Park Ji-Sung asks United fans to stop singing his chant

J.Cruyff

Supports
Barcelona & Ajax
The chant is often used more so for taking a swipe at the scousers then it is to acknowledge Park.

Park coming out and calling it racist is a load of nonsense.

It has nothing do with racism, and he is just using the race card here to censor the fans from free speech as it paints his country in a terrible light.

It is a fact that dogs are eaten in his country and the most of people around the world that are non dog eaters, look down at this as disgusting and morally reprehensible act.

The nationally of the people, nor which ever country of which they belong to, has no bearing what so ever in the repulsive thoughts and negative connotations towards eating dogs. This thought doesn’t change if the people doing it were white, black, brown, yellow or blue. Attributing this to racism is a farce and as other have said it is a slap in the face of people dealing with actual real racist abuse.

Personally I have would no issue to continue to sing the chant.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Came for a meltdown, saw a meltdown... Where to next?

MUFC OK

Good post.

Thanks for explaining a few things I didn’t know/understand about Korean culture and political movements.

So do Parks views fit in with the younger generations standpoint on consuming dog meat?

Or

Is Park now out of touch with “regular” Koreans due to being a celeb and Westernised after living here so long?

I wouldn’t eat dog meat myself but always found it confusing in the western world how we just decide that eating some animals is terribly evil while eating others is perfectly fine
To be honest, it's both. I think some of the older generation feel like it's an attack on their culture and a sign western influence that the prevalence of dog meat is reducing.

What's undeniable is that Korea is trying to use pop culture as a soft power to aid its development, and with a lot success in recent times. Easy to forget that they hosted the World Cup in 2002, along with Japan, their neighbours who's cultural exports had been a massive success in the west in the 90's - think anime, Pokemon and other cartoons, western films about Samurai starring Tom Cruise (sigh) etc. Tbh I find the topic fascinating..

Cloud7

That's quite the meltdown taking place on the previous page

redMundo

To be honest, it's both. I think some of the older generation feel like it's an attack on their culture and a sign western influence that the prevalence of dog meat is reducing.

What's undeniable is that Korea is trying to use pop culture as a soft power to aid its development, and with a lot success in recent times. Easy to forget that they hosted the World Cup in 2002, along with Japan, their neighbours who's cultural exports had been a massive success in the west in the 90's - think anime, Pokemon and other cartoons, western films about Samurai starring Tom Cruise (sigh) etc. Tbh I find the topic fascinating..
Yeah I’ve actually recently bought a few things inspired by modern Korean fashion. I’m either early on to the next big thing or I’m gonna get laughed at.

People are furious on Korean people’s behalf because the western world points out dog meat is consumed there.

Without caring to find out if Korean people are proud of their Cuisine which is a huge part of their culture.

It’s wrong to assume the citizens would be offended by it or more importantly, indirectly imply that they SHOULD be offended by it.

I’ve been equally frustrated and fascinated by this thread.

It’s been the meltdown we all needed, what a crazy ride ahahaha.

Also, as I originally stated in my posts I agree that we should just ditch the song if Park has asked anyway, no biggie.

MUFC OK

Yeah I’ve actually recently bought a few things inspired by modern Korean fashion. I’m either early on to the next big thing or I’m gonna get laughed at.

People are furious on Korean people’s behalf because the western world points out dog meat is consumed there.

Without caring to find out if Korean people are proud of their Cuisine which is a huge part of their culture.

It’s wrong to assume the citizens would be offended by it or more importantly, indirectly imply that they SHOULD be offended by it.

I’ve been equally frustrated and fascinated by this thread.

It’s been the meltdown we all needed, what a crazy ride ahahaha.

Also, as I originally stated in my posts I agree that we should just ditch the song if Park has asked anyway, no biggie.
I doubt you'd be laughed at, I can only see their exports becoming more prevalent. That said, I havent seen said garments so can't comment :lol:

It's definitely not a coincidence though, there's a strategic plan to push their cultural products, which seems to be working. Like most things, the wheels are firmly in motion before they reach ours, the consumers, eyes.

At risk of derailing the thread I'll revert back to the topic: I absolutely believe we should respect JSP's wishes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The chant is often used more so for taking a swipe at the scousers then it is to acknowledge Park.

It has nothing do with racism, and he is just using the race card here to censor the fans from free speech as it paints his country in a terrible light.

It is a fact that dogs are eaten in his country and the most of people around the world that are non dog eaters, look down at this as disgusting and morally reprehensible act.

The nationally of the people, nor which ever country of which they belong to, has no bearing what so ever in the repulsive thoughts and negative connotations towards eating dogs. This thought doesn’t change if the people doing it were white, black, brown, yellow or blue. Attributing this to racism is a farce and as other have said it is a slap in the face of people dealing with actual real racist abuse.

So Park says this: “I have to educate the fans to stop that word [dog meat], which is usually these days a racial insult to the Korean people.” And your response is basically that he doesn't know what he's talking about and should stop whining?

And yes, the word 'racism' is used for acts towards a country, even if the country's inhabitants do not necessarily represent a 'race' (which is anyway a very poorly defined word).

NotThatSoph

Mate, what are you going on about? Haha.

You’ve got an issue about something I haven’t even said.

Park was not referred to as anything and I didn’t refer to anyone as anything.
I was referred to as a prat and a weirdo by ironically, an online weirdo prat.
By your reasoning, as the victim I’m right to claim he was wrong.
By your reasoning I was also within my rights to refer to that bigot as a “muppet”.
Do I fit your criteria or do I not deserve the same level of respect because we have a different opinion?

Your post is the car crash, educate yourself on understanding literature and invest in a dictionary before attacking someone.

It’s not my fault that you’re incapable of mature independent thinking. Discuss what I’ve said, no problem with that. But you’re outraged at what you want me to be in your imagination.

I don’t know who’s hurt you but it wasn’t me.
I hope you are ok but it’s in your mind that I’m associated with whoever made you this way.

Take your pack mentality blood-thirsting somewhere else big man.

I don’t have the post privileges to fully reply to you or the rest of the lynch mob.
I lack the desire sit in your kangaroo court.
Therefore I’m not engaging any more in this discussion.

You lot need to calm down and take a deep breath.

Enjoy yelling into the void everybody.
Prat. Weirdo. Muppet. Understanding literature. Incapable of independent thinking. Who hurt you. Pack mentality. Blood-thirsting. Big man. Lynch mob. Kangaroo court. Yelling into the void.

Tell us again how calm and not outraged you are, pretty please.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I understood correctly if I say "You banana eaters are better than italians" then everything is right as long as it's a joke at the expense of italians?

Zlaatan

Parody Account

That's a terrible post all the way through.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

How about one of your own players has asked, very respectfully, that he's not comfortable with the chant? Shouldn't that be enough to stop it? Or we just don't care if we hurt people's feelings because it infringes on your free will to chant whatever nonsense you feel like chanting because that's more important than making a former player uncomfortable?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

So you want to honour a much-loved former player by singing a song he's explicitly asked fans not to sing. Wow you're a truly hardcore fan.

It may not be racist per se, but it is playing on an old stereotype the country is trying to move away from. You have no issues with stigmatising people who live in council houses though.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We still have a long way to go, don’t we?

At least the Wenger song has died off.

Flytan

South Korea is massively pushing the "Korean Wave" with the aim of becoming a global exporter of culture, particularly in the west. K-pop, arts and film - see the hugely popular "Parasite" and very recently "Squid Game", the Oxford Dictionary literally added 20 Korean words 3 days ago. Make no mistake the wheels of the Korean Wave are firmly in motion.

So imo it's not hard to see why this has been raised now - a widely held but extremely negative stereotype in the west and definitely doesn't help the cutural image they are trying to push. How prevalent it actually is in the modern day is hard to say - I think I read a study that the majority of young people are against/dont consume dog meat at least.

My point is that I see this as a little more political than first meets the eye, but again, just my opinion.
It's weird since the country was literally ran in the shadows by a cult but it's almost like no one talks about it.

So you want to honour a much-loved former player by singing a song he's explicitly asked fans not to sing. Wow you're a truly hardcore fan.

It may not be racist per se, but it is playing on an old stereotype the country is trying to move away from. You have no issues with stigmatising people who live in council houses though.
It's disingenuous to call it an "old stereotype" as it's still going on today.

killerboi2

I get the feeling that if Park had ever been the main man at United like Ronaldo, Rooney, Cantona etc then the song would be changed to something more appropriate and less people would be defending the song.

Jippy

Staff
It's disingenuous to call it an "old stereotype" as it's still going on today.
Old in the sense that they're looking at banning the practice and not everyone eats dog there, although clearly some still do. Either way it's playing on a perceived negative stereotype about the country- are we really boiling the entire history and cultural achievements of an entire country down to a single food dish that we find distasteful in the west? If not old, it's certainly lazy.

Is a fan's 'right' to sing the song more important than the request of the player who it's meant to be celebrating? Yes, if you're a dick is what most people would say.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Yeah I didn't think you would because you're clearly a massive cnut.

Park has spoken and has said he doesn't want it being chanted anymore. End of discussion. If United fans want to continue singing about rats in council houses then come up with a new chant. Hopefully our match going fans listen to him and respect his wishes.

Flytan

Old in the sense that they're looking at banning the practice and not everyone eats dog there, although clearly some still do. Either way it's playing on a perceived negative stereotype about the country- are we really boiling the entire history and cultural achievements of an entire country down to a single food dish that we find distasteful in the west? If not old, it's certainly lazy.

Is a fan's 'right' to sing the song more important than the request of the player who it's meant to be celebrating? Yes, if you're a dick is what most people would say.
No, the minute park didn't like his song it was only fair to change it. But yeah just saying that it is still happening today. The same way they are able to refer to their culture for defending eating it, I am also free to hate the practice

Jippy

Staff
No, the minute park didn't like his song it was only fair to change it. But yeah just saying that it is still happening today. The same way they are able to refer to their culture for defending eating it, I am also free to hate the practice
Yep fair enough. I'm moving to Asia in 10 days so maybe I can try dog and virgin boy eggs etc...:drool:

Cloud7

It's always the racists peddling the "this is a slap in the face of people ACTUALLY dealing with racism!!" line, isn't it?
It’s becoming one of those giveaway lines that tells you exactly what sort of stuff the person in question is thinking. It goes along with other such classics as “virtue signaling” “Snowflake” “Woke” etc etc.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
It’s becoming one of those giveaway lines that tells you exactly what sort of stuff the person in question is thinking. It goes along with other such classics as “virtue signaling” “Snowflake” “Woke” etc etc.
It’s like they are all given the same script to work from

Cloud7

It’s like they are all given the same script to work from
The only “racism” these types probably acknowledge is KKK style lynchings, and even then they’ll probably say it’s a slap to the face of people dealing with real racism like apartheid.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The only “racism” these types probably acknowledge is KKK style lynchings, and even then they’ll probably say it’s a slap to the face of people dealing with real racism like apartheid.
Which is nothing compared to the Holocaust. Which never happened. So there.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Entire chant is about Park Ji-Sung. He feels it's offensive to him and offends the Korean population. But you think it's a load of nonsense and you would have no issue continuing to sing the chant? Cheers, you are one magnanimous person.

NotThatSoph

It's always the racists peddling the "this is a slap in the face of people ACTUALLY dealing with racism!!" line, isn't it?
Which is nothing compared to the Holocaust. Which never happened. So there.
Which is nothing compared to living in a socialist country.
I was going to ask you people to calm down a bit, but then I remembered reacting to some online ribbing will damage the cause of those on the end of real verbal abuse. If you don't carry on more people will actually get bullied.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Just noticed that he supports Ajax and Barcelona as well. Bet he's belting out United chants while supporting Mes que un club.

steve.crowford

Not having the rest was bugging me. This is the best I've come up with: Park, Park wherever you may be, most have two lungs but you have three, you're a Manc, never Scouse, they eat rats in their council house.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@Paxi what are you doing in Asia?
You want some lad? You keep tagging me.. I think you want eggs up your bum whilst I have you in a headlock. Everything consensual of course!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You want some lad? You keep tagging me.. I think you want eggs up your bum whilst I have you in a headlock. Everything consensual of course!
When eggs and oil are mentioned on the caf, I think about you. You have a few memorable posts. :lol:

unclemao

Nah. What would everyone sing then to every single Asian person who walks by the Bishop Blaize?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nah. What would everyone sing then to every single Asian person who walks by the Bishop Blaize?
Is this a Manchester reference I'm not getting? Is there a Koreatown where all passers-by are signing about eating dogs?