View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Kag

Head dropped today and started feeling sorry for himself.

It's expected. He'll learn from it
It was expected when he did it against Southampton? and got taken off. This has happened a few times now and it's not a very good thing to see. He's young, but not that young.

Bojan11

That trying to tackle for the first goal was typical of him. He's made tackles like that before and got away with it.

Just don't see anything special to suggest he has a long term future here. Where as you look at Stones, who is a similar age then you see the big difference in quality.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As a 19 year old with virtually no experience, he's been quite impressive this year. Another year or two and he'll be a top player.

ZDwyr

Bit of a let down after an impressive performance against Chelsea.

kundalini

Another Southampton standard shocker from McNair. He seems to completely lose confidence once he makes a big error. Never recovered from terribly weak challenge for their first goal.

Of course he has had a super season etc etc.

As to whether he will be a good player in the long run, I have no idea.

VanGaalEra

Just really panicky and hesitant. Was also his fault we might be without Rooney now FFS.

Hed Zitin

The next good game he has has to be met with caution. There is a player there, but he's just a kid and he's very much a work in progress. Expect inconstancy.

Acole9

Outstanding
There is promise there for sure, unfortunately he just let his head slip but he is getting better.

Devil may care

A learning experience for him today, he had a lot more defending to do than last week and he buckled on a few occasions.

Roboc7

Looks good bringing the ball out but defensively not good enough yet, if he had done his job for the first goal it could haven been a different game. No point being great on the ball if you are a defensive liability.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Wonder if it would be better to hone him for the Carrick role, he's confident on the ball but doesn't seem to have any specific trait that makes him a good CB.

m1y2

as long as he doesn't need to defend he's fine, it's almost the same with Blackett he struggles to be a good defender when actually playing in defense

Ekeke

He had another off day which is expected of a young CB and I was surprised he wasn't hooked again. He was good on the ball mind you, but was given a lesson by Lukaku on many occasions and was nowhere near good enough for Everton's first goal where McCarthy ran the ball right through him.

Perhaps he stayed on as part of his learning process, needing to dig himself out of a hole he helped create. At the same time there was only Blackett or moving Blind to CB as alternatives.

Leg-End

He's having trouble stringing together some form. He's had a couple of good performances at CB then immediately followed them up with poor games, I think he also did the same at RB and was hauled off in the first half of the next one.

RooneyLegend

Nah, not really a defender is he. Good on the ball but just like Rojo and evans he can't defend. All good and well when the opposition poses little to no threat but in a game like today, he's gonna hurt us.

Skills

Snitch
as long as he doesn't need to defend he's fine, it's almost the same with Blackett he struggles to be a good defender when actually playing in defense
A bit harsh as he's much more competent than Blackett at defending, but I share similar sentiments.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Wonder if it would be better to hone him for the Carrick role, he's confident on the ball but doesn't seem to have any specific trait that makes him a good CB.
Have to agree with this. No coincidence that his best game came when he didn't have to defend.

Maybe a loan can help him develop the defensive side of his game...

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was terrible. Another game he could've been hooked in and I wouldnt have been surprised. Hopefully we don't have to use him again for the rest of the season.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I do quite like his marauding runs forward.

But that really should be a secondary element to his game rather than the only positive you take out of it.

Don't think he was horrendous today as some are suggesting. Should have been more decisive on the tackle for the first goal. Scared of giving way a penalty.

He'll learn.

jem

Nah, not really a defender is he. Good on the ball but just like Rojo and evans he can't defend. All good and well when the opposition poses little to no threat but in a game like today, he's gonna hurt us.
Or we could look on the bright side, and say that he's a 19 year-old who shown great promise this season, with the dips in form (some quite startling,) that are to be expected with someone who is so young, and not getting a regular run-out. I think he'd definitely benefit from a good loan spell, but I think we've got a real prospect on our hands.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I said this after the Chelsea game, and still think it would be a great option with Carrick getting older. Paddy clearly can play, he's a good passer and dribbles confidently into the space. It's to be seen yet though if he can have the positioning required for that role, but I am sure he could mould into that.

Classical Mechanic

That trying to tackle for the first goal was typical of him. He's made tackles like that before and got away with it.

Just don't see anything special to suggest he has a long term future here. Where as you look at Stones, who is a similar age then you see the big difference in quality.
Stones seems to fancy himself a bit. I do worry that McNair isn't a good enough defender. Really good on the ball but quite shaky at his bread and butter.

dar10nian

Fletchers biggest fan
He is good in possession but probably needs to hit the gym and bulk up over the summer. A bit soft for a centre back. Has to be stronger in the tackle.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Have to agree with this. No coincidence that his best game came when he didn't have to defend.

Maybe a loan can help him develop the defensive side of his game...
He was great against Everton at home and we did a load of defending that day.

Poor today mind.

RooneyLegend

Or we could look on the bright side, and say that he's a 19 year-old who shown great promise this season, with the dips in form (some quite startling,) that are to be expected with someone who is so young, and not getting a regular run-out. I think he'd definitely benefit from a good loan spell, but I think we've got a real prospect on our hands.
He hasn't shown great promise, honestly going down this road would be a waste of time for all parties involved. Its quite clear he'll never be good enough to be a first choice defender for us. He's good on the ball and that's about it. He has no recognizable defensive game at all and asking him to develop the whole package is just asking too much.

wiz4231

I said this after the Chelsea game, and still think it would be a great option with Carrick getting older. Paddy clearly can play, he's a good passer and dribbles confidently into the space. It's to be seen yet though if he can have the positioning required for that role, but I am sure he could mould into that.
If any of our academy should play that role it should be Thorpe, he has proved time and time again he can do it and it well at reserve level. Then there is Goss and also Pearson who can also play that role. There's no need to give McNair a new role because he's not all that he was hyped up to be as a CB.

jb8521

If any of our academy should play that role it should be Thorpe, he has proved time and time again he can do it and it well at reserve level. Then there is Goss and also Pearson who can also play that role. There's no need to give McNair a new role because he's not all that he was hyped up to be as a CB.
I think there's actually quite a few players who are better in that role at the club than Thorpe he's never looked particularly impressive in that role, he does a job there but thats about it never excels there and is clearly better playing centre half

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
It was expected when he did it against Southampton? and got taken off. This has happened a few times now and it's not a very good thing to see. He's young, but not that young.
He's 19, are we expecting players to flourish from the age of 16 now?

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
He's just a kid, games like these will happen.

Can't really blame him a whole lot when the whole team bar Smalling was shit today.
Exactly, Remember when we bought Smalling and he was still at Fulham, they played him a lot of games and almost every game he made a mistake or two.

Dante

Average bang
He needs to spend some time in the gym. And by that I mean I think he needs to get proper hench.

He seems to have a similar physique to Evans... I hope he doesn't go down the same route and end up being an easy target for big centre forwards.

R'hllor

People get lost a bit when they judge young players,it looks like being 19 is a new 30 for defenders.For example,anyone knew anything about Vidic or where he played when he was 19 year old?I doubt it.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Bad game from him today. Needs to work on his defensive side of his game a whole lot more, as today we saw him being indecisive in tackles (cost us the first goal) and some poor positioning at other times. Saying that I really liked how he brought the ball out of defence with some of his runs today. He seems so comfortable carrying the ball forward and it really opens the game up a lot as the other team has to scramble to cover him.

Hopefully he improves significantly on the defensive side of the game when we don't have the ball in his next game.

Gannicus

Not a great performance from young Paddy today, but if he keeps working hard he'll have a great career.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He hasn't shown great promise, honestly going down this road would be a waste of time for all parties involved. Its quite clear he'll never be good enough to be a first choice defender for us. He's good on the ball and that's about it. He has no recognizable defensive game at all and asking him to develop the whole package is just asking too much.
Good grief.