View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

kps88

Hard to believe he was dragged off at HT away to Swansea the last time he started for us.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
That warm fuzzy feeling you get when an academy player does well...

I would like to see him play as a DM in the future
Trying to predict the long-term future of a versatile teenager is tricky at the best of times, and when said teenager has gone from being a pint-sized #10 to looking like a proper Premiership CB in about 3 years, it seems damn near pointless. But right here, right now I agree, I think he'll be the perfect replacement for Carrick somewhere down the line.

Sid234

he made some exceptional passes, and played with a lot of confidence yesterday! Great to see him grow over this season..

El-Manos

I don't think anybody expected him to feature as much as he has, at the start of the season. Was very composed yesterday, fair play to the lad.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's developing faster than anyone expected. Another year or two and he we may have a starting XI contender on our hands.

Litch

I have to take it back, this lad is a proper footballer. Given we have Shaw as well who was equally outstanding yesterday, if we can keep DDG, the future looks bright for the defence.

LARulz

Is it me or is he getting very little credit in the press for the job he has done this season, especially yesterday?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'd actually sell one of Jones or Evans if it means he'd get the games to develop for us.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
To be honest I've not been that impressed with him earlier in the season aside from his debut and the Everton game but he was excellent yesterday.

MajorTom

Yesterday at a few points I confused him with Carrick (even though he wasn't playing), he was so far forward and knocking some great little passes about. You can tell he used to play further forward during his teens. Think he is nailed on the become a first team regular for us in the seasons to come.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yesterday at a few points I confused him with Carrick (even though he wasn't playing), he was so far forward and knocking some great little passes about. You can tell he used to play further forward during his teens. Think he is nailed on the become a first team regular for us in the seasons to come.
His surging forward runs reminded me a bit of Jones as well. Its as if Phil instructed him to not be shy and make a few runs into the opposing half. He's also got a wicked shot on him. I reckon he'll knock a few goals in over his career.

LARulz

I think if everyone is fit, he wouldn't be ahead of Smalling and Jones/Rojo but I was thinking something similar yesterday. Maybe we could use him as back up for Carrick/Carrick's back up back up next season once in a while. We'll have a lot of games next year and our injuries never seem to end.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Just realised Evans is back now from his suspension, if all 4 players that were injured on the weekend can't make it for the Everton game, maybe we could consider playing McNair in midfield with Evans at the back?

Oddboy

Unbelievably comfortable with the ball at his feet. You can tell that he used to be a midfielder. If his defensive game sharpens up over the next couple of years we could have a solid player on our hands.

MajorTom

His surging forward runs reminded me a bit of Jones as well. Its as if Phil instructed him to not be shy and make a few runs into the opposing half. He's also got a wicked shot on him. I reckon he'll knock a few goals in over his career.
Yeah, he did really well in that aspect. He had a really good attempt on goal too so the signs are there that he can pop up with a few, not just headers from corners.

I think if everyone is fit, he wouldn't be ahead of Smalling and Jones/Rojo but I was thinking something similar yesterday. Maybe we could use him as back up for Carrick/Carrick's back up back up next season once in a while. We'll have a lot of games next year and our injuries never seem to end.
I just checked his wiki page after thinking he might actually still be a teen after I said such and McGuinness has compared him to Carrick himself. I see him more of a defender myself but he could do a job there. By the time he is 22/23 he will be a real contender to be a starter if he continues to progress as such. Wilson seemed to be the youngster to make the step up this year but it has been Mcnair. Even after the dodgy performance against the Saints he has just continued with the same exuberance and confidence that he did previously to that game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can't wait til one of those master blasters hits the net.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd actually sell one of Jones or Evans if it means he'd get the games to develop for us.
Sell both and bring another top drawer centre back in. Smalling/Hummels?/McNair/Rojo

ZDwyr

To be honest I've not been that impressed with him earlier in the season aside from his debut and the Everton game but he was excellent yesterday.
I am the exact same. He really impressed me, well done.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
If there's any doubt of Jones or Rojo's fitness, I'd like to see McNair start again. In fact even if they are fit you could make a good case for him deserving another starting spot after his performance.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He had a good season for a 19 years old rookie centreback.

jem

Is it me or is he getting very little credit in the press for the job he has done this season, especially yesterday?
I think he ranks near the top when it comes to pleasant surprises this season (alongside the more obvious candidates, Young and Fellaini.) That header in his first game is one of the plays of the season, as far as I'm concerned.

We've heard about how LVG introduced the likes of Alaba and Muller at Bayern; you can't help wondering if he sees similar potential in McNair (offering him a contract seems like a good indication that he does.) He just looks very comfortable on the ball, very composed in the manner of Carrick. Perhaps a season-long loan to get him regular playing time might not be a bad idea.

POF

There was a lot of hype about him after his first few games. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. But the more I have seen of him the more impressed I have been. He definitely has something about him. He has been excellent this season.

It is extremely premature to suggest him playing the Carrick role. Playing a few nice passes and making some surging runs out of defence is a long way away from dictating the tempo of the entire team's play.

Sam

Considering the circumstances, I thought he was incredible yesterday. Showed maturity way beyond his years and experience, and his ability on the ball is very very good indeed.

Dante

Average bang
I think he's an exceptional prospect. I can definitely see him maturing into a Carrick type player.

He pretty much ran the game from right back against Cambridge, and he displayed the same composure and fearlessness yesterday. I hope he gets a few run outs in midfield before the end of the season.

marlowe78

He was really a pleasant surprise. I actually have rated him more than others on here but I expected him to struggle against the league leaders. He didn't look out of place at all and made some superb carries through the middle.

I don't want to get too excited yet because we did over Evans's potential and came to find out that he needed a solid defender like Rio or Vidic next to him. I'm also not certain if we should ever play him as a MF, as he looks a bit heavy on his feet. I would sooner have Jones play there before him ATM.

steeeb

I'd like to see Smalling and McNair CB partnership for the next few games. I think it could work quite well. His confidence on the ball is his biggest asset I think. LvG will love it, too.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Unbelievable composure on the ball for a rookie defender playing away against the no.1 team in the league, should be given more time to develop.

Skills

Snitch
Championship/Lower Premier League loan would be good for him. His defending needs quite a bit of work yet and I think that kind of environment would really help bring it up a level.

Gerald G

He played well yesterday but I think some are getting ahead of themselves. People wouldn't have been saying these things after the Southampton or Swansea games.

He's done relatively well for us since he joined the first team but I would still much rather have Jones and Rojo ahead because they're better than him. I would probably have him over Evans because I don't think Evans has a future here anymore. Sell Evans in the summer and go with 5 CB's next season. Smalling, Hummels, Jones, Rojo & McNair. I'm just using Hummels as an example by the way.

JoaquinJoaquin

He played well yesterday but I think some are getting ahead of themselves. People wouldn't have been saying these things after the Southampton or Swansea games.

He's done relatively well for us since he joined the first team but I would still much rather have Jones and Rojo ahead because they're better than him. I would probably have him over Evans because I don't think Evans has a future here anymore. Sell Evans in the summer and go with 5 CB's next season. Smalling, Hummels, Jones, Rojo & McNair. I'm just using Hummels as an example by the way.
TBH I would probably sell Jones in Summer to if it was up to me, And have Smalling / Rojo / McNair / Hummels? as the 4 rotating, as Smalling will obviously pick up injuries.

Gerald G

TBH I would probably sell Jones in Summer to if it was up to me, And have Smalling / Rojo / McNair / Hummels? as the 4 rotating, as Smalling will obviously pick up injuries.
Why would you do that? Plus if we are to compete in the Champions League it wouldn't be wise to go with 4 especially given McNair's inexperience and injury problems to Smalling.

ThanksBoss26

Agreed. We'll need five with European football and the injuries we get back there and I think Evans will be the one to sacrifice.