Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Has Will Hughes featured yet, what's the plan for him
Nope, didn't have a preseason at Watford and then picked up a back injury a couple of weeks ago so is still working his way towards fitness. He'll have a job to get in with Gallagher and McArthur playing so well though, I expect he'll be rotated in to the holding role along with Luka and Kouyate depending on the opposition or backing up the other two if they get injured. Suddenly got a crazy amount of options which is great.

Walters_19_MuFc

Transformed a team who played a completely contrasting game and is getting good performances and results from it.

He indentified the players he wanted, the system he wants to play and the style, and so far, he's delivering.

Hats off to you Vieira!

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Transformed a team who played a completely contrasting game and is getting good performances and results from it.

He indentified the players he wanted, the system he wants to play and the style, and so far, he's delivering.

Hats off to you Vieira!
What a man. I had a baby late last year so I didn’t renew my season ticket this season…don’t get me wrong I love spending time with my daughter but damn do I wish I had renewed after enduring the Roy years :lol:

My favourite thing about Patrick so far is just the man himself, for all he’s achieved he’s humble, level-headed, compassionate and a winner. That is rubbing off on the players.

It’s interesting you mention him identifying the players though and I have to correct you there. Our Director of Football is the man responsible for that and the deals we did were being worked on for months, way before PV arrived. While the world flapped about our contracts situation he was out there calmly laying the groundwork for this team. Who is the DoF I hear you cry? It’s only club legend and scorer of 95 goals for Palace, Dougie Freedman. While Manager Dougie also built our promotion team by signing the likes of Ward, Delaney, Jedinak, Bolasie and Glenn Murray for buttons. As much as PV is getting the credit, hats off to Dougie as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

What a man. I had a baby late last year so I didn’t renew my season ticket this season…don’t get me wrong I love spending time with my daughter but damn do I wish I had renewed after enduring the Roy years :lol:

My favourite thing about Patrick so far is just the man himself, for all he’s achieved he’s humble, level-headed, compassionate and a winner. That is rubbing off on the players.

It’s interesting you mention him identifying the players though and I have to correct you there. Our Director of Football is the man responsible for that and the deals we did were being worked on for months, way before PV arrived. While the world flapped about our contracts situation he was out there calmly laying the groundwork for this team. Who is the DoF I hear you cry? It’s only club legend and scorer of 95 goals for Palace, Dougie Freedman. While Manager Dougie also built our promotion team by signing the likes of Ward, Delaney, Jedinak, Bolasie and Glenn Murray for buttons. As much as PV is getting the credit, hats off to Dougie as well.
Yeah hats off to him too but was he there under Hogdson?

Also want to add that, you said deals were done before PV arrival. Surely he'd have had some say over the players. If not, then extra credit to him for working with the players he was given. Good signings but ultimately, its a managers job to get the players performing and he's certainly doing that so far.

Skills

Snitch
Was listening to the TIFO podcast, and they mentioned he was a pretty big part of the City groups set up. So they're not surprised he's managed to go and change Palace, because he gained years of experience and a fundamental understanding of the type of players you need to play modern football.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Yeah hats off to him too but was he there under Hogdson?

Also want to add that, you said deals were done before PV arrival. Surely he'd have had some say over the players. If not, then extra credit to him for working with the players he was given. Good signings but ultimately, its a managers job to get the players performing and he's certainly doing that so far.
Yeah Dougie was there when Roy was but the budget to sign players wasn’t, our net spend was something like £8m a season prior to this summer. The signings he has made like Ayew and Kouyate are far from spectacular but have all contributed, Ayew scored 10 goals in his first season and cost us £2.5m. Gauita was signed for free and just set a new clean sheets record for us in the PL today. There are some duds like Max Meyer but in the main they have all worked out.

The first time the purse strings were really loosened was when we bought Eze and he himself said Dougie was an important factor in him joining due to the vision Dougie had for the club. This summer he’s actually had a proper budget to work with and IMO has spent it brilliantly.

That’s obviously not to diminish the job Vieira’s doing, he’s an absolute breath of fresh air.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Low-key doing a great job our Patrick, we were exceptional first half yesterday and could easily have gone in 3 or 4 up. Top ten (right now at least), playing positive stuff, young exciting team, one game from Wembley in the FA Cup…hard to ask for much more from him given the magnitude of the task when he walked through the door.

Our summer recruitment was also exceptional by the way, every single signing has been a huge hit; Guehi and Olise in particular are sensational talents. Guehi is already captaining the side at 21 ffs.

Was the overwhelming favourite to be first sacked in the betting odds so a bit of humble pie to be eaten out there I’m sure, me included.

Nickelodeon

Low-key doing a great job our Patrick, we were exceptional first half yesterday and could easily have gone in 3 or 4 up. Top ten (right now at least), playing positive stuff, young exciting team, one game from Wembley in the FA Cup…hard to ask for much more from him given the magnitude of the task when he walked through the door.

Our summer recruitment was also exceptional by the way, every single signing has been a huge hit; Guehi and Olise in particular are sensational talents. Guehi is already captaining the side at 21 ffs.

Was the overwhelming favourite to be first sacked in the betting odds so a bit of humble pie to be eaten out there I’m sure, me included.
Crystal Palace deserve a lot of credit for this manager choice as well as player recruitment. From being billed for relegation to a top-half while playing positive football must be quite pleasing.

I think next season will probably give us a glimpse of what Vieira’s level as a manager could be. He’s certainly shown he’s capable. But is he going to be elite?

Cloud7

Glad to see you lot doing good. I really hoped Viera would do well. We need more managers like this and less of the Hodgson/Pulis types

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was so gutted to lose Guehi, but he absolutely made the right decision for his career. I think he would have been a starter with us eventually but it's totally understandable that he chose the stable route rather than hoping it would work out here.

Excellent player and I said last summer that my big fear with letting him go was that he would be so good he'd end up at United or Liverpool within 2 seasons.

It would be amazing if they won the FA Cup, i think they can finish in the top 10.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Olise settling in nicely now after six months.

More to come from Palace next season you suspect, interesting Mateta is getting a run as CF now as I presume Eduoard hasn't fully convinced?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The job the club did last summer was genuinely staggering. Losing a solid manager and basically an entire first 11. Managed to improve the team on every count

Fantastic. Hopefully we win the FA cup :drool:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Olise settling in nicely now after six months.

More to come from Palace next season you suspect, interesting Mateta is getting a run as CF now as I presume Eduoard hasn't fully convinced?
Yeah Olise is an absolute gem for £8m, he is absurdly talented. Won’t be with us for long I’m sure. Same with Guehi who I have down as our player of the year at the moment (even ahead of Gallagher).

As for Edouard, he’s played his best football from the left weirdly, he’s been shown up a bit physically when trying to lead the line and can’t seem to get in to games. Mateta is a funny one you know, I thought he was pants up until December but he’s probably our most rounded striker in terms of offering both technique and physicality, he also shows Benteke up big time with his work rate and movement (which isn’t hard tbf). Looks another shrewd pick-up for £8m.

Props to PV because he’s also really bringing on Tyrick Mitchell who can’t be far from a call-up too, and Wilf is looking back to his best as well.

Could all go Pete Tong next season of course but if we have another summer like last we could be a force.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yeah Olise is an absolute gem for £8m, he is absurdly talented. Won’t be with us for long I’m sure. Same with Guehi who I have down as our player of the year at the moment (even ahead of Gallagher).

As for Edouard, he’s played his best football from the left weirdly, he’s been shown up a bit physically when trying to lead the line and can’t seem to get in to games. Mateta is a funny one you know, I thought he was pants up until December but he’s probably our most rounded striker in terms of offering both technique and physicality, he also shows Benteke up big time with his work rate and movement (which isn’t hard tbf). Looks another shrewd pick-up for £8m.

Props to PV because he’s also really bringing on Tyrick Mitchell who can’t be far from a call-up too, and Wilf is looking back to his best as well.

Could all go Pete Tong next season of course but if we have another summer like last we could be a force.
To be fair. Your club rarely makes pants signings

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I was so gutted to lose Guehi, but he absolutely made the right decision for his career. I think he would have been a starter with us eventually but it's totally understandable that he chose the stable route rather than hoping it would work out here.

Excellent player and I said last summer that my big fear with letting him go was that he would be so good he'd end up at United or Liverpool within 2 seasons.
I don't know whether it will be Guehi but unfortunately I think it's inevitable one/some of our excess youth end up at a rival in the future.

Unlike with the KDB/Salah situation this time it won't really be our fault but you can bet that won't stop the media and a section of opposition fans blindly comparing the situations at every turn.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
We’re having a great transitional season, don’t want to keep repeating myself but our recruitment last summer was spot on, for me it’s quietly up there with the best PL windows ever considering the limited budget and number of players required.

Another pleasing thing is a positive goal difference which is usually the hallmark of a top half side, the team above us are -9 and the team below us are -10. We haven’t had the rub in quite a few games but I think we’re as good as Wolves in 8th despite the points difference. Hopefully we will continue to grow as a team and convert draws in to wins next season.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Dispatched of Arsenal.

Measured, controlled performance with hard work and skill.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really enjoy watching this palace side.

they should try extremely hard to keep hold of Gallagher in the summer, but I doubt that will be possible.

Skills

Snitch
I really enjoy watching this palace side.

they should try extremely hard to keep hold of Gallagher in the summer, but I doubt that will be possible.
Chelsea would be crazy to leave him there especially with Kante's injury record

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If Arsenal blow top 4 they could do worse than appoint Vieira tbh. Arteta will be back under massive pressure start of next season and has OGS ceiling as a manager it's fair to say.

Palace should give Chelsea a good game in the cup and could well finish top half so that would be some season from debutant premier league manager.

marktan

Doing a great job but equal credit to their scouting team, that squad is stacked with young talent.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No one talk about RR not having enough time or any old shit like that look what Vieira has been doing at Crystal fecking Palace all season completely turned them around from the team Hodgson had coached for years

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
No one talk about RR not having enough time or any old shit like that look what Vieira has been doing at Crystal fecking Palace all season completely turned them around from the team Hodgson had coached for years
While RR has to shoulder some blame, I do believe the players aren't arsed. I expect a lethargic remaining 8 games.

croadyman

While RR has to shoulder some blame, I do believe the players aren't arsed. I expect a lethargic remaining 8 games.
Yeah Goodison, Selhurst and Anfield will be hostile atmospheres and we know what bottlers this lot are when they get put under any kind of pressure

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's the managers job to make them be arsed though and if you can't then you play players who are

It seems the entire leadership team at the club (owners, board members, coaching team) have just accepted to write the season off and such defeatist attitude has no place in top level sport let alone a club as big as ours

You say the players aren't arsed but it seems like no one at the club is either

crossy1686

career ending
Really impressed with how he's got Palace playing. He's one of the most underrated managers in the league, better than a lot of the trendy names that get bounced around this forum.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Yep, I think he gets it tbh. Between him and Potter and I would be more inclined towards Viera because Palace seemed to be on the way down and he has pulled them up the table.