Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
To temper that, we only need to be better than 3 other teams. I guess it’s a pretty pointless discussion until we know how the squad’s shaping up tbf. Rumours tonight we are about to sign Michael Olise which would be a very good start.
I think most sides would have a striker that could get 10-15 goals and it’s hard to see where the goals come from in Palace’s side.

I know as a supporter it’s probably hard to hear, but it’s a championship side bar Zaha and Eze and a manager coming in who has no experience in the Premier League with one of the worst sides quality wise in that league.

It’s the old cliche, but you really do need 3-4 players to have an eleven that would give him enough quality to call it a PL level side.

I think Roy’s work there has been underestimated, but he has so little to work with and kept them really steady.

It will all depend on who Vieira’s contacts in the game can help him get in because I don’t think their squad, as it stands, stays up unless the three promotion teams are useless.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I think most sides would have a striker that could get 10-15 goals and it’s hard to see where the goals come from in Palace’s side.

I know as a supporter it’s probably hard to hear, but it’s a championship side bar Zaha and Eze and a manager coming in who has no experience in the Premier League with one of the worst sides quality wise in that league.

It’s the old cliche, but you really do need 3-4 players to have an eleven that would give him enough quality to call it a PL level side.

I think Roy’s work there has been underestimated, but he has so little to work with and kept them really steady.

It will all depend on who Vieira’s contacts in the game can help him get in because I don’t think their squad, as it stands, stays up unless the three promotion teams are useless.
With respect your post sounds like something a top six supporter that doesn’t know much about football outside of that just rolls out because Eze and Zaha are the only players they see dribble past a couple of people on MOTD. Players like James Tomkins and James McArthur aren’t flashy but are PL players all day long. We also literally have a striker who scored 10 goals last season too.

What I do agree on is that Vieira’s book of contacts could be very useful. Olise could be a very good start for us…Olise Eze and Zaha behind Benteke will be a handful for anyone and from what I’m hearing there are plenty more signings on the way.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Reading up on his career so far led Nice to 7th in his first full season,plays quite defensive first counter football which will suit the Palace players and is quite good tactically for the stage of his career he's at. So it's not really close to the 180 they were attempting appointing De Boer.

I'm going to break away from the party line and say he will do quite well.
Two of the players we’re apparently after are Gallagher and Guehi, one on loan and one permanent. How do you rate them?

Maluco

With respect your post sounds like something a top six supporter that doesn’t know much about football outside of that just rolls out because Eze and Zaha are the only players they see dribble past a couple of people on MOTD. Players like James Tomkins and James McArthur aren’t flashy but are PL players all day long. We also literally have a striker who scored 10 goals last season too.

What I do agree on is that Vieira’s book of contacts could be very useful. Olise could be a very good start for us…Olise Eze and Zaha behind Benteke will be a handful for anyone and from what I’m hearing there are plenty more signings on the way.
I watch quite a lot of football to be honest. Obviously I don’t watch Palace as much as you do, so I respect your opinion, but if you are naming Tomkins and McArthur as example after Eze and Zaha, surely that proves my point?

While they are perfectly functional players at this level, they are not standouts by any means. They are decent Premier league players. They could easily blend in as very good Championship players.

I think it’s perfectly fair to say there are no other standouts quality wise.

It wasn’t meant as an insult. There are a lot of very good players in the Championship. What I meant was, Palace’s current squad wouldn’t look out of place there. I think that is a fair enough statement.

But as you say, 3-4 signings that a figure like Vieira might bring in could change the look of the squad very quickly.

I think their season depends on this window.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Two of the players we’re apparently after are Gallagher and Guehi, one on loan and one permanent. How do you rate them?
Gallagher is a really versatile player, I was hoping he would stay as a 4th choice CM and attacking cover, he actually outperformed Mount statistically in terms of their numbers in the Championship.

Guehi is an impressive player, played against United in the cup a few years ago and dealt with Rashford well in general play (he scored twice but both were set pieces) but he has played a lot of his career (U18s and Swansea on loan) in a back three so hasn't really been tested in a back four over a long period of time (but if that game vs United is an accurate barometer then he'll have no problems adjusting).

Ludens the Red

To be fair to Palace they’ve finished mid table several seasons in a row now, comfortably avoiding relegation battles with pretty much the exact same squad. By virtue of that it cannot really be described as a “Championship side” barring Zaha and Eze.

Maluco

To be fair to Palace they’ve finished mid table several seasons in a row now, comfortably avoiding relegation battles with pretty much the exact same squad. By virtue of that it cannot really be described as a “Championship side” barring Zaha and Eze.
They have, yeah, but like I said above, I think the job Hodgson has done there has been underrated. It was similar to what he did at Fulham and West Brom.

I think he is still the only manager to keep West Brom in the PL for three consecutive seasons. That is the type of job he seems to excel at.

Palace have to back Vieira because I think Hodgson is very capable of making teams look better than they are and I still think it’s hard to argue that Palace don’t lack quality in the first team.

paulscholes18

Seems to know what he’s doing in the transfer window, signing the Championship young player of the year Micheal Olise, Marc Guehi who did well on loan at Swansea last season, and looks like Andersen is on the way their who was one of the best players who got relegated last season.

CM10

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out for Palace. It's a slightly risky strategy with their player turnover being as high as it is but they're long overdue a rebuild.

Olise looks a good bit of business for them, fairly low risk with potential to take off. With him, Guehi and Eze (once he's back from injury), there should be the foundations of a good young squad.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
I hope he succeeds but he really did not exactly go into a situation that is solid and predictable. Looks like a very very tough job to take on.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I hope he succeeds but he really did not exactly go into a situation that is solid and predictable. Looks like a very very tough job to take on.
It looks like Palace are going to provide Vieira with some good young players to get started. I would like to see him do well.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
It looks like Palace are going to provide Vieira with some good young players to get started. I would like to see him do well.
Yes, it does seem like it. But with good young players comes great inconsistency. Especially in a league as competitive as the PL. I really do fear it could get very ugly because of that, before he even has the chance to put his stamp on the team. But let's see. I suspect there are many managers who passed up this job exactly because of this.

Santos J

They've made some decent moves and seem to be linked with a few more but not sure it'll do much for Vieira, would be surprised if he lasts the season.

Cloud7

I commend any mid-lower table PL team that doesn’t go down the Pardew, Pulis, Moyes route. That sort of manager needs to die out.

Before anyone talks about Moyes and West ham I am 100% sure last season was an anomaly, like that one season he finished 4th with Everton, and this season will be a return to the usual.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Yes, it does seem like it. But with good young players comes great inconsistency. Especially in a league as competitive as the PL. I really do fear it could get very ugly because of that, before he even has the chance to put his stamp on the team. But let's see. I suspect there are many managers who passed up this job exactly because of this.
I agree that most established managers would avoid Palace at the moment. The club appear to view Premier league survival as their main goal. It will be interesting to see how much patience the club have if things don't go well.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I commend any mid-lower table PL team that doesn’t go down the Pardew, Pulis, Moyes route. That sort of manager needs to die out.

Before anyone talks about Moyes and West ham I am 100% sure last season was an anomaly, like that one season he finished 4th with Everton, and this season will be a return to the usual.
It does make me laugh that whenever a team actually do decide to veer away from those said safe options it's "too big a gamble, they're going down, should have stuck with Roy".

Walters_19_MuFc

Looks like he will get his first win today. Bought in some exciting players and his style of play seems to be a complete contrast to that of Hodgson's. Battered Spurs today. Be interesting to see what they can achieve this season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Looks like he will get his first win today. Bought in some exciting players and his style of play seems to be a complete contrast to that of Hodgson's. Battered Spurs today. Be interesting to see what they can achieve this season.
Did they though ? Up until the red card it was snooze fest. Agree, things were good after the red.

Still not convinced his style would be any better than Hodgson. At least Hodgson got results.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Getting his first win as a PL manager against Spurs will be sweet given his Arsenal past.

Did they though ? Up until the red card it was snooze fest. Agree, things were good after the red.

Still not convinced his style would be any better than Hodgson. At least Hodgson got results.
They were dominating before the red card, they were unlucky not to score in the first half.

Walters_19_MuFc

Before the red card, Spurs had 0 shots. Palace had 7. Spurs started well but Palace grew into the game.

Also, I never once mentioned his style would be ''better'' than Hodgson's. I said it's a complete contrast, in that it seems that Vieira wants to veer towards more a possession based style of football, whereas, Hogdson was very much a counter attacking manager.

Neither style is better than another, but ultimately, he will be judged on results and today he got a very good against a Spurs side who, before today, didn't lose.

Football heart

Supports
Football ( Real Madrid )
If palace continues to play the way they played today then Viera and Palace will be safe this season. Glad he got he's 1st win especially against a flukey Spurs side.

passing-wind

Looked a strong performance, no idea of Viera's management capabilities but it's a good result for palace. Next 10 or so games give a good indication about the success of their season.

::sonny::

Edouard a top finisher
Zaha a top player in premier league
Conor Gallagher I would try to sign him at any price

But they won today only for playing 11vs10

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So he isn’t Frank De Boer Mark II, who’d have thought…
Exciting times for you, Gallagher, Eze, Olise, Zaha & Edouard an exciting group going forward.

I like Anderson & Guehi at the back as well.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Am glad you mentioned Andersen and Guehi as they’re going to make a brilliant partnership, it feels like a massive upgrade from Cahill and Dann who, with all due respect to them, are at Bournemouth and Reading this season. We can immediately play 5 yards further forward and Andersen’s long diagonals are a major threat with Zaha back on the wing, they’re literally pinpoint time after time. Those two are an example of why all this talk about the players leaving in the summer was an absolute load of guff peddled out by people who didn’t really take the time to look at the situation. We’ve done some great business and as you say, that’s as exciting a front 5 on paper as there is outside the Top Eight.

Skeezix

It was against 10 men. But Liverpool couldn't break down a 10 man Chelsea. So Kudos there to Crystal Palace and Vieira

*Edit : and what a terrific performance from Zaha and cameo from Edouard

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Always thought Tomkins was a decent defender, am I wrong?
No you’re not wrong at all, he’s a good, solid PL defender but has his struggles with injury and is prone to missing 15-20 games a season unfortunately, he just can’t stay fit for an extended run. He’s also pretty average on the ball and I think PV wants a little more from the centre-backs in that regard. Great back-up to have though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
They were going to at least draw that game 11v11. I think they’d have knicked it either way. First time watching a full palace game this season. Gallagher looks to be a player going places. The pairing at the back look solid. Zaha looked lively again. Edouard looks like he can finish if he gets chances. Exiting times for the eagles.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
It was against 10 men. But Liverpool couldn't break down a 10 man Chelsea. So Kudos there to Crystal Palace and Vieira

*Edit : and what a terrific performance from Zaha and cameo from Edouard
Yeah no-one’s getting carried away, 12th-14th would still be a magnificent season let’s face it and Spurs were missing key players which helped, but what I will say as a supporter is that it’s bloody great to be on the front foot in games and going for the win even when it was 11v11, it wouldn’t have been the case under Roy. And we carried on going for it after we went 1-0 up as well, that definitely wouldn’t have been the case under Roy. Not to diminish what Roy did in any way, but there’s just a different feel about the place at the moment which is kinda exciting. Of course it could all go t*ts up, but I am enjoying what I’m seeing at the moment and am cautiously optimistic we’ll have a decent season.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
They actually look like they have had a great summer. Every player they've brought have seemed to improve them.

My concern for Palace before Edourd was goals, but if he can get them 15+ in the league, I can see the finishing in the top 10.

Biggest issue for them is Gallagher. If he keeps on playing like he is he is going to be a £50m+ player and most likely in the Chelsea squad next season. At best, maybe they get another loan.

OverratedOpinion

Once they get Eze back they could start to become one of the most interesting teams to watch in the country.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Once they get Eze back they could start to become one of the most interesting teams to watch in the country.
Should be back after the November international break so looking forward to that. Really hope Nathan Ferguson can get back playing in a similar timeframe too, looked another exceptional talent in The Championship. A progressive right-back will add a whole new dimension (as much as I love Wardy).