Television Parks and Recreation

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'd pick Parks and Rec over the US Office, just. Both had incredible peaks from around season's two to four but the difference is that P&R had better quality after that, too. I also prefer the characters, just about, aided by the fact that Pawnee was full of so many great little side characters too like Jean Ralphio, Pert, Jan etc.

lsd

The Oracle
I see this compared to US Office a lot, which is my all time favourite. I tried watching it but couldn’t get into it, is it worth sticking with it?

Parks is better. Parks is what the writer of The US Office really wanted to do without interference.

Until Craig came along in season six there was not a weak character in the show and the surprising developed relationships between the characters are what makes it that bit more special ie Ron and April and Donna and Gerry

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'd pick Parks and Rec over the US Office, just. Both had incredible peaks from around season's two to four but the difference is that P&R had better quality after that, too. I also prefer the characters, just about, aided by the fact that Pawnee was full of so many great little side characters too like Jean Ralphio, Pert, Jan etc.
Agree with this. Also, the UK Office is god tier but I feel it gets retrospectively bashed due to Gervais's ever-growing ability to polarise people.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Jean Ralphio has one of the best lines of the whole show when he says “I hope you brought a change of clothes, because your eyes are about to piss tears”.

It absolutely creases me every time I watch that scene.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We just finished our rewatch. One of the best comedies ever.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Jean Ralphio has one of the best lines of the whole show when he says “I hope you brought a change of clothes, because your eyes are about to piss tears”.

It absolutely creases me every time I watch that scene.
That line is amazing :lol:

They use his character well because he’d be so annoying if he had too much screen time, but they limit him and it works

b82REZ

It's the little easter eggs you notice on rewatches.

The MRI date telling Lesley she could have triples off the bat.

Lesley and Ron foreshadowing them falling out in the episode with the old heads of parks.

I'm sure I'll notice more as I work my way through it again.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That line is amazing :lol:

They use his character well because he’d be so annoying if he had too much screen time, but they limit him and it works
Yep fully agree.

The scene where he bumped into Ben in a mall or something and was talking about how he’d just been waxed was also hilarious.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As great as Parks and Rec is, it doesnt come close to The Office for me

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As great as Parks and Rec is, it doesnt come close to The Office for me
I loved The Office but the drop off was enormous after Michael left and it became straight up shit when Catherine Tate joined.

P&R was consistent right through once it found itself after the first 6 episodes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I loved The Office but the drop off was enormous after Michael left and it became straight up shit when Catherine Tate joined.

P&R was consistent right through once it found itself after the first 6 episodes.
Yeah I think seasons 2-4 of both were their peak and both amazing but the drop off from The Office in later seasons was waaay bigger.

I do think Dwight is the best character in either show, though, closely followed by Ron.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I agree Catherine Tate was shite, but they did an good job incorporating James Spader as Robert California. Office has more memorable characters for me too, I always find the sketches of Toby (who the writers tried to recreate with Jerry in Parks and Rec) way better. And I think the characters have a better arc too, I don't think I can find a relationship as brilliant in Parks & Rec as I do when I see Dwight & Jim, or even Pam & Michael, Pam & Dwight, etc.

That said, P&R is a very, very good show. But for me, I just find Office in a league of it's own.

Rooney1987

I thought after season 5 it started to drop off. After 7 though it did take a dive. Every time I try to rewatch it I stop after season 5.

Imo season 2-5 of the office is the best comedy on tv ever but I do find myself watching Parks way more since both ended. I think as a show it might be more rewatchable.

lsd

The Oracle
I agree Catherine Tate was shite, but they did an good job incorporating James Spader as Robert California. Office has more memorable characters for me too, I always find the sketches of Toby (who the writers tried to recreate with Jerry in Parks and Rec) way better. And I think the characters have a better arc too, I don't think I can find a relationship as brilliant in Parks & Rec as I do when I see Dwight & Jim, or even Pam & Michael, Pam & Dwight, etc.

That said, P&R is a very, very good show. But for me, I just find Office in a league of it's own.

April and Ron are an amazing relationship.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
April and Ron are an amazing relationship.
They are, and I guess its subjective but I saw more relationship arcs in The Office (multiple ones).

Also although we grow to like her, Leslie Knope as the main character was thoroughly unlikeable for at least the opening 3 seasons.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
We just finished our rewatch. One of the best comedies ever.
On my first rewatch, I think I've enjoyed seasons 3&4 more than the first time. It's just perfect comedy for me.

Just perfect. The timing to end up at the same door, everything.
How he just saunters out as casually as he came in had me in bits.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Just shows how differently people see things.

For me P&R has some fantastic relationships. Leslie and Ben are so good. Ron & Lesie, April & Ron, April & Andy, etc..

I think the show has the best set of side characters ever. They're all so memorable for their own reasons and hardly ever a weak point of the show. Jean-Ralphio, Perd, Joan Callamezzo, Bobby Newport, Jamm, Ken Hotate, Harris, Barney, Ethel Beavers, Tammy, etc... it's just hit after hit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

For me P&R has some fantastic relationships. Leslie and Ben are so good. Ron & Lesie, April & Ron, April & Andy, etc..

I think the show has the best set of side characters ever. They're all so memorable for their own reasons and hardly ever a weak point of the show. Jean-Ralphio, Perd, Joan Callamezzo, Bobby Newport, Ken Hotate, Harris, Barney, Ethel Beavers, Tammy, etc... it's just hit after hit.
Yeah, different characters will hit different notes. With Parks and Rec there's certainly more creative scope because it's a Government workplace so it's easy to bring in other areas and guest appearances whereas The Office stuck only to Dunder Mifflin as the canvas.

I agree P&R has a better support cast, even if I don't love all of them. Except for Tammy of course, both of them are great casts.

I didn't even know that the actors of Tammy II and Ron Swanson are a real life couple :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I think the show has the best set of side characters ever. They're all so memorable for their own reasons and hardly ever a weak point of the show. Jean-Ralphio, Perd, Joan Callamezzo, Bobby Newport, Jamm, Ken Hotate, Harris, Barney, Ethel Beavers, Tammy, etc... it's just hit after hit.
Agree with this, the relationships are fantastic.

When you list out some of the side characters like that it’s a really impressive bunch, plus there’s Brandi Maxx, Crazy Ira & The Douche, Jenn Barkley, the guy who runs the pawn shop (can’t think of his name), the family values couple with the camp husband etc etc.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Agree with this, the relationships are fantastic.

When you list out some of the side characters like that it’s a really impressive bunch, plus there’s Brandi Maxx, Crazy Ira & The Douche, Jenn Barkley, the guy who runs the pawn shop (can’t think of his name), the family values couple with the camp husband etc etc.
Forgot about Jenn Barkley. She’s one of the best :lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I would look forward to Lesley proudly trying to display the town's history to tourists or school kids with the paintings of the Indians being blown by cannons or raped/lynched. The pictures were always different as well and progressively worse. She would try to put a positive spin on it while throwing up a little in her mouth. :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Also Dennis Feinstein. Can't find the clip but when hes trying to hire Ben to replace Eddie while Eddie's sitting right there.
“Don’t talk to eddie. Treat him like you would treat a person in another country that you paid $25,000 to hunt.”