Pau Torres

Robertd0803

I remember Maguire standing out against United when he was at Hull. I don't understand why Jose didn't make the push for him then, a year later he wanted him?
Its Jose. Also think he knew we wouldnt get Maguire off Leicester after they just signed him so it just gave him something else to whinge about.

If they want Pau Torres then that means the Ake deal hasn't been done as reported
Its City. Would it surprise anyone if they bought 3 CBs in the same window? Plus in comparison to Kouiibaily/Torres Ake should be reasonably cheap.

Stojan Stamenic

Prefer him to Gabriel. Good ball carrier, and defender with most long ball passes in Europe this season after Hummels (6,5 per match). Problem? Price

edit: also, he could be very complementary in CB partnership with Maguire. Something like Terry&Carvalho in Chelsea

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How good is he?

I know it makes so much sense to buy a left footed centre back for the balance of our team and playing out from the back, but I really like Upamecano. I want a centre back who is physically dominating, fast and aggressive.

croadyman

:lol: As if its your money. Just pay it, he's class
Just saw someone in the same MUFC FB group as me who is absolutely adamant we aren't interested in him. They are a Stretty News journo who also broke the Ferran Torres stuff yesterday and recently interviewed Marcus too.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not seeing an awful lot of smoke here, suspect there's nothing in this

SAFMUTD

I dont think anybody will pay 65M for him. From what I read he's good on the ball but lacks aggresivity, so he's practically Lindelof.

izec

I dont think anybody will pay 65M for him. From what I read he's good on the ball but lacks aggresivity, so he's practically Lindelof.
He is faster though. And taller.

I also dont think Lindelöf is that good on the ball, decent, nothing more.

SinNombre

If he is not a commandeering, aerially dominant CB, we are not in for him.

DDG's performances will improve with an aerially dominant CB in front of him, and this is the weakness of the Maguire-Lindelof partnership.

croadyman

DDG's performances will improve with an aerially dominant CB in front of him, and this is the weakness of the Maguire-Lindelof partnership.
Don't forget needs to have pace as well

Bojan11

DDG was playing crap with Smalling in the team, so don’t buy that.

Maureen-yo

Watched a fair bit of him, he has an peachy left foot, sprays Carrick like passes around with ease. Very good at recovery tackles when running towards his own goal.
would be a very good signing for £45 million but I think he’s destined for Barca.

Reactions: Jippy

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Except that he makes much more progressive passes than Lindelof does. Practically more of a tall version Daley Blind.

Okey

Except that he makes much more progressive passes than Lindelof does. Practically more of a tall version Daley Blind.

Yep. Blind comes to mind. Even better than Maguire on the ball. Would be useful in playing through a press with those long passes. If Maguire could function as RCB, Torres could make the perfect partner. But expect Villareal to milk any club to the last. A player (Bailly/Rojo?) going the other way might be a good sweetener.

jackal&hyde

He looks like the type of defender Smalling fans would hate: very classy in defense using his understanding of football to defend rather then physicality and has an almost deep play maker ability to pass from the back, coupled with very good technical ability to get him out of trouble rather then booting it forward or making the simple sideways safe pass.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yep. Blind comes to mind. Even better than Maguire on the ball. Would be useful in playing through a press with those long passes. If Maguire could function as RCB, Torres could make the perfect partner. But expect Villareal to milk any club to the last. A player (Bailly/Rojo?) going the other way might be a good sweetener.
Apparently Pau Torres is in the top 5 fastest player in La Liga 19/20.

https://ronaldo.com/football-news/top-5-fastest-la-liga-players-this-season/2/

He's pretty much the tall & quicker version of Blind. I wouldn't come into conclusion that he's better than Maguire on the ball. Maguire is very good on the ball imo & even Steve Bruce rated it very high to even comparing it to Rio Ferdinand.

Womp

idiot
Apparently Pau Torres is in the top 5 fastest player in La Liga 19/20.

https://ronaldo.com/football-news/top-5-fastest-la-liga-players-this-season/2/

He's pretty much the tall & quicker version of Blind. I wouldn't come into conclusion that he's better than Maguire on the ball. Maguire is very good on the ball imo & even Steve Bruce rated it very high to even comparing it to Rio Ferdinand.
Maguire is good on the ball but I do think he dawdles too much on it which allows the opposition to get into shape. Sometimes it's better to just keep it more simple and quickly play it into our midfielder or forwards.

Its something the coaching needs to work on with him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire is good on the ball but I do think he dawdles too much on it which allows the opposition to get into shape. Sometimes it's better to just keep it more simple and quickly play it into our midfielder or forwards.

Its something the coaching needs to work on with him
It actually allow our midfield to push higher rather than opposition to get into shape. The issue isn't Maguire dawdles too much but the positioning of our midfield when Maguire is trying to give benefits.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Watched a fair bit of him, he has an peachy left foot, sprays Carrick like passes around with ease. Very good at recovery tackles when running towards his own goal.
would be a very good signing for £45 million but I think he’s destined for Barca.
Barcelona's primary target is Garcia and he's cheaper than Torres

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I decided to watch Real vs Villarreal (3-1). His style is really exactly the same as Daley Blind. He's pretty much the quick version of Daley Blind. From that game, this is what I can come out to my conclusion:

He's relying on his positioning when defending, pretty much type of player who doesn't rush things & does interception. He always looking around him every second to make sure he knows where the opposition players are. Very good on the ball & very composed when under pressure & always make progressive passes. He's not the quickest like Bailly but he's decently quick enough to cover ground against wingers. Not much shown for how good/bad he's in the air against Real. He had only one moment when he was 50:50 in the air with Benzema.

Real scored the first goal due to midfield being pressed and lost the ball, both of their centre back couldn't do much since it was 4 or 5 v 2 situation.
Real's 2nd goal was penalty, they conceded penalty not from his side.
Real's 3rd goal was bit of his fault since he let Asensio off the mark but it happened in 94th min (game already over) and it was actually the first time he didn't looking around him but looking at the ball. Although it wasn't totally his fault since Junior beat like 3-4 players from the corner area.

Overall I thought he was good against Real. I thought they could got clean sheet without the first & second goals from errors.

I like Blind as a ball playing and this guy looks like the quick version of Blind, wouldn't mind if we sign him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I decided to watch Real vs Villarreal (3-1). His style is really exactly the same as Daley Blind. He's pretty much the quick version of Daley Blind. From that game, this is what I can come out to my conclusion:

He's relying on his positioning when defending, pretty much type of player who doesn't rush things & does interception. He always looking around him every second to make sure he knows where the opposition players are. Very good on the ball & very composed when under pressure & always make progressive passes. He's not the quickest like Bailly but he's decently quick enough to cover ground against wingers. Not much shown for how good/bad he's in the air against Real. He had only one moment when he was 50:50 in the air with Benzema.

Real scored the first goal due to midfield being pressed and lost the ball, both of their centre back couldn't do much since it was 4 or 5 v 2 situation.
Real's 3rd goal was bit of his fault since he let Asensio off the mark but it happened in 94th min (game already over) and it was actually the first time he didn't looking around him but looking at the ball. Although it wasn't totally his fault since Junior beat like 3-4 players from the corner area.

Overall I thought he was good against Real. I thought they could got clean sheet without the first & second goals from errors.

I like Blind as a ball playing and this guy looks like the quick version of Blind, wouldn't mind if we sign him.
Thanks for this, good insight. I think it echoes a lot of reviews of him, so good to know. It was Peach that first mentioned him as a potential target wasn't it?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thanks for this, good insight. I think it echoes a lot of reviews of him, so good to know. It was Peach that first mentioned him as a potential target wasn't it?
https://www.tv2.no/a/11501663/

There is video there in June (The video is english).

Peach only mentioned Joe Rodon but he said he didn't hear anything much whether we're actually in or no, but he said if United is looking for one in Championship for British CB, he could be the candidate and a friend of Daniel James.

Paul Hirst was the one mentioned Pau Torres has been followed for a long time and also City placed him in the wish list.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
https://www.tv2.no/a/11501663/

There is video there in June (The video is english).

Peach only mentioned Joe Rodon but he said he didn't hear anything much whether we're actually in or no, but he said if United is looking for one in Championship for British CB, he could be the candidate and a friend of Daniel James.

Paul Hirst was the one mentioned Pau Torres has been followed for a long time and also City placed him in the wish list.
Oh yeah, it was Hirst.

Thanks for that!

Bondi77

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is he any good in the air?
What I saw in the Real Madrid game.

He doesn't really rely on his physical, rarely get stuck in to attackers but always adjust his position & distance to his attackers like Carrick/Blind but he wasn't bullied strength to strength by Benzema against Real.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not sure a Daley Blind type alongside maguire would work. Maguire can’t be everywhere trying to cover all the headers or physical duels. No point replacing lindelof for someone who will generate the same issues. Especially for that price

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not sure a Daley Blind type alongside maguire would work. Maguire can’t be everywhere trying to cover all the headers or physical duels. No point replacing lindelof for someone who will generate the same issues. Especially for that price
Smalling - Blind was good pair. Players who are not physically very strong often rely on positioning, read the game & intercept the ball, 191cm isn't bad but Pau is a skinny one. I would rather have a centre back has one weakness than multiple weaknesses which the issue of Lindelof.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Is he any good in the air?
He's in among the worst CBs from top 5 leagues in aerial duel win rate. 47.4% is very poor. For context, Ake was bottom 5 in the PL at 52.5% and he's ~5 inches shorter.

Consequently, Torres doesn't contest a lot of aerials, he prefers to drop a bit deeper as a rule of thumb.

dev1l

The main criticism aimed at Lindelof last season was that he was being bullied physically. I cannot see Torres being better than Lindelof at that - even though he s quite tall, he loses a lot of headers.

Tbf in some of the goals we conceded that way, were DeGea s fault because he doesn't command his area well enough.