Ozil

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Even in the world of football journalism and punditry, where you see all kinds of idiotic writings, this one stands out. I am hard-pressed to remember when I last read such forced, imagined, detached from reality pile of bullshit. Why is NYT wiriting about association football? They don't have any clue about it. And how do these people have jobs commenting on football? They should be making appointments at a psychoterapist's office, trying to address their chronic paranoia.

Ozil is where he is because of Ozil, and nobody else. If anything his support for Erdogan has hurt him more than anything he said about China. But if he played well, none of that would ever matter.
The facts in that article are widely agreed on, yet you can argue their inferences.

Ozil is Arsenal's highest paid player by far (38% more than PEA). They are lacking in creativity in the center of the park and desperately tried to refresh that area in the summer. However bad you might think Ozil is, Arsenal simply don't have any player who is capable of doing half the job which he can do. Look at their squad and they have only one other AM if I'm not wrong. Ozil being out of the squad for 'footballing' reasons doesn't quite fly, especially when Arse might struggle for top 4 again due to missing a creative spark.

The facts in that article are widely agreed on, yet you can argue their inferences.

Ozil is Arsenal's highest paid player by far (38% more than PEA). They are lacking in creativity in the center of the park and desperately tried to refresh that area in the summer. However bad you might think Ozil is, Arsenal simply don't have any player who is capable of doing half the job which he can do. Look at their squad and they have only one other AM if I'm not wrong. Ozil being out of the squad for 'footballing' reasons doesn't quite fly, especially when Arse might struggle for top 4 again due to missing a creative spark.
I think it’s legitimate to say that footballing reasons also covers the economics. Which is the reason he’s not there.

there are no disciplinary reasons, but they want to move him on to cut their wages, as as a result what’s the point in giving him game time if that’s taking it away from a player that’s going to be there for the long term.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

There are zero facts in that article. It's entirely a dumb conspiracy theory. Ozil has been Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez for a while now. China has nothing to do with it.

nuanced

I think it’s legitimate to say that footballing reasons also covers the economics. Which is the reason he’s not there.

there are no disciplinary reasons, but they want to move him on to cut their wages, as as a result what’s the point in giving him game time if that’s taking it away from a player that’s going to be there for the long term.
No doubt Arsenal wanting him off the wage books since Emery's first season, is also a key piece here.
Arsenal might struggle to compete for top 4 while they play in the EL. At a minimum Ozil will be around till Jan 2021 and at most till June 2021. If you're broke enough to lay off your employees and not good enough to meet the sporting targets, you'd think they'd have all hands on deck. While the youngsters getting time on the pitch is a plus for Arsenal, the financial gamble of missing on CL that Arse are taking doesn't seem to justify those reasons.

I suppose the only way we'll ever know definitively would be to see if Ozil is still frozen out if Arse run into an extended run of poor attacking form.

No doubt Arsenal wanting him off the wage books since Emery's first season, is also a key piece here.
Arsenal might struggle to compete for top 4 while they play in the EL. At a minimum Ozil will be around till Jan 2021 and at most till June 2021. If you're broke enough to lay off your employees and not good enough to meet the sporting targets, you'd think they'd have all hands on deck. While the youngsters getting time on the pitch is a plus for Arsenal, the financial gamble of missing on CL that Arse are taking doesn't seem to justify those reasons.

I suppose the only way we'll ever know definitively would be to see if Ozil is still frozen out if Arse run into an extended run of poor attacking form.
the point is to try and force him out in January. They have shown him there is now way back by not including him in the squad. They will hope to have 6 months wages from him.

Libano

the point is to try and force him out in January. They have shown him there is now way back by not including him in the squad. They will hope to have 6 months wages from him.
Ozil is a proud Turk. He will f&ck Arsenal back in whichever way he can, keep cashing those checks, then leave on a free transfer in the summer and cash in a nice signing bonus from his new club.

If I was Arsenal, I would at least try to squeeze a few good games out of him as that is as good as it will get for them.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
But if he played well, none of that would ever matter.
There's something to be said about people dumb enough to believe Ozil doesn't make the top 25 players at Arsenal in terms of footballing ability.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As I said a while ago; before this season the Ozil/Bale saga’s were very similar but the public perceptions were miles apart. Bale got his way out, and so far hasn’t looked near the pace of football needed. I imagine Ozil will invariably look the same, it’s just strange how he is seen as a villain in this by some.

As I said a while ago; before this season the Ozil/Bale saga’s were very similar but the public perceptions were miles apart. Bale got his way out, and so far hasn’t looked near the pace of football needed. I imagine Ozil will invariably look the same, it’s just strange how he is seen as a villain in this by some.
you are not comparing like for like.

Bale is very much the villain from Real’s perspective.

Luke1995

Yes, he might not go back into club management (most certainly not in England aside from Arsenal). He recently did an interview where he said he is more interested in working outside Europe and bridging the gap between the RoW and Europe.
I would like to see him in the MLS. A man like him could certainly be helpful for the development of that league. Always wondered why soccer (or football, like we say) isn't as popular in the United States as other sports are.

By the way, Ozil would be great for the MLS too. I think he has nothing to prove in Europe anymore.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Seems like the situation is finally getting resolved.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm just happy to see him still play in a decent European league and not moving to Europe, hopefully he will play in European competition next season with Fenerbache currently 2nd in the league.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Glad it's over. What a waste of time and money these 2 last years have been... Interesting to see if Arsenal bulged on those 7.5M or if Ozil took a hit.
The good news is we don't even have to look for a replacement, Willian has already taken his place as deadweight. Of all the brazilians there is we got the one that probably won't fancy going to China or the MLS.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Thank god it's nearly over. The club panicked after the Sanchez transfer and Ozil had them over a barrel. Whilst some of his performances have been great, I really don't understand some of the praise lavished on him by fellow Arsenal fans.

The fact he didn't leave in the summer when he knew he wasn't wanted, shows alot about him.

Oranges038

Remember seeing him at Bremen and thinking what a wonderful player he looked. Was excellent at Real. The guy was an assists machine, I think it's crazy that they sold him, it made no sense at the time when he was performing so well, 29 assists the season before they sold him. Ronaldo was rightly pissed off that was sold, he could have got more goals with Ozil behind him.

Started off well at Arsenal but there was always doubts about his workrate. The money they threw at him was crazy. But who wouldn't have taken it? The last couple of years for whatever reason he's played well on occassion but mostly he's been either shit or shut out, from the outside he looks to have been treated poorly there. Maybe it's more his attitude, I've read he likes to feel loved and have faith in the coaches.

While the move to Turkey might see a revival in form for him, I think this is s sad end to what could have been a fantastic career.

stubie

We should be looking to do the same with Jones, won’t cost us anywhere near that amount

Zlatattack

Glad to see him get the move. Clearly this wasn't about money but fear of China.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Thank god it's nearly over. The club panicked after the Sanchez transfer and Ozil had them over a barrel. Whilst some of his performances have been great, I really don't understand some of the praise lavished on him by fellow Arsenal fans.

The fact he didn't leave in the summer when he knew he wasn't wanted, shows alot about him.
Who wanted him in the summer?

Pep's Suit

His decline started in 17/18 when he missed 1/3 of league games. After that it was over for him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Glad it's over. What a waste of time and money these 2 last years have been... Interesting to see if Arsenal bulged on those 7.5M or if Ozil took a hit.
The good news is we don't even have to look for a replacement, Willian has already taken his place as deadweight. Of all the brazilians there is we got the one that probably won't fancy going to China or the MLS.
Willian did sign for Anzhi! So probably would take some big contract somewhere

Haddock

I'll never forget how he left Gareth Barry chasing his shadow before megging Cole in the England-Germany game. Sad that he played for Arsenal in the BludFam era.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Who wanted him in the summer?
No idea. However, I reckon he could have got a move to Turkey or the MLS if he had pushed for it.

If he was intent on sitting tight and wasting the club's time, we should have paid up his contract then and there. Letting this saga go on just kept damaging the club.

there’s a lot of good management in getting rid of players at the right time. Wenger used to be good at it generally.

wages are so high now, that when it does go wrong it costs a fortune.

Hazard, Bale, Sanchez, Ozil have all milked clubs for astonishing amounts of money.

all great players at one point, but because there are so few top players these days, clubs are so desperate to keep them/ or buy them and bow into their contract demands - especially length of contract.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
So if a player wants to leave but the club refuse to let the player leave it says a lot about the club?
I agree. That was a ridiculous take by the Arsenal supporter. It takes two sides to sign a contract so blaming Özil for not leaving earlier is a bit rich.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
The club were stupid for giving him the contract. I don't blame Ozil for signing as the money was ludicrous.

My point about him not wanting to leave was that he was happy taking the money as opposed to joining another team to reignite his career.

I mean he is totally within his rights to do this but It doesn't mean I have to like him for it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
From arseblog

In total Ozil made 254 appearances for Arsenal, scoring 44 goals and creating 77 assists.

Before the contract renewal on January 31st 2018
Appearances – 183 : Goals – 37 : Assists – 64

After the contract renewal on January 31st 2018
Appearances – 71 : Goals – 7 : Assists – 13

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

No it doesn’t. It says more about Arsenal and the way they abandoned their values after your toxic fans hounded Wenger out.

Yagami

Good post resistant
His partnership and link-up play with Alexis was some of the best I'd seen in the Premier League. Him, Alexis and Cazorla (& Ramsey to a lesser extent) were wonderful to watch together before Santi's unfortunate injury came. That kinda killed their season.

I really wanted to see them three against Barcelona in their CL tie but Cazorla missed both legs. His performance against Bayern in that 2-0 victory was brilliant, and I thought he could've done the same against that great Barca team, but I digress!

nuanced

Incredible that he stayed there for almost 8 years :eek:
Just over a 10 years back, he was the breakthrough German star after the WC and looked set for a long career at the top.

Robertd0803

I wonder how different things would have been had we signed Ozil instead of Sanchez that time. Idle curiosity.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Seen him mention/praise Rooney a couple of times on the twits. Probably has a soft spot for him after hearing how Wayne tried to convince United to sign him back when he was at Werder Bremen.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Good for him hope he does well there. Always liked him as a player and don’t really agree with Arsenals treatment of him.

Pep's Suit

Good for him hope he does well there. Always liked him as a player and don’t really agree with Arsenals treatment of him.
Whaaaat? He didn't perform for three years, turned down loan to PSG in January '20, refused to take a pay-cut unlike his team-mates etc.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
The club were stupid for giving him the contract. I don't blame Ozil for signing as the money was ludicrous.

My point about him not wanting to leave was that he was happy taking the money as opposed to joining another team to reignite his career.

I mean he is totally within his rights to do this but It doesn't mean I have to like him for it.
Got an £8m loyalty bonus in September - I would have stuck around for that and put 'reigniting my career' on hold for 4 months as well!

Hard to blame such an action given the way the club have treated him as well over the last year or so. Seems almost certain that the leak about him refusing to take a pay-cut came from the club itself given the deterioration in the relationship, and not being registered for any competition at all is quite an extreme and humiliating action to take in trying to force a player out the club.

(For what it's worth - I will also note that he's definitely a bit of a money grabbing bastard though).