Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

OverratedOpinion

Should be back after the November international break so looking forward to that. Really hope Nathan Ferguson can get back playing in a similar timeframe too, looked another exceptional talent in The Championship. A progressive right-back will add a whole new dimension (as much as I love Wardy).
A women I work with knows Joel Ward and I recently met him at her wedding. I got lost coming back from the toilets and he guided me.

I am working on some type of joke about "great positional sense" or something like that for when I tell that story.

tomaldinho1

A women I work with knows Joel Ward and I recently met him at her wedding. I got lost coming back from the toilets and he guided me.

I am working on some type of joke about "great positional sense" or something like that for when I tell that story.
Moment's gone but I'd have gone with something terrible like 'thanks for being my ward when I was lost'
I'll see myself out

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Could have went with “you that guy that plays for Palace?”
Ward smiles “yeah”
You “you’re shit”

OverratedOpinion

Could have went with “you that guy that plays for Palace?”
Ward smiles “yeah”
You “you’re shit”
Probably would have probably added to the general jovial mood at the wedding after the groom's best friend had spent about an hour coming onto the bride. Missed a trick there.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
So...six games in and six points on the board. We have played Chelsea, Liverpool and West Ham away, Tottenham, Brentford and Brighton at home. I'd say all of those games have been tough ones given the form of the sides when we've played them and we have Leicester, Arsenal and City to come in the next 4. The fixtures computer really hasn't been kind to us so far.

Manner of the equaliser aside (Brighton owed us that after the Amex robbery last year to be fair but it was an awful goal to concede) I am really pleased with the way we're approaching games. I was looking at the stats of last season's 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park and Brighton had 66% possession and 20 shots compared to our 1 in that game. How quickly he's got us playing positive, press from the front football while still remaining relatively solid is really impressive actually. I was devastated when our deal for Nuno fell through but looking at it now I am so pleased it did.

Yes we have limitations, everyone knows that. Ayew needs to be phased out, we could do with an upgrade at right-back, we need more goals. But seeing us take the game to a good footballing side in Brighton gives me a lot of optimism for the future.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So...six games in and six points on the board. We have played Chelsea, Liverpool and West Ham away, Tottenham, Brentford and Brighton at home. I'd say all of those games have been tough ones given the form of the sides when we've played them and we have Leicester, Arsenal and City to come in the next 4. The fixtures computer really hasn't been kind to us so far.

Manner of the equaliser aside (Brighton owed us that after the Amex robbery last year to be fair but it was an awful goal to concede) I am really pleased with the way we're approaching games. I was looking at the stats of last season's 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park and Brighton had 66% possession and 20 shots compared to our 1 in that game. How quickly he's got us playing positive, press from the front football while still remaining relatively solid is really impressive actually. I was devastated when our deal for Nuno fell through but looking at it now I am so pleased it did.

Yes we have limitations, everyone knows that. Ayew needs to be phased out, we could do with an upgrade at right-back, we need more goals. But seeing us take the game to a good footballing side in Brighton gives me a lot of optimism for the future.
Ayew is an extremely annoying and frustrating player tbh. He's been like that his entire career

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Definitely, there's room for Ayew as a squad player don't get me wrong...he works exceptionally hard, presses well, protects the ball as well as I've seen anyone do it and wins us a lot of free-kicks. But unfortunately you can't really get past the fact that he has the footballing IQ of a plank of wood. He's the perfect player to bring on at 80 minutes when you're 1-0 up and looking for someone to relieve the pressure but he should not be starting games still, 1 goal in the last 49 is testament to that. If Olise was fit from the start of the season I've got no doubt he'd be starting on the right for us at the moment but he's still getting back up to speed after a back injury and last night probably wasn't a game to start him in (though he should definitely have come on instead of Schlupp).

As long as we can turn good performances in to results soon then I'm looking forward to seeing where the next 2 or 3 transfer windows take us as we phase out the Ayews, Kouyates and Wards and replace them with similar profile players to what we signed this summer.

RooneyLegend

He's doing a good job, he has a modern approach while keeping the pragmatism you need when coaching a side of such meagre talent.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
meagre talent...bit harsh :D Problem is getting all of our talent on the pitch at the same time...Zaha, Gallagher, Olise, Eze and Edouard is a strong attacking group for a bottom half side once they're all fit. Meagre in comparison to Utd I'll accept though...

Skills

Snitch
He's made them a lot less dependent on Zaha. They're moving the ball quite well - and finding themselves in some really good positions.

How well did he do prior to Palace? For anyone who's been following him

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Almost universally written off in this thread before a ball had been kicked.

It looks like he's turning Palace for the better, just a question of whether he can maintain if for a whole campaign now.

Pickle85

Thought he'd be the first manager sacked thus season but he's doing a really good job there.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Glad to see he's doing well. Down with the old guard.
Best thing he's doing is modernising the club and how they approach the game. It'll be quite something if he can maintain it. Just because you're a lower-end PL club, it shouldn't mean your every game should be plucky underdogs do good and he's proving that.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Connor Gallagher has been brilliant for them, would love to see his running stats, seems to be everywhere!

Pep's Suit

What a surprise! So happy Vieira is doing well with Palace. If he can finish in Top10 or at least Top12 this season and the next then I can see him replace Pep. Right now it should be Ten Haag or Luis Enrique but then it's very open and Vieira was a part of CFG for 9 years or so.

Rockets Redglare

I genuinely expected him to be the first sacked this season. He’s doing a good job and they’re playing some decent football as well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Favourite for the sack on here. By me too probably but he’s done really well. Should have more points too

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I honestly think Utd should go in hard for Viera.

He’s a fecking great manager. It’d piss off Citeh and Arse, and would be a final, decisive nail in the coffin of all the old boy bullshit that is genuinely ruining Utd.

It’d free Utd from the past, while also getting a brilliant manager.

Also, if Utd went for him now, he’d have to take it. Leave it for a year or two and he’ll go elsewhere.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Doing a brilliant job. Its not like they are defensive and getting points by luck. They are playing proper football. Presses high and have some flair players to play good fluid football too.

Too early to make any jump and he isn't going to leave Palace now. But definitely one to keep an eye on.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Tipped them for relegation, mind you I suppose they still could although he and they have made an impressive start.

In my defence we were invited to give a prediction on the thread in question and said nothing about having to know what you're talking about! I saw some basic parallels with Fulham of last season. The not-so recently retired midfielder in charge of a team who have a few players previously relegated or had done well in the Championship. Lazy? Of course!

Also had it in my head for a long time that they might be a good bet for the drop just because they had a load of players out of contract and thought it could destabilise them. Was thinking they might go down when I learned that halfway through last season whoever the manager might be.

Suppose one could point out that the only games they've won have seen the opponents go down to 10 men, but then they haven't exactly lost many and should probably have won outside of those games too. That's one thing they do have in common with Fulham of last season so far, they played well for a period where they drew loads and had difficulty scoring as many as they might have felt they deserved to at times.

Last edited:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Ebere Eze played 60 minutes in an Under 23 friendly yesterday which gives Patrick an exceptionally nice problem to have in the next few weeks; how do you fit Zaha, Edouard, Olise, Gallagher and Eze in to a balanced eleven? Looking forward to seeing how he handles it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ebere Eze played 60 minutes in an Under 23 friendly yesterday which gives Patrick an exceptionally nice problem to have in the next few weeks; how do you fit Zaha, Edouard, Olise, Gallagher and Eze in to a balanced eleven? Looking forward to seeing how he handles it.
The diamond potentially with the former two up top?

If he can find a way you should be pushing Europe on paper.

pascell

I'll be honest and hold my hands up, when Amad was linked with a loan to Palace, I thought it'd be a bad move as Vieira would be first to get sacked this season. I was completely wrong, he's got them playing progressive football, in a short space of time too, which is putting his name out there for the big clubs.

Oranges038

Thought he'd be the first one sacked.

Doing good so far. But they've only one 2 games and drawn 6. Needs to start turning them into a few wins, they could very easily start becoming defeats especially over December and into the new year.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Really pleased for him. He is a competitor but he doesn't lash out. I wish him the best. Palace should have more points than they do now and they are entertaining to watch.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Had no real idea about him or his managerial style before he joined, I just felt he'd struggle ater the gap left by Hodgson, but it seems like getting things shaken up, and a bit of a fresh start, has done a lot of good. He's doing great so far but still early days.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Thought he'd be the first one sacked.

Doing good so far. But they've only one 2 games and drawn 6. Needs to start turning them into a few wins, they could very easily start becoming defeats especially over December and into the new year.
I agree it's all about converting performances in to wins for us, that's ultimately what matters. On the other hand we're +6 points on the same fixtures from last season and now we have a sequence of much more winnable games on the horizon having already played 7 of last season's top 8. From what I have seen we don't need to fear anyone and I am confident the results will come.