Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Absurd statements from Parish. If everyone loves Vieira so much, why did you sack him?And if "fresh ideas" is what you need, why are you appointing Hodgson?
Lampard was one of our most likeable managers we have had since Moyes but results weren’t good enough. You can be a really good person/have a good relationship with everyone but it is results that matter…

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Absurd statements from Parish. If everyone loves Vieira so much, why did you sack him?And if "fresh ideas" is what you need, why are you appointing Hodgson?
It's the ultimate insult for Vieira. He's sacked because his ideas are more outdated than a Triceratop

Giggsyking

I do not feel sorry for them after the Casemiro red card. I wish they get relegated and if they stay up I hope Carrick do not take the job in the summer.

Oranges038

Somehow this feels like a parody of a chairperson giving a post manager-sacking interview from his car.

I'll never understand these car window interviews. He basically just gave a list of reasons not to sack him bit they did it anyway.

One way to turn the players on the club is to sack a manager they seem to actually like for made up reasons that he won't explain.

justsomebloke

Lampard was one of our most likeable managers we have had since Moyes but results weren’t good enough. You can be a really good person/have a good relationship with everyone but it is results that matter…
Yes of course, but you need some kind of rationale why the manager is the problem, and what you get by exchanging him with someone else. And there is none. That is, there's the "need some fresh ideas" thing, but that is then immediately ridiculed by their intention of turning to Roy Hodgson, surely the obvious exact opposite of "fresh ideas".

Anyway, Palace's results hardly provide an obvious rationale for sacking Vieira. They're 12th, and season taken as a whole they have if anything overachieved, given that they arguably have a weaker squad than they did last year. Also, one that imposes some hefty limitations on the possibility to implement the sort of style Vieira wants to play, he has practically no creativity in central midfield or from the FBs. True, they haven't won since new year's eve, but then that's not really surprising given the opposition they've faced. They've not had a single fixture this year that you could reasonably expect them to win.

In short; sacking Vieira doesn't seem very well-considered to me, and replacing him with Hodgson seems downright stupid.

Mou Mou Land

This will start up the 'black managers discriminated against' debate again. We will again have the usual couple of suspects dragged up with the questioning of why Ince and Barnes never made it into higher manager positions [with insinuations that it is down to race and lack of opportunity], and not the fact they were both crap when given the chance.

No one has the balls to say that higher profile ex players as a whole rarely make the transition to effective managers. The good managers tend to come from the 'second rate' stock of footballers, if they actually make it at all.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
This will start up the 'black managers discriminated against' debate again. We will again have the usual couple of suspects dragged up with the questioning of why Ince and Barnes never made it into higher manager positions [with insinuations that it is down to race and lack of opportunity], and not the fact they were both crap when given the chance.

No one has the balls to say that higher profile ex players as a whole rarely make the transition to effective managers. The good managers tend to come from the 'second rate' stock of footballers, if they actually make it at all.
And there are no black 'second rate' stock of footballers?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

What a load of nonsensical garbage.

Almost impressive in how little sense it makes.

Brophs

The One and Only

Neither the hero we want nor the hero we need.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I do not feel sorry for them after the Casemiro red card. I wish they get relegated and if they stay up I hope Carrick do not take the job in the summer.
Why ? that was Casemiro's fault. :lol:

I don't mind Palace. They give us decent games and could never forget Crystanbul.

Mou Mou Land

Why ? that was Casemiro's fault. :lol:

I don't mind Palace. They give us decent games and could never forget Crystanbul.
I have always had a natural antipathy to Palace, but I get over it by remembering just that. There is always the 4-3 semi final too, which always entertains.

Abraxas

Yeah, because you look a lot better reappointing Roy Hodgson.:)
Haha, well yeah... there's that.

I was meaning the perception of the board towards the manager rather than the outside view on the club. Obviously appointing Roy looks quite ridiculous.

It seems like in the longer view Vieira has done okay, and they even said themselves 12th last season was respectable and they're the same now . The problem is the perception he's giving of a manager that can't find solutions. Can't buy a goal. And ultimately these things are exactly why clubs bank on a short term bounce I guess.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
That’s me done, got no words. Get in the bin Palace, seriously.

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Some of those Palace players must be laughing when they see him coming through the door for the 37th time. Like he never left :lol:

KeanoMagicHat

They’re 12th so they have sacked Vieira to get the man that got them 12th to 15th over several seasons. Makes sense.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Roy Hodgson at Palace and Ryan Mason at Spurs till the end of the season? :lol:

The state of some clubs! Just waiting for Wreck-It Ralf to rock up at the Olympic Stadium next.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Roy will take them down. He struggled at watford and looked out of his depth. He should have stayed well away but I guess a little more in the pension wouldn’t hurt.

frostbite

Viera should become a pundit, duet with Keane, it will be a lot of fun!