Paedophile Richard Huckle stabbed to death at Full Sutton Prison

djdhrubs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50042406

To me, it reads like this: "Horrible man dies in prison. Let's remind you in detail how abhorrent he was so we don't feel too bad about a lapse in prison security. In fact, let's not focus on that whatsoever."

In my opinion, the main news here is that someone was killed whilst in prison, where they should have been safe.

Am I the only one slightly disturbed by the tone of the article, particularly given it's BBC?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To me it reads like the reports of the death of a high profile criminal. I don't really have a problem with the article but also think that an other article questioning the conditions of his death could be published.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I believe the death penalty should be in place for cases like this - the crimes he committed should equal being put to sleep imo...

I also believe that the staff who allowed that to happen in the Prison should be held accountable and face serious consequences.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I found the article's tone to be fine aside, perhaps, from the tabloid-ish use of 'bragged' & 'boasted'...but even that didn't seem especially gratuitous.

fergieisold

To me, it reads like this: "Horrible man dies in prison. Let's remind you in detail how abhorrent he was so we don't feel too bad about a lapse in prison security. In fact, let's not focus on that whatsoever."

In my opinion, the main news here is that someone was killed whilst in prison, where they should have been safe.

Am I the only one slightly disturbed by the tone of the article, particularly given it's BBC?
I don't care that this particular individual has been stabbed to death. A deserving end really for a horrible human being. However like you say it does still raise questions about how it happened. What if this kind of thing was allowed to happen to prisoners who don't deserve such an ending?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I don't care that this particular individual has been stabbed to death. A deserving end really for a horrible human being. However like you say it does still raise questions about how it happened. What if this kind of thing was allowed to happen to prisoners who don't deserve such an ending?
Whether or not this man "deserves" to be murdered or not, the fact remains that we no longer have the death penalty on this country and murder is still illegal, however "deserving" the victim.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

Without knowing exactly what happened you can’t know whether it was a lapse in security at all. There are often three prison officers to a wing and you don’t know that they haven’t been intentionally distracted while this took place.

Anyway irrespective of if and buts, I think you have a bit of an idealised impression of what a prison is like. Bullying and assaults are the norm unfortunately and until the staffing issues are sorted, this won’t change.

redshaw

When things happen like this it reminds me of Stefan Kiszko who spent 16 years in jail but was found not guilty, the real killer of the young girl was caught eventually through DNA. He didn't live long enough to see any compensation such was the damage done mentally and physically and died not long after being released.

When the death penalty gets brought up in the past this case is often mentioned as a reason why. Of course improvements in detection have been made.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah, if you're gonna be locking people up then it's your job to prevent stuff like this from happening. The prison should be held liable and his family (if any) should be compensated.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Yeah, if you're gonna be locking people up then it's your job to prevent stuff like this from happening. The prison should be held liable and his family (if any) should be compensated.
I'd say him being dead is compensation enough for them.

Charlie Foley

I saw Richard Huckle and my brain couldn’t get past Richard Hammond. Safe to say I was pretty shocked

Eyepopper

Well for one, it releases them from the obligation to kill the cnut themselves.

As a matter of interest, how much do you think you'd be owed if your brother was one of the most prolific pedophiles in the world and was murdered in prison? And would you be donating it to his victims?

adexkola

Supports
Family disowned him.
Ah. Point is moot.

Well for one, it releases them from the obligation to kill the cnut themselves.

As a matter of interest, how much do you think you'd be owed if your brother was one of the most prolific pedophiles in the world and was murdered in prison? And would you be donating it to his victims?
True on your first point, although such a murder would be subsequently prosecuted (you don't get freebies for killing pedos)

The same amount I would get if my brother was killed in jail while serving a sentence for a less emotionally charged crime like theft. I wouldn't be averse to making that donation, it's just making sure the state has a financial incentive to looking after the welfare of all it's inmates. Yes, including the pedos

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I agree that he was a complete waste of space and the tax payers money, that recidivism is high but if we're going to have someone killed for their atrocious and unacceptable crimes then we don't rely on convicted criminals deciding for themselves that their hierarchy of armed robbers and blaggers are good enough to execute these animals. Not that I agree with capital punishment which makes it a bit of a problem.

What I'm saying is that if we're going to celebrate the death of a convicted pedophile then we take responsibility for it ourselves and have the courage of our convictions. Personally I'd rather have them see out the rest of their lives in a padded cell with no interaction whatsoever apart from meals and healthcare to ensure they live as long and boring an existence as possible.

LARulz

The guy was a sick cnut but, assuming his prison life wasn't great, I can't help but feel slightly annoyed.

I like the idea of people like this (no chance of reform and really should never be out under any circumstances) being locked up till old age. Never actually being free but seeing it daily, constantly living in fear that someone might snap, be potentially beaten or worse nearly daily etc. That constant state of fear and pain is what people like him deserve - death, when you know your life will be like that till you are 100, is probably preferable as it skips all that.

adexkola

Supports
The guy was a sick cnut but, assuming his prison life wasn't great, I can't help but feel slightly annoyed.

I like the idea of people like this (no chance of reform and really should never be out under any circumstances) being locked up till old age. Never actually being free but seeing it daily, constantly living in fear that someone might snap, be potentially beaten or worse nearly daily etc. That constant state of fear and pain is what people like him deserve - death, when you know your life will be like that till you are 100, is probably preferable as it skips all that.
How about psychological torture? That goes one step further while keeping them alive.

Eyepopper

True on your first point, although such a murder would be subsequently prosecuted (you don't get freebies for killing pedos)
So are we advocating the death penalty I'm cases like this then?

It'd be interesting to see the level of resistance.

The same amount I would get if my brother was killed in jail while serving a sentence for a less emotionally charged crime like theft. I wouldn't be averse to making that donation, it's just making sure the state has a financial incentive to looking after the welfare of all it's inmates. Yes, including the pedos
But your brother convicted of theft would be a lot less likely to be targeted to be murdered than your brother who was a notorious child rapist, so surely some level of personal responsibility should come into play, no?

ie, you grandstand over raping children, you forego some level of right to compensation for retribution for raping children.

LARulz

How about psychological torture? That goes one step further while keeping them alive.
I guess that's what I kind of meant but without a bunch of guards/doctor's doing strapping him down and doing stuff.

Maybe it's just me but if I was in a situation where I was never going to see freedom again (even if I did, I would have lost my "prime" years and have nothing to go to), constantly worried if I'll get beaten (or worse) the next day, how bad it will be and have nobody to turn to that can realistically stop it for good would drive me insane and death is probably a preferred option (what would I be living for otherwise?)

Eyepopper

I agree, I think a far more appropriate punishment would be amputation of all limbs and removal of the tongue.

Let him exist for the rest of his, hopefully long life, in a bed, unable to communicate to think about how his crimes have impacted on his life.

diarm

I don't know why I watched that video. Somehow I had managed to get this far without knowing this piece of shit ever existed and now that I do, I feel physically sick. I don't agree with vigilantism or capital punishment but I can't help but feel a little relieved that there's a little less pure evil in the world today.

fergieisold

Whether or not this man "deserves" to be murdered or not, the fact remains that we no longer have the death penalty on this country and murder is still illegal, however "deserving" the victim.
Nope we don't have the death penalty thankfully. But if people like this happen to be murdered by others for their crimes I find it hard to sympathise.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Nobody should be being murdered in a UK prison. I have very little sympathy (in fact I have none) for the man killed, but he was under the supervision of the state and should have been safe.

Investigation needed to find out how it was allowed to happen.