Park Ji-Sung asks United fans to stop singing his chant

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The fact there are some fans trying to justify it when the man himself comes out to say he finds it offensive truly boggles the mind. Just grow up and find something else to chant about. Morons.

Adcuth

Inappropriate Content
Park, Park, wherever you may be
We signed you from PSV
But it could be worse
You could be van De Beek
Sat on the bench every fecking week
Donny, Donny, wherever you may be
Warming the bench next to Phil Jonesy
But it could be worse
You could be Park
Pretending your breakfast never used to bark

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
But it could be worse
You could be Park
Park: Please don't use the strereotype about Koreans eating dogs anymore it is offensive
Supposed fan: How about this even more offensive version.....

kthanksbye

Back in 2017 I had the chance to meet Vidic and Silvestre, they were going to make an appearance in an exhibition in my city.
Like an idiot I taught my non football friends the Nimanja chant and and we sang it when he walked in. It was only later I found out that he didn't like it. He still smiled and waved at us, then spoke to me like a gentleman when I went to him to take pictures.
I feel so stupid now.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Doesn't rhyme
You clearly think you're super funny, but it's just pure racism.

Surely you can see, when a Korean player asks fans to stop and says it is a racial insult to the Korean people, doubling down and writing a new rhyme saying Park eats dogs for breakfast is a 100% racist response.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Victor Victor, Wherever you may be
You’re meant to tackle in this country
But it could be worse, you could be scouse
Playing for them and being a mouse

Adcuth

You clearly think you're super funny, but it's just pure racism.

Surely you can see, when a Korean player asks fans to stop and says it is a racial insult to the Korean people, doubling down and writing a new rhyme saying Park eats dogs for breakfast is a 100% racist response.
Fun fact, domesticated dogs are not the only animals that bark. I have not mentioned anything about dogs unlike you as Park has specifically asked us not to do this.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Fun fact, domesticated dogs are not the only animals that bark. I have not mentioned anything about dogs unlike you as Park has specifically asked us not to do this.
Yes silly me, you've outwitted me with your clever argument clearly you were insinuating he eats seals instead, I'm sure he'd thank you for it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Isn’t it more of an issue because of the sensitivity around the eating of dogs, rather than being racist? Is saying dogs are eaten by Korean people more racist than saying fish and chips are eaten by English people or french people eat snails and frogs legs....or anything less mainstream that is known to be eaten in certain countries.
We’re in danger of just not being able to consider social grouping at all as a concept, which in some ways can be positive but in other ways forms identity and is basic human nature.

I get that if Park finds it offensive we should stop singing it. It’s quite an offensive song in any case but was always intended to be as an insult to our scouse friends. So we stop singing about Park...it would’ve happened years ago anyway but for the song having a dig at scousers.

Raw

The fact there are some fans trying to justify it when the man himself comes out to say he finds it offensive truly boggles the mind. Just grow up and find something else to chant about. Morons.
Yeah it's really simple. Just don't sing it. Even if you genuinely don't think it's racist for some reason, the guy clearly doesn't like it so why sing it and insult one of our own? Because epic bantz?

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Isn’t it more of an issue because of the sensitivity around the eating of dogs, rather than being racist? Is saying dogs are eaten by Korean people more racist than saying fish and chips are eaten by English people or french people eat snails and frogs legs....or anything less mainstream that is known to be eaten in certain countries.
We’re in danger of just not being able to consider social grouping at all as a concept, which in some ways can be positive but in other ways forms identity and is basic human nature.

I get that if Park finds it offensive we should stop singing it. It’s quite an offensive song in any case but was always intended to be as an insult to our scouse friends. So we stop singing about Park...it would’ve happened years ago anyway but for the song having a dig at scousers.
Park actually explained it.it's used as a common insult towards asians in occidental countries, that's why Korean people are annoyed by it.

Ixion

People really need to get out of the habit of telling people they shouldn't be offended by something. If the man himself is saying it then think about it from his perspective, he's not trying to be a dick about it for the sake of it. You could sing the exact same song at an opposition player and it would work as a song trying to wind a player up, it's not a supportive chant.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Probably will get backlash from my comment, but 1 million dogs are eaten in South Korea every year.

It's not racist or xenophobic, it's a tasteless stereotype, saying that all Koreans eat dog. It's really no different to the stereotype that all English people drink tea or all Scottish people eat Haggis.
It is slightly different though because drinking tea isn't seen around the world as a horrible thing to do. And haggis is also different to dog meat because haggis tastes fecking disgusting.

fergieisold

Park actually explained it.it's used as a common insult towards asians in occidental countries, that's why Korean people are annoyed by it.
Well of course it’s a bit of a jibe. Eating dogs in the west is frowned upon. Maybe it’s offensive but it’s certainly not racist.

Singing it is a bit stupid now though as he doesn’t like the chant.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
This is getting silly. Koreans who eat dogs are in the minority, it is not widely practiced. Probably happens in poorer/rural areas. The fact is the song tells Park he eats dog because he is Korean. He has probably never eaten a dog in his life. He doesn't like the song so don't sing it.

I have lived in Korea and I never eaten dog or seen one on the menu.

Adcuth

Yes silly me, you've outwitted me with your clever argument clearly you were insinuating he eats seals instead, I'm sure he'd thank you for it.
Unless hes a vegetarian, in which case I will apologise profusely.

Oranges038

Has anyone ever considered the scousers feelings on a song about them eating rats or if they like being named after a stew?

golden_blunder

Staff
Park Park wherever you may be
We hate scousers in this country
Saying “La” in your council house

golden_blunder

Staff
Parking costs a fortune in this country
But it could be worse you could be scouse
With the stolen car outside your house

norm87cro

Sure thing Park. If thats his wish so be it. But I think as a society we reached the pinnacle PC culture and it's getting tiresome

golden_blunder

Staff
kleba kleba wherever you may be
You brought your wife, she was only a teen
But they let her stay, even in your bed
Whilst we watched you playing football, worse than Fred

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
You eat Kimchi in your home country
Eating microwave meals in your mortgaged house

Respectful and acknowledges Scousers can indeed purchase their own homes.

golden_blunder

Staff
I wasn't even born in the 70s but thank you for confirming my statement
Well you started it fella saying basically that it’s gone too PC when players tell that what you’re singing is absolutely offensive. So why don’t you listen to the expert (Park in this case) and stop making it bigger than what it is

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Park says please don't sing that and clearly says it is a racial slur...

"I have to educate the fans to stop that word, which is usually these days a racial insult to the Korean people. I also feel responsible for the young people who are still discriminated against as Asians or Koreans, and struggling with that kind of discomfort. I really request the fans to stop singing that word. It causes discomfort to Korean people when they hear that song. It's time to stop."
@Adcuth's response

But it could be worse
You could be Park
Are you calling me a racist?
Yes I am.

When someone says please stop that, it is a racial slur used to discriminate against Asians and Korans , it is clearly racist to then incorporate the same slur into another rhyme and post it in a public forum as your response.