Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Didn't think he will last this long when he was hired. Did well last season and the lack of a decent striker has cost him.
Farewell Pat.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Going forwards we looked awful. Sure we don’t have world beaters but I am sure the right appointment could get more out of Eze, Olise, Zaha and Edouard. As a Chairman it must be frustrating to see any 2 of those benched for Schlupp and Ayew every week when scoring is your issue.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't Palace have one of the worst striker sets in the league? Looked like a huge problem and Zaha is no central player to rectify it.

Vieira seemed to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. After a good start things fell apart. Strange trajectory.
He was the one who signed both Edouard and Mateta. The latter might be the worst no.9 routinely playing footy in the PL

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He lacked creativity it seems. Not much ideas to change things around when needed. But he has time on his side. Perhaps he’ll learn from this.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think it's a harsh decision.

They've been poor to watch but even in this run they've still drawn with Liverpool, Man. United and Newcastle.

If they didn't win the 3 games in first week in April then I could understand this more.

Massive void with Gallagher not being replaced and their CF options are very poor so not sure you can blame Vieira for that.

Interested who they get in to replace him now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Going forwards we looked awful. Sure we don’t have world beaters but I am sure the right appointment could get more out of Eze, Olise, Zaha and Edouard. As a Chairman it must be frustrating to see any 2 of those benched for Schlupp and Ayew every week when scoring is your issue.
Gallagher void is the biggest issue imo, scored 8 premier league goals and his bustling style was perfect to place infront of likes of McArthur/Schlupp etc.

Without him and similar type signed it's just gone back to a Hodgson esque no frills and ponderous CM that can't get the ball to Zaha quickly enough.

I think guys like Eze and Olise are still works in progress, lovely technical players but productivity at key moments in games still needs improvement.

I assume Palace will go for another young progressive coach now or in the summer. Getting in a Big Sam on 18 month deal would make little sense as I think you'll stay up pretty comfortably and then what happens next season?

Abraxas

They should go all out for big Ange. Some of the names they're being linked with are diabolical. Proven failures.

Vieira wasn't too bad overall in his tenure but had lost the plot of how to get a functioning attack. Don't think he did so bad that he'll struggle to get another decent job.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They should bring in Nathan Jones so we can get some more gold standard comedy pressers.

Jeffthered

Not surprised, their games always seem to either finish 1-0 loss or 1-1.
Yes, unfortunately.. I think he's a pretty cool guy very impressive with his manner and considerations post-match etc... but I do question his management instinct, because you could see Palace were (are) struggling and all of these 'ball players, none of them were goalscorers (this was highlighted in another thread earlier this week...) Palace have their No 9 heroes, Wright/Bright, to Andy Johnson, to Glenn Murray... I think this 'false 9' only works with teams packed with v v special midfielders and attackers, and outstanding managers who have experience of playing this way. Palace don't ever look like scoring and Patrick Viera should have addressed that months ago. I don't know why managers seem reluctant to just focus on some forwards who only want to score goals.

Varun1

They have been crying out for a CF that can get goals for years and keep getting the recruiting wrong. From Benteke to Sorloth right the way through to Mateta and Edouard. Just rubbish decisions.

They should have got in Ings or a proven PL goalscorer.

Zaha, Olise, Eze in behind him would look tasty on paper with Doucoure and Amahada sat in.
Has Viera even played Edouard regularly or he's just average?

He should shoulder most of the blame, the investment and recruitment has been nowhere good enough. CP have been in the PL 10yrs now and only had one top 10 finish in that time. More questions need to be asked of him imo.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They’ve spent 100-150m over two seasons with little incoming.

He should shoulder most of the blame, the investment and recruitment has been nowhere good enough. CP have been in the PL 10yrs now and only had one top 10 finish in that time. More questions need to be asked of him imo.

romufc

Im gonna need to see a receipt for those numbers :lol:

Cheick Doucouré €22.60m
Naouirou Ahamada €12.00m
Chris Richards €12.00m
Marc Guéhi €23.34m
Joachim Andersen €17.50m
Odsonne Edouard €16.30m
Jean-Philippe Mateta €11.00m
Michael Olise €9.30m
Will Hughes €7.00m

132m Euros in the last 2 seasons. 5m income.

Look on transfermarkt. 85m spent and 0m income in 21/22. 46m spent and 5m income in 22/23.
Cheick Doucouré €22.60m
Naouirou Ahamada €12.00m
Chris Richards €12.00m
Marc Guéhi €23.34m
Joachim Andersen €17.50m
Odsonne Edouard €16.30m
Jean-Philippe Mateta €11.00m
Michael Olise €9.30m
Will Hughes €7.00m

132m Euros in the last 2 seasons. 5m income.
Wow the recruitment has not been good at all! Only 3 good signings out of that lot imo it would be interesting to know how much Brighton have spent in comparison

Abraxas

But they spent bugger all in the years preceding that spending. Pretty much nothing spent years in a row. Then they suddenly come out spending 20 million on players but when you have been as inactive as they have in the market over the years they probably don't have the cutting edge in terms of recruitment. I'd imagine they're also fairly low on the wages front. So I'm not really sure what can be expected of Palace as a football club all things considered.

romufc

Wow the recruitment has not been good at all! Only 3 good signings out of that lot imo it would be interesting to know how much Brighton have spent in comparison
This is a problem with all the teams in the PL, the % of signings that actually come off is very low. Its all about the manager and systems imo.

Brighton have also spent 130m euros but they tend to buy more players for lesser fees in comparison to Palace, where they spent about 50m on strikers and all of them are rubbish.

The other difference, Brighton actually sell which allows them to buy more. Palace have a terrible selling record, players like Zaha when offered 70m by Arsenal was rejected.

Since then Zaha's price has never been more than 20m.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is a problem with all the teams in the PL, the % of signings that actually come off is very low. Its all about the manager and systems imo.

Brighton have also spent 130m euros but they tend to buy more players for lesser fees in comparison to Palace, where they spent about 50m on strikers and all of them are rubbish.

The other difference, Brighton actually sell which allows them to buy more. Palace have a terrible selling record, players like Zaha when offered 70m by Arsenal was rejected.

Since then Zaha's price has never been more than 20m.
But they would have wasted the 70m anyways. Proof being their dismal transfer record.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But they spent bugger all in the years preceding that spending. Pretty much nothing spent years in a row. Then they suddenly come out spending 20 million on players but when you have been as inactive as they have in the market over the years they probably don't have the cutting edge in terms of recruitment. I'd imagine they're also fairly low on the wages front. So I'm not really sure what can be expected of Palace as a football club all things considered.
Well, people are arguing a reason Palace haven’t won is because they’ve had a tough run but at the same time we (Everton) have beaten Arsenal, Bournemouth have beaten Liverpool etc. There are a bunch of examples of other teams around them winning against better sides so you can’t keep using that excuse. Plus, they’ve looked really really bad recently. Mid-table with their investment and the size of the club is roughly where they should be, yeah, but they’re going backwards currently, both in the table and in terms of performances.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It is imo, especially when you look at Leicester and West Ham and their managers haven’t been sacked
Yeah but the fans of those clubs are absolutely livid about that, especially Leicester fans. They have been wanting Rodgers sacked for a long time now and seeing Palace, who are above them in the table, sack Vieira will enrage them even more.

OleGunnar20

Is Edouard not good enough then or has he not been given a fair chance? I thought he looked great at Celtic and would do well at Palace.

Mateta is dreadful though, no doubt.

Surely something like this would be more than good enough for mid table:

Edouard
Zaha - Eze - Olise

With a solid foundation behind them. I really don't think their squad is bad at all on the face of it.

PSV

Their games so far in 2023:

Home: Spurs, Man Utd, Newcastle, Brighton, Liverpool, Man City.
Away: Chelsea, Man Utd, Brentford, Aston Villa, Brighton

5 out of 33 points isn't that bad if you look at it isolated.

Results vs a regularly used survival model for 40 points: (Win vs bottom half at home (27), draw vs bottom half away (9) and teams outside top six at home (4)):

TeamHomeAwayExpected Ptsvs. model
Arsenal0-219/030/0-
Man City0-12-40/0-
Man Utd1-11-21/0+1
Spurs0-406/050/0-
Newcastle0-00-02/0+2
Liverpool0-01-12/0+2
Brighton1-10-11/1-
Brentford1-11-12/1+1
Fulham0-320/050/1-1
Chelsea1-20-10/1-1
Aston Villa3-10-13/4-1
PALACE----
Wolves2-125/043/3-
Forest28/050-10/1-1
Everton22/040-30/1-1
Leicester01/040-01/1-
West Ham29/042-13/1+2
Bournemouth13/052-03/1+2
Leeds2-108/043/3-
Southampton1-015/043/3-
27/22+5

Of course their ambitions may be more than just survival, but even with their results this season so far you'd expect them to end up in the 45-50 points range.

I think they should have waited until after the Southampton game. They could just as well get the opposite of a bounce because of this.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Their games so far in 2023:

Home: Spurs, Newcastle, Brighton, Liverpool, Man City.
Away: Chelsea, Man Utd, Brentford, Aston Villa, Brighton

4 out of 30 points isn't that bad if you look at it isolated.

Results vs a regularly used survival model for 40 points: (Win vs bottom half at home (27), draw vs bottom half away (9) and teams outside top six at home (4)):

TeamHomeAwayExpected Ptsvs. model
Arsenal0-219/030/0-
Man City0-12-40/0-
Man Utd1-11-21/0+1
Spurs0-406/050/0-
Newcastle0-00-02/0+2
Liverpool0-01-12/0+2
Brighton1-10-11/1-
Brentford1-11-12/1+1
Fulham0-320/050/1-1
Chelsea1-20-10/1-1
Aston Villa3-10-13/4-1
PALACE----
Wolves2-125/043/3-
Forest28/050-10/1-1
Everton22/040-30/1-1
Leicester01/040-01/1-
West Ham29/042-13/1+2
Bournemouth13/052-03/1+2
Leeds2-108/043/3-
Southampton1-015/043/3-
27/22+5

Of course their ambitions may be more than just survival, but even with their results this season so far you'd expect them to end up in the 45-50 points range.

I think they should have waited until after the Southampton game. They could just as well get the opposite of a bounce because of this.
It is shit. It can be unexpected to pick up points but still be shit. Especially when you look at the performances in some/most of those games.

Oranges038

Yes, unfortunately.. I think he's a pretty cool guy very impressive with his manner and considerations post-match etc... but I do question his management instinct, because you could see Palace were (are) struggling and all of these 'ball players, none of them were goalscorers (this was highlighted in another thread earlier this week...) Palace have their No 9 heroes, Wright/Bright, to Andy Johnson, to Glenn Murray... I think this 'false 9' only works with teams packed with v v special midfielders and attackers, and outstanding managers who have experience of playing this way. Palace don't ever look like scoring and Patrick Viera should have addressed that months ago. I don't know why managers seem reluctant to just focus on some forwards who only want to score goals.
He's bought strikers. But they're either not good enough or not suited to his style. Think they got caught up with being more focused on the more possession based style and being easier on the eye. Between the boxes they were good and played some nice football.

To me Zaha, Olise and Eze are good attacking players, better than most in the bottom half of the league. But they are better served playing counter attacking football, they aren't the type to work positions and break teams down when they have players behind the ball.

Dazzmondo

I think this is really harsh tbh. I know they're in horrible form, but they have had a really terrible run of fixtures and their squad is one of the weakest in the PL imo. They have a few really talented individuals like Zaha, Olise, Andersen and Guehi but most of the rest are closer to Championship quality imo and the biggest issue is they don't have a striker they can rely on. I'm interested to see if they really improve under a new manager, especially since they now have a relatively easy run of fixtures (after Arsenal) between now and end of season.

EDIT: After looking at the Palace forum, the vast majority of their fans seem to agree

Last edited:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
They’ve spent 100-150m over two seasons with little incoming.
this is the first time I’ve ever seen Palace called big spenders, we’ve spent less than Forest did this summer in our ten years in the PL. £80m was spent in one window replacing 10 out of contact players, other than that we have been underinvested in for many years. We haven’t even signed an AWB replacement yet and we sold him 3 years ago.

We most definitely miss Gallagher and our boardroom’s a mess. But that doesn’t give PV a free pass. I am sad it didn’t work out but I hope the new Manager can bring some fresh attacking ideas. There is enough quality in the squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
this is the first time I’ve ever seen Palace called big spenders, we’ve spent less than Forest did this summer in our ten years in the PL. £80m was spent in one window replacing 10 out of contact players, other than that we have been underinvested in for many years. We haven’t even signed an AWB replacement yet and we sold him 3 years ago.

We most definitely miss Gallagher and our boardroom’s a mess. But that doesn’t give PV a free pass. I am sad it didn’t work out but I hope the new Manager can bring some fresh attacking ideas. There is enough quality in the squad.
I mean, I didn’t say you were big spenders. I just disagree with the claim that investment hasn’t been good enough. The money you’ve spent is enough to be doing better than you have been this season.