Pau Torres

Adnan

Talent Spotter
oof... i trust what you post about players, and what you just posted does not sound good at all. maybe hes being brought in to backup lindelof instead of replacing him?
I've very rarely watched the player tbh with you mate. But he's rated quite highly by people who watch him regularly and his style of defending is more reading the game type than a proactive style we're accustomed to in England from what I've been told. His passing with his left foot is very good but his right foot is weak and he can be got at by teams who are adept at a concerted press which would force him onto his right foot. The below video is from a Villareal fan who gives a more detailed analysis of the player and talks about the player's strengths and weaknesses.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looks class.

Certainly looks very good on the ball. And if the video @Adnan posted is right about his ability to read the game being his biggest strength then those are two qualities that will go a long way towards making you a top class modern CB.

I'm sure a lot of people would be put off by us not prioritising pace and aerial ability though. At least he looks a bit taller than Lindelof I guess.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just a comparison between the three.

I have watched him few times before last season and this season. Defensively similar to Lindelof but on the ball, he’s class. In ball playing, he is miles better than Lindelof from what I watched and some of the progressive aspects in the stat proves it.

He has release clause, we could easily get him but no chance now because we chose to give Bailly new contract.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is aerial dominance something we need since Henderson took over De Gea?
I'm sure Henderson will improve us in that regard but it's not like he's looked super-dominant in all situations. We've continued to look ropey on set-pieces, for example. Don't think it's fair on Henderson to expect him to single-handedly solve that problem.

I think the bigger question is how much aerial dominance matters generally relative to other aspects of the game, like ability on the ball or the team's general defensive set-up and how players fit into it. I would have said City have the best defence in the league largely based on the latter skillset rather than the former, for example.

SATA

Is he a slightly inferior version of Laporte? Or is that a lazy comparison because they are both left footed? :lol:

Does Pau also start alongside Ramos in the national team?

BlahRules

Just a comparison between the three.

I have watched him few times before last season and this season. Defensively similar to Lindelof but on the ball, he’s class. In ball playing, he is miles better than Lindelof from what I watched and some of the progressive aspects in the stat proves it.

He has release clause, we could easily get him but no chance now because we chose to give Bailly new contract.
From the stats Pau looks like a proactive defender. The thing that intrigued me is the take-ons completed, if he can beat the press then it will help our attack massively.

Bondi77

I've very rarely watched the player tbh with you mate. But he's rated quite highly by people who watch him regularly and his style of defending is more reading the game type than a proactive style we're accustomed to in England from what I've been told. His passing with his left foot is very good but his right foot is weak and he can be got at by teams who are adept at a concerted press which would force him onto his right foot. The below video is from a Villareal fan who gives a more detailed analysis of the player and talks about the player's strengths and weaknesses.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If this was your concern, you should jump in Botman's train then. He's not quick, but very strong in the air.
I'll be honest, not seen much of him/heard much but just watched some highlights (ahuh... I know it's YouTube highlights), but he looks a specimen? Also thought his speed looked decent.

Like the physicality of him, plenty of examples where a sliding tackle/put the ball out would've been perfectly acceptable and he just stands up, muscles the guy off the ball and turns with it. Sort of Stam-ish.

Good passer too, including some pinged 40 yarders with ease.

Still young and 4 years of a contract left but someone could be getting a player there

A-man

For 50M odd, I don’t think he will be backup. We already have Axel and Bailly for that
At the same time, would we sell Lindelof for less? Or what would be his market value, ie the price where we would sell him?

Ekeke

His CB partner 35 year old Raul Albiol was man of the match. So not a game to suggest Torres was a difference maker. He barely won the ball all game. Albiol also made 10 more passes than him and scored

croadyman

Varane would still be my first choice but do think he will end up doing a Ramos in the end, therefore won't write this guy off but yeah as others have said does have an uncanny resemblance to Lindelof

Devil may care

I don't think there's anything in this, same as Milenkovic, just their agents using their home media to generate interest and we know that we are the clickbait kings for journos. He looks so left sided I can't see the point, Maguire plays there and if he wanted to play as the RCB you can guarantee he already would be.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
At the same time, would we sell Lindelof for less? Or what would be his market value, ie the price where we would sell him?
Think we'd be daft to sell Lindelof at all. He knows how to stay fit which is a trait not many of our CBs seem to possess.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think we'd be daft to sell Lindelof at all. He knows how to stay fit which is a trait not many of our CBs seem to possess.
:lol: damning indictment of our previous CBs if all you have to do is stay fit.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
From what i've heard from regular observers of the player, he's average aerially, average pace and very one footed. He seems like a player that isn't suited to the English game and we'd have to be very patient with him if we signed him.
nooooo!

if we go for him I’m going to have to trust the scouts (who have been bringing in hit after hit these days) and the process on this one. I don’t really get it if he’s quite slow and he thrives on Maguires side but who knows…

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol: damning indictment of our previous CBs if all you have to do is stay fit.
Well, yeah, to be honest that's at least half the criteria for me at this point :lol:

G-manc

I recorded the game last night specifically to watch him.

He is very left footed, seemed quite composed but looked a bit cumbersome in his movements which would worry me if he were to play alongside Maguire. Some of his forward passing was good but he seemed to sit quite deep and rarely moved forward with the ball, although, i accept he may have been asked not to as a tactic. He doesn't seem very mobile.

They said on the commentary before the game that Emery has stated he's the best he's ever worked with.

laughtersassassin

Save the money for a CDM and RW imo. If we have some left over after getting this two then go for a CB

Davie Moyes

I recorded the game last night specifically to watch him.

He is very left footed, seemed quite composed but looked a bit cumbersome in his movements which would worry me if he were to play alongside Maguire. Some of his forward passing was good but he seemed to sit quite deep and rarely moved forward with the ball, although, i accept he may have been asked not to as a tactic. He doesn't seem very mobile.

They said on the commentary before the game that Emery has stated he's the best he's ever worked with.
He really said that? Or either he knows Torres will be sold and wants to hype him up for a large transfer fee.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Looks calm and composed in that above compilation. Not concerned about being pressed in the slightest, just picks out his pass. Granted, those might just be his best bits mind.

People who don't like Lindelof will absolutely despise Pau Torres if he comes here. He's all of the criticisms of Lindelof cranked up to 11.

Bottom 1% across all centre backs across the Big 5 leagues for tackles made, bottom 5% for pressures, bottom 10% for dribblers tackled, bottom 15% for aerial duels won. He's also very slow in terms of acceleration, although has a pretty high top speed.

He also shares Lindelof's positive traits. Reads the game well, nice positioning, good 1v1 because he doesn't overcommit, comfortable on the ball, nice passing range.

He's basically a left-footed Lindelof, although Vic's a lot better aerially and a bit more aggressive/proactive (and we know that he's a passive defender, so this says a lot)

AKDevil

People who don't like Lindelof will absolutely despise Pau Torres if he comes here. He's all of the criticisms of Lindelof cranked up to 11.

Bottom 1% across all centre backs across the Big 5 leagues for tackles made, bottom 5% for pressures, bottom 10% for dribblers tackled, bottom 15% for aerial duels won. He's also very slow in terms of acceleration, although has a pretty high top speed.

He also shares Lindelof's positive traits. Reads the game well, nice positioning, good 1v1 because he doesn't overcommit, comfortable on the ball, nice passing range.

He's basically a left-footed Lindelof, although Vic's a lot better aerially and a bit more aggressive/proactive (and we know that he's a passive defender, so this says a lot)
interesting on the stats but does he pass the eye test which is more important? Could see how you have those stats and still be a good defender or not be a liability in a good defensive unit.

Canuckred64

If his stats are so poor how come Real Madrid have supposed to have him earmarked as the Ramos replacement and seemed to be upset we are going to sign him?

jamesjimmybyrondean

He likes a long pass. Maybe whenever we play the McFred midfield, Torres and Maguire can cover their deficiencies with good ball distribution and McFred can cover Torres and Maguire through their aggression. I don't know if that could work

A-man

Absolutely agree. And we never know how a new CB would fit in the PL, in the team, with AWB and Maguire, etc.

But everything is for sale. Just as Torres seems to be for sale for 50 mill. What would Lindelof’s price be? At what money would we sell him? I seriously don’t think it would be below 50 mill.

A-man

Difficult to judge when it’s Arsenal. Would like to see him against a good team not relegation fodder
Yes and this was the highlights, not the missed passes etc. I watched parts of the game and thought he was ok but not more than that.

Lappen

He is a good defender but I got a feeling he want suite us that well, or most premier league teams. Kind of like Lindeföf I believe they both suites the Spanish, Portuguese league better.