Television Parks and Recreation

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I agree with the consensus that it can be started from S2E1 but season one did have some good Ron Swanson moments.

Presenting Leslie’s mum with the award just stating facts, playing scrabble with Tom who was losing on purpose, his love for bacon wrapped shrimp; “I enjoy government functions like I enjoy getting kicked in the nuggets with a steel toed boot. But this hotel always serves bacon wrapped shrimp. That’s my number one favorite food wrapped around my number three favorite food. I’d go to a banquet in honor of those Somali pirates if they served bacon wrapped shrimp.”

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Season 1 is decent if you've never seen the show before, but after watching it once you never need to go back to it. Like @Rado_N said, Ron Swanson's still great in season 1.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I liked Mark and missed him after he left... I was surprised he never made a cameo again later on in the series.

sajeev

Really brilliant show. Currently in season 6.
The manner in which Chris & Ben were introduced was brilliant.
So many characters who contribute in different ways

macheda14

Really brilliant show. Currently in season 6.
The manner in which Chris & Ben were introduced was brilliant.
So many characters who contribute in different ways
It has some of the best blooper reals from a show I’ve seen. Chris Pratt is hilarious.

Woodzy

I see this compared to US Office a lot, which is my all time favourite. I tried watching it but couldn’t get into it, is it worth sticking with it?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I see this compared to US Office a lot, which is my all time favourite. I tried watching it but couldn’t get into it, is it worth sticking with it?
Yeah it’s fantastic.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The first season is pretty shite but it's only six episodes. It picks up massively right from the start of season two, they basically changed the whole format and how the characters act because of negative feedback from the first season.

Honestly you could probably just read a synopsis of the first season and skip it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Starting this, hope it’s as good as people tell me it is.
It's quite chill. People have probs told you before but don't assume season one will be the same as the rest. I enjoy the first season but the main show starts from season 2.

Politics wise it's very centrist, so you'll be grand!

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's quite chill. People have probs told you before but don't assume season one will be the same as the rest. I enjoy the first season but the main show starts from season 2.

Politics wise it's very centrist, so you'll be grand!
Like all good comedy, it's pretty progressive.

But yeah it's great. Not quite as good as The Office or Scrubs, but up there along with Veep and Community.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Nah, Office is better. But it's miles ahead of Community.

Oldyella

Nah, Office is better. But it's miles ahead of Community.
As a whole, its ahead maybe, but only just, not miles. From about half way through season one to the end of season 2 Community was streets ahead. It just suffered from cast and crew changes more than most and had some low points.

diarm

Is it season 1 that has the joke about Tom getting his initials embroidered on all his shirts? I loved that joke!

Just to weigh in on the office. Loved the US Office, although it was somewhat throwaway tv (like most sitcoms), but the UK version was brilliant. The Xmas special is one of the finest shows of the last 30 years.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
My twitter profile pic.

Needless to say, i love this show (along with The office and it's always sunny in philadelphia).

DOTA

Like all good comedy, it's pretty progressive.
Doesn't the star and moral compass of the show aspire to emulate Hilary Clinton and Condoleezza fecking Rice? And then there's the worlds most loveable Libertarian. A man whose adorable right wing nature inspired the username of one this forums most energetically racist posters.

But mainly, I just saw I was replying to Elvis and added it to be childish.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Doesn't the star and moral compass of the show aspire to emulate Hilary Clinton and Condoleezza fecking Rice? And then there's the worlds most loveable Libertarian. A man whose adorable right wing nature inspired the username of one this forums most energetically racist posters.

But mainly, I just saw I was replying to Elvis and added it to be childish.
She does, but she also is less into drone striking other countries. Ron is libertarian, but the very fact that he's a libertarian is funny, because it's so ridiculous. It's like... Always Sunny is a very progressive show, even though the protagonists are all garbage human beings. The comedy is in the fact that they are so garbage.

Eh, I don't know. At the very least it's true that the right is inherently unfunny. You just end up with an old man talking to a chair.

DOTA

She does, but she also is less into drone striking other countries. Ron is libertarian, but the very fact that he's a libertarian is funny, because it's so ridiculous. It's like... Always Sunny is a very progressive show, even though the protagonists are all garbage human beings. The comedy is in the fact that they are so garbage.

Eh, I don't know. At the very least it's true that the right is inherently unfunny. You just end up with an old man talking to a chair.
I'd argue the chair thing was very funny but yes right wing comedy doesn't tend to work. Centrist comedy is extremely successful, though.

'Look at these right wing extremists, what a load of cnuts. Look at these left wing extremists, what a load of idiots. What a world, eh?' is the formula for a lot of the most popular political comedy.

On topic, if I was to really try and seriously take issue with Parks and Rec's political views, which I don't think is that necessary as it's not a very political show, it wouldn't be on the left/right axis, it would absolutely be that it wants us to believe that politicians are well meaning and their only flaws are cute ones. It is a lovely cosy sitcom and so that forces it to pretend that politicians are lovely. Same problem as Brooklyn 99. There's probably some obscure comedy script that never made it to filming about a charming group of arms salesmen.

Sweet Square

For anyone who likes the show it's worth checking out Comedy Bang Bang episodes starting Harris Wittels(Was one of the writers on Parks and Rec), Chelsea Peretti, & Adam Scott

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Community is overrated, they had periods that you could literally watch 5 episodes and not laugh once. I quit through third season.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Oh, I thought you meant the original Office the UK version which was garbage. The US office is decent, but not on the same level as Parks & Rec.
this post made me realise the utility of blasphemy laws

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i think right-wing *chan comedy is genuinely funny - they made an entire language and style - *****, soyboys, pepes - some of which can be funny.
also there's the (maybe) unintentional comedy

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It was, though. Ricky Gervais is as funny as pissing broken glass which is what his constantly self congratulating shrieking laugh sounds like.
Go to be honest, I've liked Gervais less and less as time has passed. I think his writing is flawed without Merchant; he doesn't balance the sentimentality and comedy well at all. Derek, and even more so, Afterlife were complete shit shows.

However, the Office was genius. I suppose if you hated Gervais all along, you were never going to enjoy it though.