Film Palm Springs (No Spoilers)

SirAnderson

So, usually not my kind of genre, but gave it a try because of Jake Peralta. (that's his real name for me okay)

Enjoyed it very much but definitely messed with my head!

I've read up about it on reddit and the internet, but that's like walking up to strangers in the street and asking them.
Much more interested to find out from my fellow caftards their weird and wonderful theories on its ending (spoilered of course).

Do go watch the movie now, it's not long at all. ;)

Let me know your thoughts!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I loved it. One of the best rom-coms I have seen. Will watch it again soon. Cristin Milioti is amazing in the movie, Samberg is ok too.

shabz

It reminded me if a mixture between Groundhog Day and Happy Death Day. It wasn't laugh out loud funny but it did keep me and the mrs interested and amused.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Thought it was great. Really clever, funny, very likable leads and a right old head feck at times too.

J.K Simmons was really funny in the scenes he was in, too.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Where's it available?

Can we make it mandatory if anyone recommends a film or TV show they tell us if it's in netflix or prime etc.

Massive Spanner

Where's it available?

Can we make it mandatory if anyone recommends a film or TV show they tell us if it's in netflix or prime etc.
If only there was some vast web of information you could quickly use to find out!

It's not on Netflix or Amazon, reporting a torrent is your best bet.

Bubz27

If only there was some vast web of information you could quickly use to find out!

It's not on Netflix or Amazon, reporting a torrent is your best bet.
Would take 5 seconds for someone to say "... On netflix..." Rather than me opening netflix and prime

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Aren't time loop films done to death? Why's this one better than Groundhog day, death day, edge of tomorrow, 50 first dates etc etc.

Massive Spanner

Aren't time loop films done to death? Why's this one better than Groundhog day, death day, edge of tomorrow, 50 first dates etc etc.
Why does it have to be better? It's a different take on it than all of them anyway. I've seen all of the above and I didn't feel like this was copying any of them, it was doing its own take.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Why does it have to be better? It's a different take on it than all of them anyway. I've seen all of the above and I didn't feel like this was copying any of them, it was doing its own take.
So in this one the actor and actress don't get to know each other through the time loop, and end up together after exiting it?

SirAnderson

Where's it available?

It's doesn't take long to put the words palm springs in Google really.
I was head hunting vile torrent suppliers so didn't check to see it's original source.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really enjoyed it. Not as cliched as I expected it to be & a lot of fun.

Thought Samberg & Milioti were excellent together.

Bubz27

It's doesn't take long to put the words palm springs in Google really.
I was head hunting vile torrent suppliers so didn't check to see it's original source.
No it doesn't take long at all, either way really. It's just helpful isn't it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Funny and likeable, with a couple of fresh takes on the - at this point - well worn central idea. Quite excellent for 75 minutes.

A total cop out ending though, seemingly aimed at satisfying the expectations of an idiot audience. Otherwise it might have been favourably compared to Rod Serling and Bill Murray and Tom Cruise.

SirAnderson

Funny and likeable, with a couple of fresh takes on the - at this point - well worn central idea. Quite excellent for 75 minutes.

A total cop out ending though, seemingly aimed at satisfying the expectations of an idiot audience. Otherwise it might have been favourably compared to Rod Serling and Bill Murray and Tom Cruise.
What kind of ending where you hoping for?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
What kind of ending where you hoping for?
I would have liked an ending that didn't QM* up a palatable solution from nowhere, presumably for marketing convenience.

Groundhog Day: Code-cracking happy ending salve for bitter protag. Cheesy but works.
The Quiet Earth: Protag leaps to another plane isolated and confused. Bleak but works.
Twilight Zone: Shadow Play - Protag remains a despairing prisoner to the loop. Horrible but works.

As with the above, you can either write yourself a satisfying escape from the pickle - which requires imagination, or remain in the pickle and present the implications - which requires bollocks. Palm Springs cops out on both counts.

I'd still recommend the film though, it's good.

Quantum Magic

Last edited:

Zen

It was kinda okay, but other than a couple it’s nothing more than a modern reboot of Groundhog - and it’s hard to try and be it’s own thing comedy wise because Groundhog nailed a lot of stuff.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Found it quite enjoyable... But I'm not sure how much that's down to me being a huge fan of Andy Samberg.

Norris

I really loved it. Milioti was fantastic and well, Jake Peralta was awesome too..