Part-exchange deals. For example: Pogba

Mark Pawelek

Juventus are supposedly offering Miralem Pjanic and Douglas Costa for Pogba. On paper it looks good but ... Costa has been crocked for the last 2 seasons. Juve haven't been able to get even 10 starts/season from him. If he can't survive the Italian league what chance has he playing in the most physical league in the world? Pjanic has better fitness but do we really need another #8? We have Fred, McTominay, and Hannibal Mejbri coming through.

What would you do when a player wants to leave but no one has the money to buy him? I'd look at the positions we're weak in and I'd pick from Juventus' entire squad - including players they have out on loan and their youth. I think #7, #9, #6, #10, #3, #4 are more urgent positional needs, in that order. Rather than replace like for like (Pjanic for Pogba) plus an addition to our home for convalescing players, I'd get good, young, fit, fast players to play the positions we need.

Bondi77

Juventus are supposedly offering Miralem Pjanic and Douglas Costa for Pogba. On paper it looks good but ... Costa has been crocked for the last 2 seasons. Juve haven't been able to get even 10 starts/season from him. If he can't survive the Italian league what chance has he playing in the most physical league in the world? Pjanic has better fitness but do we really need another #8? We have Fred, McTominay, and Hannibal Mejbri coming through.

What would you do when a player wants to leave but no one has the money to buy him? I'd look at the positions we're weak in and I'd pick from Juventus' entire squad - including players they have out on loan and their youth. I think #7, #9, #6, #10, #3, #4 are more urgent positional needs, in that order. Rather than replace like for like (Pjanic for Pogba) plus an addition to our home for convalescing players, I'd get good, young, fit, fast players to play the positions we need.
What is the source?

Njord

What if we buy Sancho for 100M, Juve buys Pogba for 80M and Dortmund buys Costa for 40M. Then we van settle all three trades with us paying Dortmund 20M and Juve paying Dortmund 40M.

siw2007

To answer your question, I would hold firm and would not be interested in a part exchange with Juventus or Real Madrid unless they are for players we want and would improve our team. I would not hold too much credence to the newspaper reports, they are good at making things up to sell a story, Juve might be offering those players, Real might try and offer Bale/James but I'm not sure whether that is the case.

In broader terms, part exchanges are rare and for good reason. The buying team might try to use part exchanges not only to bridge the gap in a transfer fee, but to get rid of unwanted players and there are various reasons as to why a player might be unwanted from huge wages, injury prone, past their best, amongst other reasons. If the transfer was to happen, these issues don't just vanish they are now problems of the club who has just obtained them and thus it is probably an even worse deal overall in addition to the fact that you might have a player who doesn't want to be there anyway. As you say, it wouldn't be so bad if we had a pick over the players, maybe if we could get Odegaard from Real but doubt it would happen as I don't see them or any club wanting to trade valuable assets in deals like this.

Bondi77

Source: Di Marzio on @SkySport yesterday evening, as tweeeted by David Amoyal

Do Marzio is garbage.
What club in their right mind would move for Costa with his recent form especially when we have Rashford,Martial,James and Greenwood who can play in the wide positions.
Player exchanges do not work because teams only will trade the players they don’t want and are not in good form for someone who is wanted and is in good form.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That sounds like a dreadful deal. :lol:

ovoxo

I can’t see us wanting anyone from Juve other than De Ligt. I doubt they’d swap De Ligt for Pogba.

From Madrid we’d probably take Odegaard, Varane and Valverde but that’s about it.

Can’t see a swap happening to be honest, I think we won’t entertain Juve’s crappy offloads and demand straight money from Juve and Madrid. I know Zidane wants Pogba but I never bought the idea that Perez wants him so he’ll probably try to low ball us and he’ll end up staying. Also aren’t Juve interested in Arthur? If they get him, they won’t go for Pogba.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think I prefer Ronaldo in return for Jones and Lingard.

De Ligt for Alexis and Grant works too.

Baneofthegame

Id take:

De Ligt + Rabiot or Pjanic
60 million + Dybala
Odegaard + Cash.

Probably more, I doubt the opposite teams would though.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Pick from their squad?

As if they want a move to united without crazy salary.

This types of part swap deal seldom works.

Bondi77

Pjanic + De Ligt for Pogba + Sanchez
I reckon that should be tempting for Juve plus it gets monster wages of our payroll but Sanchez will not budge.

RUCK4444

It won’t happen... I doubt it’s even been suggested/offered from Juve.

I said in another thread, has there ever been a transfer swap involving more than one player heading to the same club as part of the deal?

Possibly at lower level football but at the top level?

Jericholyte2

From Juventus: Bentancur/Demiral plus cash
From Real: Odegaard/Casemiro plus cash

Why would we accept players they’re happy to get rid of?

Rocknrolla69er

Id stay away from both players.
Id only entertain swaps for the following Juventus players

Sandro
De Ligt
Ramsey
Rabiot

From Madrid
Varane
Militao
Valverde
Casemiro
Kroos

All still at a very good level, not past it or injury prone.

izec

Douglas Costa is garbage and Pjanic is already 30, and having an average season for his standards.

Only a deal involving Dybala and/or De Ligt i would take from Juve, since they are both relatively young and somewhere around Pogba level talents. The others aren't good enough or too old. Question marks remain if they would be up for it, probably not. So pay up Juve or feck off.

I think Real and Barca (if they want Pogba) have a lot more to offer in terms of exchanging players.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
God the idea of a part exchange for players they don’t want....for a player as good as Paul Pogba...no thanks. £120mill upfront or go away.

To be honest we aren’t a selling club. I wouldn’t sell him anyway. I’d play him with Bruno and whoever else next to them that fits the system best.

rotherham_red

From what everyone in the know has been saying, we have an established list of players we're going for and an established profile. Neither Costa nor Pjanic (as good as the latter is) fit that.

I definitely can't see us going for that deal. Dybala, or Demiral, and Bentancur? Maybe. But not the two that have been mentioned.

King_Cantona07

What if we buy Sancho for 100M, Juve buys Pogba for 80M and Dortmund buys Costa for 40M. Then we van settle all three trades with us paying Dortmund 20M and Juve paying Dortmund 40M.
Finance deals doesn't work like that, the reason why Dortmund want 100 m is to balance their books. They may pay Juve in parts which actually will show their current transfer outlay positive depending on the negotiations. Its better to show 100m incoming than 40m incoming to accounts when it comes to year end calculations.

Devil may care

These kind of deals don't happen very often but given the unprecedented situation they might be more applicable than usual if players are happy enough to move. If Juve want to do a part exchange then de Ligt or Bentancur should be the only players we'd accept, if it's Real Madrid then Valverde and Odegaard are the 2 we should be looking at.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I don't think you even need to make a new thread since there is a thread called Pogba's future, this is not even worth to be discussion. It's not going to happen.

Both Pjanic & Costa are old now, getting rid Pogba for 2 of 30 years old players don't seem to meet our transfer profile.

If we have Mourinho as manager I can see it's happening but not under Ole.

Danish Wizard

Would be open to swap Pogba for Martin Ødegaard plus some cash, or a straight swap with Raphael Varane.

If we assume United sign Jadon Sancho, it would be to much to go for Dybala. Would rather then go after a swap with Matthijs de Ligt.

Will we actually see more swaps due to Corona? Can't see it myself..

-Supreme-

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a swap deal involving Dybala, he'd be a great alternative if we fail to get Sancho

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Juventus squad is relatively old. I wouldn't want any player from them tbh. Real Madrid is a different matter altogether. However we can't expect Real to dismantle their first team to accommodate us. Thus I'd go for Achraf, Odegaard and Jovic

Mark Pawelek

I don't think you even need to make a new thread since there is a thread called Pogba's future, this is not even worth to be discussion. It's not going to happen.

Both Pjanic & Costa are old now, getting rid Pogba for 2 of 30 years old players don't seem to meet our transfer profile.

If we have Mourinho as manager I can see it's happening but not under Ole.
I think it was worth the discussion because it's really about player exchanges and whether they make sense. I seems the big majority of caftards say no. I can't disagree with them.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If it doesn't involve Ronaldo, they can get fecked. We need the cash more than any of their players.

NoPace

Ramsey and like 60M for Pogba isn't enough value but it does make some sense in that we get a backup for Bruno who can also play alongside him when we want a more offensive trio in midfield.

Rashford-Martial-Sancho (Greenwood, James, Ighalo)
---------Bruno---Fred---------- (Ramsey, McTominay)
----------------DM---------------- (Matic)

is a front 6 without any major, major holes until Ramsey gets hurt, though definitely still only fighting with Leicester, Chelsea and whichever North London side is good next year for the 3rd and 4th spots, well behind City (unlucky this year) and Liverpool (will come back to earth a bit but still 10-20 points clear of that group we're in).

So yeah, I'd ask for Bentancur, De Ligt or if we think he will be happy being our first choice #6, Rabiot has size and skill and is only 25 still and would probably make a solid pairing with Fred behind Bruno.

Ekeke

Its not good. Pjanic is 30 no point doing a big deal for him at that point. Costa started 6 games

Its like us offering Matic and Lindelof in exchange for Ronaldo or Dybala

A realistic swap would be like Pogba for Bentancur and (Costa, Rugani or Rabiot)

M Utd

I'd normally say any player swap deals are suited to fifa than real football. Having said that I wonder if there may be more swaps or player plus money swaps given the financial situation in not only football but the world.
As for that particular swap- I'd say its bollox.