Tue, 20 October 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    The team almost picks itself now assuming Henderson is our cup keeper...

-------------------------------------Henderson----------------------------------
    Williams--McTominay---Lindeloff--------Shaw-------Telles
    --------------------Pogba----------------------------Matic---------------------
    ---------------------------------------Bruno------------------------------------
    ---------------------Martial--------------------Rashford----------------------

BTW...I absolutely hate the 5-3-2, I just know that's how we are going to line up. I know some will want to call it a 3-5-2 but that's 5 defenders not 5 midfielders...

Gasolin

-------------------------------------Henderson----------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------Bruno------------------------------------

BTW...I absolutely hate the 5-3-2, I just know that's how we are going to line up. I know some will want to call it a 3-5-2 but that's 5 defenders not 5 midfielders...
    Since when do you put the cup keeper for a CL game... I think it's De Gea.

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    I
    Really hope we don't see some 3 at the back experiment with McTominay, that's a disaster waiting to happen. Not ideal circumstances but it has to be one of Fosu-Mensah or Tuanzebe, really.
    think that’s exactly what you’ll see. McT is playing right sided CB for Scotland and looking good. Hell of a test though

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    Mengi time? Tuanzebe is back in training too

Think we will see a back 3 with

--------McTominay--Lindelof---Shaw---------
    AWB----------Matic---Pogba--------Telles
    ------------------------Bruno------------------------
    -------------Martial--------Rashford----------

Think our defence is too weak and to get a result we'll need to score 2
    Agree with this and actually think it’ll work quite well.

Edit actually thinking about it I think the midfield will be a bit different

DDG

McTominay Lindelof Shaw

AWB Fred DvB Telles

Bruno

Martial Rashford​

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
    Supports
    4-4-2 classic
    Will there be no supporters then? Fans are in the stadiums in France now. I was wondering whether UEFA would adopt a blanket policy in the interest of fairness though.
    I don't know actually. I really hope there won't be any. It'll be weird if they allow supporters in certain countries but not in the other. Surely that would be unfair because it's the same competition.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Picks itself? Dont know about that mate

The only guaranteed starters imo are Rashford, Martial, Bruno and AWB, which you did not even include

Tony247

Against superior teams we must pack the midfield with single striker up front, then play counter with Bruno and/or VDB as false 9.

Start with fred and McT combo. They both have excellent understanding. Although both are average but their team game make them both difficult to break. Bench Pogba and bring him on as sub if required. Play VDB up front along side Bruno.

(Below is line up not formation)
    Henderson
    AWB Lindelof Shaw
    Mata McT Fred Telles
    Bruno VDB Rashford

Above lineup with fluid formation during the game depending on scenario.

PS: reason for Henderson instead of DDG : against good dribbler forwards we will need gk that can command the area. Staying back on the line can be suicidal. Hence henderson over DDG.

PS: bit more clarity on defense. The defense should work in triangles. In above line up when attacked on right AWB, McT and Lindelof should form triangle with Mata as mopper. When attacked middle McT Lindelof and Shaw should form triangle, with Fred as mopper. When attacked left, Shaw Telles and Fred should form triangle with McT as mopper. Hence no place for Pogba in this strategy.

(A mopper is additional defense hand who makes himself available to collect the ball in the melee between attack and defense and pass it to available midfielder, starts counter)

Last edited:

dal

I’m more worried about the Chelsea game then this.

———————DDG———————
    AWB——Lindelof—Shaw—Telles
    ——Fred—Matic—Mctominay—
    —Bruno—Martial—Rashford—

Hate 3-5-2 hence let’s try something we are a bit more familiar with.

Sorry Pogba but with Maguire out I need players I can trust, just hope McFred have the legs.

Martial will turn up here, I think he’ll bag a brace.

RashyForPM

Navas
    Florenzi-Marquinhos-Kimpembe-Bakker
    Rafinha-Gueye-Herrera
    Di Maria-Mbappé-Neymar
    As per @Ecstatic ’s post

vs

De Gea
    Axel Lindelof Shaw
    AWB McT Fred Telles
    Bruno
    Rashford Martial

I mean, we’re nowhere near them in terms of quality, but start well, have a go at them and counter well as we usually do and we could draw or even get a win. We’ll see though. Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Lindelof and De Gea will have to have the game of their lives as they make up the core of the team. The latter two especially as they’re up against Mbappe. With Neymar, there’s no RWB in the world I would select to defend against him over AWB, so I’m confident with that (watch him smash us!). Forget snake, let Telles leave one on him in the first minute Brazil-Argentina style and he’ll be sorted. He’s good of course, but weak. Other than that, Fred and McT have to show they are better than and deserve to replace Herrera.

Prediction: 1-3 United :drool:

A-man

Since when do you put the cup keeper for a CL game... I think it's De Gea.
    Normally you don’t, but now we have two keepers who are about equally good. Could be part of a deal that he will play the cups, like Real Madrid did a few years ago. That said, I think DDG will play.

dabeast

Henderson should play tonight. By having one goalkeeper all the time you just make them complacent and reduce the value of the reserve goalie. If you alternate both, they stay fresh and the transfer value of both is preserved.

Highfather_24

--------------------DDG
    ----------TFM--Lindelof--Shaw
    AWB-----McTom------Fred---Telles
    ---------------------Bruno
    -------------Rashford---Martial

We need 3 atb to deal with their front 3. Cannot have any slow players, and need a lot of energy in our midfield, so McTom and Fred are an ideal pairing with Bruno being the creative fulcrum. If we are a goal or two down we can bring in VdB from the bench. Martial and Rashford to stay high up running in behind, being ready for quick counters, with Telles and AWB providing width and defensive solidity.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
    Schalke 04
    Quite a special game this, imo. PSG might have some kind of hangover after losing the recent CL final in a quite, well, let's say unagitated way sort of. But does that hangover lead to some kind of hunger to redeem themselves? It's very interesting from a more neutral perspective, really. Both teams have a lot to prove. For Man Utd, a game like this can show the general direction in which everything will go - Ole vs. Tuchel, it'll be very interesting. While Tuchel is much more proven all around, Ole will want to show that he's able to compete with such a great tactical coach as Tuchel is. I'm kind of thrilled for tonight and hope Man Utd win for sure, although I expect a scrappy draw.

Edit:
    It's also interesting since it's the new elite vs. the former. Nobles vs. oil Parvenues, a real clash of cultures generally speaking.

bondsname

I hope PSG forgets their shooting boots at home. Neymar, Mbappe and Di Maria are going to find themselves in great positions no doubt about it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Fully expect Rashford to upstage all three of them now that it appears he's got his mojo back.
    I hope so, but I don't think Rashford at his best is better than Neymar or Mbappe :nervous:. Just have to hope Neymar gets frustrated and makes silly decision as the game goes on.

jamesjimmybyrondean

There's next to no pressure on Rashford compared to the other two, and we just need to wire into Neymar early to put him off his game, over to you Scott!
    Both Neymar and Mbappe know how to deal with pressure though. Add to the fact that they probably want revenge from last time

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
    Not as world class, on paper, as people make out besides that front 3. I think if we can keep them at bay hopefully with a back 5 and great games from AWB/Telles we’d snatch a win. Their front 3 have been known to go quiet too.

Mata has to start after Sunday as well, certainly over Pogba.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
    Besides their front 3, that's not as intimidating as one would think. I expect Ole to start TFM, as he's shown he trusts him in the past when we've had injuries.
    Hopefully with Rashford on form, and some good passers in midfield like Bruno, Pogba, VdB etc.. we can cause them some problems on the break. We just need a big game from the lads tonight.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am not 100 % sure what the right approach for this game is. On the one hand we showed that with players like Bruno, DvB, Pogba and Mata on the pitch we can circulate the ball really well. Based on their expected midfield we could get a bit of domination on the ball.
    On the other hand that could end really bad. So maybe it would make more sense to go for mobility and work rate to tire them and hit them on the break.
    In such a case I would think about James, Fred etc. as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    Both Neymar and Mbappe know how to deal with pressure though. Add to the fact that they probably want revenge from last time
    Neymar is literally the definition of being able to cope with pressure! I’m not sure how closely you have followed his career, but he’s had the weight of a nation on his shoulders since before his senior club debut and it hasn’t phased him one bit.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    I don't know actually. I really hope there won't be any. It'll be weird if they allow supporters in certain countries but not in the other. Surely that would be unfair because it's the same competition.
    This is my thinking, it won’t be fair, but I don’t know what will be decided tbh. It isn’t UEFA that have denied us to have fans at Old Trafford, it is our own government. That is also a decision that could change at any time. British government could decided by January, for example, to allow some fans back. It is likely that UEFA has just left it to the clubs to decide whether they let fans in or not.

That said, I wouldn’t be against it. I’m just keen to see us play in something like a normal environment, so some fans in the stadium tonight would be fine with me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw