Patrice Evra | 2008-12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Some people are scared to criticise Evra, just like Fergie is scared to drop him. Giving him the captaincy ahead of Ferdinand has been a disaster.

It's not fair how Fergie has treated Fábio, he is a very talented player and should be starting many more games. Evra is finished.
You're always good for a laugh John. Whenever I'm feeling low I boot up RedCafe, find your profile, view posts..... fun times commence.

Rossa

It's not even the fact that he gets caught out a lot that bugs me. I can accept that since a part of his job is going forward. He's just so poor when in line with the defense and actually doing some defending. When I see a winger coming at him I don't expect Evra to win the ball. Against City Nasri didn't even seem to pay attention to Evra. Evra never hindered him in the slightest. Yesterday Dyer was all over the place.

Everytime we play against a team who has a man on the right that attacks full backs I'm worried. I'm never worried about that with the left side however.
When we play a team that doesn't have a player like that on the right I'm got no worries for Evra.
Dyer did feck all against Evra! Hell, Evra even outpaced him on a couple of occasions (which he also did last time they met - so either Dyer's pace is overrated or Evra hasn't lost as much pace as some would argue).

How much did Nasri accomplish though? Not very much, and every fullback gets skinned quite a few times in every match, even when they are playing at their very best - Rafael used to own Bale on a couple of occasions, but Bale still was able to put in a couple of dangerous crosses - it's the way of the game for fullbacks. You lot just seem determined to exaggerate Evra's liability as you put it - heck, he even got the stick around here when Nani defended like a 90 year old blind man against Hibbert...

dileno

As much as I love Evra, there's no denying he's at fault for a lot of goals against us this past season or two.

Has anyone counted all goals against us, created from Evra's sidea this season?

Rossa

As much as I love Evra, there's no denying he's at fault for a lot of goals against us this past season or two.

Has anyone counted all goals against us, created from Evra's sidea this season?
Yeah, because all goals created from Evra's side is his fault, riiiiight?

You expect crosses to reach the box from time to time no matter how good a fullback is. Sure, Evra hasn't been as defensively sound this year as one would hope and expect. However, even when Evra concedes a free kick in midfield and Evans or Rio loses a duel that leads to a goal it is Evra's fault - he is blamed for so many silly things this season that it is beyond hilarious.

Every fullback is skinned in every match, no matter how well they play - and every fullback has to concede crosses into the box and concede a free kick now and then in a dangerous position - and it's OK when other fullbacks concede to this, but not when Evra does, apparantly.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, because all goals created from Evra's side is his fault, riiiiight?

You expect crosses to reach the box from time to time no matter how good a fullback is. Sure, Evra hasn't been as defensively sound this year as one would hope and expect. However, even when Evra concedes a free kick in midfield and Evans or Rio loses a duel that leads to a goal it is Evra's fault - he is blamed for so many silly things this season that it is beyond hilarious.

Every fullback is skinned in every match, no matter how well they play - and every fullback has to concede crosses into the box and concede a free kick now and then in a dangerous position - and it's OK when other fullbacks concede to this, but not when Evra does, apparantly.
Don't be daft. He's been piss poor defensively for a couple of seasons now. It has nothing to do with other full backs. We didn't measure him by other players' standards when he was better than them, it's cheap to start doing it now.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
because he said we can still win the title? He has done far more impressive things
He still has faith and won't give up. He truly believes it may happen and that kind of fight is what makes a Man Utd player. Just felt he needed a bit of support after some of the attacks on him in this thread

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He still has faith and won't give up. He truly believes it may happen and that kind of fight is what makes a Man Utd player. Just felt he needed a bit of support after some of the attacks on him in this thread
He would get abused if he said that on redcafe and you're right. It is great to see a player have faith when there is tonnes of people on here not having any. It is only 90 minutes, QPR can get that result. Stranger things have happened.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
He would get abused if he said that on redcafe and you're right. It is great to see a player have faith when there is tonnes of people on here not having any. It is only 90 minutes, QPR can get that result. Stranger things have happened.
One thing you know with a Hughes team is that they will fight. If they can overcome their technical flaws and fight tooth and nail it could happen. City are in unchartered territory and will really feel the pressure come Sunday. Like evra says an early goal for us puts them in a difficult situation of needing to "force" a goal. Unlikely but football is made for these unlikely events

Rossa

Don't be daft. He's been piss poor defensively for a couple of seasons now. It has nothing to do with other full backs. We didn't measure him by other players' standards when he was better than them, it's cheap to start doing it now.
He's not been as good as he was, but piss poor is a piss poor argument tbh.

All players are measured against other players' standards, if you say otherwise you are either naive or just not telling the truth. By saying he was better than others you are comparing them, implicitly or explicitly - take your pick.

What I believe is that his defending relies upon many factors, some which are down to him, some which are not:
1. He always relied heavily on pace as he was one of the fastest players in the league - he's lost a bit of that now and struggles to compensate, which leaves him trailing a bit more, and also leaves him out of position more.
2. He used to have Vidic covering for him - which is basically a full stop for most attackers - and even when a cross was hit into our box, Vidic or Rio cleared pretty much everything (not a bad word about Evans, but he is no Vidic in the air).
3. Our left side of midfield is struggling defensively as neither Giggs nor Scholes are good at defending.

Dion

:houllier::lol::nervous::confused: Are you sure you want to stand by that statement? I can see people picking holes in it!

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Was just watching a season review thing on sky, said he was statistically the best defender in the league this season. Not sure what criteria they used for that tho.
A retarded one, I should imagine. ;)
I absolutely love Evra - he's going to go down as one of the great defenders in the history of this club - but he's been nothing like one of the best defenders in the league this year, unfortunately.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's not been as good as he was, but piss poor is a piss poor argument tbh.

All players are measured against other players' standards, if you say otherwise you are either naive or just not telling the truth. By saying he was better than others you are comparing them, implicitly or explicitly - take your pick.

What I believe is that his defending relies upon many factors, some which are down to him, some which are not:
1. He always relied heavily on pace as he was one of the fastest players in the league - he's lost a bit of that now and struggles to compensate, which leaves him trailing a bit more, and also leaves him out of position more.
2. He used to have Vidic covering for him - which is basically a full stop for most attackers - and even when a cross was hit into our box, Vidic or Rio cleared pretty much everything (not a bad word about Evans, but he is no Vidic in the air).
3. Our left side of midfield is struggling defensively as neither Giggs nor Scholes are good at defending.
:houllier::lol::nervous::confused: Are you sure you want to stand by that statement? I can see people picking holes in it!
Arrogant smilies aside, my point is that we didn't look at someone like Ryan Taylor and say "oh, well he makes X mistake so it's okay for Evra to make it too as they're both full backs". We compared them to evaluate them, not in terms of our expectations. Of course players are compared with each other, but you don't base your expectations for one player from what other, often imcomparable players do. He was held to a higher standard because he was a better player. So deciding now to say that his performances are up to scratch because other, patently less talented players do the same, doesn't ring true for me at all.

And yeah, piss poor is probably a bit much. But he's been miles below the high standards he set for himself.

Rossa

Arrogant smilies aside, my point is that we didn't look at someone like Ryan Taylor and say "oh, well he makes X mistake so it's okay for Evra to make it too as they're both full backs". We compared them to evaluate them, not in terms of our expectations. Of course players are compared with each other, but you don't base your expectations for one player from what other, often imcomparable players do. He was held to a higher standard because he was a better player. So deciding now to say that his performances are up to scratch because other, patently less talented players do the same, doesn't ring true for me at all.

And yeah, piss poor is probably a bit much. But he's been miles below the high standards he set for himself.
Well, to some extent I agree with you, but not quite. Some also look to players like Leighton Baines and Jose Enrique, even Marcelo and compare them to Evra and conclude with them being better. The problem is that we watch Evra each match, and what has now become the popular incentive is to focus on the negatives, and subsequently one finds several things to nit-pick on. When we watch the other players, we see them play a couple of times then the highlight reels and we more or less judge them on that and what the pundits say in the media.

If I were to judge, I would say that Taiwo is one of the best fullbacks in the league due to him doing a good job against Valencia, whereas most fullbacks struggled this season. I don't think it's a fair comparison nor a true one.

If those SkySports stats show that Evra is statistically one of the best defenders this season, then surely there must be something to it and consequently many people's perception of Evra slightly tinted by a general consensus.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely saved his best game for last. Was unbeatable today

Rossa

Definitely saved his best game for last. Was unbeatable today
Was really great to watch - that one time when he acted as a true captain to tell his team that this was no time to relax was almost eye-watering.

I think Evra will be great next season. It seems that he is regaining his pace as he was very quick today, and the way he intercepted the ball reminded me of 2008.

kps88

Giggs, Jones and him all had great games. To be fair, Sunderland had no goal threat about them whatsoever.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It was good performance, but our whole back 4 played very well.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Evra used to be much much more agile. There were times he was almost parallel to the ground and had one hand and one leg in the field, and still won the ball. (This bulking up thing don't work for all the players, does it? )

He did very well today.

DevilRed

Did fantastic today. Probably our most overused player in the last 5 years and yet he still keeps on going.

Say what you want about him but he is as dependable as any player we've ever had. Rarely injured and always there to put in a good shift at left back. People overreact to his perceived defensive deficiencies this year. He has been very good for the most part.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Over reaction? No.

When teams starts targeting our left side as the weakest point, you know it's a problem area. And he's been at fault many times.

Rossa

Over reaction? No.

When teams starts targeting our left side as the weakest point, you know it's a problem area. And he's been at fault many times.
Sure, you are partly right, but our whole left side has looked vulnerable from wingers to midfield to defense. Our left central midfield is atrocious at defending, and thus our opponents target the left side also due to this.

Let's not criticise mad Pat after today; he was terrific. I also thought he was very agile and fast today - looked very much like an Evra of 2008-2009.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Sure, you are partly right, but our whole left side has looked vulnerable from wingers to midfield to defense. Our left central midfield is atrocious at defending, and thus our opponents target the left side also due to this.

Let's not criticise mad Pat after today; he was terrific. I also thought he was very agile and fast today - looked very much like an Evra of 2008-2009.
Agreed, he was brilliant particularly in the first half.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Did fantastic today. Probably our most overused player in the last 5 years and yet he still keeps on going.

Say what you want about him but he is as dependable as any player we've ever had. Rarely injured and always there to put in a good shift at left back. People overreact to his perceived defensive deficiencies this year. He has been very good for the most part.
It's hilarious how indestructible Evra seems to be, even when he seems to be in absolute agony. Fabio must be pulling his hair out.

Evra was class, today. It was like a standard Evra 08/09 or 09/10 performance, really. Just think...he was doing this every week at one point! He's been brilliant for us - his overall contribution is crazy when he's on form.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
According to the Bbc His brother died 2 weeks after Suarez Gate!

That's news to me and goes a long way toward explaining his form fluctuating this season!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think Evra's fall in form has been drastically overstated.

Not saying we don't need some cover/competition for him, but he's still always first choice for me.
Well yeah he will be first choice until a new better version is developed or signed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.