Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I pondered about Frank, Pep and Klopp but voted Vieira in the end.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Really impressed with how he's got Palace playing. He's one of the most underrated managers in the league, better than a lot of the trendy names that get bounced around this forum.
Like? Only manager who is very highly rated is Potter (from non top 6 clubs).

Vapor trail

Deserved Palace have been good this season I also anticipated that they would struggle given this is Patrick's breakout season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very good manager. Like his teams intensity. They have some brilliant players too. If they can keep them, I predict a great season next year.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
A bit surprised he made it on the list tbh but it’s great recognition for the job he’s done. He just fits the club perfectly really. This video sums it up for me, he does an awful lot of this kind of community work which isn’t often seen but even then is demanding more from Benteke and Eze. In every video I see you can tell he has a great relationship with the players. Has turned out to be an excellent appointment.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
A bit surprised he made it on the list tbh but it’s great recognition for the job he’s done. He just fits the club perfectly really. This video sums it up for me, he does an awful lot of this kind of community work which isn’t often seen but even then is demanding more from Benteke and Eze. In every video I see you can tell he has a great relationship with the players. Has turned out to be an excellent appointment.

Lovely video that

OleGunnar20

Lovely video that
Isn't it just.

Kid: Is that Benteke?

Viera: Benteke? Yes. Maybe you should tell him to run a bit faster.

Tickled me.

Anyway, totally deserves it. They've done a great job of rebuilding a decrepit Palace team in such a short amount of time and he's lead them brilliantly.

Proved a lot of people wrong (Me included!) Who had him down as a sacked by December type, thought it'd be a car crash. Good for them.

Last edited:

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC

This is probably very dumb of me, but that's the first time I see a black kid with down's syndrome.

Very heartwarming video. Is there a Down's syndrome league?

Pickle85

I had him pegged as the first to get sacked this season. Shows what I know.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Two words - Absolute Quality.

I Love this Palace side so much. Stick in 2 top class CBs and we’d be Top 4 easily.

Viera has been a great fit. Shame he’ll prob go to Arse when Arteta is sacked.

Holocene

Lovely video. Thanks for sharing.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

I Love this Palace side so much. Stick in 2 top class CBs and we’d be Top 4 easily.

Tbf your CBs aren't bad. If you had one class ball playing one next to Guehi you'd do pretty well I think really. Tomkins is a pretty good player himself and barely gets a game. I've been impressed with Schlupp this year in midfield but I still think you could do with a DM personally. Very likeable side you have though (albeit it's difficult to like Zaha most of the time the whingeing git! :lol:)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

Fantastic video and great work by the club. I think I might have to adopt Palace as my second team at this rate!

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC

You not rate Andersen and Guehi?! We conceded a lot of goals from set-pieces earlier in the season but him and Guehi are about as good a parternship as you can expect IMO, both are brilliant players. Midfield is the area that needs a bit of reworking for me, expecting a DM and CM in the summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tbf your CBs aren't bad. If you had one class ball playing one next to Guehi you'd do pretty well I think really. Tomkins is a pretty good player himself and barely gets a game. I've been impressed with Schlupp this year in midfield but I still think you could do with a DM personally. Very likeable side you have though (albeit it's difficult to like Zaha most of the time the whingeing git! :lol:)
I think the guy you're responding to is a United fan, hence the top 4 reference.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You not rate Andersen and Guehi?! We conceded a lot of goals from set-pieces earlier in the season but him and Guehi are about as good a parternship as you can expect IMO, both are brilliant players. Midfield is the area that needs a bit of reworking for me, expecting a DM and CM in the summer.

Yeah, I'm surprised the poster doesn't like these 2, I thought they were highly rated and doing well?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Andersen is excellent imo.

Got to sort out the CF given Mateta is being given another run but not scoring much and Edouard seemingly not rated there.

Conor Gallagher will be a big miss aswell as assume he'll get a fair chance at Chelsea next season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah has to be 8/10 or higher. Excellent season. I know their fans really hate Chelsea but I can't help but have a soft spot for them.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Looks like they're close to getting Flynn Downes from Swansea. Really good player, very comfortable on the ball and has a physical presence too.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
So will this be to replace Gallagher? Or to shore up midfield and let Eze, Olise etc push up more?
I think the latter, at Swansea he played very deep and was someone who always made himself available as an option to recycle the ball and position himself to help negate counters. Very safe on the ball but could progress the ball and didn't mind taking it under pressure either. Despite his size he was good at getting stuck in too.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
So will this be to replace Gallagher? Or to shore up midfield and let Eze, Olise etc push up more?
Rumour has it we want 3 midfielders this summer! Kouyate is going on a free, we need the Gallagher replacement and there are question marks over Luka Milivojevic. James McArthur is also 35 this season.

Cheick Doucoure is basically a done deal pending the work permit, heard brilliant things about him so am very excited about that one. I think he’ll be the box to box midfielder.

Downes also makes a lot of sense and we were in for him when he was at Ipswich. Think he’ll be competing with Will Hughes at the base of the midfield with Kouyate going.

Then we’re linked with Joe Aribo and Morgan Gibbs-White to play in the more advanced role.

DM: Hughes/Downes
B2B: Doucoure/McArthur
AM: Eze/Aribo or MGW

Obviously some flexibility in those roles as well, most of them are quite versatile.

Good options IMO and we’ll probably get Downes, Doucoure and Aribo for less than Chelsea would want for Gallagher if they decided to sell.

Last edited:

Red Star One

Has to be one of the most underrated or perhaps just not appreciated enough of Premier League managers - steadied the boat right away with quite bad Palace he inherited, improved the atmosphere and got some pleasant on the eye football going, reached the semi final of FA cup, got a good league result in his first season and now is onto a top half finish. I rate him miles higher than Gerrard or Lampard that are talked about much more.

Mr. Robot

Has to be one of the most underrated or perhaps just not appreciated enough of Premier League managers - steadied the boat right away with quite bad Palace he inherited, improved the atmosphere and got some pleasant on the eye football going, reached the semi final of FA cup, got a good league result in his first season and now is onto a top half finish. I rate him miles higher than Gerrard or Lampard that are talked about much more.
Agree completely. Lampard and Gerrard are average managers who got jobs at medium sized Premier League clubs because of their playing days, but we all knew that so I’m not exactly breaking important news here.

PV is doing a very good job at Palace. He sticks to his principles with how he wants them to play, regardless of opponent.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
They beat us last season. They've made Selhurst Park a very tough ground to goto now. There attacking play is also much more varied than before where it was just knocking out to Zaha.

Red Star One

They beat us last season. They've made Selhurst Park a very tough ground to goto now. There attacking play is also much more varied than before where it was just knocking out to Zaha.
Yeah, they also beat City at Etihad last season and Vieira is on a respectable 1-1-1 against Guardiola in the league for now.

Pickle85

Doing a really good job there. Weirdly, not HAVING to rely on Zaha for all inspiration has made Zaha look far better as well. I like watching them these days too.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Wasn’t backed properly in the summer either, we didn‘t sign a first choice midfielder to replace POTY Conor Gallagher so we have a left winger playing in there this season in Jeff Schlupp. We’re a CM and RB away from cementing a place in the top 10 IMO.

Minor frustrations with PV are his substitutions (they’re often baffling) and that we can’t seem to put a consistent 90 minutes together, we always start badly or end up clinging on/conceding late. Overall though, can’t ask for much more.

Vapor trail

Wasn’t backed properly in the summer either, we didn‘t sign a first choice midfielder to replace POTY Conor Gallagher so we have a left winger playing in there this season in Jeff Schlupp. We’re a CM and RB away from cementing a place in the top 10 IMO.

Minor frustrations with PV are his substitutions (they’re often baffling) and that we can’t seem to put a consistent 90 minutes together, we always start badly or end up clinging on/conceding late. Overall though, can’t ask for much more.
I've got much respect for palace as a club. What Parish has also done with the youths facilities near the training ground is brilliant for development. Goes to show that money isn't everything when you have the right people in the clubs hierarchy.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I've got much respect for palace as a club. What Parish has also done with the youths facilities near the training ground is brilliant for development. Goes to show that money isn't everything when you have the right people in the clubs hierarchy.
Yeah the academy is amazing and we can compete with the best in the country on that front. It’s a shrewd move with our catchment area and it’ll be Parish’s legacy whenever he moves on, he’s basically just a well-paid Chairman working for US investors now.

The worry for me is how much we can invest in the playing squad whilst also investing in the club’s infrastructure, the stadium redevelopment is up next which is going to be more £££ that we don’t really seem to have. Our average spend on players over the last 5 seasons is £14.7m per season which is chump change in the PL and we’re extremely light for depth as a result, it’s why the likes of Guaita, Ward, Ayew, Schlupp and Milivojevic have seemingly been at the club forever whereas they would have been moved on at most other clubs. We still haven’t signed a proper replacement for AWB and we sold him 3 years ago!

Our poor summer window was so frustrating as it really felt like we were in touching distance of genuine progress. And we’re also facing the prospect of Wilf leaving on a free this summer and we’ll have the impossible task of replacing him on a limited budget as well. That leaves me thinking that as well as PV is doing right now, it would only take a domino or two to fall and we’ll be right back in the brown stuff. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess!

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Had a little smile reading my post above as it’s panning out how I thought it might. It’s a bit of a cliche but if one midtable team is going to get dragged in to the relegation mix, it’s going to be us. In the last 5 we’ve seen heavy losses to Everton, Spurs, and Fulham, and lost again today to the worst Saints side in memory. He was really let down in the summer window where we lost Gallagher, Kouyate and MacArthur (the three first choice centre midfielders) and only signed Doucoure but the team look unfit, disorganised and mentally weak. And his persistence in playing Ayew every week is bizarre, he missed from 2 yards today which would have put us 2-0 up and out of sight.

Some horror fixtures to come in the next 8 games as well, worrying times.

Had a little smile reading my post above as it’s panning out how I thought it might. It’s a bit of a cliche but if one midtable team is going to get dragged in to the relegation mix, it’s going to be us. In the last 5 we’ve seen heavy losses to Everton, Spurs, and Fulham, and lost again today to the worst Saints side in memory. He was really let down in the summer window where we lost Gallagher, Kouyate and MacArthur (the three first choice centre midfielders) and only signed Doucoure but the team look unfit, disorganised and mentally weak. Some horror fixtures to come in the next 8 games as well, worrying times.
Are there any talks to sign anyone this month? I can’t believe you still have players like Ward, Clyne and Ayew still starting games in 2023.