Park Ji-Sung asks United fans to stop singing his chant

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Does the chant actually do that? We say its better that a banquet of rats in Liverpool.
It kinda does when it says 'it could be worse, you could be... eating rats' which suggests to me it doesn't appreciate the act of dog eating, hence being something like an aversion.

However it's also a bit weird because the practice is seemingly looked down on in Korean society and there's an attempt to get it banned by law...

I guess the biggest problem is that it's accusing Park himself of eating dogs whenever he goes back home, which we don't know for sureif he ever has (did anybody stop to ask the man?!)

Personally I'd say Korea is a bit ashamed of the practice and this is a non-culturally nice reminder, hence why he wants it stopped, which I think is fair enough.

The Bloody-Nine

Park, Park wherever you may be,
In your country you eat kimchi,
Could be worse, could be Scouse,
Eating rats in your council house.

Sanitised, job done!
We've done it, bud. We've made a difference. It was mostly you, but I feel we should split the credit 60/40 in my favour.

Winrar

If he asks to stop the chant then that's the end of discussion no matter how you feel about that specific chant or current environment of political correctness.

Adcuth

It kinda does when it says 'it could be worse, you could be... eating rats' which suggests to me it doesn't appreciate the act of dog eating, hence being something like an aversion.

However it's also a bit weird because the practice is seemingly looked down on in Korean society and there's an attempt to get it banned by law...

I guess the biggest problem is that it's accusing Park himself of eating dogs whenever he goes back home, which we don't know for sureif he ever has (did anybody stop to ask the man?!)

Personally I'd say Korea is a bit ashamed of the practice and this is a non-culturally nice reminder, hence why he wants it stopped, which I think is fair enough.
I think we need to find out whether rat actually tastes worse than dog. To prevent any further issues.

OleBoiii

There's a long list of reasons for why the chant sucks:

Racism:
Reducing an Asian culture into a bunch of dog-eaters, even though it's pretty niche. It's especially bad when you know that eating dogs is frowned upon, so it also comes off as an insult, regardless of your intentions.

Hypocrisy:
The notion that eating dogs somehow is especially disgusting, even though pigs are more intelligent and make great pets as well. I doubt the average football fan gleefully singing this chant don't eat pork.

Classism:
Why rip on council houses? Just why?

The chant doesn't even honor Park:
The chant is mainly mocking Liverpool. As a player chant it's essentially useless.

TLDR; the chant can feck right off.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
There's a long list of reasons for why the chant sucks:

Racism:
Reducing an Asian culture into a bunch of dog-eaters, even though it's pretty niche. It's especially bad when you know that eating dogs is frowned upon, so it also comes off as an insult, regardless of your intentions.

Hypocrisy:
The notion that eating dogs somehow is especially disgusting, even though pigs are more intelligent and make great pets as well. I doubt the average football fan gleefully singing this chant don't eat pork.

Classism:
Why rip on council houses? Just why?

The chant doesn't even honor Park:
The chant is mainly mocking Liverpool. As a player chant it's essentially useless.

TLDR; the chant can feck right off.
You're kinda right. It's a terrible chant

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably shouldn't haven taken Ji to say to stop it... but now Ji has said stop, it should stop.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Probably will get backlash from my comment, but 1 million dogs are eaten in South Korea every year.

It's not racist or xenophobic, it's a tasteless stereotype, saying that all Koreans eat dog. It's really no different to the stereotype that all English people drink tea or all Scottish people eat Haggis.
It's a stereotype as you said. Park doesn’t want it NOW as the stiuation is different. If he doesn’t want it because some people will be offended then I'm gonna respect his wishes.

Not gonna pretend Park himself suddenly got a change of heart about that after roughly 15 years, though.

freeurmind

weak willed
So we know we'll get a rendition of this during the next match, followed by We sing what we want and then hopefully the song is never heard again or the line will be changed.

On an unrelated note, wouldn't we all take a prime Park in our midfield right now.

Adcuth

Isn't there 1.5 million dogs eaten in Korea every year?
China has the dog meat festival though doesn't it? Maybe we should get a player from the Faroe Islands. Sure we could put a decent whale murdering chant together for him.

RC89

One of the best chants but truth be told, it is very racielst and should be stopped. And how can you refuse Ji?

Maccaa

Our chants are largely pretty shit or unoriginal. Vidic was bothered by 'he comes from Serbia, he's gonna murder ya', Park by this dog meat stuff, Lukaku by the penis song, Wenger got a chant saying he is a pedo, then the 'Viva Ronaldo' and 'Oh Robin van Persie' are just plain boring.

The Martial chant is probbaly the best of the lot in recent years.
Are you serious? We have one of the best song books in the world..
P.s, falling away from the actual debate it definitely is a bit racist.. If Paek doesn’t want it sung then so be it! Let’s make a new one up for him cause he deserves it

Last edited:

Ixion

If the man himself doesn't want it to be sung then it shouldn't be.

And really if you imagine Park had signed for say City all those years ago and it was a song sung at an opposition player to wind him up it would fit wouldn't it, its not really supportive.

Last edited:

Red00012

Our chants are largely pretty shit or unoriginal. Vidic was bothered by 'he comes from Serbia, he's gonna murder ya', Park by this dog meat stuff, Lukaku by the penis song, Wenger got a chant saying he is a pedo, then the 'Viva Ronaldo' and 'Oh Robin van Persie' are just plain boring.

The Martial chant is probbaly the best of the lot in recent years.
Can’t be as bad as Everton fans yesterday with their 2 songs made up of “Everton “ and “ Manchester is full of sh”

LARulz

When I was younger that chant made me laugh a lot (not in a laugh at Koreans way, just funny). I heard it sung a couple times at the game vs Everton when I went and smiled because I genuinely forgot about it so just got reminded

I can totally get why it can be offensive though - even if it's in good spirit, the stereotype can stick and most people will believe it till they hear/proven otherwise

Look-a-Hill

Park, Park, wherever you may be.
We respect your wishes entirely.
But should it be determined through one of those genealogy websites like ancestry.com that you're scouse.
We'll sing about you eating rats in a council house.

InfiniteBoredom

They do eat dogs though, so it’s factual, not racist.

it’s the rat eating scousers that’s the false part :lol:
Are you sure Scousers don’t eat rats?

Can’t be as bad as Everton fans yesterday with their 2 songs made up of “Everton “ and “ Manchester is full of sh”
Ours being shit doesn’t preclude others from being shit as well. As I said above, I found most football chants crap in general. Chelsea probably take the cake with their repertoire of ‘Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea’.

It’s just us who seem to have a knack of offending our own players with their chants though, also could be a case of being ignorant of similar situations elsewhere.