Kick-off
Tue, 20 October 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

lenny_1248

But I can't remember any occasions when Shaw has played as the LCB in a back 3. I agree that he'd be well suited to the role, but I'm just not seeing any precedents the way McTominay has.
    He literally played there last season, a number of times. And was good.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
    Not even rude, it’s a genuine question.

How can someone support a club enough to have about 20k posts on their forum yet has missed 6 matches all against Liverpool, City, Chelsea, and Barcelona where Shaw played CB? And at the same time has seen 6 matches of McTominay playing at CB. (Of which 4 don’t actually exist and the other 2 were under Mourinho.).

cool story. Instead of trawling through my posts maybe watch the matches and see Shaw playing CB several times.

And no, McTominay didn’t start a single match at CB last season.

And it’s going poorly, I still have to put up with McTominay being bang average and us never winning anything because of it.
    I believe McTominay started a few matches for Scotland as CB recently, was a mixed bag from what I recall, but I'd say he certainly has the attributes to play in a back three.

youngrell

My worry about any of the options we have for a back 3 is not their ability but rather the lack of a leader/organiser. I guess Lindelof will have to pick up that mantle but not 100% sure he's capable of both concentrating on his own performances and guiding Shaw/TFM/Tuanzebe/McTominay successfully.

On top of that, someone may need to be helping out AWB positionally too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    On one hand, the front 3 against any of our defenders is horrifying. On the other hand, the rest of their 11 is so very mediocre. No passers, no creativity, no ball progression in midfield or defence. No idea who Bakker is though, and Florenzi I haven't seen much in recent years. But 3 ball winners in midfield who don't pass it well is good for us. Though at the same time its almost like they'll be set up to counter us.
    Long balls to Mbappe
    Neymar is the ball progressor in that side. He drops deep from the 10 or LW position and will attempt to dribble passed our midfield or play 1-2's and attack through the middle.

Di Maria is also more of a playmaker that stays wide on the right.

Depending if they play a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 Mbappe will either play LW or the striker.

Either way, it's a work man midfield that will struggle to create directly, but don't expect their front line to be starved as they're used to playing against deep lying defences.

if we can stop Neymar we can get a result.

Glorio

He literally played there last season, a number of times. And was good.
    Yeah when Williams was pushing him hard at LB, Shaw started playing as a LCB. He was brilliant to be fair - felt it suited him

SATA

Why not AWB and Shaw either side of Lindelof with Telles on the left and Brandon Williams on the right? Axel is great but this may have come too soon for him. Not nice to see Mbappe and Neymar running at him after several months out

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
    This will be the start of a great season for us by blowing out PSG and making them look like they squandered a huge chance to win the CL before this season. In January Mbappe will sign for us as a result and we never look back. Gameplan just involves letting Neymar run into Pogba.

Machine Elements

I know he's out of favour but still why didn't Rojo travel when we have a crisis in CB? Is he injured or is playing McTominay in defence is better than playing him?

Nani Nana

Supports
    Whoever won the game
    PSG are definitely the better side here.

PSG 70% - draw 20% - MUFC 10%

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    Just hope we put in a good performance, no matter who starts or what the result is. Not expecting much from the toughest away game in the group, but I hope we create some chances, too.

Water Melon

Tough fixture, expect PSG to beat us fairly easily, unfortunately. What a time to be alive :(

jesperjaap

I believe McTominay started a few matches for Scotland as CB recently, was a mixed bag from what I recall, but I'd say he certainly has the attributes to play in a back three.
    Well the Scotland game I watched where he played there, he was absolutely atrocious...like a shit version of Lindelof!

RedDevil-85

Think PSG will be beat us quite easily.
    Cant expect much with a 2nd rate defence against Mbappe,Di Maria and Neymar.

Hopefully we give them a game and create some problems for them , but i think they will win this one and we will win our home game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    My worry about any of the options we have for a back 3 is not their ability but rather the lack of a leader/organiser. I guess Lindelof will have to pick up that mantle but not 100% sure he's capable of both concentrating on his own performances and guiding Shaw/TFM/Tuanzebe/McTominay successfully.

On top of that, someone may need to be helping out AWB positionally too.
    This leadership thing is a bit overstated imo.
    Everyone should take responsibility in performances. Senior players should lead by example and younger players should not be afraid of taking on responsibility. It’s about the character within the team as a unit.

yamo123x

The rare occasion Maguire is out and we want our squad centre backs to step in, Jones injured, Bailly injured---- absolute joke.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
    Well the Scotland game I watched where he played there, he was absolutely atrocious...like a shit version of Lindelof!
    :lol: :lol:
    Like I said, a mixed bag, he's only played a couple, one was decent, the other poor.

R77

Injuries and new players not being integrated obv. means things are far from ideal going into this. I think there's already been so much craptitude that they'll all be well up for this though. A loss will sting but not be the end of the world, all things considered. What we have to do is give a good account of ourselves, no individual brainfarts.

Pretty excited tbf.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    Nil Nil written all over this one. Feel free to quote this post as the evening progresses.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
    —————Rashford————Martial———————
    ———————————Bruno———————————
    ——————Pogba————-McT—————————
    Telles——Shaw—-Lindelof—-Tuanzebe—-AWB
    ———————————-DDG———————————-

JPB

A makeshift defence with fecking Lindelof, as our main Centre Back against PSG. We're fecking doomed. I feel sick just thinking about it.

USREDEVIL

—————Rashford————Martial———————
    ———————————Bruno———————————
    ——————Pogba————-McT—————————
    Telles——Shaw—-Lindelof—-Tuanzebe—-AWB
    ———————————-DDG———————————-
    Probably what we'll see considering. Hopefully McT has a better showing than what we've seen recently. Think Fred might be better but doesn't have as much physicality.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw