easier if we could have agreed a loan or something in the summer.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
Not that this has any truth to it because I read it on Twitter, but apparently a lot of places in China stopped selling Arsenal merchandise and stopped any Arsenal stuff being shown on TV since his comments...

But yeah, it’s a weird situation to say the least.

fps

One of those players who was given so much money they just kinda stopped bothering.

What’s so surprising about that? United did worse with Sanchez the difference is someone was willing to take Sanchez while we can’t give Ozil away.
we got so lucky with Sanchez, especially as he was on a longer deal. There’s not a single other club apart from Inter who would have Taken him. Even then, icost us to pay off a proportion of his contract.

The big difference was we were able to loan him pre-Covid. If we hadn’t have done that, there’s no way they would have signed him this summer, too big of a financial risk.

that’s the big problem with Ozil, he’s a massive financial risk. He knows he’s not getting another contract anywhere near what he’s getting, and understandably doesn’t want to take a massive pay cut.

it’s a shame to have a player as good as him not able to play football.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
The China comments were last year, and he then played almost every game after Arteta came in until the restart. I think that proves it's not a political issue, or a football issue.
Were the comments really made last year?
I thought he said it in the context of the BLM protests and that perfectly fits with the timeline of him being dropped.

The wage cut thing might be an other issue why arsenal (the board) are pissed but I doubt he lost the dressing room because of itbessentially turned out that he was right about it. The cut was only for Kroenke to save some money not to help out staff or others.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Were the comments really made last year?
I thought he said it in the context of the BLM protests and that perfectly fits with the timeline of him being dropped.

The wage cut thing might be an other issue why arsenal (the board) are pissed but I doubt he lost the dressing room because of itbessentially turned out that he was right about it. The cut was only for Kroenke to save some money not to help out staff or others.
Not defending the wage cuts at all.

But yes, the China comments were in December, before Arteta came in. Özil was then first choice for Arteta until the league stopped in March.