Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Thanks for this. Would it be fair to say he was similar to Deschamps in this respect?

Did his side look well drilled? Or rely on individual moments.
Deschamps is pragmatic and has shown that he can organize his team offensively and defensively, his second season with Monaco he had the best attack in the league. Until proven otherwise Vieira is defensive, like the caricature of italian football but it could be due to circumstances that's why I don't want to put him in a box.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
They need to get this appointment right, having already tried the foreign manager route in De Boer before giving him the boot after what 4 games? Can't be many shithouse dinosaur types left to turn to off the merry go round either now they've tried them all.. Pulis, Allardyce, Warnock, Pardew, Hodgson etc. Don't want to see any of them stinking up the scene around Christmas.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Had a couple of days to digest this and although I am still a bit disappointed, I am warming to it. Lampard seemed the obvious candidate but Vieira has significantly more coaching experience than Frank having had roles at the Man City academy, Nice and in the US. I am also pleased to read that he is pragmatic in his approach, Frank hasn’t shown an ability to organise a defence at either club he’s been at and that is not a trait a club like Palace should be looking for.

Bit of talk that we will have around £80m to spend and this is probably a good time to raid the French market, hopefully he’ll help attract some good players.

dal

Wow he fail badly and you can print that.

choccy77

I would say Palace are going to be Favourites for relegation with this appointment and so many players out of contract plus Zaha possibly leaving.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Had a couple of days to digest this and although I am still a bit disappointed, I am warming to it. Lampard seemed the obvious candidate but Vieira has significantly more coaching experience than Frank having had roles at the Man City academy, Nice and in the US. I am also pleased to read that he is pragmatic in his approach, Frank hasn’t shown an ability to organise a defence at either club he’s been at and that is not a trait a club like Palace should be looking for.

Bit of talk that we will have around £80m to spend and this is probably a good time to raid the French market, hopefully he’ll help attract some good players.
I hope he does well for obvious reasons, and given the squad rebuild needed, I wonder I'd we have a few players that might interest him, either permanent deals or loans. Guys like Saliba, Maitland-Niles, Nelson or Nketiah might bring some more youth & energy to the team.

Last edited:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I hope he does well for obvious reasons, and given the squad rebuild needed, I wonder I'd we have a few players that might interest him, either permanent deals or loans. Guys like Saliba, Maitland-Niles, Nelson or Nketiah might bring some more youth & energy to the team.
I did wonder that but then figured his comments about that Spotify fella taking over might result in Kroenke telling him to F.O. I’d take all four of those tbh though!

cyberman

Horrendous signing. If only because Arteta is gone soon and if he is a success he is straight down to the Emirates anyway. Theres no way Palace wins here.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think they deserve credit for taking a chance on a young manager and not one of the same old faces. If they’d just gone for Pulis for example they’d be getting shit from everywhere as well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Old enemy but he comes across as a decent guy. Interested to see how this develops throughout the campaign.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Read somewhere that Real Madrid wouldn’t sign him as a player because he had a soft handshake. Good luck to him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He seems like such a soft spoken guy and it’s going to be a hard job getting those lads motivated every week. I’m sure he’ll probably have a few French gems up his sleeve if the club back him but will there be enough time for him to develop them?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I would say Palace are going to be Favourites for relegation with this appointment and so many players out of contract plus Zaha possibly leaving.
For me the time is right to cash in on Zaha & reinvest in some young players.

Hughes35

He seems an ok guy and I hope he does well.

Such a hard job though and I would be surprised if he makes a success of it.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Is it really THAT hard a job though? I keep hearing it is but by all accounts we have money to bring in five or six players and I expect Ward, Cahill, and Townsend to sign new deals, also Clyne if he’ll accept a lower salary. Everyone keeps banging on about the contract situation but looking at it aside from those four it’s:

Brandon Aveiro, Lewis Bryon, Scott Dann, Kian Flanagan, Kevin Gonzalez, Harlem Hale, Stephen Henderson, Wayne Hennessey, Lewis Hobbs, Rohan Luthra, Alfie Matthews, James McCarthy, Jacob Russell, Jude Russell, Mamadou Sakho, Patrick van Aanholt, Connor Wickham, Samuel Woods.

Sakho and Van Aanholt are on the way down and both have lost their places and are on big wages. Who else would we miss from that lot? I’d suggest none of them, we’ll be far better off with the new players competing for the matchday squad.

I think it’s a cracking opportunity personally, especially with our promising academy sides (but I’m biased).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Reading up on his career so far led Nice to 7th in his first full season,plays quite defensive first counter football which will suit the Palace players and is quite good tactically for the stage of his career he's at. So it's not really close to the 180 they were attempting appointing De Boer.

I'm going to break away from the party line and say he will do quite well.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Is it really THAT hard a job though? I keep hearing it is but by all accounts we have money to bring in five or six players and I expect Ward, Cahill, and Townsend to sign new deals, also Clyne if he’ll accept a lower salary. Everyone keeps banging on about the contract situation but looking at it aside from those four it’s:

Brandon Aveiro, Lewis Bryon, Scott Dann, Kian Flanagan, Kevin Gonzalez, Harlem Hale, Stephen Henderson, Wayne Hennessey, Lewis Hobbs, Rohan Luthra, Alfie Matthews, James McCarthy, Jacob Russell, Jude Russell, Mamadou Sakho, Patrick van Aanholt, Connor Wickham, Samuel Woods.

Sakho and Van Aanholt are on the way down and both have lost their places and are on big wages. Who else would we miss from that lot? I’d suggest none of them, we’ll be far better off with the new players competing for the matchday squad.

I think it’s a cracking opportunity personally, especially with our promising academy sides (but I’m biased).
Well, yes. Frankly it’s going to be a very tough job for even an experienced manager. Here’s 8 reasons I can think of right now. I think he will struggle and be gone by Christmas and you will get relegated with Andy Boothroyd, Malky Mackay or some other second rate British manager in charge.
  1. Your squad was 17th for average age.
  2. Your squad depth is low (more so now)
  3. Your squad quality isn’t that high.
  4. A lot of contract negotiations need to take place.
  5. Your manager is in his 3rd first team position.
  6. You’ll struggle to recruit good players
  7. You’ll probably battle relegation next year
  8. Your side lacks goal

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Well, yes. Frankly it’s going to be a very tough job for even an experienced manager. Here’s 8 reasons I can think of right now. I think he will struggle and be gone by Christmas and you will get relegated with Andy Boothroyd, Malky Mackay or some other second rate British manager in charge.
  1. Your squad was 17th for average age.
  2. Your squad depth is low (more so now)
  3. Your squad quality isn’t that high.
  4. A lot of contract negotiations need to take place.
  5. Your manager is in his 3rd first team position.
  6. You’ll struggle to recruit good players
  7. You’ll probably battle relegation next year
  8. Your side lacks goal
To temper that, we only need to be better than 3 other teams. I guess it’s a pretty pointless discussion until we know how the squad’s shaping up tbf. Rumours tonight we are about to sign Michael Olise which would be a very good start.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
To temper that, we only need to be better than 3 other teams. I guess it’s a pretty pointless discussion until we know how the squad’s shaping up tbf. Rumours tonight we are about to sign Michael Olise which would be a very good start.
That would be a really exciting signing! I mentioned his release clause in a post earlier this year, but wasn’t sure if it was true. Bargain.