Park Ji-Sung asks United fans to stop singing his chant

First Lukaku's massive penis and now this. Whatever next? Probably won't be able to sing about Vidic/Matic murdering people or some woke nonsense ;)
It’s funny how for The lukaku one none black people were the first to take offence to it but then you have this one which been going on for years and the media never really highlighted it maybe if it was “ they make better tech than us in South Korea” then the middle aged white journalist would have been appalled by it from the day it was first sang.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Good change. Replace eat dogs with drink frogs. More accurate and job done.
it’s the rats i feel sorry for. no one is coming out and saying how they may live in sewers and feast on shit but they’d never be caught dead in liverpool.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Our chants are largely pretty shit or unoriginal. Vidic was bothered by 'he comes from Serbia, he's gonna murder ya', Park by this dog meat stuff, Lukaku by the penis song, Wenger got a chant saying he is a pedo, then the 'Viva Ronaldo' and 'Oh Robin van Persie' are just plain boring.

The Martial chant is probbaly the best of the lot in recent years.
Immediately thought of the brilliant Giggs-Joy Division chant only to realize that it’s completely spoilt now :(

Skills

Snitch
I tried to blank that out and now can’t remember it :D

Tbf most football chants are shit, it’s not unique to us, ours just seem disproportionately disliked by the players who got sung about.
True, I get what you mean by the boring chants as well. You'd want your chants to be uplifting and energetic, and quite a few of our popular ensembles are just a massive groan. Mourinho chant was genuinely one of the worst - just sucked the energy out of me just listening to that shit.

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
I never said that. Of course stop singing it as he asked. But people are wrong saying that it is racist or xenophobic, that is totally different to stereotypes, especially if people are known to do the stereotype.
We need to look at the bigger picture here, Asian people suffer a lot because of racism ever since COVID-19 and we all know that eating dog meat is a taboo basically everywhere in the world.
You really can’t compare it with English people drinking tea.

Barthez

It’s just banter. Nobody actually means any harm or disrespect with it.

GueRed

I've never sung it.

It's a RACIST song.

what a way to honour our player...

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Racist or not, xenophobic or not, its tasteless and offends jsp. It should stop.

Houdini

Horrible chant. Very disrespectful and racist. Also shows the lack of knowledge about asian culture. Everybode knows that dogs are eaten in China not South Korea.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Fair enough. It's one I enjoyed back in the day as a kid but if Ji considers it crass and discomforting I'd happily stop. The council house stuff is also off the mark really, as last I checked there were one or two council houses in the Manchester area.
Aye, couldn't agree more. It has good associations obviously as it was such a great time to be a supporter, but the whole chant is distasteful as feck if we're honest. On the bolded part, that aspect never sat at all well with me either. Just a strange thing for fans of a 'working class sport' to use as a pejorative.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I mean, technically dog meat is still eaten in South Korea, hence why their president is trying to bring about a ban on the practice.

But it is a negative stereotype which ought not to be drawn upon so publicly for a laugh.

The Scouse-rat part you can get away with because it's so obviously nonsense.

redMundo

But………isn’t it a traditional practice in Korea to eat dog meat?

So how can it be offensive to state a fact?

I’m genuinely confused so by all means please educate me on why this is offensive/wrong to sing

Eriku

I’ve always thought it to be funny, but obviously it’s problematic.

Park, who we supposedly honour with this song (I’m assuming it’s not JUST a vehicle for shitting on Scousers), coming out and asking for it to stop should be the end of it. Somehow I’m not expecting that to be the case though :/

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Horrible chant. Very disrespectful and racist. Also shows the lack of knowledge about asian culture. Everybode knows that dogs are eaten in China not South Korea.
They're eaten all over the world, but not exclusively to China in South-East Asia. Vietnam - particularly in the North - eats dog, and you will see it very publicly, as well as in Korea where there is a long tradition of the practice that is still carried out today.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Probably will get backlash from my comment, but 1 million dogs are eaten in South Korea every year.

It's not racist or xenophobic, it's a tasteless stereotype, saying that all Koreans eat dog. It's really no different to the stereotype that all English people drink tea or all Scottish people eat Haggis.
It's a lot more emotive than that in fairness, and attitudes have shifted quite dramatically over there about eating dogs:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...elfare-attitudes-humane-society-b1426120.html

Withnail

Fair enough. It's one I enjoyed back in the day as a kid but if Ji considers it crass and discomforting I'd happily stop. The council house stuff is also off the mark really, as last I checked there were one or two council houses in the Manchester area.
Yeah, it's in poor taste from start to finish.

Jericho

How is it racist? Anyway, doesn’t that chant say scousers eat rats? Would think they should be more offended since dog actually is eaten in Korea.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
But………isn’t it a traditional practice in Korea to eat dog meat?

So how can it be offensive to state a fact?

I’m genuinely confused so by all means please educate me on why this is offensive/wrong to sing
It's not "offensive" in the way more obvious racial/xenophobic remarks are - it's just clearly a national image which causes embarrassment to the more cosmopolitan/international sections of the country.

That Park has made these comments a few days after South Korea's President has tried to bring a stop to the act is probably no surprise.

David Bartley

Some had a meltdown in another thread when it was suggested how distasteful this chant is. Claiming that all we will be allowed to sing is “nursery rhymes”.
Hopefully this will wake them up.
Let's hope so. If Park - unsurprisingly - finds the chant offensive that's good enough for me. And in any case we're trying to pay tribute to a great United player, not insult his friends and family.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Let's hope so. If Park - unsurprisingly - finds the chant offensive that's good enough for me. And in any case we're trying to pay tribute to a great United player, not insult his friends and family.
Exactly. Can remember Vidic having a similar issue with his chant.

If the person you're supposedly honouring doesn't like the way you're doing, just change it up.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The only appropriate response to this is:

Yes of course we will stop. No discussion, no moaning, just stop. Respect the mans wishes.

largelyworried

Always felt like an uncomfortable one and after the first few months I stopped joining in, even way back when. No problem with stopping.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You have just shown that same lack of knowledge as an estimated 1 million dogs are slaughtered every year in South Korea for human consumption.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's not just the fact that there are Koreans who eat dogs there making a chant about it is ok. Whenever someone is called a dog eater, it's never with nice intentions to say the very least so it's understandable with JSP would want the chant to stop

kps88

The chant was always weird to me as it doesn't even have anything remotely positive to say about Park.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Surprised it’s taken this long. The worst thing about it is it’s not really about him. On top of being disrespectful to his homeland, it’s basically just another dig at scousers.

I mean, no one’s going to bother to come up with a new one for him in 2021, are they?