Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The thing I like most about him is that he is hardly noticable in the game, if you don't particularly focus on him and the same applies for his opponent. I remember watching the game against Everton when Lukaku had his first shot around 35 or 40 minutes in the game and realised he played against McNair and both of them were hardly mentioned until then. He produced some really good performances against strong teams. They were all very consistent and concentrated. In my eyes he definitely deserves to start against Arsenal, regardless who returns until then.

Agree with this, based on this seasons performances he's our best CB and should be starting every game, I've lost all faith in Smalling and Jones, picking those guys time and time again and watching them constantly screw up is insanity.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'll keep saying it... I currently have more faith/belief in him then any of our other centre-backs.

Red Comet

Agree with this, based on this seasons performances he's our best CB and should be starting every game, I've lost all faith in Smalling and Jones, picking those guys time and time again and watching them constantly screw up is insanity.
Kneejerks, kneejerks everywhere!

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Kneejerks, kneejerks everywhere!
Not really, my opinion is based on evidence on the pitch, ever since his debut i've wanted him in the team so hardly a knee jerk reaction.

Red Comet

Not really, my opinion is based on evidence on the pitch, ever since his debut i've wanted him in the team so hardly a knee jerk reaction.
Many people are saying the same thing about Blackett till the match against Leicester.

Smalling did well against Chelsea and people were saying good things about him. Then he loses his head against Man City and nobody wanted him to pull on the Man Utd shirt again.

Jones was just unfortunate with his injuries. Before Moyes season people were constantly on how he's the next Duncan Edwards. Clearly he's not, but Jones has got a lot more than what's he's showing. And he's still only 22.

Don't get me wrong. I'm equally impressed by McNair's composure and maturity. However, he is still relatively inexperienced so it is expected that he will make mistakes. And he's made mistakes. So far, he hasn't been punished for it yet, but when we do concede a goal from it, I hope that the CAF isn't going to be too harsh on him.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Many people are saying the same thing about Blackett till the match against Leicester.

Smalling did well against Chelsea and people were saying good things about him. Then he loses his head against Man City and nobody wanted him to pull on the Man Utd shirt again.

Jones was just unfortunate with his injuries. Before Moyes season people were constantly on how he's the next Duncan Edwards. Clearly he's not, but Jones has got a lot more than what's he's showing. And he's still only 22.

Don't get me wrong. I'm equally impressed by McNair's composure and maturity. However, he is still relatively inexperienced so it is expected that he will make mistakes. And he's made mistakes. So far, he hasn't been punished for it yet, but when we do concede a goal from it, I hope that the CAF isn't going to be too harsh on him.
Yes i agree with most of what you have said, but on form McNair deserves to be playing that's why he should start, when/if the day comes when he is not playing to the right level he should be dropped but that hasn't happened yet so he should play. The reason i'm so frustrated with Jones and Smalling is because we've had them for so long and they have not stepped up, if they weren't signed by United they would be considered just as run of the mill PL defenders.

IwatUwat

He's done well to date, and pleased for him. He's got more chance with LVG than anyone, as Dutch coaches know young players make mistakes and if playing them are prepared to support that view to allow them to grow. Whether LVG shows this in the prem, will come and whether fans stick by him after mistakes.

But he's looked great so far, and probably our best CB over the games he's played in comparison.

Kag

He's done well, but as some have pointed out he hasn't been really tested defensively.
Really? He's been thrown in right at the deep end, alongside a partner that is new to the league and can't speak the language. He's had to see out 1 goal leads against both Everton and West Ham, two powerful teams with powerful centre forwards. He's then had to come on with 30 minutes to go in the City derby, in a team with 10 men, up against the best striker in the Premier League at the moment in Aguero. He's been tested and then some.

Red_toad

based on this season's performances mcnair deserves a place in the team than smalling or evans.
To be honest Smalling has been our best central defender this season based on performances on the pitch. McNair has been equal to any of the others.
Personally wish we could get a pairing going as all this chopping & changing isn't helping the team. Van Gaal must be pulling his hair out over our injury record at the back, it's feckin dire.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To be honest Smalling has been our best central defender this season based on performances on the pitch. McNair has been equal to any of the others.
Personally wish we could get a pairing going as all this chopping & changing isn't helping the team. Van Gaal must be pulling his hair out over our injury record at the back, it's feckin dire.
Are you sure about that ? Smalling played 5 games this season and in this 5 games there is two disastrous performances one against Leicester and the other one against Man City.

Rojo has been our best CB, with Mcnair and Jones.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you didn't watch the Leicester game? Or see what he did vs City? I would say McNair has actually performed better than Smalling as well as Rojo and Jones (who was pretty good first few games before injury)

JohnnyLaw

Really? He's been thrown in right at the deep end, alongside a partner that is new to the league and can't speak the language. He's had to see out 1 goal leads against both Everton and West Ham, two powerful teams with powerful centre forwards. He's then had to come on with 30 minutes to go in the City derby, in a team with 10 men, up against the best striker in the Premier League at the moment in Aguero. He's been tested and then some.
Well you're just stating facts that don't really relate to the subject of my statement. As I said he and the rest of the defence for that matter have been protected by the fact that we've kept the ball very well and played with a really low in defence. If you look at the compilations from his games against West Ham and Everton, 90% of them consists of him passing the ball sideways in defence. The occasions where he's actually challenged by an opponent are very few and far between. The same goes for the game against City, by the time he came on the pressure on us was off and we were mostly controlling the game and chasing the equaliser.

As I said though I think that he's done well but to say that he should have a permanent place in the side over Smalling/Evans/Jones is just setting him up to fall. We've already done it with Blackett this season, who did very well up until the Leicester game where he made a few mistakes and just like that he was yesterdays news.

Red_toad

So you didn't watch the Leicester game? Or see what he did vs City? I would say McNair has actually performed better than Smalling as well as Rojo and Jones (who was pretty good first few games before injury)
Yes I did. I still hold the opinion that he has been our best central defender thus far this season. You don't agree good on ya!

Kag

Well you're just stating facts that don't really relate to the subject of my statement. As I said he and the rest of the defence for that matter have been protected by the fact that we've kept the ball very well and played with a really low in defence. If you look at the compilations from his games against West Ham and Everton, 90% of them consists of him passing the ball sideways in defence. The occasions where he's actually challenged by an opponent are very few and far between. The same goes for the game against City, by the time he came on the pressure on us was off and we were mostly controlling the game and chasing the equaliser.

As I said though I think that he's done well but to say that he should have a permanent place in the side over Smalling/Evans/Jones is just setting him up to fall. We've already done it with Blackett this season, who did very well up until the Leicester game where he made a few mistakes and just like that he was yesterdays news.
What you seem to be suggesting is that he hasn't had a great deal of defending to do. While you may be right in saying he hasn't had to throw himself into tackles like we would see from Jones, if I were to play devil's advocate, that could be because his positional play has generally been strong. He's played with his head up and the only time he's really lost his man in our 18 yard box has been against Aguero last week.

He has a long way to go, and you certainly won't find me saying he should be in the team ahead of our other options, as he hasn't demonstrated nearly as much as these guys have done in the past, but to say that he hasn't been thrown in at the deep end and tested defensively is a little unfair. Sure, he hasn't had to come up against a barnstorming frenzy of attacks by players like Ronaldo and Bale, but nullifying a powerhouse like Lukaku, or defending well against West Ham on your debut is certainly evidence of defending well and being tested in a tough environment.

What more would you like to see from him, for example? If it's playing under the cosh against the best sides in the league then I think he may well struggle, but that wouldn't surprise me given his inexperience. Most lads would.

Cassidy

We were under the kosh against Westham and Everton, particularly against Everton he defended well (and to top it dealt with Lukaku very well)

I don't mind him starting games (if he plays next to someone experienced), the think with Blackett is that Rojo and Shaw have been fit mostly since Leicester. Im pretty sure he will get more chances if we have an experienced right sided CB fit and Rojo is out injured.

JohnnyLaw

What you seem to be suggesting is that he hasn't had a great deal of defending to do. While you may be right in saying he hasn't had to throw himself into tackles like we would see from Jones, if I were to play devil's advocate, that could be because his positional play has generally been strong. He's played with his head up and the only time he's really lost his man in our 18 yard box has been against Aguero last week.

He has a long way to go, and you certainly won't find me saying he should be in the team ahead of our other options, as he hasn't demonstrated nearly as much as these guys have done in the past, but to say that he hasn't been thrown in at the deep end and tested defensively is a little unfair. Sure, he hasn't had to come up against a barnstorming frenzy of attacks by players like Ronaldo and Bale, but nullifying a powerhouse like Lukaku, or defending well against West Ham on your debut is certainly evidence of defending well and being tested in a tough environment.

What more would you like to see from him, for example? If it's playing under the cosh against the best sides in the league then I think he may well struggle, but that wouldn't surprise me given his inexperience. Most lads would.
I'd definitely agree with you on the bolded part, he seems like an intelligent player from what he's shown so far. Lukaku is having a poor season by his standards, he's been nullified plenty and against worse defences than ours. I'd say that the game against West Ham was where he was challenged the most but it was only on a few occasions.

The sample we're judging him from is far too small while the team has also been set up to keep the pressure off of our defence which makes it even more difficult to . I'd need to see him performing like he has consistantly over a longer period of time but above that I need to see how he performs when conditions are different. For me he needs to prove that he can maintain the level he's shown in games where the tempo's higher and there's more space for opponents to run at him. I also think he might struggle to handle larger, more physical players when the ball's played into the box as he's obviously not a powerful player.

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to discredit him, i'm just trying to stay grounded. As a 19 year old CB I wouldn't expect him to be ready but he's showing plenty of talent.

Kag

I'd definitely agree with you on the bolded part, he seems like an intelligent player from what he's shown so far. Lukaku is having a poor season by his standards, he's been nullified plenty and against worse defences than ours. I'd say that the game against West Ham was where he was challenged the most but it was only on a few occasions.

The sample we're judging him from is far too small while the team has also been set up to keep the pressure off of our defence which makes it even more difficult to . I'd need to see him performing like he has consistantly over a longer period of time but above that I need to see how he performs when conditions are different. For me he needs to prove that he can maintain the level he's shown in games where the tempo's higher and there's more space for opponents to run at him. I also think he might struggle to handle larger, more physical players when the ball's played into the box as he's obviously not a powerful player.

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to discredit him, i'm just trying to stay grounded. As a 19 year old CB I wouldn't expect him to be ready but he's showing plenty of talent.
Fair post, and I agree with your reasoning in this case. Eventually, when our defensive situation is more clear, I expect he'll head out on loan somewhere to continue his development. That will give us a better indication as to how good he can be. If he excels elsewhere then we've got a player on our hands. Right now, it's actually quite hard to assess any of our defenders when they just need to be able to walk to get a game.

Cassidy

Fair post, and I agree with your reasoning in this case. Eventually, when our defensive situation is more clear, I expect he'll head out on loan somewhere to continue his development. That will give us a better indication as to how good he can be. If he excels elsewhere then we've got a player on our hands. Right now, it's actually quite hard to assess any of our defenders when they just need to be able to walk to get a game.
The lad has acquitted himself very well so far, even better than some of the established players (who might I add have been playing under the same circumstances)

If we sign a couple of top CBs in Jan then yes he can go out on loan, but if not I would rather he remained here, trained with the first team and got starts ahead of inconsistent but more experienced CBs we have right now, maybe not in the biggest games, but definitely in a home game against Palace or Burnley etc.

All well as experience the team sheet should be selected on form, and this lads form has been very good.

Crashoutcassius

I love him but annoying for him is he's at the same club as Evans and Jones and has a manager that will only play a left footer with a right footer. Any left footed centre backs have a much better chance of getting in the team longer term I'd say. Unless we sign Laporte!

I actually love Jones but I very much am impressed by McNair - I also love Tom Thorpe tho!

Water Melon

If they are good enough, they are old enough. I am sure LvG rates him highly and will take the best care of Paddy's development. The lad has composure and a proper football brain, and will turn into a first-class CB. He will make mistakes of course, as he very is still very young and inexperienced, however, a day will come when we all be proud of having such a fantastic CB in our team, our own academy product.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I love him but annoying for him is he's at the same club as Evans and Jones and has a manager that will only play a left footer with a right footer. Any left footed centre backs have a much better chance of getting in the team longer term I'd say. Unless we sign Laporte!

I actually love Jones but I very much am impressed by McNair - I also love Tom Thorpe tho!
Literally every single young CB can only wish to be at the same club as those two ( toss Smalling in and it's three ) permacrocks.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He just needs to make sure he avoids the 'injury disease' at the club and he'll be fine. He's done well for a newly promoted teenager to the first team. Seems to have a good football brain and lots of composure. If he stays fit and takes in everything he'll learn from LVG, then he's got a bright future ahead. Hope he makes it.

DevilRed

So composed for someone that's so young. Just doesnt seem phased by the occassion and rarely makes a bad decision. Could have easily stuck his leg out on several occassions in the box but really kept his composure and saw out the danger. Much better player than Blackett.

I think if he keeps improving we will likely see him eventually become a regular for the club.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He really deserves a lot of credit. Only 4 games into his professional career and he's looked so composed. I get nervous every time Blackett has the ball but this guy is completely different.

FromTheBench

He was flustered when pressed today though not helped with Smalling and Valencia on either side. Smalling wanted to use him as outlet and then be rushed a more ambitous pass which fecked up and came back on few occasions.

Solid in defence though and was much more switched on constantly than other side. Maybe can improve aerially a bit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did well later in the game after our defence's very shaky start.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Outstanding today. The boy has a real chance, although too slow for my liking perhaps.

MDFC Manager

Not convinced by him or Blackett tbh. Both look very shaky in possession and both were lucky at times not to give the ball away in key areas.
Both thanks to the system IMO. He looked assured enough when playing in a regular back 4

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Both thanks to the system IMO. He looked assured enough when playing in a regular back 4
Fair comment and I think the whole team looked shaky in the first 40 minutes in that formation. But even when everyone else had settled I saw Blackett get very lucky not to be dispossessed leaving Welbeck with a 1v1 and McNair really lucky not to let Sanchez in doing the same.