Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’ll be sacked by December. Awful appointment. Weren’t nuno close to going to these and Everton but ended up at none

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is he the first black manager in the Premier League? Delighted for him.
No. Chris Hughton, Paul Ince, Jean Tigana and some others I’m forgetting. Forgot the guys name who managed Wolves for a bit

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
The club found out Roy was off in February, this feels like a panic appointment to me having exhausted all other options. Really, really disappointed...but will back him as I do every Manager.

Zoo

Just going off his punditry appearances on ITV I would not be inspired if I was a Palace fan.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just going off his punditry appearances on ITV I would not be inspired if I was a Palace fan.
or his cv as a manager

Lampard would have been better IMO

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The club found out Roy was off in February, this feels like a panic appointment to me having exhausted all other options. Really, really disappointed...but will back him as I do every Manager.
What is the squad looking like in terms of renewals and the contract situations? Who is staying?

At the very least, he is probably very well connected from his post-football jobs and can get in a few decent loans.

FatTails

Don’t know much about him as a manager, but I see the oracles of RedCafe have all decided already that he’s going to be terrible :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
Other than his name, there’s no reason for him to have gotten this job.

pastyfool

Is he the first black manager in the Premier League? Delighted for him.
Here is a list that I found of black/mixed-race Premier League mangers:

Ruud Gullit
Chelsea, Newcastle United

Chris Hughton
Tottenham (caretaker), Newcastle United, Norwich City, Brighton

Jean Tigana
Fulham

Paul Ince
Blackburn Rovers

Ryan Giggs
Manchester United (caretaker)

Darren Moore
West Brom

Terry Connor
Wolves (caretaker)

Nuno Espirito Santo
Wolves (looking like Spurs)

Hayden Mullins
Watford (caretaker) only managed them for two games

Chris Ramsey
QPR

redrobed

I’m just going to say it - I hope he fails. He was always horrible to our players. Always ran scared from Keano though.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Ruud Gullit was the first, still not great that Vieira just about leaves you out of fingers to count on after 30 years, if you include caretakers.
Yeah, Gullit at Chelsea is my first memory of a black PL manager. When was that? 96?

As for Palace, very surprised they didn't go for Lampard once they couldn't get Favre. Although Lampard wasn't cut out for top end management he did well with the young players in his first season at Chelsea. Something that Palace may be looking to do next year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Odd. Has he done a good job anywhere in his management career?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hopefully for Palace's sake this appointment works better than the last time they went for a non British manager.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Would be a good deal if his first business was to come in & take Saliba on loan....& maybe buy Maitland-Niles & Nketiah while he's at it.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Eddie Howe would have been a great fit for Palace.
He fecked them over in the past. Also, is he really as amazing as some people believe...

I like Vieira getting a job in the Prem. Hope it happens.

dinostar77

This appointment suprised me. Seeing that Palace need to go through a transition and get rid of alot of old experienced players out of contract, vieira doesnt strike me as the manager to oversee this. But what do I know, he could be great.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Don’t know much about him as a manager, but I see the oracles of RedCafe have all decided already that he’s going to be terrible :lol:
Yeah, it's weird. @JPRouve even pointed out that Vieira did quite alright at Nice, but it seems people are simply ignoring that. I wonder what they think Palace needs instead. Sounds like only a defensive old-school guy could do the job in many people's eyes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, it's weird. @JPRouve even pointed out that Vieira did quite alright at Nice, but it seems people are simply ignoring that. I wonder what they think Palace needs instead. Sounds like only a defensive old-school guy could do the job in many people's eyes.
If they are looking for a defensive guy, I seem to remember that Nice were defensive and absolutely dull. He did better than Favre's last season but it wasn't pretty.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If they are looking for a defensive guy, I seem to remember that Nice were defensive and absolutely dull. He did better than Favre's last season but it wasn't pretty.
Ha - then now I'm really curious what everyone who's thinking that he'll sink Palace assume he's missing, and who they'd suggest instead!

JPRouve

Scout
Also I'm not endorsing Vieira, I find him uninspiring but his limited experience doesn't clearly put him in bad or good box.

FatTails

It’s very hard for people to say “I have no idea”. Must have an opinion on every topic.

Good luck to him. I’m starting to feel old with the players I watched closely growing up all becoming managers (Gattuso, Zidane, Porto, Ole, Viera, Giggsy…). At least Roy Hodgson made me feel young :nervous:

JPRouve

Scout
@JPRouve what was his style of football at Nice
Conservative, defense first. To be honest I didn't like it at all and tried to avoid watching them as much as possible. He seemed to like 3 man defenses but eventually settled with a defensive 433.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Conservative, defense first. To be honest I didn't like it at all and tried to avoid watching them as much as possible. He seemed to like 3 man defenses but eventually settled with a defensive 433.
Thanks for this. Would it be fair to say he was similar to Deschamps in this respect?

Did his side look well drilled? Or rely on individual moments.