Patrice Evra | 2008-12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_G

There's an interview somewhere where he was explaining how he'd specifically been told to get forward a lot more. Probably from around 12-18 months ago. That's all very well when you've got midfields of Hargreaves/Park/Fletcher/ to do a lot of covering for you, but a midfield of Carrick and a knackered Scholesy just isn't going to cut it
Yeah I think this is part of the problem, as much as I think Evra has been poor for a while now, a lack of a defensively sound partner for Carrick does leave us exposed at times, especially when we expect the fallbacks to get forward as often as they do. If you compare to City who'll typically have Toure and Barry holding, both able to fill holes very well, or really most top teams, they will have two midfielder who are strong defensive performers in their teams. Without fletcher in alongside Carrick we don't really have that and so I think it does cause problems both centrally and out wide.

Adebesi

So the logic is he will only make the necessary improvements if he plays a lot of games, more games than he would if he shared the role with Evra, as his understudy?

I dont get why he has to be playing every week to make good progress. Rafael came on nicely getting games here and there and gradually building up. The point about his injuries is a red herring: if he is injured it doesnt matter whether he is here or somewhere else. But assuming he stays fit, he could play a reasonable amount couldnt he? The thing is, even when he is fit (I dont know when he was last fit but I am sure he has been at some stage) he still doesnt get picked, Evra just always plays.

Anyway, I am sure you are right Hectic, I understand this is the logic that has been presented, it doesnt make a massive amount of sense to me but greater minds than mine believe it is the way to go so I will trust them as ever. I just hope it pans out as you say and he comes back a much better player a la Clev or Welbeck.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I believe it will. I think with Rafael he has had better fitness and luck with injuries since the start, and a lack of a tied-down player at RB meant his oppertunities were higher. I reckon we've tried the other approach, but it just hasn't worked, and now we are approaching the point where we need to consider that he will be Evra's future replacement, but really isn't prepared for it. One season out from us with a lot of games, and then one more season on and off with Evra, and then he will our left-sided Rafael. He's better in attack too than Rafael, or at least was, so it will be interesting to see the partnership he will forge with Nani.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If Vidic hadn't been injured all season, I think Fabio would have played a number of games over Evra. It was more difficult once we were missing Vidic's experience.

Rossa

I believe it will. I think with Rafael he has had better fitness and luck with injuries since the start, and a lack of a tied-down player at RB meant his oppertunities were higher. I reckon we've tried the other approach, but it just hasn't worked, and now we are approaching the point where we need to consider that he will be Evra's future replacement, but really isn't prepared for it. One season out from us with a lot of games, and then one more season on and off with Evra, and then he will our left-sided Rafael. He's better in attack too than Rafael, or at least was, so it will be interesting to see the partnership he will forge with Nani.
Absolutely, but it seems that our medical staff keeps vaccinating our fullbacks from scoring. Rafael gets himself into great scoring positions time and time again only to pull off an Evra! It sure would be a pity if that were to happen to Fabio too as he is quite a goal scorer for a fullback! Isn't Fabio supposed to be even pacier than his brother with slightly better technique too?

Kaush949

Partly, we have has also been left exposed due to the lack a "Fletcher like" central midfielder who would cover for him whenever he ventured forward.

Although Evra's form hasn't been that great, our priority should be to obtain a "box to box" midfielder who can pass and press at the same time.

Name Changed

weso26
Partly, we have has also been left exposed due to the lack a "Fletcher like" central midfielder who would cover for him whenever he ventured forward.

Although Evra's form hasn't been that great, our priority should be to obtain a "box to box" midfielder who can pass and press at the same time.
But Evra is costing us goals. He is the main reason, directly or indirectly, for a lot of the goals we concede. It was similar to when Kevin Kilbane was playing left back for Ireland. Teams targeted him because he couldn't defend, and it worked. And because he had such good service to the team, he was immune from critisism. It seems to be like that for Evra. He gets stick on here, yet he seems to get away with awful defensive displays over and over again.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It's to the point though that teams know that he is our achilles heel. Everybody has targeted Evra over the past year. I still can't get over his shambolic defending against Chelsea at SB when he just let Torres whip the ball in and Mata scored.

Gives good and rubbish players too much time on the ball and we pay the price for it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
But Evra is costing us goals. He is the main reason, directly or indirectly, for a lot of the goals we concede. It was similar to when Kevin Kilbane was playing left back for Ireland. Teams targeted him because he couldn't defend, and it worked. And because he had such good service to the team, he was immune from critisism. It seems to be like that for Evra. He gets stick on here, yet he seems to get away with awful defensive displays over and over again.
That sounds a bit hyperbolic to me... the main reason for a lot of the goals we concede? really??

It's to the point though that teams know that he is our achilles heel. Everybody has targeted Evra over the past year. I still can't get over his shambolic defending against Chelsea at SB when he just let Torres whip the ball in and Mata scored.

Gives good and rubbish players too much time on the ball and we pay the price for it.
Not this again. Evra followed Sturridge (his man) inside... Rio was watching over Torres... they then decided to switch as Torres was right away on the touchline, Torres (unexpectidly) crossed early and caught us out.

kps88

Don't buy the Vidic/midfield cover excuse. Fact is Evra knows we're missing Vidic and don't have a Flectcher in the team. With this in mind, he should be even more focused and determined not to leave his flank exposed. Its extremely bizarre because its not like he's repeatedly getting skinned by his man, he just refuses to be disciplined enough to ensure we don't get caught out. Can't be too hard to fix either. Just tell him to make sure your man doesn't have acres of space on the left because you're caught up field.

I can only imagine SAF isn't too bothered about it.

Rossa

Don't buy the Vidic/midfield cover excuse. Fact is Evra knows we're missing Vidic and don't have a Flectcher in the team. With this in mind, he should be even more focused and determined not to leave his flank exposed. Its extremely bizarre because its not like he's repeatedly getting skinned by his man, he just refuses to be disciplined enough to ensure we don't get caught out. Can't be too hard to fix either. Just tell him to make sure your man doesn't have acres of space on the left because you're caught up field.

I can only imagine SAF isn't too bothered about it.
SAF has said that Evra is vital to our attack, and much of Young's contributions at the beginning of the season were down to Evra providing support and giving him space. In other words, it seems that Evra is allowed to go a little gung ho in attack.

He has 6 assists this year, which is quite good, but how many attacks hasn't he orchestrated with his drive forwards? Although some of his pace has gone, his drive hasn't! When everyone else is on their back foot, Evra always seems willing to attack - against City too much so.

Once Evra goes missing, I think we will see what his contributions to our team really is! Sure, his defending has deteriorated. I seem to remember a time where only Lennon was able to get past him, but now he is caught on the wrong foot too often!

However, most fullbacks are caught out quite a bit. As I've watched some Liverpool games I've seen that Enrique is caught out a lot more than Evra, mostly due to his complete lack of agility. Ashley Cole is certainly no better than Evra; Everton should praise themselves lucky that Baines were out against us because Baines would have had no chance against Valencia like Distin did, who was to be honest properly raped second half.

DevilRed

You've got to wonder whether the insane amount of matches he has played over the last few years has finally caught up to him. I don't have the stats to back it up but he must be the one player that we have used the most over the last 5 years. Alot has to do with the fact that he never seems to have any lengthy injury layoffs and undoubtedly is one of our most dependable players.

I think people are overreacting to his so called poor defending. He rarely gets beaten by any player not named aaron lennon. Yes he might get caught out of position from time to time lately, but it might be because he has received instructions to get in tighter with the centre backs rather than leave a big gap between him and Rio, hence why everton were allowed a few too many crosses from the right flank. He could do better closing down players who cross the ball into the box but we need to deal with these crosses a little better as a team and thats partly down to not having Vidic around. Regardless, he is a constant threat on the left flank when we attack and although his final ball isn't great he does pose a danger most of the time.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Not sure what that was from Evra tonight, he was fecking shit. I lost count of the amount of attacks that came down our left in the first time.

johnmufc

Fergie is too scared to drop Evra, let alone sell him. He is the worst captain and biggest liability at left-back I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Sam

Need a new left back.

I love Paddy, but he's a load of shit thesedays.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He is fecking fecked. You might as well write off any good defensive performance from him anymore. Every fecking single team targets him and we've seen it all season. Fergie needs to pull his head out of the sand and either bench him, or feck him off. Regardless of where the goals come from, it doesn't help that teams are constantly given a glimmer of hope by consistently woeful defending performances.

AVARiCE

I know people are angry so I won't stoke the fire -- I'll gtfo if necessary -- but I thought Paddy was decent for us tonight. Giggsy didn't help him much and, particularly towards the end, Paddy was a huge attacking outlet for us down the left.

At the very, very least, I hope everyone can appreciate that Paddy looked like he gave a damn tonight. Something I wish I could say about all our players.

Leg-End

I don't think anyone is doubting his qualities going forward, its more the fact he gets beat by seemingly every winger he comes up against these days. Positionally he is completely fecked, I don't know if it was perhaps Vidic that keeps him in check because since his injury we have seen the very worst of Evra defensively.

askabob

That was one turd of a performance. He got beat by Nasri so many times it wasn't even funny. Oh and he can't cross for shit, he gets into great positions but ALWAYS manages to feck up the cross/ hit a defender.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I know people are angry so I won't stoke the fire -- I'll gtfo if necessary -- but I thought Paddy was decent for us tonight. Giggsy didn't help him much and, particularly towards the end, Paddy was a huge attacking outlet for us down the left.

At the very, very least, I hope everyone can appreciate that Paddy looked like he gave a damn tonight. Something I wish I could say about all our players.
Huh? He played ok. We got massively out-numbered on our left wing. Which happens when the winger is 38.
There were times when he was out numbered. You can't blame him for that. But there was so many times he was dragged out of position, allowed the cross to come in, allowed his man to easily skip by him and when you think he might redeem himself with his forward play. Hell no. He was awful in that department too.

I've not slated Paddy this season. I still think that, pound for pound, he's the best left in the league. But the last 2 games he's been awful.

That left back spot was targeted as a weakness and obviously not for the first time. For what it's worth, Evra actually defended ok. Sure he had a some of his usual moments where he went missing, but they weren't fatal. I'd agree with those who pointed out that he was hardly protected out there. It was easy for Man City to bypass the left side of midfield and double up on him. Giggs, Scholes and Park got caught upfield especially in the second half.

Ekeke

As much as I appreciated what he used to offer the team at his best, he's now a bad player. I remember during first half commentary that it was mentioned that Giggs and Evra were left catching their breath after a City break away. Giggs you can understand, but Evra? He used to be made of energy and running. Now even thats going? So what does he offer anymore?

Out of position most of the time in defence, doesnt get forward anywhere near as much or as fast as he used to and he still cant put a decent cross in when he does get there.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
I don't think anyone is doubting his qualities going forward,
I do. It's not like he's chipping in with goals and assists to justify him being a defensive liability. I'm sorry, but if you're going to be a full-back known for your attacking prowess and neglecting the defensive aspect of football then you have to do more than what he does offensively. I mean, missing a header from three yards out when you're supposed to be an excellent attacking full-back? Give me a break.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Now here's a scapegoat thread if I've ever seen one... yeah he wasn't great, but he wasn't awful by any stretch... and certainly no worse then the man at the opposite full-back, or those in front of him.

Also, yes he's crossing is terrible, but he always makes sure he wins us a corner... i'd probably say he wins us more corners then any of our other players. Would it be better if he could float one onto Rooney's head all the time? Sure, but at least we keep the pressure up.

Varun

Staff
He gets sucked in infield far too often for my liking resulting in not being able to cut out the cross. Also, gets beat far too often.

As has been said for a while now, he needs competition at LB.

Anderson8

The thing that annoys me about Evra is that sometimes it just looks like he actually couldn't give a feck when he's defending.

kps88

I do. It's not like he's chipping in with goals and assists to justify him being a defensive liability. I'm sorry, but if you're going to be a full-back known for your attacking prowess and neglecting the defensive aspect of football then you have to do more than what he does offensively. I mean, missing a header from three yards out when you're supposed to be an excellent attacking full-back? Give me a break.
To be fair he does have the knack of winning us corners. We're good at corners right? Right?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He clearly isn't the brilliant player he used to be but can't particularly fault him for anything yesterday. He got beaten a few times but that will always happen with the Evra of today. Had a decent enough game.

Rossa

feck me... Evra faced two and three players, alone, the whole match and you are putting the stick on him? He blocked countless crosses, but no fullback in the world can cope with two and three players against you. He actually had a decent game, as did our defense in general!

Status
Not open for further replies.