Film Parasite (2019)

Munkehboi

It is a good film, no doubt however, 4 oscar worthy film it is not. It's also not Bong Joon-Ho's best work. 'Barking dogs never bite' in my opnion is worth a watch as is 'The Host'.

Other notable Korean movies that I rate higher than Parasite

The Wailing
Forgotten
Secret Sunshine
My sassy girl

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
To those who think it's not Oscar-worthy: have you seen the list of Best Picture winners? It's ridiculously bland: https://www.today.com/popculture/complete-list-every-best-picture-oscar-winner-ever-t107617

I actually think think Parasite is the best winner in a very long time. It's one the few times the Academy got it right, imo.
I personally love Moonlight and prefer it to Parasite, but overall yes best picture winners are pretty bland. Not necessarily bad films, but lukewarm choices.

OleBoiii

I personally love Moonlight and prefer it to Parasite, but overall yes best picture winners are pretty bland. Not necessarily bad films, but lukewarm choices.
Not a big fan of Moonlight, but I liked the cinematography.

I agree that no Oscar winner is bad. Lukewarm is a good description in general.

OleBoiii

Green Book was pretty fecking bad.
It was certainly lazy. Nothing new and interesting about it. But downright bad? As in: clearly worse than the average movie? Nah, I don't think so.

It had no business winning any sort of award, though.

thepolice123

To those who think it's not Oscar-worthy: have you seen the list of Best Picture winners? It's ridiculously bland: https://www.today.com/popculture/complete-list-every-best-picture-oscar-winner-ever-t107617

I actually think think Parasite is the best winner in a very long time. It's one the few times the Academy got it right, imo.
TBF I think this year's lineup is best we've seen in a long long time. The Oscars have generally been shite. Some of the choices for best picture are truly shocking.

ChrisNelson

Films are one of the most subjective topics which is a good thing.

One person's favourite film is another one's least favourite.

I think The Green Mile is the most boring film ever made and I would rather watch Liverpool lift the Premier League than watch it again. But lots of others rave about it.

I thought The Green Book was an outstanding film.

Similarly, the film supplement in mum's newspaper at the weekend gave Downhill a higher rating than The Invisible Man whereas I would say the latter is clearly many times better than the former.

And that's based on reviews by people who do it for a living!

Oscars, Golden Globes etc... are a strange thing because it's still only other people's opinions.

OleBoiii

Films are one of the most subjective topics which is a good thing.
To a certain degree... Some people might genuinely think that Tommy Wiseau is a good actor but is it wrong to say that he more or less objectively is not? It's an extreme example, but you get my point.

It's the same with most things in life: prior experience and "goals" will heavily affect your opinion. If you rarely see movies, then clichés will be less jarring. Editing and cinematography will hardly matter. Obvious plot twists and storylines may genuinely blow you away. You may even be able to look past one dimensional characters, cheesy dialogue and plot holes. For a cinephile though, none of the above is acceptable.

*sips red wine and smirks like a cnut*

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Finally got around to watching this but like a few others in the thread, I don't really understand the fuss. It was good - no more, no less.

I've seen three Korean movies in my life (the others being Snowpiercer and Castaway on the Moon) and thought this was the third best of them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brilliant, brilliant film. The cinematography, direction, the premise (went into it cold and found it fascinating) were all just on point. The second half ramps up but I enjoyed it throughout. I haven't seen some of the years best works but this was one of the most enjoyable movie experiences in a good while. Shits all over a formulaic film like Joker despite the hype the latter got.

Last edited:

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Very well made movie. But it doesn't really tells me anything new and there's not much or anything i can take away with me. If you know what i mean.

In other words, i just didn't feel touched by the overall experience.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Very well made movie. But it doesn't really tells me anything new and there's not much or anything i can take away with me. If you know what i mean.

In other words, i just didn't feel touched by the overall experience.
Snowpiercer was the same for me. I know that I've watched something, I know that it's been good, I know that I've been shocked, I know that I'll remember it. But now that it's finished I just feel...disturbed? I don't feel any other connection to what I've watched other than a general feeling of unease.

Sweet Square

Snowpiercer was the same for me. I know that I've watched something, I know that it's been good, I know that I've been shocked, I know that I'll remember it. But now that it's finished I just feel...disturbed? I don't feel any other connection to what I've watched other than a general feeling of unease.
Thats at least something, right ?

Snowpiercer is brilliant(Who doesn't love a film when old Maggie Thatcher gets one in the head)but it does lose something half way through when it turns into a more standard action hero movie. Also the film suffering from the fact the world is fecked from the very start, which makes it hard to end on a positive note.

Norris

I really liked it, went to a very unexpected turn at the very end, but it was nicely done. Doesn't leave me with a long-lasting impression for sure, but was a good watch.

amolbhatia50k

Interesting that the majority of posts from the time the film made a splash were full of praise whereas the post award posts portray viewers underwhelmed.

Anyhoo I thought it was fanatastic. One of those rare films that had me completely hooked and enthralled nearly throughout

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I thought it was an incredible movie too. Given the class/caste system in India, it definitely hits home for me. Only minor complaint would be that the final third lost some of the subtlety movie had curated before that. The overall "message" of the movie was somewhat spoon fed to the viewers at the end. I do believe it could have been kept more ambiguous to allow debate between people with different views.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I thought it was an incredible movie too. Given the class/caste system in India, it definitely hits home for me. Only minor complaint would be that the final third lost some of the subtlety movie had curated before that. The overall "message" of the movie was somewhat spoon fed to the viewers at the end. I do believe it could have been kept more ambiguous to allow debate between people with different views.
If you've not already seen it, you might like Burning then. Similar message, also made in South Korea, only much more ambiguous. It's great.

amolbhatia50k

That the second half could have been subtler is definitely true. And I imagine the ending will seem a bit too far fetched for many. But I think in terms of concept, execution, atmosphere and storytelling it was one of the best film experiences I've had in awhile. The dark humour, the commentary of class/status, and the freshness of it all, was really engaging.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
That the second half could have been subtler is definitely true. And I imagine the ending will seem a bit too far fetched for many. But I think in terms of concept, execution, atmosphere and storytelling it was one of the best film experiences I've had in awhile. The dark humour, the commentary of class/status, and the freshness of it all, was really engaging.
Given it was a Korean movie, the ending was not a surprise to me. Probably for that very reason they had to lose a bit of the subtlety.