Pau Torres

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That seems reasonable to me, you mean to say he's faster or slower?
Well with FM, 15 is fast, anything over 16 is rapid, like Rashford has 17, James has 18 on last years game (don’t own this year) So Lindelof being 14 suggests he’s pretty damn nippy, which he’s not.

I assume they’ve downgraded his pace this year.

Teja

14 is quite quick
Well with FM, 15 is fast, anything over 16 is rapid, like Rashford has 17, James has 18 on last years game (don’t own this year) So Lindelof being 14 suggests he’s pretty damn nippy, which he’s not.

I assume they’ve downgraded his pace this year.
Yeah that's fair. I haven't played after FM '12 or so but he's not really a slouch in real life, here's some top speeds from an old link:
  1. Diogo Dalot - 36.43
  2. Romelu Lukaku - 36.25
  3. Tahith Chong - 36
  4. Marcus Rashford - 35.71
  5. Daniel James - 35.53
  6. Chris Smalling - 35.28
  7. Ashley Young - 34.85
  8. Jesse Lingard - 34.38
  9. Anthony Martial - 34.24
  10. Phil Jones - 34.09
  11. Mason Greenwood - 34.02
  12. Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 33.91
  13. Victor Lindelof - 33.62
Acceleration, Agility, Balance etc. matter as well?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd say it's about right. Downgrade by 1/2 sure but it's certainly in the right area. He's by no means slow.

He didn't keep pace stride for stride with Mbappe in the PSG game but he wasn't far behind him.
I think 12 would be fair. 14 is the same as some pretty quick wingers, seems way too fast for him. I may be wrong but I think Pulisic is 14 pace, and he’s obviously far quicker than Lindelof.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think 12 would be fair. 14 is the same as some pretty quick wingers, seems way too fast for him. I may be wrong but I think Pulisic is 14 pace, and he’s obviously far quicker than Lindelof.
Pulisic is 15 pace and 17 acceleration 19 agility. Lindelof is 13 acceleration and 14 pace with 15 agility.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah that's fair. I haven't played after FM '12 or so but he's not really a slouch in real life, here's some top speeds from an old link:
  1. Diogo Dalot - 36.43
  2. Romelu Lukaku - 36.25
  3. Tahith Chong - 36
  4. Marcus Rashford - 35.71
  5. Daniel James - 35.53
  6. Chris Smalling - 35.28
  7. Ashley Young - 34.85
  8. Jesse Lingard - 34.38
  9. Anthony Martial - 34.24
  10. Phil Jones - 34.09
  11. Mason Greenwood - 34.02
  12. Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 33.91
  13. Victor Lindelof - 33.62
Acceleration, Agility, Balance etc. matter as well?
To be honest out of all those the one that does the most with it is Greenwood

dev1l

Tough he s far from perfect , I prefer Torres to Upamecano, though Upamecano might have a higher ceiling, if he stays fit that is.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Tough he s far from perfect , I prefer Torres to Upamecano, though Upamecano might have a higher ceiling, if he stays fit that is.
Of all of them Koulibaly is the one I'd get if I had upwards of 70m as budget for CB. Amazed he's stayed at Napoli so long especially as they're more europa standard these days.

Dan_F

Outright pace isn’t massively important as a centre back. Awareness and acceleration are far more important. Maguire obviously isn’t the quickest, but his main issue is how unathletic he is, he seems to lack any kind of explosiveness.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Will go to City next summer after Ake and Dias fail to stop them having a weak defense. He'll be more of the same, looking fancy enough on the ball but not the best defender. And the next summer they'll sign another CB
You were quite confident on Dias not improving them before the season. Dont blame you. Did not see him and Stones working out this well myself.

I think what is interesting is that both Dias and Stones are less aggressive than Laporte. More laidback. And it shows if you look at their stats. We can often be led to believe that the quality of a defender is down to the amount of tackles, interceptions and aerials won. I think Dias and Stones show that it is not always the case.

We still dont have all the metric to measure the quality of a defender. Pau Torres, like Stones and Dias, looks like a passive defender, but he is very highly rated in Spain.

I know we dont always agree (you probably dont remember), and I’m sorry if I have gone a bit over the top in our discussions in the past. However, the both of us are interested in statistics and it would be interesting to hear your opinion on it.

Last edited:

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
More info on this guy? Is he having a good season in La Liga? Is he in Spain’s first XI?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I must say the lack of an «L» in his first name does annoy me.

manuchamp88

I must say the lack of an «L» in his first name does annoy me.
It's the Valencian variation of Pablo (aka Paul). But then his middle name is Francisco as opposed to Francesc. Guess his parents fancied mixing it up a bit.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is he a bit slow? I forgot his strengths and weaknesses to be fair, can a La Liga follower summarize his current season and future potential?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Will go to City next summer after Ake and Dias fail to stop them having a weak defense. He'll be more of the same, looking fancy enough on the ball but not the best defender. And the next summer they'll sign another CB
:(

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I watched him twice last season and one of the match was vs Real Madrid. He's very similar to Lindelof, passive centre back and in fact he is weak physically and not very good in the air despite of his height is 191cm. However, his ball playing is class, probably one of the best among the current CB from what I watched him twice. He can dribble, very composed on the ball when under pressure, good ball retention, can play good long ball and his intention is to play the ball forward. Rumour has been flying out recently with Rice and Torres, let's say if we get them, is our set up will be having centre back to do playmaker and two midfielders to protect them?

Hoboman

Fantastic with the ball at his feet, very average without it. If we are going to apply more front-foot, fast paced, posession based style next season, he would be great. Otherwise there is no point in buying him, especially for 50M.

Ekeke

So is he rapid or a bit slow ?

I'd say about average/Lindelof/Pique speed. Not quick but isnt going to be left too far behind after a few seconds. He's not Blanc at United

More importantly despite his size and stature I rarely see anything to suggest hes above average in physical strength and he doesnt mark very tightly, which would normally be the benefit of having a bigger frame. It could be something he improves and learns in the coming years, alternatively maybe he just doesnt like being body to body and might continue to play how he does now, as if he was a smaller player than he is.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I'd say about average/Lindelof/Pique speed. Not quick but isnt going to be left too far behind after a few seconds. He's not Blanc at United

More importantly despite his size and stature I rarely see anything to suggest hes above average in physical strength and he doesnt mark very tightly, which would normally be the benefit of having a bigger frame. It could be something he improves and learns in the coming years, alternatively maybe he just doesnt like being body to body and might continue to play how he does now, as if he was a smaller player than he is.
Ah see now this is my girpe. If we are upgrading on Lindelof I would rather we get a pacey center back.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He has similar aerial stats to Lindelof, winning
Ah see now this is my girpe. If we are upgrading on Lindelof I would rather we get a pacey center back.
He's definitely quicker than Lindelof. He burned Sane for pace a few times for Spain. Ironically, it's his aerial prowess that let's him down for his size, but it's not a huge weakness, especially beside Maguire.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He has similar aerial stats to Lindelof, winning

He's definitely quicker than Lindelof. He burned Sane for pace a few times for Spain. Ironically, it's his aerial prowess that let's him down for his size, but it's not a huge weakness, especially beside Maguire.
Lindelof can jump 6 feet in the air to knee someone in the face but can't judge a long ball at the back :lol: