Park Ji-Sung asks United fans to stop singing his chant

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Some had a meltdown in another thread when it was suggested how distasteful this chant is. Claiming that all we will be allowed to sing is “nursery rhymes”.
Hopefully this will wake them up.

FatTails

In before the “I’ll say what I want and I don’t care how you feel about it” crowd.

That's how you handle it properly... well done Ji-Sung Park.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Fair enough. It's one I enjoyed back in the day as a kid but if Ji considers it crass and discomforting I'd happily stop. The council house stuff is also off the mark really, as last I checked there were one or two council houses in the Manchester area.

Red00012

You eat meat in your home country probably won’t have the same effect

OleBoiii

The song always bothered me, but I was under the impression that Park was OK with it, so I kind of "accepted" the racism.

I'm happy to hear that he's not OK with it and I hope that our fans respect his wishes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not racist is it. It's more zenophobia / ignorance, one of those sort of things.

That said, I've never sung it.

Not the worst chant by any means. Murderers and the likes are pure hatefulness. Trying to score points about death, which is dreadful. Although some try and condone it.

RonaldoVII

First Lukaku's massive penis and now this. Whatever next? Probably won't be able to sing about Vidic/Matic murdering people or some woke nonsense ;)

Cloud7

In before someone is in here calling Park a woke SJW snowflake and that football is being sanitized too much and things were better 30 years ago.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
The article in the Man Utd app says to look at the positive things his country has to offer like K-pop…

Personally I would way rather eat a dog than listen to that shit :D

But seriously, the man doesn’t like the song, it should stop.

InfiniteBoredom

Our chants are largely pretty shit or unoriginal. Vidic was bothered by 'he comes from Serbia, he's gonna murder ya', Park by this dog meat stuff, Lukaku by the penis song, Wenger got a chant saying he is a pedo, then the 'Viva Ronaldo' and 'Oh Robin van Persie' are just plain boring.

The Martial chant is probbaly the best of the lot in recent years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s not a nice song and if we respect Park like we should we should respect his wishes and ensure it’s not sung again. I see their president is looking at banning the practice and it would be good if it could be encouraged in the right way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's not racist is it. It's more zenophobia / ignorance, one of those sort of things.
I mean...it's just a fact in this case isn't it? Not even a stereotype. They're literally discussing a dog meat ban right now.
It's used as a joke, which could be deemed to have a negative spin, which could end up being classed as racism, possibly.

If he's bothered by it though, then it should absolutely stop, considering it's about him.

Flytan

I get why this one is bad but still don't understand the issue with Lukaku's.

I'll probably be yelled at for thinking that though.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I mean...it's just a fact in this case isn't it? Not even a stereotype. They're literally discussing a dog meat ban right now.
It's used as a joke, which could be deemed to have a negative spin, which could end up being classed as racism, possibly.

If he's bothered by it though, then it should absolutely stop, considering it's about him.
This. Even if it were a completely innocuous and uncontroversial chant, the fact that he doesn't want it sung should be the end of it.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Lukaku’s was singing about a racial stereotype

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Because it's based on a stereotype. And stereotypes are dangerous and are behind some of the worst racism and regimes in history.

Just because some think this is a "Positive" stereotype doesn't make it any more acceptable.

TheRedDevil2019

In before someone is in here calling Park a woke SJW snowflake and that football is being sanitized too much and things were better 30 years ago.
Well it is , no denying that and I wasn't even born over 30 years ago, never mind attending games!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It's his chant so fans should obviously respect his wishes. Come up with a new chant.

Flytan

Because it's based on a stereotype. And stereotypes are dangerous and are behind some of the worst racism and regimes in history.

Just because some think this is a "Positive" stereotype doesn't make it any more acceptable.
Like I said I'll be yelled at.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Probably will get backlash from my comment, but 1 million dogs are eaten in South Korea every year.

It's not racist or xenophobic, it's a tasteless stereotype, saying that all Koreans eat dog. It's really no different to the stereotype that all English people drink tea or all Scottish people eat Haggis.

Yeah. It's a strange one. "You eat frogs in your home country" to Cantona wouldn't feel at all...off...to me. Football chants aren't exactly high-brow.

The classism of "eating rats in your council house" seems worse...but even then, I've always assumed that football chants are sang and received with a sort of knowing acceptance between both sets of supporters that there's no real malice there.

But yeah, ultimately this is the main point.

The Bloody-Nine

Probably will get backlash from my comment, but 1 million dogs are eaten in South Korea every year.

It's not racist or xenophobic, it's a tasteless stereotype, saying that all Koreans eat dog. It's really no different to the stereotype that all English people drink tea or all Scottish people eat Haggis.
Are you saying all Scottish people DON'T eat haggis?

Skills

Snitch
Our chants are largely pretty shit or unoriginal. Vidic was bothered by 'he comes from Serbia, he's gonna murder ya', Park by this dog meat stuff, Lukaku by the penis song, Wenger got a chant saying he is a pedo, then the 'Viva Ronaldo' and 'Oh Robin van Persie' are just plain boring.

The Martial chant is probbaly the best of the lot in recent years.
Moyes' boys?

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag

so just carry on and keep singing the song even though he asked to stop singing it? Have some respect for the guy..

Jev

Is that still being sung? I assumed it had stopped years ago, it's pretty obviously offensive, to Park as well.

Was always a bizarre chant. 'You could be even more disgusting than you are'. What kind of a way is that to support a player?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
so just carry on and keep singing the song even though he asked to stop singing it? Have some respect for the guy..
I never said that. Of course stop singing it as he asked. But people are wrong saying that it is racist or xenophobic, that is totally different to stereotypes, especially if people are known to do the stereotype.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whats the national dish of South Korea?
It seems bulgogi would fit well.

I do think though that if Park has asked us to stop he deserve respect enough to not sing that version anymore.