Tue, 20 October 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    One for the “one of those weird feelings in football”: Marco Verratti is ‘injured’ for every big CL game in his career

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    Never a fan of setting up like this not gonna lie. United are not a team who should ever surrender 75% possession.

I know Ole is a defensive coach & likes to soak up pressure & counter, so I get it, it just doesn’t sit well with me.

K_Ash

So Ole must do what is in the best Interest of Pogba, and not what he believes is right for the team?
    Pogba has made his bed. The humiliation is of his own making.
    You are under the impression the success against Newcastle was due to Fred and McT in the midfield ? and not Paul and VdB

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    Would be nice to have Cavani, Greenwood, Pogba and DVB as options off the bench.

Maybe we do have some depth (when everyone is available)

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    Not sure why so many people are so surprised about the line-up. My big question marks were whether we'd play De Gea/Henderson and Tuanzebe/TFM (unfortunately I went the wrong way for both in the tipping), but the rest of the team I was fairly confident about. Fred and McTominay were always likely to start to give us the legs in midfield.

So far there's been nothing to indicate Ole sees VDB as an option in central midfield, and it was always unlikely he'd take that chance for the first time in this match.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
    I like this team. We will win 3-1

gorky_utd

Big game for mctominay and Fred. Stay in the game then we can bring Pogba, vdb from the bench. Will possibly shift to a back four if we keep the game close until 60 min.

Reactions: Fortitude

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Feels like a big night for Martial, yet to score this season, obviously missing a few domestic games, back in France, hopefully he does a Lukaku (and no not in that way)

dalriada

Given the pace of Mbappe I think Maguire might have been a bit of a liability tonight, Tuanzebe might be the best equipped to deal with him of all our defenders.

Glad Pogba wasn't dropped on Saturday to be kept in reserve for tonight, really disappointed no VdB though, what does he have to do to get a start?
    I can see why everyone's eager to see a new player like Donny start, but I think Ole's waiting for the right match for him and I don't think we should be over-anxious because he hasn't had a start yet.

I can also see why he wouldn't start him against PSG - he may come on as a sub, I think, depending how the game goes.

Having said all that, I would have liked him to start against Newcastle, despite it being a "must win" game rather than one for experiments, but it's the manager's call at the end of the day, and I don't agree with the suggestions I've seen that it's a sort of protest by Ole because he hasn't got his target players in the transfer window.

Oldyella

Not too bothered about Pogba on the bench. Herrera would be on his toes all game IMO.

Thought VDB May have got a start though.
    Would be fine with that, as now he will be on Bruno's toes instead. Think VDB has earnt a start though.

bludsucker

I think that's a big mistake unless he is cleary unfit. It is Paris. He is the Leader of the National team. You must start him or risk to lose him mentally for good
    Well considering that him being there mentally hasn’t helped improve his game one bit, I say it’s time he sat on the bench. That’s where he deserves to be based on his performances after the restart.

K_Ash

Florenzi, Diallo, Kimpembe (c), Kurzawa - Herrera, Pereira, Gueye : with a back 5, no reason to go with Fred and Mctom against those 7 guys. Paul should have been in there.

UDontMessWith24

We've really crapped the bed haven't we? Look at that side PSG have put out! And we're going super conservative with Fred and McTominay? That is a PSG team we can take the fecking game to!
    1. Di Maria will have have a free roaming playmaker role so he’ll add creativity to the midfield at times.
    2.Stop acting like their midfield three are all David Meyler
    3. They still have Neymar and Mbappe up front.
    4. Get a clue

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    I think we could actually win with that lineup.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Given the midfield they've got I'm not convinced they'll have 75% possession.
    Urgh. Looking at their team they are there to be got at. Disappointed in Ole’s ambition here. Would’ve rather seen 4-3-3 with one of Pogba or VDB starting.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Big game for mctominay and Fred. Stay in the game then we can bring Pogba, vdb from the bench. Will possibly shift to a back four if we keep the game close until 60 min.
    I think this is exactly Ole’s best plan for the game.

Achilles McCool

Not starting Pogba in a game like this using a back 5 is a fireable offense. He is the leader of the National team. At Newcastle things got unlocked with Paul and VdB, not Fred&McTom...Big mistake. You have just lowered his value big time on the market.
    You don’t think Pogba has any blame for his “lowered” value?:houllier:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    Never a fan of setting up like this not gonna lie. United are not a team who should ever surrender 75% possession.

I know Ole is a defensive coach & likes to soak up pressure & counter, so I get it, it just doesn’t sit well with me.
    Agreed, we've sort of accepted that we are going to get battered with this system but just up to us picking scraps on counters and hoping for the best.

CG1010

We've really crapped the bed haven't we? Look at that side PSG have put out! And we're going super conservative with Fred and McTominay? That is a PSG team we can take the fecking game to!
    Not enough negativity need more of this.. we never do well when match day threads are this positive

stu_1992

Unsurprising to see them move to a back 5 considering the injuries. Big call to leave Pogba out for a big game in France. If he wasn't up for this one, what would he be up for? I think Van De Beek can feel harshly done by to not start again.

Huge game for Telles to be making his debut. Hope it goes well for him. Subjecting myself to the French by watching this on a bar here as opposed to just at home.

bludsucker

If he's told he's starting against Chelsea then it's a bit premature to say this.
    Don’t think vdb is starting against Chelsea. Him and Bruno are too similar in the sense that both attempt risky passes and lose possession quite regularly.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Wow That's exciting lineup, have to admit.
    You’re entitled to your opinion, so I’m not gonna call you wrong, I am going to ask though - what is exciting about playing 5 defenders & 2 defensive midfielders? We are clearly setting up to keep them out & play long balls to the forwards. United playing like a small club doesn’t scream exciting to me. Just shows how far we’ve fallen.

Devil may care

I thought McTominay would be in the back 3 and Matic in midfield for his experience but I like the line-up, all for Axel getting a chance.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Agreed, we've sort of accepted that we are going to get battered with this system but just up to us picking scraps on counters and hoping for the best.
    Looking at their midfield I think Ole may have misread this. We could have competed with them. Going ultra defensive seems like a cowardly move to me. They really aren’t all that. Way too much respect shown to average players like Herrera, Guaye & Pereira

You’re entitled to your opinion, so I’m not gonna call you wrong, I am going to ask though - what is exciting about playing 5 defenders & 2 defensive midfielders? We are clearly setting up to keep them out & play long balls to the forwards. United playing like a small club doesn’t scream exciting to me. Just shows how far we’ve fallen.
    get a grip. Doesn’t matter what The line up is. You would be complaining. It’s literally all you do.

Gandalf

Seems to be a lot of overreaction to VDB on the bench. Given the formation he doesn't have an obvious role, McTom and Fred are being picked as a unit and he can't really argue he should be in the side ahead of Bruno at this point. He might well prove to be good in a midfield pivot behind Bruno but McTom and Fred have a track record from last year of functioning well together and this is not the game to experiment. I fully expect VDB to start a lot of games this year against teams we are expected to dominate, his movement and creativity will be critical for breaking down the likes of Burnley. The idea that only being on the bench after 1 month is indicative of Ole not wanting him is laughable hysteria.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Looking at their midfield I think Ole may have misread this. We could have competed with them. Going ultra defensive seems like a cowardly move to me. They really aren’t all that.
    The only player I would've preferred would've been Van de Beek in for Fred or McTominay... but understandable either way. Pogba doesn't make us balanced. Nothing cowardly about the lineup IMO. Telles will bomb forward, the midfield will run all day and we have a great front 3.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw