PARK-A true unsung hero

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's not going. Not ITK or anything, just would make no sense whatsoever.
Why not? He's not had a good season and he's not getting any younger. I can't really see where he's going to feature in our future plans, so why wouldn't we consider selling him?

Ash_G

What role can he play now, particularly if we do sign another attacker? He's not a midfielder and the only way he would be playing out wide is if we have mass injuries. Makes more sense to let him go, as he can get regular football for himself and we can free up some wages and a spot in the 25 man squad. He's been an important player for us now but he's really not needed anymore imo.

MUFCgal

I disagree. I love Park, I think he's been a great servant to us and he's always been very professional but I think he's coming to the end of his time here. If we get a decent enough offer from another club, he could and should be moved on IMO.

If we're going for the likes of Hazard and Kagawa, then I see no room for Park here.

Rossa

I disagree. I love Park, I think he's been a great servant to us and he's always been very professional but I think he's coming to the end of his time here. If we get a decent enough offer from another club, he could and should be moved on IMO.

If we're going for the likes of Hazard and Kagawa, then I see no room for Park here.
Sadly, I think you are spot on here! Park has been extremely loyal and a terrific guy it seems. But, he just doesn't have the legs anymore. He's lost some pace and seems to be just that split second too late for everything, and it is quite annoying.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Oh come on, it makes no sense to move on a squad player who'll be 32 next season and seems to have already lost the best aspect of his game, his third lung. :D

As last summer showed us with O'Shea, if there time is up, there time is up.
Yep. There was a time you could keep players on when past their best, but you can't really get away with that since the 25 man squad rules have been in place.

We lose every game that he plays in centre midfield, and he's no longer used out wide as he's slow as christmas. Nice enough lad, been a great servant etc, but no longer needed.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He was utterly, utterly terrible this season. All of his faults seemed to grow and all of his strengths seemed to disappear.

If we can get any decent fee for him which could help us improve the squad, Fergie has to turn a blind eye to loyalty and do it.

That said, am I the only cynical one that can't see him being sold til after the summer tour?

davisjw

Don't see Park moving. He had a poor season, most of our players have. His experience and skills are still useful. He's not on high wages and he's not one to complain so he's happy on the bench.

A couple more years and he qualifies for a testimonial :devil:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yep. There was a time you could keep players on when past their best, but you can't really get away with that since the 25 man squad rules have been in place.

We lose every game that he plays in centre midfield, and he's no longer used out wide as he's slow as christmas. Nice enough lad, been a great servant etc, but no longer needed.
The majority of teams in the league don't even fill up the 25 spots. It's not really that big of a deal.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
The majority of teams in the league don't even fill up the 25 spots. It's not really that big of a deal.
It is if you want a squad to try and compete on about 4 different fronts, as United want to do every season. You're always going to have a few over 21s to be newly registered each season (De gea, Welbeck, Rafael etc), and with the need to add reinforcements in midfield, its not rocket science that a player in decline towards the tail end of his career will be most at risk of being offloaded (Park). You only have to look at what happened last season with O'Shea and Brown.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Don't see Park moving. He had a poor season, most of our players have. His experience and skills are still useful. He's not on high wages and he's not one to complain so he's happy on the bench.

I agree. If he's happy to stay and feels he can get his form back next year then he deserves the chance to prove himself

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The types of players we're being linked with if we pull one of them off then I can easily see Park leaving. Of course I can see Fergie also keeping him around as well.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He had a poor season.

BUT you can't barely play a player then throw him in. Park also played with some disjointed teams with players lacking fitness and playing out of position.

Park should play on the wing in big games and help the fullback. He has done this well so many times.

You lot are unloyal feckers who are hypocrites of the highest order as you expect loyalty from players but don't give any loyalty after a poor season.

feck off.

Marcus

He had a poor season.

BUT you can't barely play a player then throw him in. Park also played with some disjointed teams with players lacking fitness and playing out of position.

Park should play on the wing in big games and help the fullback. He has done this well so many times.

You lot are unloyal feckers who are hypocrites of the highest order as you expect loyalty from players but don't give any loyalty after a poor season.

feck off.
I agree with this. The thing with Park is that he has a good touch and an eye for goal. He also covers Evra well for games where his attacking instincts are needed more than his defensive ones. He may not be the quickest but he has never been. But he never gives up. That is what we need in a team which seems to have lost the art of closing off games.

gza the genius

I agree with this. The thing with Park is that he has a good touch and an eye for goal. He also covers Evra well for games where his attacking instincts are needed more than his defensive ones. He may not be the quickest but he has never been. But he never gives up. That is what we need in a team which seems to have lost the art of closing off games.
He had those things, not anymore. Now days he's mostly good for wandering around pointlessly and falling over at the slightest of touches. I love Park but I just can't see him having and sort of positive impact for us next year and we need to make room for better players in the squad.

reddevilcanada

I think Park can still be a useful squad player. He's not that old to be written off, and many players have had slumps in their careers specially when playing in unfamiliar positions, systems and playing personnel. I think he can still contribute positively for another year or two.

Varun

Staff
He had a poor season.

feck off.
thing is, even if he stays, he's only going to get an odd game here and there. we already have 3 wingers in the squad and if a Kagawa comes in, that makes it 4. There's no way Park's going to get enough games to keep him match sharp which is what was clearly lacking this season.

So, my point is, if he's only going to get the odd game in the league and its mostly going to be Cup games and such, why not develop a young player there rather than a 32yr old?

It isnt about loyalty either, its whats best for both parties. Specially with the 25 man squad.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think it's time we sorted the midfield out personally. Get a couple of good natural back-ups and play Park in a floating role whenever we need him.

If he wants to finish his career at United I think he well and truly deserves to but his athleticism is clearly waning. It's evident in this season. I have no problems with him being a utility across the midfield but definitely not first choice for big games or on form.

Art

Art the artist
He had a poor season.

BUT you can't barely play a player then throw him in.
Umm..yes we can which is why he is called a squad player mate. Berba was a squad player this season and was brilliant. Park on the other hand has been rubbish.

Park also played with some disjointed teams with players lacking fitness and playing out of position.
What are you even trying to say here?

Park 'should' play on the wing? Mate, that is not going to happen anymore because we have Nani, young and Valencia who are much much better than Park on the wings. There is no need to accommodate Park specifically on the wing just so you can show people he has still got in him.

feck off.
You do realise what a shit post this has been on your account don't you? No-one over here has discredited what Park has done for Manchester United. He will always be remembered for his swashbuckling performances against the biggies. But lets call a spade a fecking spade eh? Park is not getting any younger and by the looks of it is past his prime. This is not some feel good retirement home mate. This is Manchester United football club. The club has always treated players with the utmost respect they deserve but winning trophies is of prime importance here, winning is something that is steeped in the very core of the club. If this club was built to keep players happy, it would've been totally different today. Park has in no way cost us the title but we do have new recruits coming in this season and cannot afford to play Park in CM anymore like we did this season. Park himself said something on the lines of " I would like to retire at Manchester United but whether the club would need me here or not is another issue". I'm sure he is a good analyst of his present ability and will always work on the best interest of the club, which is what everyone else on the thread has been focused on. So get a fecking grip.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's done for me, we had him in the team for his engine, he'd hustle all day long and be a part of our lighting counter attacks. Sadly that pace has gone and his engine isn't what it used to be. He just doesn't have the technical ability or the footballing brain to adapt. There's no way he should ever play in the middle for us again and who is he going to get on the wing ahead of? Fantastic servant of the club and will probably and sadly not be remembered as good as he actually was.

Cina

thing is, even if he stays, he's only going to get an odd game here and there. we already have 3 wingers in the squad and if a Kagawa comes in, that makes it 4. There's no way Park's going to get enough games to keep him match sharp which is what was clearly lacking this season.

So, my point is, if he's only going to get the odd game in the league and its mostly going to be Cup games and such, why not develop a young player there rather than a 32yr old?

It isnt about loyalty either, its whats best for both parties. Specially with the 25 man squad.
No it doesn't.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I have to agree with Art here. Yes, he has been thrown in and out of the team, but that's his job at the end of the day. He may be a natural winger, but of course he won't be getting any games there. He was a decent winger because of his workrate and effort in tracking back; not because of his ability. Now that his engine is going though, he really won't have anything more to offer for us at the highest level.

Some may find it disloyal, but football can be a brutal business at times. You cannot afford to hang onto players for too long due to sentimentality. In fact, I think we're being kinder to him if we sell him during the summer, because it means he'll actually get to play football next season, as opposed to simply staying here and sitting in the reserves. Look at what happened to Berbatov. A lot felt that he was a waste this season and that if we weren't going to play him, then he should have just been moved on. I think that it's the same for Park really. He's been a good servant, but he won't feature, so why keep him hanging around? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm always right

You do realise what a shit post this has been on your account don't you? No-one over here has discredited what Park has done for Manchester United. He will always be remembered for his swashbuckling performances against the biggies. But lets call a spade a fecking spade eh? Park is not getting any younger and by the looks of it is past his prime. This is not some feel good retirement home mate. This is Manchester United football club. The club has always treated players with the utmost respect they deserve but winning trophies is of prime importance here, winning is something that is steeped in the very core of the club. If this club was built to keep players happy, it would've been totally different today. Park has in no way cost us the title but we do have new recruits coming in this season and cannot afford to play Park in CM anymore like we did this season. Park himself said something on the lines of " I would like to retire at Manchester United but whether the club would need me here or not is another issue". I'm sure he is a good analyst of his present ability and will always work on the best interest of the club, which is what everyone else on the thread has been focused on. So get a fecking grip.
Excellent port.

roseguy64

Really? News to me.

SirAF

Ageist
Park at a korean tv show - was asked about his favorite girls pop group (Girls Generation) and when pressed he named Yoona as his favorite girl.

"Yoona, I'm on vacation. do you have time?"

:drool: :lol:

Unam333

Park at a korean tv show - was asked about his favorite girls pop group (Girls Generation) and when pressed he named Yoona as his favorite girl.

"Yoona, I'm on vacation. do you have time?"

:drool: :lol:
Park :lol: Boss!

YoonA, you better go out with our Park now :mad:

davisjw

I hope United is smart enough to offer him and Evra a talk show when they retire.

Adebesi

I have to agree with Art here. Yes, he has been thrown in and out of the team, but that's his job at the end of the day. He may be a natural winger, but of course he won't be getting any games there. He was a decent winger because of his workrate and effort in tracking back; not because of his ability. Now that his engine is going though, he really won't have anything more to offer for us at the highest level.

Some may find it disloyal, but football can be a brutal business at times. You cannot afford to hang onto players for too long due to sentimentality. In fact, I think we're being kinder to him if we sell him during the summer, because it means he'll actually get to play football next season, as opposed to simply staying here and sitting in the reserves. Look at what happened to Berbatov. A lot felt that he was a waste this season and that if we weren't going to play him, then he should have just been moved on. I think that it's the same for Park really. He's been a good servant, but he won't feature, so why keep him hanging around? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I think on balance I agree with this, or most of it - certainly the sentiment of it. I have been a big fan of Park's over the years and defended him many times against those that have questioned his ability of the sense of him being a United player. Great attitude, great ability, I remember some years ago he used to really bring out the best in others, especially Rooney, with his workrate and his unselfish style of play.

Somehow the Berbs comparison doesnt feel quite appropriate for me. Berbs is a player of enormous individual skill and brilliance. Somehow him languishing in the reserves feels wrong in a way that with Park just doesnt. A player like Berbs needs to play, it is almost a crime against football to have him sitting on the bench (or in the stands) when he could be doing so much for another team. A player like him needs to be watched and appreciated. Like buying a work of art and then stashing it in a vault for safe keeping, when it needs to be on a wall and admired.

Park is a workhorse, a battler and a trier. If Berbs is a work of art, to keep with the investment analogy, Park is a Gilt: not the sexiest investment ever, not likely to make you rich and certainly not something you are going to put up on the wall. But an integral part of a sensible investment strategy nonetheless. Dependable and safe. Not that he doesnt have ability, but Park is ultimately the archetypal squad player. As long as he features in SAF's plans to some extent and will get occasional games, either by tactical choice or as emergency backup in times of injury crisis, I see no reason not to keep him IF he is satisfied with that role.

I guess that is what it comes down to. If like Berbs he would rather play then I would send him off and wish him well. I cant see his chances as being plentiful in the coming season. But if he is content with a position on the squad fringes I would trust him in that role more than most because of his work ethic and general attitude, as well as his ability. Players on the very fringes of the squad are always going to be inferior to the first XI, by definition. So it is no problem that he is in decline. He still has enough left to do a job I reckon, if he is used sensibly, in roles he is suited to.

Andrew~

Jesus. You guys are way too keen to trot out player stereotypes. Park has never been just a work-horse. He has a good passing range, makes intelligent runs, a decent finish for a midfielder which allows him to score important goals and incredible tactical awareness. Yes, his work-rate is also impressive, but has never been his only quality.

Just because he doesn't do flicks and tricks doesn't turn him into the Korean Milner.