Pau Torres

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He has similar aerial stats to Lindelof, winning

He's definitely quicker than Lindelof. He burned Sane for pace a few times for Spain. Ironically, it's his aerial prowess that let's him down for his size, but it's not a huge weakness, especially beside Maguire.
Question is, is this guy 60m EUR (or whatever the price is) better than Lindelof. I mean if he's not a material upgrade there's no value in pursuing it in my opinion. I like the look of Kounde the most, who can also operate as a right back and as a 6 if needed.

Ivor Ballokov

Going by this page alone I'm excited to be getting a rapid partner for Maguire, but on the other hand he is quite slow which is worrying but then again maybe his other qualities make up for his average pace.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Going by this page alone I'm excited to be getting a rapid partner for Maguire, but on the other hand he is quite slow which is worrying but then again maybe his other qualities make up for his average pace.
Maybe? For the money we’d better be bloody sure

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Question is, is this guy 60m EUR (or whatever the price is) better than Lindelof. I mean if he's not a material upgrade there's no value in pursuing it in my opinion. I like the look of Kounde the most, who can also operate as a right back and as a 6 if needed.
60 million would be steep in today's market. 45 would be a good deal, milencovic at 30 would tempt me too, but I've liked Torres for a while now, if he could improve his heading he'd be like a Smalling that can actually play the ball.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
60 million would be steep in today's market. 45 would be a good deal, milencovic at 30 would tempt me too, but I've liked Torres for a while now, if he could improve his heading he'd be like a Smalling that can actually play the ball.
Milenkovic is debatable if he'd even be 20m at this point. His contract is going to have one year left in the summer and has no intention of signing a new deal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Either upgrade lindelof or leave him. This guy barely upgrades
That’s why very few of these names excite me. I don’t think Lindelof is much more than a decent level CB with obvious flaws, but the likes of Torres, Milenkovic etc. we seem to be linked with have shown nothing to suggest they’re comprehensively better and will actually improve our side.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
When was the last time we have seen Maguire as RCB actually?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So the experts in this thread have said he's neither quicker or better aerially than Lindelof... why on Earth would we want him then?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Well he's Ramos' CB partner for Spain, so I'm guessing he's decent?

JakeC

Milenkovic is debatable if he'd even be 20m at this point. His contract is going to have one year left in the summer and has no intention of signing a new deal.
I have to admit I'd be less informed about him.

JakeC

So the experts in this thread have said he's neither quicker or better aerially than Lindelof... why on Earth would we want him then?
He is quicker than Lindelof. He's similar in the air. He's a better passer of the ball than Londelof believe it or not. A good dribbler, and left footed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well he's Ramos' CB partner for Spain, so I'm guessing he's decent?
I’m sure he is, but I think that’s sort of by default. Pique is done now and the alternatives are the likes of Eric Garcia and Oscar Mingueza (exactly).

SwedishFish

He is quicker than Lindelof. He's similar in the air. He's a better passer of the ball than Londelof believe it or not. A good dribbler, and left footed.
:rolleyes:

He'd be a good compliment to the team but he's not 60 million better than Lindelöf if we're on a budget.

This is the problem, it's a shallow pool of talent to pick from and we need someone who can instantly upgrade or challenge for a spot for a good price if we're going to go for our attacking targets in the market.

We'll see what happens.

charlenefan

Maybe it's because he's got a sexy name but I remember these same arguments about Dias when he was at Benfica and don't we all wish we'd gone for him now

50m as ridiculous as it sounds is good value for what is hopefully a decent CB now

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Presumably a faster and better on the ball version of Lindelof is sort of the profile of defender the club would be interested in?

By which I mean our prior decision to opt for Lindelof over Smalling (who pretty much everyone would agree is both faster and better in the air than him) says something about the type of CB the club want and the traits they're prioritising, they perhaps just want a better version of it. Whereas maybe a lot of posters on the caf want a different type of CB?

charlenefan

Presumably a faster and better on the ball version of Lindelof is sort of the profile of defender the club would be interested in?

By which I mean our prior decision to opt for Lindelof over Smalling (who pretty much everyone would agree is both faster and better in the air than him) says something about the type of CB the club want and the traits they're prioritising, they perhaps just want a better version of it. Whereas maybe a lot of posters on the caf want a different type of CB?
It's Lindelof's on the ball ability which gave him the nod over Smalling, as evidenced in midweek, when Smalling was here he struggled to pass it 5 yards let alone the type of ball Lindelof played to Rashford

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's Lindelof's on the ball ability which gave him the nod over Smalling, as evidenced in midweek, when Smalling was here he struggled to pass it 5 yards let alone the type of ball Lindelof played to Rashford
Exactly. So whoever we sign, that ability on the ball will presumably still be a priority given it already saw Lindelof favoured over a defender who was better in other ways.

Whereas I wonder if a lot of caf posters are looking for a new CB to be fast and dominant in the air (because those are Lindelof's weaknesses) but without factoring in that other factors will still come first in the club's eyes.

In other words a lot of posters here would probably prefer a better version of Smalling rather than a better version of Lindelof, so will probably be less than enthused by a lot of the CBs we target. Because the club are fundamentally prioritising different things than they would. Whereas from that club POV someone with Torres' profile (like Lindelof but faster and better again on the ball) fits.

Or maybe I'm talking shite. Always a strong possibility.

pascell

When people say we need a 'pacey CB' next to Maguire, you're talking a Ferdinand type of CB that's absolutely rolls Royce, otherwise they're not worth taking about. We've got Bailly who's pacey but flatters to deceive more often than not with his lapses of concentration.

RUCK4444

When people say we need a 'pacey CB' next to Maguire, you're talking a Ferdinand type of CB that's absolutely rolls Royce, otherwise they're not worth taking about. We've got Bailly who's pacey but flatters to deceive more often than not with his lapses of concentration.
Yeah your probably right. We all want and see the need for a pacey centre back but they need to be a top defender first and foremost.

There’s lots of quick defenders but are they the required level. Rio’s are very hard to find.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We need a Vidic with speed instead. We already have a Rio style player in Maguire/Lindeloff without the pace.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Exactly. So whoever we sign, that ability on the ball will presumably still be a priority given it already saw Lindelof favoured over a defender who was better in other ways.

Whereas I wonder if a lot of caf posters are looking for a new CB to be fast and dominant in the air (because those are Lindelof's weaknesses) but without factoring in that other factors will still come first in the club's eyes.

In other words a lot of posters here would probably prefer a better version of Smalling rather than a better version of Lindelof, so will probably be less than enthused by a lot of the CBs we target. Because the club are fundamentally prioritising different things than they would. Whereas from that club POV someone with Torres' profile (like Lindelof but faster and better again on the ball) fits.

No, you’re not talking shite, your post makes a great deal of sense.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

This is why I believe Rice is one of our main targets.

Whenever we have Matic he looks the most capable of playing that 3rd CB role ie the CDM that drops inbetween 2 CBs having started further up the pitch.

I call this the false CB, very similar to how the false 9 starts deeper as a forward but is able to get inbetween 2 other team mates.

If we do buy and target players with pure ball playing ability we will no doubt improve on what we have - but the thing is that we need that menace, that pure strength, that annoying CDM that will stop that central attacks of the opposition by his pure aggression.

This is how Smalling or Bailly plays but I believe Ole wants that coming from the CDM position playing inbetween or slightly in front of the CB's, able to start a counter attack by himself or by using the ball playing defenders on either side.

Last edited:

mattunited1978

doommonger

Im liking what your saying, it makes a lot of sense

Infra-red

Does not look ready at all in my opinion. He has a lot of potential, and might become a good defender, but this year Dunk and Webster have been a lot better than him.
White is also incredibly weak in the air for a CB - only wins 53% of his aerial duels, Lindelof, by comparison, wins 64%. White is also in the bottom 7% of all CBs in Europe for aerial duels won per 90 minutes and the bottom 1% for clearances out of defence.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
How's that lad Badiashile looked like for Monaco this season? I had my eye on him last year when we were linked with him, he's big, physical with some good skill on the ball.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
When was the last time we have seen Maguire as RCB actually?
Apparently it's his favoured position, but because he's never had a left-footed CB partner he's always playing on the left due to the fact he's always been the most comfortable with both feet compared to the other CB.

That's why Ole wants a LCB, to unlock Maguire's full attacking potential.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
How's that lad Badiashile looked like for Monaco this season? I had my eye on him last year when we were linked with him, he's big, physical with some good skill on the ball.
He's been doing well, Monaco is a high-risk team and has conceded a fair few but he's been a key player for them and now has more minutes under his belt in a more competitive position this season. He actually spoke about deciding to stay at Monaco and rejecting a team (presumably us). Seems as if he doesn't have his heart on moving to us.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...at-all-about-not-moving-to-manchester-united/

“It was the right choice, first off is I have not enjoyed good seasons since I have been at Monaco. We played to stay up and so now I am really experiencing the top of the table and I think that continuing with the club that formed me was the right decision and this is being proved by the season that we are having.”

SAF is the GOAT

In general i wouldn't count on a 19 yo kid to be on our starting lineup in his first PL year.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's been doing well, Monaco is a high-risk team and has conceded a fair few but he's been a key player for them and now has more minutes under his belt in a more competitive position this season. He actually spoke about deciding to stay at Monaco and rejecting a team (presumably us). Seems as if he doesn't have his heart on moving to us.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...at-all-about-not-moving-to-manchester-united/

“It was the right choice, first off is I have not enjoyed good seasons since I have been at Monaco. We played to stay up and so now I am really experiencing the top of the table and I think that continuing with the club that formed me was the right decision and this is being proved by the season that we are having.”
Yeah I thought he was far too young to move last season anyways but he might change his mind in a year or two.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would be a fun signing just to shout "POW" each time he wins a tackle at the TV. Like it's the catalina wine mixer.