Pau Torres

Blood Mage

For all we know Ten Hag will love Lindelof. A lot of our players are better than they've shown this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well he’s Swedish captain, he won’t want to be 4th choice
If ETH plays 3 at the back he likely won't be. I would actually be surprised if Maguire was part of a back 2 as well. We'll have to wait and see I guess, but Lindelof looks like a player ETH would want to keep in the squad. He'll look to offload Jones/Baily before anyone else anyway.

Rocknrolla69er

Does Torres even play anyway similar to Lindelof or do people just say that comparison because they look strikingly similar?
It annoys the feck out of me, its such a lazy comparison. They are absolutely nothing alike.

Torres is bigger physically
Stronger physically
Better in 1 on 1 situations
I'd say faster too.

He's clearly a level above Lindelof

As someone's mentioned, he's similar in style to Rio Ferdinand, very easy on the eye with his defending doesn't make rash decisions, he d be a very solid signing for CB. I was very impressed with him when we've played Villareal.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If ETH plays 3 at the back he likely won't be. I would actually be surprised if Maguire was part of a back 2 as well. We'll have to wait and see I guess, but Lindelof looks like a player ETH would want to keep in the squad. He'll look to offload Jones/Baily before anyone else anyway.
I’m still assuming he wants Timber as well. So 2 or 3 out of Varane, Maguire, Timber and Maguire. Also just to chuck in that under the right coach I think shaws position will end up LCB.

think Bailly and Jones are definitely a go. Based on the above I think we could get rid of Lindelof too. Swedish captain won’t want to sit on the bench flicking his hair all season. Or maybe he will

golden_blunder

Staff
For all we know Ten Hag will love Lindelof. A lot of our players are better than they've shown this season.
Yes they are but he’s had 6 seasons to show us and i feel like we’re still having the same concerns with him as day 1.

in fact I’d liken it to Pogba. Maybe he will get better under a new manager/different formation/different teammates. Seasons later we are finally letting him go.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He's very similar in terms of being a backfoot reactionary defender who doesn't confront danger all that well but he has some of the physical advantages you mentioned. But he's also playing in a league where you have to deal with less crosses and physical bodies. So how well it translates to the premier league we dont know.

Importantly he developed a knack for goalscoring last season and none of our CBs can be relied on as a threat from set pieces so at least that would be an addition.
Quite confident that this is a myth. There is more crosses and at least as many aerial duels in La Liga (if not more) these days.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m still assuming he wants Timber as well. So 2 or 3 out of Varane, Maguire, Timber and Maguire. Also just to chuck in that under the right coach I think shaws position will end up LCB.

think Bailly and Jones are definitely a go. Based on the above I think we could get rid of Lindelof too. Swedish captain won’t want to sit on the bench flicking his hair all season. Or maybe he will
Timber I think will be deployed at RB, especially if you consider AWB being flogged off.

If its a back 3 under ETH for this season, I would imagine its Torres - Maguire - Varane with Lindelof as back-up for any of these should they be injured (most likely always Varane).

Jibbs

For what? He’s a shockingly bad defender, so surely you can’t mean for Manchester United if we want to get back to the top?
he is a ball playing CB, and I don’t find hima step down from any other defender that we have.
I don’t think Varane or Maguire would like to sit on bench, but Lindelof can. I think we should definitely get Torres and sell one of Varane and Maguire and get DeLigt as well.

golden_blunder

Staff
he is a ball playing CB, and I don’t find hima step down from any other defender that we have.
I don’t think Varane or Maguire would like to sit on bench, but Lindelof can. I think we should definitely get Torres and sell one of Varane and Maguire and get DeLigt as well.
You don’t find Lindelof a step down? Either you need to go to specsavers, you’re in denial or other defenders have all seen better days

Red the Bear

Something less generic
My big concern is that a varane Torres partnership might end up as too passive especially without and extremely defensive minded midfielder in front of them.

Maybe we're looking at Shipping varane off?

PoTMS

You don’t find Lindelof a step down? Either you need to go to specsavers, you’re in denial or other defenders have all seen better days
Varane is a class above but Lindelof, Maguire and Bailly too (when fit) are all much of muchness. All pretty average players. If we do get Torres, I'm sure Lindelof would be more likely to accept second fiddle than say Maguire.

Yagami

Good post resistant
vs us at Old Trafford:

Only issue with this video is the guy obviously edited out any mistakes he made

golden_blunder

Staff
Varane is a class above but Lindelof, Maguire and Bailly too (when fit) are all much of muchness. All pretty average players. If we do get Torres, I'm sure Lindelof would be more likely to accept second fiddle than say Maguire.
Maguires top level is higher than Lindelof though. Just he had a very shitty season. You could argue the same for Bailly bar the injuries and brain farts

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Really? When he was at Malaga?
That does sound odd... could I have seen him playing fo Spain (or Spain U-18s)? I just remember thinking he and De Light might be a very good pairing. I certainly said he was a better bet than Varane - I was suspicious of why Madrid were selling him. Now I sort of wonder about Varane-Torres as a pairing. All that said, I still think Lindelof is good and would benefit from having a great CB next to him

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
I have a feeling Fletcher and Murtough really wants him instead of Timber. He has several good seasons behind im in a much tougher league than Eredivisie. Ten Hag is probably pushing for Timber though and its all about the fee for both. If its similar Torres is a much safer bet.

Teja

I assume we'll move Varane to RCB if we sign this guy. Can anyone recall if he was good in that position when he played alongside Maguire?

Remember the geese

I have a feeling Fletcher and Murtough really wants him instead of Timber. He has several good seasons behind im in a much tougher league than Eredivisie. Ten Hag is probably pushing for Timber though and its all about the fee for both. If its similar Torres is a much safer bet.
Possibly. It's also possible that we are in for both.

Mainoldo

Howson isnt the reason most viewers watch Paddock to be fair.

United stand is 100% full of shitheads though
The Paddock is so dry it’s embarrassing. Only time they get views is when Pogba’s on the thumbnail. Don’t have a clue what they are going to do next season

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The Paddock is so dry it’s embarrassing. Only time they get views is when Pogba’s on the thumbnail. Don’t have a clue what they are going to do next season
Im guessing its dry for you because you favour United Stands drivelling bullshit? Conspiracy theories that are more creative than Disney land.

Andrew7582

Im guessing its dry for you because you favour United Stands drivelling bullshit? Conspiracy theories that are more creative than Disney land.
I wouldn't want to watch that massive narcissist Howson even if you paid me, thorougly unpleasant bloke.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wouldn't want to watch that massive narcissist Howson even if you paid me, thorougly unpleasant bloke.
Again, most the viewers of Paddock likely dony watch it for him. Theres 3-4 other regulars ahead of him.

MalaysianRed7

£51m for Torres is insane if the opportunity cost is £43m for Timber. He’s a good player - he was excellent on and off the ball against us in the EL final and far from disastrous in the games we beat them in, and had an excellent CL campaign in general.

However, while I’ve not watched Timber anywhere near as much, he’s also impressed me in the handful of games I’ve watched him in, and by all accounts from the Netherlands, is one of the best defenders they’ve produced in recent history. He would not get this much acclaim if he wasn’t any good, considering the level of centre backs that the Dutch have churned out in the past decade (Blind, Van Dijk, De Vrij, De Ligt). He’s also 4 years younger than Torres.

I also wouldn’t sign both, before anyone suggests that. We clearly have a limited budget, and a big chunk will have to be allocated to the midfield, which is an even bigger problem than the defence, and an attacker. We can get by with a Dalot-Timber-Varane-Shaw back line.

MalaysianRed7

Rest assured lads. Paddock and United Stand are both crap.
:lol: Hardly watch either, although in fairness, Ricky has some decent insight on tactics. Get my United fix mostly from Rio and Nev, albeit I disagree with them at times too.

Mainoldo

They literally provide the same news. One of them just lacks charism and talk like they speak or Manchester. Whilst the other channel gives the same information but more entertaining.

But enjoy Jay and Jesus being promoted to do United UK gold.

Andrew7582

Again, most the viewers of Paddock likely dony watch it for him. Theres 3-4 other regulars ahead of him.
Even if he isn't in every video he is co-owner of the channel, so on that basis alone i'm not going to support it.

Blood Mage

:wenger:
Howson comes out with some incredibly bizarre and needlessly inflammatory statements at times. He generally has more football knowledge than most of the clowns on these fan channels though. Ricky from The United Stand is probably the best of a very bad bunch overall.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
United Stand is the biggest fan channel by a country mile so Mark does something right and is a smart guy as well. Personally i love watching him, even though i dont agree with everything he says and he does milk transfer rumours to the fullest. He is way more entertaining than the rest out there + Ricky is also a decent addition. He often disagrees with Mark and mostly get it right. Seems like a guy with a lot of knowledge.

Anyway a smaller decent channel who talks a lot about United, is Atlantis Fotball. He mostly talk about tactics and potensial targets over news.

Last edited:

Drizzle

I'm generally an opinionated person, but I find it hard to generate any negative feelings towards United's fan channels. They all appear to be fairly professionally put together and have a decent range of views and characters on there. Of course some of them annoy me a little but then I just stop watching. There's enough choice out there if you want to hear people blather on about united for a bit. I just don't get how they seem to provoke such outrage or antipathy.

Andrew7582

Howson comes out with some incredibly bizarre and needlessly inflammatory statements at times. He generally has more football knowledge than most of the clowns on these fan channels though. Ricky from The United Stand is probably the best of a very bad bunch overall.
I got into a conversation with Howson in the comments section about Ashley Williams when he wanted United to sign him, and the only defence of his position he could come up with was that Rio rated him.

Last edited: