Paul Ince could have done it...

CM

I'm not sure he's even trying to ruffle any feathers by saying this. I think the general point is a fair one. In theory, Solskjaer could do very well for us in the interim period and then get the job full-time and not do so well. It wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened.

Problem is Ince is too thick to convey his actual point effectively without doubling down on the whole 'I/Bruce/Hughes could've done what Ole is doing now' mantra. I find him pretty inoffensive for this reason - he's a bit of a joke figure and even his own colleagues have more or less laughed it off when he's made these comments on camera.

norm87cro

Let's be honest. Ince was a great player for us and a fantastic part of our midfield back from 90 to 94. But he did sign for Liverpool and that alone doesn't put him near Ole( in terms of influence) so he can feck off...

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ahead of Carrick, never. A Champions League winner and integral member of probably the greatest United team ever of 2008.
It’s definitely up for debate. Ince was a proper force in his day and more than held his own in Serie A when it was easily the strongest league. I’d probably lean in his favor although it might be bias as he was part of my favorite United XI and the first name I ever had on a jersey.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I find him pretty inoffensive for this reason - he's a bit of a joke figure and even his own colleagues have more or less laughed it off when he's made these comments on camera.
I really wish they wouldn't encourage him.

redshaw

Players would be sick of Incey by the third game.

Ole's attitude, character, experience and studious nature are what's helped him so far. Not many ex players can come in and do what he's done. How many would stick with £75 million man Lukaku and play Pogba in a two.

We do have to stay grounded in reality though. We have to assess at the end of the season and if Ole gets the job we won't know for a full season or two.

Cockney Phil

I remember when he played for us, his performances were not always excellent. He saw himself as Robbo’s natural replacement and captain but that never turned out. Fergie called him a ‘bottler’ which said it all. When he played for the Scouses, which was a strange move, he embraced their culture. If the Scousers win the Prem he will side with them, no loyalty to anyone. In the end I thought he was a bit of muppet and his latest comments haven’t altered my opinion of him.

crossy1686

career ending
Paul Ince insuring he never get another management job ever again.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47111521

Man Utd: Why I stand by my view I could have done Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s job – Paul Ince
Goes on to say: Anyone could see the issues at United. Himself, Bruce or Hughes could have gone in and fixed it, it was that obvious.

Caretaker managers never do well long term. Look at De Matteo and Shakespeare for example.

And Pochettino should be United’s next manager.

What a fecking bell end.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
At a different club, who have different memories of him, maybe he could have. It's not like Solskjaer's pre-United managerial career in England was phenomenal.

The problem is that, after Mourinho, we needed someone who would unite (pun unintended) the club - the players were at war with the management, the fanbase were divided on every issue, the boardroom were fighting with the coaches and so on. What Solskjaer's done has been to bring everyone together and point them in the same direction; Ince, not through any lack of managerial talent, nor through a less-than-stellar managerial history, but through having a toxic relationship with United's fans based on his decisions as a player, would not have been given the same trust as Solskjaer has.

TL:DR - shouldn't have moved to Liverpool if you wanted to manage United, Guv'nor.

What Ince doesn’t understand is that there would be uproar in him or Hughes went anywhere near the Utd job. Both have soiled their history since they left.

He seems to have a bee in his bonnet, because he things the only reason OGS got the job because he’s an ex Utd player. That’s why is always brings up himself, Hughes and Bruce.

The only valid point he has is that Utd need to wait until the end of the season before making a decision on the perm manager - although that’s what they are doing!

We shouldn’t appoint OGS as the manager of Utd based on what’s he’s done so far, but he’s got another 3-4 months and could make the decision very difficult.

As for winning 9/10 matches, I didn’t believe he could do it, because the cloud was so big over the club. He’s done more than anyone could have realistically expected. Winning away at Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs is a great achievement. Could Ince have done it, no - and Ince doesn’t have the pedigree, the knowhow or the intelligence to even have been considered.

Kapardin

I'm not sure he's even trying to ruffle any feathers by saying this. I think the general point is a fair one. In theory, Solskjaer could do very well for us in the interim period and then get the job full-time and not do so well. It wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened.

Problem is Ince is too thick to convey his actual point effectively without doubling down on the whole 'I/Bruce/Hughes could've done what Ole is doing now' mantra. I find him pretty inoffensive for this reason - he's a bit of a joke figure and even his own colleagues have more or less laughed it off when he's made these comments on camera.
Nope, he again reteirated he could do it. I think Ince is a bit jealous Ole has a chance at a top job, while his own management career is a shambles. Probably sees Ole in the same tier as himself and Bruce having lucked on to this appointment, though that isn't strictly the truth.

GBBQ

Wouldnt say its the hardest job to do what Oles done but not everyone could have done it.
What?? I am on the fence about Ole as the long term manager (and mostly because we have had 3 missteps so far and I don't want to have to go back to square one in 2 years if he's not up to it) but to think that what he is done isn't an amazing achievement is a bit naive.

We were 11 points adrift of the top 4, form was patchy, our players weren't performing, players were agitating to leave. He's got the likes of Pogba and Rashford firing again, Martial signed a new contract and specifically thanked him.

We're scoring for fun, defence has improved, we're unbeaten in 10 games and some big scalps along the way. he's also mad United fun to watch and got the fans onside. I think he's done brilliant and I don't think many would manage that.

Skills

Snitch
Weren't the likes of Ince shitting on the squad for a lack of character during Mourinho's tenure? Why would he think he'd get the same response out of the players, even if it takes no special tactical acumen?

There's a reason the club went for Ole. Not just for his experience, but he's worked with some of the players before and hasn't stuck his boot into the club and it's player at every given opportunity.

Matt007a

Spoiler alert: Ince couldn't have done what OGS has done because nobody likes Paul Ince and his arrogant opinions. Players take to a guy like OGS because apart from his status, he's just a nice guy who people gravitate to. Ince is bitter and up his own arse.

Renegade

No way he could have done what Ole done and the reason being the difference in their characters. Ole has completly got the fans onside. However I do think Ince is correct in saying that caretakers rarely work out long term. I wouldn’t feel confident giving Ole the job without seeing how he can manage when times are hard and morale drops after a few defeats.

youngrell

His complete lack of self-awareness is enough to tell me he couldn't do what Ole has done.

He feels everything Ole has achieved so far is due to his personality, but his personality is nothing like Ince's :rolleyes:

johanovic

Both Ince and Hughes have proved they are not very good as managers, that´s a simple fact as seen by their managerial career stats. How bitter Ince looks making these comments and then continuing to dig himself further down that hole is remarkable. Solskjaer has won the league in Norway and done well in Europe with Molde. Yes he did not do well with Cardiff but I would make the case that few would have been able to with that club and the players they had at that time. When Mourinho was sacked and Solskjaer took over I was very happy like most United fans but I could not have dreamed about the way Ole has turned this around. I feel Ole is not getting the respect he deserves by some but I think most fans are getting around to having him as the next permanent United manager. Putting Lukaku on the bench and playing Rashford as our striker was both brave and right and show Ole is not afraid to make the big decisions. Selling Fellaini was great as he´s never been a United midfielder and Ole was not afraid to throw him out. Getting Martial to sign a new contract is also something Ole had an effect on as that would not have happend under Mourinho. I think you are seeing what effect a smart,humble and boss that treats everybody with respects has and compair that to the arrogant Mourinho and his dreadful behaviour. Ole learned from Fergie and could not have had a better mentor than him. Ole was and is a very smart person and this turnaround is nothing short of remarkable. Mourinho looks worse and worse each game we continue to win and long may it continue.

crossy1686

career ending
Ince is obviously bitter about Solskjaer getting the temp job over himself, Hughes or Bruce. He probably feels like they’ve all managed in England and done better than Solskjaer has and therefore Solskjaer has totally lucked out on the appointment.

He’s that ignorant I wouldn’t put it past him thinking that Solskjaer has been sitting around doing nothing since leaving Cardiff.

I wonder what Hughes and Bruce think about Ince throwing their name around anyway? If I were them I’d distance myself from it, big time.

Jeffthered

The thing is, is main points are pretty sensible, Ole needed to lift the gloom of the club, the players.. and then work with them in a positive way. I don't think anyone is saying this is something complicated.. but he doesn't give credit to the nature and affinity that Ole has with the club and fans. This has made a big difference, and is an added value. Ince, I am not sure would carry this with him, he seems a very, very intense character. Hughes is a legend to all United fans, so it may be a little different with him.

I think this piece is dismissive, and unnecessary, and he pretty much apologises by stating he was not trying to be disrespectful (to Ole..). Well, he was trying to be disrespectful.

Ole deserves the time and support from all who sincerely love United. Let's just see how it progresses.

Djemba-Djemba

The thing is, is main points are pretty sensible, Ole needed to lift the gloom of the club, the players.. and then work with them in a positive way. I don't think anyone is saying this is something complicated.. but he doesn't give credit to the nature and affinity that Ole has with the club and fans. This has made a big difference, and is an added value. Ince, I am not sure would carry this with him, he seems a very, very intense character. Hughes is a legend to all United fans, so it may be a little different with him.

I think this piece is dismissive, and unnecessary, and he pretty much apologises by stating he was not trying to be disrespectful (to Ole..). Well, he was trying to be disrespectful.

Ole deserves the time and support from all who sincerely love United. Let's just see how it progresses.
Nah he's ruined his legacy at Utd.

Can't stand him.

Irrational.

Ince says in the article that he has managed in all four divisions so he knows what he's on about.

What he's conveniently omitted is that he was sacked from each of those four jobs due to how shit he was.

So no Paul, you don't have a clue about management. Feck off.

Rolledo

In most shades of life a line like "I could've done that" is a clear enough indicator that you in fact could not.

Kapardin

Paul Ince insuring he never get another management job ever again.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47111521

Goes on to say: Anyone could see the issues at United. Himself, Bruce or Hughes could have gone in and fixed it, it was that obvious.

Caretaker managers never do well long term. Look at De Matteo and Shakespeare for example.

And Pochettino should be United’s next manager.

What a fecking bell end.
Turning out to be a cnut.