Pau Torres

Ralph1386

Don't want him. Don't think he's good enough to be better than Varane and Maguire so would be an expensive backup.
You can argue that he’s not better than Varane, and that he’s not the best option. But Maguire has become a meme. Pretty much anybody would be an upgrade on him at the moment. Especially with the way Ten Hag likes to set up.

Last edited:

Telsim

The worst choice of the three we've been linked with so far. Decent, but hardly what we should be looking for. Better to just wait for Timber and get him during the winter transfer window than getting another second-rater. Meanwhile, use the money to cover other positions.

Kag

You can argue that he’s not better than Varane, and that he’s not the best option. But Maguire has become a meme. Pretty much anybody would be an upgrade on him at the moment. Especially with the way Ten Hag likes to set up.

Ten Hag will like Maguire. Guaranteed.

Kag

He likes to play with a high line. Maguire is too slow for that.
He’ll play in a way in which supports the players at his disposal. Varane’s fitness is an issue, Lindelof is not much quicker than Maguire and our other options are dogshit. Maguire is going to get a lot of games next season, so I’d buckle in for that reality.

Our centre halves wouldn’t be an issue if the blokes in front of them weren’t so useless.

Dante

Average bang
Which is what makes it impossible to discuss him fairly on the internet. Meme-dom is more important than reality around these parts.

RC89

Which is what makes it impossible to discuss him fairly on the internet. Meme-dom is more important than reality around these parts.
The memes are based on the reality of him being absolute cr*p.

Ralph1386

He’ll play in a way in which supports the players at his disposal. Varane’s fitness is an issue, Lindelof is not much quicker than Maguire and our other options are dogshit. Maguire is going to get a lot of games next season, so I’d buckle in for that reality.
So is Maguire. And it’s no wonder ETH wanted Timber, who is nothing like Maguire.

Our centre halves wouldn’t be an issue if the blokes in front of them weren’t so useless.
Dejong alone isn’t solving this issue.

Tallis

From what I have seen last year, Lindelof is better than Maguire in 1 vs 1 and in a higher line. Maguire has triple issues of being slow, high center of gravity so gets twisted and turned easily and commits himself to tackle and leaves the team exposed.

Dante

Average bang
The memes are based on the reality of him being absolute cr*p.
Except he isn't. You've drunk the Koolaid.

Yes, he had a terrible first half to last season. By the second half, he still wasn't great but really no worse than Lindelof or Varane. And in seasons before that, he was very good. You don't lose that overnight.

Ralph1386

You’re going to have to agree to disagree with him. I also think Maguire is crap and overrated and I hope ETH gets another CB to partner Varane or Lindelof.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
From what I have seen last year, Lindelof is better than Maguire in 1 vs 1 and in a higher line. Maguire has triple issues of being slow, high center of gravity so gets twisted and turned easily and commits himself to tackle and leaves the team exposed.
That is a seriously dubious claim. The player could be on the goal line and Victor still wouldn’t engage in a tackle! You’re correct about Maguire’s big issue in a high line though which is he wrongly presses and commits himself at bad moments leaving everyone exposed. Doesn’t suit him at all. The problem is that role doesn’t suit Varane or Lindelof either. Ideally we need an aggressive CB who is LF and great on the ball to partner one of them.

Kag

So is Maguire. And it’s no wonder ETH wanted Timber, who is nothing like Maguire.

He isn’t. Ten Hag won’t think so either. Feel free to come back to this comment in a few months’ time.

Ralph1386

He isn’t. Ten Hag won’t think so either. Feel free to come back to this comment in a few months’ time.
He is and you’re going to have to agree to disagree. Ten Hag is already looking fir a completely different kind of CB.

Last edited:

croadyman

The worst choice of the three we've been linked with so far. Decent, but hardly what we should be looking for. Better to just wait for Timber and get him during the winter transfer window than getting another second-rater. Meanwhile, use the money to cover other positions.
Yeah personally I would prefer an attacking RB, DM and Antony to a CB but that's probably only my view

JB7

He likes to play with a high line. Maguire is too slow for that.
This has to be the biggest myth going. Maguires best football for us has been the short period of time we played a slightly higher line when De Gea was out back end of 20/21 season. He’s more comfortable in the high line than he is deep which is bizarre given his lack of pace but that’s how it is, he’s just a player that suits a compressed style of play which you get with the higher line. Now granted Maguire in a high line & De Gea in goal is not compatible but that’s another conversation.

RC89

Yes, he had a terrible first half to last season. By the second half, he still wasn't great but really no worse than Lindelof or Varane. And in seasons before that, he was very good. You don't lose that overnight.
Varane was very poor too.

The season before, he wasn't 'very good', he was decent in the second half of the season. First season bad, third season shocking, half a season decent in all of that.

Why would there be such hate for him? It's not like there's anything to pick out about him that is otherwise unlikeable e.g. off field antics, personality or anything like that where people just can't get on with a player. He is simply not very good.

Ralph1386

This has to be the biggest myth going. Maguires best football for us has been the short period of time we played a slightly higher line when De Gea was out back end of 20/21 season. He’s more comfortable in the high line than he is deep which is bizarre given his lack of pace but that’s how it is, he’s just a player that suits a compressed style of play which you get with the higher line. Now granted Maguire in a high line & De Gea in goal is not compatible but that’s another conversation.
I don’t agree that he is more comfortable in a highline. He is too slow and needs a fullback to tuck in for him and cover for him which makes us lose ground. ETH is going for Timber who is completely different kind of CB (not saying he will get Timber in this window).

croadyman

I don’t agree that he is more comfortable in a highline. He is too slow and needs a fullback to tuck in for him and cover for him which makes us lose ground. ETH is going for Timber who is completely different kind of CB.
Yeah I think we should wait for Timber whether that be January or next summer, spend that on a RWB or RW

Telsim

Yeah personally I would prefer an attacking RB, DM and Antony to a CB but that's probably only my view
We don't do that here.

But yes, I believe CB isn't as pressing an issue as other positions. Quality could be higher, for sure, but the problems with our center defense stem from our non-existent midfield coupled together with the GK being glued to his line. This leaves a massive patch of no man's land in our half that is easily exploited by the opposition. I'd sooner invest in a modern GK than a CB right now.

Teja

De jong + a full pre-season working on pressing and fitness I'm hoping remedies it somewhat. No single defender is going to change anything if we let the opposition have a free run at our CBs 5-6 times a game.

The first problem is giving the ball away in dangerous areas. De Jong + Eriksen should hopefully fix that.

The other problem is snuffing out counter attacks. Someone who can nip in quickly and win the first ball to the striker's feet would be nice but I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

croadyman

We don't do that here.

But yes, I believe CB isn't as pressing an issue as other positions. Quality could be higher, for sure, but the problems with our center defense stem from our non-existent midfield coupled together with the GK being glued to his line. This leaves a massive patch of no man's land in our half that is easily exploited by the opposition. I'd sooner invest in a modern GK than a CB right now.
Maybe not but think we still need that type of player in there, just look what a difference Fabinho/Rodri make for City & scousers

Ralph1386

Daley Blind is not faster than Maguire. I think the only player I’ve seen at United that Blind could beat in a foot race is Juan Mata.
Any stats to compare the two? Daley Blind is not fast. But it takes a tortoise to be slower than Maguire.

Telsim

Maybe not but think we still need that type of player in there, just look what a difference Fabinho/Rodri make for City & scousers
I meant that as a dig to what could be interpreted as outright refusal by the club to sign a DM. Of course we need one. We've needed one for years. And yet even now we haven't been seriously linked with one.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Being touted around europe for 2 season straight and no one has taken a punt on the lad.

What's up with that?

Rolaholic

Being touted around europe for 2 season straight and no one has taken a punt on the lad.

What's up with that?
He's simply not as good as he's been made out to be.

He's a good fit where he's at but he wouldn't make it at bigger clubs

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd still get him to replace Lindelof or Maguire next season. Either him, or another left-footed centre-back.

I think it's important that we have at least two left-footed centre-backs as it wouldn't disrupt our balance too much if/when one of them is out. It would also give us a few options

Malacia/Martinez - Martinez/Torres - Varane/Lindelof - Dalot/New RB

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Lots of people writing this guy off... be interesting to see how he does in the World Cup. I still think he's good - not all CBs have pace, not all are Rio. Better than Maguire? By about 100%