Park Ji Sung

Brophs

The One and Only
I see what he brings to the team, but too often it's all too apparent what he takes away by his presence. I'd prefer to see him as a squad member rather than a regular, truth be told.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I see what he brings to the team, but too often it's all too apparent what he takes away by his presence. I'd prefer to see him as a squad member rather than a regular, truth be told.
Yeah, without him in the team we probably would have won three league titles, one CL, and a few other cups aswell over the past three seasons. Gawd I hate that guy.. ;)

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, without him in the team we probably would have won three league titles, one CL, and a few other cups aswell over the past three seasons. Gawd I hate that guy.. ;)
To be fair, for a chunk of that time he's been a squad player and/or drop-able for certain games(CL Final being the prime eg). It's only been in the last season and a half or so that he's really been in there most weeks.

I don't deny he has his merits, and while Ronaldo was here he was a good counter-balance, but I always feel a little like his inclusion means we're more worried about stopping the other side than using another player to hurt them.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Yeah I get what you're saying, just feel he's an easy target on here when we loose a game simply because of the fact a big part of his game is to counter balance as you say. While when we do play well or win it's easy to forget he's even there sometimes

Smash-E

Park and O'Shea on one side brought no attacking threat all on the right. If Park plays, it really should be with one of the Da Silva's, or on the left with Evra.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
I have never really rated his abilities or lack thereof, but he is being ridiculously scapegoated right now.

People talk about his intelligent runs off the ball, but they only work when the team is playing well and dominating possession, then maybe one of his runs can drag the defenders out of position and create something. But he isn't the kind of player who can step up and shine when everyone else is having an off day. Park should always be second or third choice on the team sheet, his defensive game contributes the attacking winger on the other side. Valencia was supposed to provide the firepower but he didn't.

MUFC_Fatso

Park and O'Shea on one side brought no attacking threat all on the right. If Park plays, it really should be with one of the Da Silva's, or on the left with Evra.
This

Park is not an attacking threat, definitely not the kind we need on the flanks. We could play him as full-back on left and play Evra was winger and it will improve our attacking threat big time.

And with Ronaldo gone, we have lost our biggest attacking threat for last 3 seasons.

Sam

I'm.Sorry,but.he's.so.average.it's.almost.embarrasing.

reddevilcanada

He was the only player who really tested their keeper with his shot, other than the Carrick PK save. Was poor in the first half, but so were most players. Did better in the second half. He wasn't any worse than most of the other players in that game. Owen, especially, really should have put in one of those 2 sitters.

reddevilcanada

He isn't good enough to be in our team the CL final proved that and now it's confirmed again today.
Both in the CL final and yesterday, there were many players who were poor, does that make all those players not good enough to be in the team? It's the caf scapegoating time I see.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Both in the CL final and yesterday, there were many players who were poor, does that make all those players not good enough to be in the team? It's the caf scapegoating time I see.
While I dont think it's one player's responsibility for losing matches, questions need to be asked if said player is being correctly rated and constantly picked by the gaffer. And to be fair, most of the other players who were poor, could be counted on to deliver the goods. Park's best performances are usually down to his work rate, which the same could have been said for Tevez, but Tevez has scored a few very important goals for us. The guy may not be worth 25m out of our coffers, but if he was available I think he would be a first teamer.

And let's use Plech's reality check for a moment. Here is a list of what i would consider decent to top wingers (or players who play out wide) in the league: Young, Robinho, Arshavin, Walcott, Nasri, Benayoun, Kuyt, SWP, Kalou, J.Cole, Lennon, Modric, Arteta, Malouda. I would find it hard to even put Park in there, much less rank him. Why is it then that, if he would struggle to enter any of the top 4 clubs, would he deserve to start for us? Answer: we have no better options :nervous:

reddevilcanada

While I dont think it's one player's responsibility for losing matches, questions need to be asked if said player is being correctly rated and constantly picked by the gaffer. And to be fair, most of the other players who were poor, could be counted on to deliver the goods. Park's best performances are usually down to his work rate, which the same could have been said for Tevez, but Tevez has scored a few very important goals for us. The guy may not be worth 25m out of our coffers, but if he was available I think he would be a first teamer.

And let's use Plech's reality check for a moment. Here is a list of what i would consider decent to top wingers (or players who play out wide) in the league: Young, Robinho, Arshavin, Walcott, Nasri, Benayoun, Kuyt, SWP, Kalou, J.Cole, Lennon, Modric, Arteta, Malouda. I would find it hard to even put Park in there, much less rank him. Why is it then that, if he would struggle to enter any of the top 4 clubs, would he deserve to start for us? Answer: we have no better options :nervous:
I don't think he's a top winger, but he's decent alright. He's a very good squad player who can come in and do a job in the big games as he's shown time and again. But I wouldn't consider him as a top winger whom I'd like to see start every game for us. The problem with most people is that they either expect him to be Ronaldo/world class or not good enough to play for us. There's no middle ground here, and in games where we play poorly, it's always easier to have a go at certain players.

mlclauhk

It's amazing how quickly so many of you seem to have forgotten the huge role Park played in helping us to get to the final of the Champions League two years ago, or more recently the important goals he scored for us against Arsenal and Chelsea last year.

He may not be a Ronaldo or a Giggs and there's no debating that, but Fergie's got faith in him and to me that carries a far greater weighting than some of the knee jerk reactions we're seeing on here.

Players have bad games, shit happens, get over it already.

Cantona07

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
Sad comment, he has proved himself to be a versatile, important squad player and one poor performance doesn't change that. I'd hate to think how "shit" you consider Anderson or Nani to be given their inconsistent form since they arrived.
Park gets more opportunities in the team than Nani or Anderson. With the quality of the squad we have, Park shud be performing much better. For years we've been talking of his end product his crossing, his passing, but here we are still debating and hoping for improvement. He does offer something to the team defensively but his offensive game is poor. Not what we want to see at Utd especially when Ronny is gone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm.Sorry,but.he's.so.average.it's.almost.embarrasing.
He's clearly a lot better than average. He's actually a good player and has proved this time and again for us.

Unfortunately, he's been a good deal worse than average in the last two competitive games he's started. Because of the gold-fish memories of the average caftard this means he's shite and always has been. Ho hum.

Anduin

He's clearly a lot better than average. He's actually a good player and has proved this time and again for us.

Unfortunately, he's been a good deal worse than average in the last two competitive games he's started. Because of the gold-fish memories of the average caftard this means he's shite and always has been. Ho hum.
You have to accept there are supporters who clearly do not rate players the same way as you do. It's natural, we all can't have the same opinion. The opinion on Park has always been split. Useful player to have when Ronaldo was around, but he'll be used a lot less this season because we need two wingers who add a bit more to our game than running around and tracking down players. Park adds very little creativity let alone goal threat and that's why some supporters don't want to see him on the pitch just as much as last season. We could cope with Ronaldo around, now we can't IMHO.
If Nani would have had the same game like Park yesterday you'd have called for his head. As usual.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You have to accept there are supporters who clearly do not rate players the same way as you do. It's natural, we all can't have the same opinion. The opinion on Park has always been split. Useful player to have when Ronaldo was around, but he'll be used a lot less this season because we need two wingers who add a bit more to our game than running around and tracking down players. Park adds very little creativity let alone goal threat and that's why some supporters don't want to see him on the pitch just as much as last season. We could cope with Ronaldo around, now we can't IMHO.
If Nani would have had the same game like Park yesterday you'd have called for his head. As usual.
If Nani had played as badly as Park did last night I would have said he had a shite game. If I've said that Park had anything other than a shite game last night, please go ahead and quote me.

The fact is, Park has played at a decent level a hell of a lot more consistently for United, over the last two seasons, than Nani has. Which is why Park has been picked a hell of a lot more than Nani, over the last two seasons.

Neither player is "average" and Nani clearly has the potential to be a much more potent attacking threat than Park. Believe me, I'm desperately hoping that Nani keeps Park out of the team all season long because I've always thought he could develop into a player that's streets aheads of what Park has to offer. If he does keep Park out of the team then we'll be playing excellent attacking football. He'll need to up his game considerably from what he did last season to achieve this, mind you.

What pisses me off, though, is the 'tards who are re-writing history to suddenly portray Park as an "average" or shite player who was basically a passenger over the last two or three seasons. This is so far removed from the truth it's laughable.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I said it many times before, for a winger, he's just not creative enough. His attacking potential is not enough to be a considered a first teamer of United. He might do his job in specific games, but in most games, we need attacking, creative players, which is clearly not his strength.

ralphie88

Yeah, without him in the team we probably would have won three league titles, one CL, and a few other cups aswell over the past three seasons.
A little bit OTT that I'm afraid. The bottom line is that in those 3 seasons Park was a squad player, and that's how he should remain. If he is going to be starting most of our games this season, we will struggle. Quite simply he's not got the pace to provide a threat as a wide player in a 442. By all means play him at, say Chelsea, to nullify a dangerous full-back, but not against Burnley please!

Count Duckula

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people are echoing sentiments they weren't echoing before, Pogue. Wrongly or not, there's always been a lot of people (myself included) who have never really rated him apart from a select few games that suited his style - ie, as a squad player, not a regular first teamer.

It's not like people were perfectly happy when he started loads of games last season and are only now upset; people were very upset he got so many starts.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
To be fair, I don't think a lot of people are echoing sentiments they weren't echoing before, Pogue. Wrongly or not, there's always been a lot of people (myself included) who have never really rated him apart from a select few games that suited his style - ie, as a squad player, not a regular first teamer.

It's not like people were perfectly happy when he started loads of games last season and are only now upset; people were very upset he got so many starts.
If we had/have a better option than Park then I would have never had a problem with him sitting out games.

Last season he was the perfect complement to Ronaldo, in that he helped out defensively, when Ronaldo did not. This time round, I hope he really is a squad player and, like I said, I hope Nani forces him out of the team.

At the risk of repeating myself, my beef isn't with people who thought he played badly last night (he was awful) or people who think we need a better option on the wing (we do) My beef is with people re-writing history to say he was never good enough for United, because he quite clearly was.

INF-AMOS

My beef is with people re-writing history to say he was never good enough for United, because he quite clearly was.
But some people aren't re-writing history Pogue, most of my match going mates never thought he was United quality. It's theirs and also my opinion.

He is starting a fair few games, not just coming off the bench.

Me personally, being a busy player just doesn’t float my boat, not for a winger any how. I have always felt that Nani has far more natural talent and that his confidence and development is sometimes stifled by constantly being dropped and rotated.

Ronaldo was pretty much thrown in at the deep and allowed to play through his patchy form without constantly being dropped. I wonder if he would of been the same player he is today if he had been given the limited opportunities that Nani has.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm delighted to have him as a squad player because he brings a lot but i do agree that against the likes of Burnely, or any other team that will look to "park the bus" then he shouldn't be used.

Fergies Formula

should not start for man utd now ronaldo has left, he does not make or score enough chances for a winger, when that is exactly what we want from our wing play now.

Fergies Formula

Who would you have take his place?
Nani and valencia should be a permanent fixture.

And i think if we are serious with the 442, we need 4 quality wingers, so far we have 2, and park who isnt really a winger just a player who has lots of energy and hustle, and Obertan who is unproven and injured.

I would love to see us bring in so more quality on the wings, with pace and penetration, aaron lennon???

Suddenly the loss of the ever-present ronaldo has highlighted our lack of threat on the wings, and our lack of penetration from midfield.:nervous:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
But productivity wise Valencia has contributed the same amount to the scoresheet (goals + assists) that Park has in the last three seasons, while taking 30 odd more games to get there.
True but Park has done all that at United, we know what Park can do and we all know he isn't part of our best 11. Whereas with Valencia we have just signed him so we should be seeing what he can do and if he has what it takes.

Fergies Formula

But productivity wise Valencia has contributed the same amount to the scoresheet (goals + assists) that Park has in the last three seasons, while taking 30 odd more games to get there.
try to consider valencia was playing for wigan and park united, i dont need to go into more detail really.